Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
scary thing
Skeleton
Jon Pop
Nutshack
How It's Made TV Show
View Results

• Locked thread
Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

KiteAuraan posted:

These fuckers. I'd be watching The Street, and then it would be some wall or something and from space these motherfuckers would show up. gently caress them.

I loved the yip yips. They are my favorite muppets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
Despite my fear of giant weird puppets as a child I inexplicably loved this movie for some reason. Everything was so otherworldly and fanciful while also being kinda dark and realistic.
I actually still prefer it over the first movie :ssh:

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I liked looking at skeletons in National Geographic when I was around 5 or 6. Love them bones, and so when I saw like the Crypt-keeper or another similar mobile skeleton I was weirdly okay with it. That skeleton lady portrait from Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark? I'd camp out in the library before school and look at the pictures for a rush and half before the day started. I was 'scared' yeah, because I knew I was supposed to be scared, but I also wanted to scope some more skeletons and it was all good. That's what scary skeleton men where - they existed to scare you but were well within the realm of make believe, because real skeletons just laid in the ground and were dug up and ended up as pictures in National Geographic or my junior scientist books. It was a well and good and, above all, safe, situation and I still love me some spooky skeletons.

However, this motherfucker? Where is the context for this?

How does this fucker fit into reality? Where does he belong?

Also the music and sound effects for Math Man on 321 contact. Very upsetting for some reason. Feels like a nightmare.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6D0pNmAIBg

There's a goon with the tornado thing for their pic, and every time I see it I still get a bit uncomfortable.

Sperghetti
Apr 21, 2010

Was just reminded of this horrifying poo poo, I think I'd suppressed it

As though Phil Collins needed help being nightmarishly awful

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

:stare:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw Alien Resurrection in the theater when I was 6. By then I was a huge Alien fan. I watched Alien and Aliens pretty much every day thanks to it being on TV all the time, I bought whatever Alien toys ended up on clearance at KayBee Toys, I even had a 10" Alien figure (came with a Predator, which at that point I didn't know what it was so I kinda ditched it somewhere and forgot about it) which I took everywhere for a little bit. So when I heard Resurrection was coming out, I had to see it. My dad asked me if I wanted to see either Starship Troopers or Alien Resurrection. My dad is cool.

I picked Res because Aliens, yo. And I was loving the movie for the most part. It had Aliens, it had action, it had Ripley, and it had awesome gore.

Then this mother fucker showed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsJjfS-i2zM

I remember looking at it, and it just bothered me so much I ended up shutting my eyes for the remainder of the film. I opened them when I heard it no more. Scared me until I was 12.

Uh, then I saw The Mummy, and I went to go to the bathroom and turned around right at this exact part-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J-PhFYNbOU&t=90s

Fuckin ran out of the theater so fast. Skeletons freaked me out as a kid. Don't know why.

Then the last scene that truly rocked me too my core was this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAZaRpeS6Hg&t=56s

I'll still call that one my favorite scenes of all time. It's just so well done.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sEZmMeH96Q

Sure he won, but everytime that wolve's eyes got bigger...

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 5, 2016

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sEZmMeH96Q

Sure he won, but everytime that wolve's eyes got bigger...

I was about to post that, scared the gently caress out of me...kept my feet up on the cinema seat for the rest of the movie in case he was under my chair

Onionetta
Aug 16, 2009
This ad, on Irish TV, encouraging kids to drink more milk. That skeleton thing though :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygf0gRQsUb4

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Watched Child's Play in the dark with neighbour's kids while my parents were over at the neighbour's house having drinks when I was about six. Threw out all doll like toys the following day.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i had this illustrated book of scary stories and one of em was about a girl that got a spider bite and the spider had actually laid eggs in her cheek and one day the boil burst and spiders came pouring out :cry:

edit: lol just looked it up wtf were my parents thinking

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 5, 2016

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Want to see something really scary?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1djGyCj1vCk

I first saw this scene on an old Cinemania CD-ROM and it freaked me the gently caress out when I was 13.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
My cousins rented this movie some time in the 80s and of course i had to watch it with them. I can't remember how old I was, but I don't think I've ever been as freaked out by a movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWhfZ7tqejo

the end with the whole floor covered with worms was the worse part.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNaG-oUMp28

I remember being super scared watching my mom play this game when I was five or six.

