Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Looking forward to Darklight. Had fun with it last time I played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

randombattle posted:

Same.

I'd play again on a server that's not run by crazy people demanding people worship them.

I'm trying to figure out which one in particular you mean but there's been too many of them.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Elblanco posted:

So, darklight looks pretty cool. I never played the original swg, would I need a copy of it like bloodfin says? Or is swgemu the actual game client I need?

You need a copy of the game then SWGEmu downloads on top of that installation.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Node posted:

I think the thread title needs to be changed because the part about people still playing it seems to be an incorrect advertisement.

People play. Just not enough across Bloodfin/Legends/Nova/whatever else there is to support a whole new server. Problem with SWG is that it's split between the versions people most prefer. Vanilla Pre-CU, modded Pre-CU, vanilla NGE and modded NGE. Kind of like Ultima Online's private shard scene but without being content complete.

A lot of people also wouldn't know even if they wanted to play since people are generally in the a "let me know when JTL/Suncrusher (emulator finishes development) launches" mode.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I'll be playing on Stella bellum. Rather put up with NGE than Bloodfin didn't mind it too much after it got patched.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Skoll posted:

So SWGemu would be the obvious choice then. Do goons still play it?

Stella Bellum will be the most content complete version of Galaxies yet, and they have the infrastructure to provide the kind of stability you see from the Emu project but it's based on leaked source code from the live server as of I think 2009. The Emu project is being written from scratch and a lot still needs to be implemented.

Some people hated NGE. Some people didn't mind it, I'm one of the latter but I think most people are desperate enough for a content complete version of Galaxies to play whatever comes first, and I don't think SWGEmu will launch their live server for another 3+ years minimum.

tl;dr - go with Stella Bellum.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 15, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

I'll take a finished NGE server over waiting another three-five years.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Couldn't you evict people and essentially act as a HOA for your town?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Node posted:

How did you originally become a Jedi anyway? Before the NGE.

There was the village and the hologrind. The hologrind is what I did and basically the game selected 4 or 5 professions (completely random) so you would have to max them out to become force sensitive. Village is what SWGEmu is doing since it was introduced in Publish 9 and Emu is going for Publish 14

Levarris posted:

The problem with Pre-CU jedi is the very fact they are an alpha class. This is best illustrated on Bloodfin.

This is the future of basilisk. Glowbats everywhere because why play as anything else? Nothing else quite measures up to the task.

Just like Ultima Online private shards, people go way too far with their "muh nostalgia" circle jerks. Rather than addressing the problems that Galaxies had, they're going to recreate them and the end result is going to appeal to no one that actually played while the game was live.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 25, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

30.5 Days posted:

He's working on fantasy EVE now so idk that's a thing

Nevermind. I guess he is working on Crowfall. Now I'm way more excited about Crowfall than I was.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Even after the NGE it was infinitely better than the poo poo we got post 2004.

• Locked thread