Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
scary thing
Skeleton
Jon Pop
Nutshack
How It's Made TV Show
View Results

• Locked thread
phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Emperor Palpatine was pretty scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Hexxus from Fern Gully.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j16qvvZ_Eis

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

me irl

Sialia
Feb 12, 2016

But the song was catchy.

Don't you open that... Trapdoor!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

SilvergunSuperman posted:

What's this from?

that creepy motherfucker is from ghost writer which despite the name was a lighthearted children's educational show about the power of reading

then this guy shows up and like encases people in loving bubblegum and moves on his own and is genuinely freaky as poo poo

and I'm pretty sure it was a two part episode and I never saw the second half so it was like just a bunch of lovable literate rascals getting horribly mostly-murdered with no resolution ever

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
When I was a kid I was scared I was going to die alone

now that i'm older and know I'm def going to die alone I realize it ain't so bad

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

when I was a little kid I was terrified of aids and cancer

then I saw once upon a forest and was suddenly afraid of aids, cancer, and getting killed by toxic gasses released from transportation accidents

not a rereg hth
Sep 2, 2016

by LadyAmbien
The introduction to Another World / Out of This World was terrifying, because I knew that tiger thing would eat me and there wasn't anything I could do to stop it.

link

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

please tell me what this is from

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

Quoting myself because I found a video of this goddamn show and it's still loving scary. Seriously who thought this poo poo was gonna work? Also Rosie O'Donnell is in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ge3AJPCPF0

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Munsun posted:

please tell me what this is from

Hint:

The Last Starfighter

This freaked me the gently caress out every time...

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
El Chupacabra (I grew up in Florida so idek how) and Cell from DBZ with his hosed up tail that sucked people

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The Blair Witch Project. My 10 year old self was absolutely convinced it was real and it really freaked me out for quite a while after watching it

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

While Fire in the Sky was outright scarier, this haunted me more because they could be anywhere. It took a while before I could sleep well again. Still gives me a little shiver watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdWrvhF1HvA

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcZUPDMXzJ8

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I had quite a few fears as a kid, and all of them came back to revisit me when the movie "Poltergeist" was released. The tree outside the window was pretty freaky. When I was in 5th grade, we lived on the 3rd floor of the base apartment complex, and there was a massive oak tree outside in the courtyard. One branch managed to grow right out to the point where it would brush against my bedroom window whenever the wind blew.

but the worst memory was my clown doll. It was large, and my mom put it in the chair right next to my door (This was when I was about 8 or 9). I was terrified of that drat thing. I imagined that it would come to life in the dead of night, scamper to my bed, and kill me in my sleep. I eventually managed to damage it enough that mom got decided it couldn't be repaired any longer and finally got rid of it. When I saw Poltergeist, all that came flooding back.

Steven Spielberg can rot in hell.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
the loving pink slime bathtub monster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmhFFGIWoG4

i had recurring nightmares for years and it wasn't until high school when we were all talking about nightmares we had as a kid that i brought up the neon pink bathtub monster i had nightmares about. in unison my entire group of friends said, 'what like in ghostbusters 2?' and they showed me the clip and i had my mind blown

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I was about 10, and my mom was working the late shift so I was alone until about midnight. Watching SCTV, a comedy sketch show. Maybe it was because I was home alone, but this episode scared me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlOtXaG4uxE

I turned the TV off right at the moment they show the kid in the fright wig, so I never saw how the episode ended. Haunted me for months.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

Gatekeeper posted:

those lil dolls bitin the crap out of Jane fonda in barbarella
Haha, I remember thinking those were cool as a little kid.

I saw a lot of inappropriate stuff as a child, Akira when I was six was fun but didn't really scare me since it was just cartoons. But the Hellraiser series at that same age got me pretty good:

Especially since my brother was able to find one of those little cubes and liked to freak me out with it haha. When you're a little kid and the gap between fantasy and reality is sort of pushed in that way, it can be pretty traumatizing.

Edit: Oh, I didn't like that one scene in Aeon Flux where the lady got her legs amputated, but less because of it being scary and more because it felt really unfair and just plain rude.

Buckets posted:

Quoting myself because I found a video of this goddamn show and it's still loving scary. Seriously who thought this poo poo was gonna work? Also Rosie O'Donnell is in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ge3AJPCPF0
This rat owns!! Thanks for linking that, I totally remember seeing it aired.

Also this Scary Story to Tell in the Dark and image that went with it scared me:

Not at first, but pretty soon after I read it my dad took me deep into the woods 'to show me something interesting.'

That something interesting was a mangled, decomposed horse carcass with a nicely exposed skull. Oh man did that freak me out, I had actually blocked the memory until he brought it up again recently.

Everdraed fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 4, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My parents were the kind-of dumb assholes who felt that limiting exposure to "mature" material was a healthy idea, then wondered why all their kids were total pussies well up until 12. So whenever we'd go to Palmer or West Coast Video I'd go off and sneak peeks into the horror aisle. All the gory, usually hand-drawn covers set my imagination on fire and because this was pre-internet I didn't find out until much later how terribly 95% of them were. As I got older I would literally practice walking down the aisle and reading one or two back covers to desensitize my candy-rear end. Even then touching the paper that had the images just felt.... wrong... like I was holding some grimoire that could summon the worst of whatever was on the cover.

