Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I'll be playing on Stella bellum. Rather put up with NGE than Bloodfin didn't mind it too much after it got patched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I'll be playing on Stella bellum. Rather put up with NGE than Bloodfin didn't mind it too much after it got patched.

True enough, and Stella Bellum will be complete, JTL and all when SWGEmu and any server based on it won't have JTL for another 5 years most likely.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Me and a group of goons who've never played SWG are interested in playing it with goons.

We have no loving idea what to get; SWGEmu, Bloodfin, Darklight, whatever this Stella Bellum thing is. Some advice, pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Swgemu = traditional vanilla swg true to the features before SoE hosed the game up. Biggest population of players afaik.

Bloodfin - ran by idiots, dont bother. It does have wavy glow sticks and some basic form of JTL though.

Darklight - now dead as per above posts

Stella whatever - i have no idea.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ahdinko posted:

Swgemu = traditional vanilla swg true to the features before SoE hosed the game up. Biggest population of players afaik.

Bloodfin - ran by idiots, dont bother. It does have wavy glow sticks and some basic form of JTL though.

Darklight - now dead as per above posts

Stella whatever - i have no idea.

So SWGemu would be the obvious choice then. Do goons still play it?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Skoll posted:

So SWGemu would be the obvious choice then. Do goons still play it?

Stella Bellum will be the most content complete version of Galaxies yet, and they have the infrastructure to provide the kind of stability you see from the Emu project but it's based on leaked source code from the live server as of I think 2009. The Emu project is being written from scratch and a lot still needs to be implemented.

Some people hated NGE. Some people didn't mind it, I'm one of the latter but I think most people are desperate enough for a content complete version of Galaxies to play whatever comes first, and I don't think SWGEmu will launch their live server for another 3+ years minimum.

tl;dr - go with Stella Bellum.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 15, 2016

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Stella Bellum will be the most content complete version of Galaxies yet, and they have the infrastructure to provide the kind of stability you see from the Emu project but it's based on leaked source code from the live server as of I think 2009. The Emu project is being written from scratch and a lot still needs to be implemented.

Some people hated NGE. Some people didn't mind it, I'm one of the latter but I think most people are desperate enough for a content complete version of Galaxies to play whatever comes first, and I don't think SWGEmu will launch their live server for another 3+ years minimum.

tl;dr - go with Stella Bellum.

I'd agree with this. The NGE really wasn't that bad. I personally thought it got very good towards the last year or so, which is what the leaked source code is at. Lots of content, fully working space combat, etc.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Levarris posted:

The NGE really wasn't that bad.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So what you guys are telling me is goons really don't play this anymore?

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Skoll posted:

So what you guys are telling me is goons really don't play this anymore?

I for one am in a holding pattern until Stella Bellum releases a live server which every indication suggests this will happen before year's end. At which time I'll probably start up a Goon Squad there.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Levarris posted:

I really didn't want to deal with running an MMO guild. It's not fun and like a 24/7 job that I am always on call for and don't get paid to do.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

laughing out loud

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

30.5 Days posted:

I really didn't want to deal with running an MMO guild. It's not fun and like a 24/7 job that I am always on call for and don't get paid to do.

Nice edit =P

Running an SWG Guild is not really a big deal. Not comparably to something like Mittens and his sprawling space empire in EVE.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

I'll take a finished NGE server over waiting another three-five years.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Levarris posted:

Nice edit =P

Running an SWG Guild is not really a big deal. Not comparably to something like Mittens and his sprawling space empire in EVE.

Until someone places a house in the middle of the main street.... arrrrrrghhhh

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Ahdinko posted:

Until someone places a house in the middle of the main street.... arrrrrrghhhh

That's why you have to be a stickler when it come's to granting zoning rights.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Couldn't you evict people and essentially act as a HOA for your town?

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Couldn't you evict people and essentially act as a HOA for your town?

Later on in the NGE, you could actually. Citizenship can be revoked and you can forcibly "pack up" the structure if you don't want it in your city.

jenkemhuffs
Jan 5, 2014
I'm playing the poo poo out of the EMU on Basilisk. Decent population. Decent economy. About to launch Jedi. Should be getting good here soon. IGN: jawii or ocae I dont have much but can get you started with some armor and noob weaps. I'm leveling a Bounty Hunter right now in preparation of the uncoming Jedi update. I'll be grinding a Jedi as well, but am really looking forward to hunting some Jedi. Sooo many salty tears in this game!

jenkemhuffs fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 24, 2016

jenkemhuffs
Jan 5, 2014

Skoll posted:

Me and a group of goons who've never played SWG are interested in playing it with goons.

We have no loving idea what to get; SWGEmu, Bloodfin, Darklight, whatever this Stella Bellum thing is. Some advice, pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.
Bloodfin has 200 clients connected while Basilisk has 1000. How many are china farmers or multi boxer I don't know.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

jenkemhuffs posted:

I'm playing the poo poo out of the EMU on Basilisk. Decent population. Decent economy. About to launch Jedi. Should be getting good here soon. IGN: jawii or ocae I dont have much but can get you started with some armor and noob weaps. I'm leveling a Bounty Hunter right now in preparation of the uncoming Jedi update. I'll be grinding a Jedi as well, but am really looking forward to hunting some Jedi. Sooo many salty tears in this game!

The problem with Pre-CU jedi is the very fact they are an alpha class. This is best illustrated on Bloodfin.

This is the future of basilisk. Glowbats everywhere because why play as anything else? Nothing else quite measures up to the task.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
Jedi should simply be removed or implemented as originally designed. They were supposed to be a permadeath character slot that opens up separately from your main.
Flash your laser dick around and get whacked. Start over a month-long grind.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Republicanus posted:

Jedi should simply be removed or implemented as originally designed. They were supposed to be a permadeath character slot that opens up separately from your main.
Flash your laser dick around and get whacked. Start over a month-long grind.

How did you originally become a Jedi anyway? Before the NGE.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Node posted:

There was the village and the hologrind. The hologrind is what I did and basically the game selected 4 or 5 professions (completely random) so you would have to max them out to become force sensitive. Village is what SWGEmu is doing since it was introduced in Publish 9 and Emu is going for Publish 14

Levarris posted:

The problem with Pre-CU jedi is the very fact they are an alpha class. This is best illustrated on Bloodfin.

This is the future of basilisk. Glowbats everywhere because why play as anything else? Nothing else quite measures up to the task.

Just like Ultima Online private shards, people go way too far with their "muh nostalgia" circle jerks. Rather than addressing the problems that Galaxies had, they're going to recreate them and the end result is going to appeal to no one that actually played while the game was live.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 25, 2016

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Node posted:

http://www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/16/a-jedi-saga/

All of koster's essays about SWG are really, really good.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

30.5 Days posted:

Raph Koster is awesome. The creative designer behind SWG, and he had a very important role in Ultima Online as well. Isn't he wasting his talents away on mobile games or other similar garbage now?

Speaking of, UO just turned 19 today.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Node posted:

Raph Koster is awesome. The creative designer behind SWG, and he had a very important role in Ultima Online as well. Isn't he wasting his talents away on mobile games or other similar garbage now?

Speaking of, UO just turned 19 today.

He's working on fantasy EVE now so idk that's a thing

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

30.5 Days posted:

He's working on fantasy EVE now so idk that's a thing

Nevermind. I guess he is working on Crowfall. Now I'm way more excited about Crowfall than I was.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 25, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

30.5 Days posted:

This is cool thanks for the link

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Gonna play this again I guess

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Levarris posted:

When jedi were first released a fencer/tkm could basically whoop the rear end out of one due to dodge not having stacking penalties at the time.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Ahdinko posted:

Shotgun not running the guild. Hans, Drone, 2DCAT or Firewhizzle, its all on you boys

I didn't even see this thread until just now. Luckily for me, the game imploded before I was selected as the chosen one.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
The most complete, fully fleshed out and 100% working version of the game is Star Wars Galaxies.

It however was executed in 2005. RIP Star Wars Galaxies.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Why did SOE implement the NGE, anyway? Were subscriptions dropping? Did they think this would reach a wider audience or something? I feel so sorry for battered and bruised SWG, even though I only played it in beta. At least it is resting in peace now.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Wanted that WoW money, figured dumbing things down would lead to wild success!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I've made a character called Ioseb Jughashvili on the SWG EMU Basilisk server so friend me!

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Even after the NGE it was infinitely better than the poo poo we got post 2004.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
In the last year or so that SWG was around, the city invasion PVP battles were actually sort of fun vOv

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mulva posted:

Pretty much this from my understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mulva posted:

I'm not defending the producers, who were idiots later on in the history of the game, but I wonder if the reason they made the NGE what it was because they realized the game had a shelf life remaining. Rather than pray that they ~100k accounts that fled with the EQ2 and WoW releases, they just tried to capture as much money as they could from the Ep. 3 bump in sales as well as players who did the Station access pass where you could play all the older SOE games for one price. I'm guessing, deep down, they knew they were tied to a sinking ship.

quote:

Just like Ultima Online private shards, people go way too far with their "muh nostalgia" circle jerks. Rather than addressing the problems that Galaxies had, they're going to recreate them and the end result is going to appeal to no one that actually played while the game was live.

If I were running a private server, I would honestly just give players blue frogs and let them make whatever they want, to a point, and beyond that they would need to go gather resources to make really elite stuff.

I think that'd be somewhat in the initial spirit of SWG, where everything is up to the players to create. You'd put everyone on equal footing to start and what they make of the game beyond that is up to them.

Except I'd delete any player structure the second it runs out of maintenance. gently caress ghost towns.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 20, 2016

• Locked thread