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 5, 2016

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

thathonkey posted:

i had this illustrated book of scary stories and one of em was about a girl that got a spider bite and the spider had actually laid eggs in her cheek and one day the boil burst and spiders came pouring out :cry:

Those illustrations were awesome. They re-published a couple years ago and replaced all the illustrations with stuff that won't trigger today's delicate youths.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I know someone mentioned the show earlier, but specifically the intro to Tales from the Darkside is terrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mioevxb2CfA

Love that poo poo.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
the Imperfect Cell Saga of Dragonball Z

Four Score fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 5, 2016

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Those illustrations were awesome. They re-published a couple years ago and replaced all the illustrations with stuff that won't trigger today's delicate youths.

When I saw they changed the illustrations, I bought the old books to preserve and pass down so the next generation of kids in my family can deal with the same nightmare images we all did, courtesy of that book series.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Without reading the thread-- the Cold War had me concerned about getting nuked.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
The Exorcist. I was nine or ten and my big sister and her husband had just got their first house. It was a big rear end three story place with hardwood floors and an open central staircase, so it really echoed when anyone moved around. She was all like "Do you want to come over for the weekend? We have HBO." So of course I jumped all over it. They went out on Saturday night, so I decide to pull up a blanket and watch The Exorcist alone. I also forgot about their giant rear end cat that had been mostly hiding since it was freaked out by moving to the new place.

So just as poo poo starts hitting the fan in the movie, I hear this slow thump-thump-thump coming down the stairs from the third floor. I'm freaking out, Linda Blair is vomiting on priests, and then it gets quiet again from upstairs for a few minutes. Then I start hearing the thumping coming from the stairs on it's way to the first floor. I'm trying not to poo poo myself with the blanket pulled up to my lower eyelids, looking around the door frame and waiting for Satan to stroll off the bottom step and then the stupid cat pops out and is all like "Oh. Hey, human". I've still never re-watched that movie since then.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Surprised nobody posted Don Bluth stuff. I was about five or six when I watched his movies and uh... Yeah they left an impression:/

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I know someone mentioned the show earlier, but specifically the intro to Tales from the Darkside is terrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mioevxb2CfA

Love that poo poo.

That show was part of my Sunday night routine for a good chunk of high school. It came on at midnight, and I would usually watch it stoned to round out my weekend.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Frankenstyle posted:

The Exorcist. I was nine or ten and my big sister and her husband had just got their first house. It was a big rear end three story place with hardwood floors and an open central staircase, so it really echoed when anyone moved around. She was all like "Do you want to come over for the weekend? We have HBO." So of course I jumped all over it. They went out on Saturday night, so I decide to pull up a blanket and watch The Exorcist alone. I also forgot about their giant rear end cat that had been mostly hiding since it was freaked out by moving to the new place.

So just as poo poo starts hitting the fan in the movie, I hear this slow thump-thump-thump coming down the stairs from the third floor. I'm freaking out, Linda Blair is vomiting on priests, and then it gets quiet again from upstairs for a few minutes. Then I start hearing the thumping coming from the stairs on it's way to the first floor. I'm trying not to poo poo myself with the blanket pulled up to my lower eyelids, looking around the door frame and waiting for Satan to stroll off the bottom step and then the stupid cat pops out and is all like "Oh. Hey, human". I've still never re-watched that movie since then.

Cats are the worst. They always seem to know when you're already freaked out and choose that moment to ambush you from around the corner or something. For instance, I was reading Pet Semetary years and years ago, and right at the part when the undead cat is weirdly staring at people, I looked up and my sister's cat was sitting there staring at me. I was like "do you have to do that RIGHT NOW?"

Edit:

yippeekiyaymf posted:

When I saw they changed the illustrations, I bought the old books to preserve and pass down so the next generation of kids in my family can deal with the same nightmare images we all did, courtesy of that book series.

Me too. I'll be damned if my future kids have sweet dreams.

The Mighty Moltres fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 6, 2016

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

wow that is lame as gently caress ...

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
ooh I remembered a good one: on staten island cable access, two middle aged burnouts hosted a show that aired Saturday nights at like 1 or 2 am called Industrial television, all uncensored bizarre sex and violence.

Clinical videos of women examining their vaginas, actual autopsies, hentai, ooh I remember one clip of some redneck mail order tape called splodin' varmints that was just guys literally blowing up small animals.

Obviously every kid knew about this show and carefully guarded the secret from their parents and we'd all try to figure out ways to watch tv at 2am without getting caught.

First time I ever watched it, they showed salo, or the 120 days of sodom :cry: I was like 8 or 9 I guess, and I'd seen some weird poo poo, but nothing prepared me for that.

I felt so sick and strange afterwards. I think that must be what being Catholic is like. I felt like I needed to take a shower constantly for the next week, and everything scared me - old men, italian words, rice, pretty girls, toilets, all of it made me feel nauseated and guilty and ashamed.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

thathonkey posted:

wow that is lame as gently caress ...

That's lame :( I had a sweet anthology with all the cool old illustrations and the mean stripper I dated stole it when she moved out

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sperghetti posted:

Was just reminded of this horrifying poo poo, I think I'd suppressed it

As though Phil Collins needed help being nightmarishly awful

Yes! And the video for Herbie Hancock's "Rockit"
https://youtu.be/GHhD4PD75zY

There was also a Swedish (?) Alice In Wonderland movie with stop-motion taxidermy animals that gave me a spook.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

oh speaking of Alice and wonderland, how about that fuckin Tom Petty video?

https://youtu.be/h0JvF9vpqx8

i was very tiny and did not like the idea of eating a lady :( now obv I do it all the time

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

mind the walrus posted:

*multiple 1980's horror movie VHS covers*

You forgot a few that made me feel so loving uneasy to walk by as a kid:

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Like most people my age.... It was the Mark Twain Adventures claymation movie on The Disney Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpaRouocBes

Injun Joe with the knife also got to me.

Then there's the nuclear holocaust scene in T2.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The T2 nuclear blast was so well researched and executed that a couple nuclear scientists saw that scene and went, "Uhh... Yep. That's pretty much it. Good... job?"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Also the aforementioned Scary Stories books.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

thathonkey posted:

I think we had a thread about this series awhile back and a whole bunch of people had these books - I seem to recall getting mine through the scholastic book thing or a bookfair.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

OctoberBlues posted:

I think we had a thread about this series awhile back and a whole bunch of people had these books - I seem to recall getting mine through the scholastic book thing or a bookfair.

It was in my elementary school library.

I found the "treasury" of all 3 books in one hardcover book a few years back at Goodwill and I am so glad I have it. The stories are mostly stupid to funny and not scary (the one about the girl with a ribbon around her neck gave me nightmares though) but the art is phenomenally disturbing.

Also, looking for pics made me realize I'm still a bit freaked out by 'ol Gmork

I think they really captured some sort of ancestral terror with it

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well it's a big wolf with bright eyes lunging. Don't get much more "ancestral fear" than that.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
The 80s movie Invaders from Mars

http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m59eteuEcN1qkcj94o1_1280.jpg

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Event Horizon hosed me up as a kid.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

AARO posted:

Event Horizon hosed me up as a kid.

Seconding this. The scene in which one of the crew members I hung up via hooks with his intestines strewn out was so jarring to me as a kid that I didn't feel comfortable with anyone touching my stomach up until my early 20's. It hosed me up that bad.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Yea I was 13 when I saw it in the theater but it still scared the gently caress out of me. I couldn't stop thinking about it for at least a week. Although, I was a little bitch when I was 13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

:unsmigghh: LIBERATE TUTAME EX INFERNIS :unsmigghh:

:nms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RthgXpWDv6A
:nms:

• Locked thread