I'm going to split this up into general covers I remember freaking me out followed by an awards section.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Spookiness

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AWARDS

Hellraiser wins "movie I recall having a reputation as the goriest and scariest of them all, with Pinhead being the baddest of the bads"

Pumpkinhead wins "most bizarre monster I remember on a cover"

Clint Howard on this cover earns the "why the gently caress was I ever afraid of this?" award

House II wins "most evocative of potential, especially when you consider how loving boring the actual movie is" award

Nightmare on Elm Street 5 wins "first time I remember noticing horror and comedy blending well"

Nightmare on Elm Street 3 wins "Thing my Power Rangers-loving rear end was most entranced by for the potential of superheroes fighting a nightmare demon"

The Blob earns the "Cover that I could recognize as tubular and rad even thought it scared the poo poo out of me," with honorary mention to The Stuff for doing the same

The Surgeon earns "Most arrogant tagline"-- you can't read it; it says 'First Jason... Then Freddy... Finally, A PROFESSIONAL'

The Incredible Melting Man earns "Cover so gory that it was one of the last ones I could stand to look at"

Slumber Party Massacre earns the "Cover that told me my sex drive had kicked in"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And top award goes to

CRITTERS

Look at that loving thing. It's like a Furby hosed a Komodo Dragon with a Dreamworks face. Even today I look at that and think "I would hate to run into that fucker"

And Critters 2 gets an honorary award for being the perfect blend of goofy as all gently caress yet still scary to a small child. I think that contributed to my unease around Venus Flytraps until I was an adult and marginally less of a dandy.

GOODNIGHT EVERYBODY

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Everdraed posted:

Also this Scary Story to Tell in the Dark and image that went with it scared me:

Not at first, but pretty soon after I read it my dad took me deep into the woods 'to show me something interesting.'

That something interesting was a mangled, decomposed horse carcass with a nicely exposed skull. Oh man did that freak me out, I had actually blocked the memory until he brought it up again recently.

The illustrations by Stephen Gammell of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark did a drat good job making relatively tame spooky stories into nightmares.

Family goes to Mexico and adopts a stray "dog"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

When the evil supercomputer in Superman 3 turns the dumpy broad into a cyborg.

https://youtu.be/fpTHrdemfQo

Hid under the covers every time.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

For years I watched this from an edit I taped from the TV with that scene missing. Years later I downloaded a clean cut - what the gently caress!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Everdraed posted:

oh man, this brought up bad memories of those books, especially that one story about the scarecrow. i think it was called "Harold" and it ended with a guy being killed(?) and flayed by the scarecrow. that shook me up when i read that as a kid.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

symbolic posted:

oh man, this brought up bad memories of those books, especially that one story about the scarecrow. i think it was called "Harold" and it ended with a guy being killed(?) and flayed by the scarecrow. that shook me up when i read that as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_I3ZVC8i74

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

did you just happen to have this on hand or

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K518NKsZzs&t=57s
thanks for knocking this nightmare fuel loose.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
My mom and dad let me watch robocop and predator when I was way too young, like, six or seven.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord

Buckets posted:

Oh another thing! Nickelodeon had a show apparently called And Now This back in the late 90's that had a segment where a man in a suit had his head replaced with a horrifying rat puppet. I can't find any screen shots or videos of it but I'm apparently not the only person who saw it because I found this drawing.

efb

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The seance scene in Beetlejuice where Barbara and Adam turn into creepy looking dried up corpse things. The idea of aging really fast in addition to how creepy they look really hosed with my mind.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Have goons posted spiders or the ocean and then exclaim how loving terrified they are

Also slenderman

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

A Typical Goon posted:

The Blair Witch Project. My 10 year old self was absolutely convinced it was real and it really freaked me out for quite a while after watching it

I was a similar age when it came out, initially they really played up the "found footage, this really happened" thing. I remember the sci-fi channel I think even showed some fake documentary on the Blair witch a few weeks before the movie came out just to hype up the whole "seriously guys its real" thing.

My dad scored a really good copy of it about a week before the theatrical release and one night while I was home alone by myself I watched it and it totally scared the poo poo out of me.

Then it apparently scared the poo poo out of everyone. It took a while before everyone realized it was just a movie, too. Didn't it have a tiny release at first, then it got picked up for a wide release afterwards because it was so popular? I remember tons of "holy poo poo can you believe this really happened??" hype before the truth came out

Aww thx you for postin this. I remember seeing Critters as a tiny lil guy. I also remember seeing Rocky Horror off-Broadway a number of years later and being very impressed by the guy who played Frank N Furter but not yet having the internet savvy to check imdb to see why he seemed so familiar (was imdb around yet in like '00/'01?)

But there he is, bottom left picture on the Critters cover. Terrence Mann. Talked with him after the show, he was super nice.

Apparently 9/11 killed this play which was sad because he was awesome and Sebastian fuckin Bach from skid row played riff raff which was extra dope and he too was very nice and friendly and when I explained that the girl I liked at school thought he was really hot and it would prob help me out a bit if I could get something signed for her he went like totally overboard givibg me signed poo poo for her and that's how I got to touch her boobs and pussy so thanks Sebastian Bach and thank you mind the walrus for finally making my Terrance mann mental connection after all these long years :)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Mind the Walrus - have you ever considered making a "Video Nasties" (cheesy graphic horror movies from the late 70s to early 90s) thread?

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

Machai posted:

The Berenstein Bears and the School Shooting

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

I reverse image searched this to see what it was from

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS