Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mulva posted:

Wanted that WoW money, figured dumbing things down would lead to wild success!

I'm not defending the producers, who were idiots later on in the history of the game, but I wonder if the reason they made the NGE what it was because they realized the game had a shelf life remaining. Rather than pray that they ~100k accounts that fled with the EQ2 and WoW releases, they just tried to capture as much money as they could from the Ep. 3 bump in sales as well as players who did the Station access pass where you could play all the older SOE games for one price. I'm guessing, deep down, they knew they were tied to a sinking ship.

quote:

Just like Ultima Online private shards, people go way too far with their "muh nostalgia" circle jerks. Rather than addressing the problems that Galaxies had, they're going to recreate them and the end result is going to appeal to no one that actually played while the game was live.

If I were running a private server, I would honestly just give players blue frogs and let them make whatever they want, to a point, and beyond that they would need to go gather resources to make really elite stuff.

I think that'd be somewhat in the initial spirit of SWG, where everything is up to the players to create. You'd put everyone on equal footing to start and what they make of the game beyond that is up to them.

Except I'd delete any player structure the second it runs out of maintenance. gently caress ghost towns.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread