Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sharkopath posted:

he has made the entire towns population of women fall madly in love with him by being a friendly active old man who is only interested in making peoples lives better

Handsome, reliable old men make alllll the ladies swoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

chumbler posted:

I recall somebody having some really weird objection to that series.

Probably because the ladies may actually just be window dressing, but I'm not going to think too critically about the old man walking amongst pretty ladies manga.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Probably because the ladies may actually just be window dressing, but I'm not going to think too critically about the old man walking amongst pretty ladies manga.

they're the main characters and you learn more about them then you ever do the old man

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

he's just a catalyst for their own improvement and self reflection, its not a power fantasy thing where an old dude is fawned on by cartoon cut outs

the series is viewed from their eyes

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
You're going even deeper than I was thinking, man. I plan on just readin' a chill thing about a dude who likes walking.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You're going even deeper than I was thinking, man. I plan on just readin' a chill thing about a dude who likes walking.

Yeah, but that's not what it is really. That's the starting point of the premise but the series strength is that it very quickly evolves beyond that and generates an interesting cast of cool people who begin to interact with each other away from the old man.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

theres even chapters without walking

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

and without the old man too

thats why calling it just a chill old man walk comic with window dressing ladies is wrong and sells it mega short in a very wrong way

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Davincie posted:

Ho shiiiiiit! It's gonna get crazy in here!

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah, but that's not what it is really. That's the starting point of the premise but the series strength is that it very quickly evolves beyond that and generates an interesting cast of cool people who begin to interact with each other away from the old man.

Sweet. I look forward to reading those parts!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Oh ho. It looks like these two in Taki Takanosuke are ... good friends.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

So Aqua comes before Aria, right? Or is Aqua just another release of Aria with crappy covers?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Mill Village posted:

So Aqua comes before Aria, right? Or is Aqua just another release of Aria with crappy covers?

It started out as AQUA for 2 volumes in one magazine, then continued under the new title ARIA for 12 volumes in another magazine. In a way, ARIA is the sequel to AQUA.

Edit: Not sure what you mean by crappy covers:

darkgray fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 1, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
He may just mean the scans thereof?

I'm not too sure, as I think I mentioned one of my dark secrets is that I've never read it. :ssh:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
IIRC ADV (or was it Tokyopop?) changed the logo for Aqua/Aria, which was hosed up because the current logo is in English and looks beautiful.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

darkgray posted:

It started out as AQUA for 2 volumes in one magazine, then continued under the new title ARIA for 12 volumes in another magazine. In a way, ARIA is the sequel to AQUA.

Edit: Not sure what you mean by crappy covers:

I don't like the font or the artwork on the AQUA covers. The ARIA ones have a much nicer design.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't post about it for every release, usually because I forget, but there's been a bunch of Hitoribocchi chapters released lately and they're quite good. Bocchi keeps leveling up!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, Hitoribocchi is an extremely powerful 4koma comedy and one of the few constantly funny ones.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Anyone care to give me any recommendations for a good SoL to watch on the train to/from work? Preferably available on Crunchyroll. I just finished Non Non Biyori, gave Servant x Servant a try and didn't really dig it, and I've already watched and loved Flying Witch.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
watch Tanaka-kun!

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Everything Burrito posted:

watch Tanaka-kun!

do this

or, alternative throwback answer: kamichu

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Already enjoyed Tanaka-kun. What's the pitch for Kamichu?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
It's not exactly slice of life, but did you watch Sweetness and Lightning? I can't keep track of everyone on the forum, sadly.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's not exactly slice of life, but did you watch Sweetness and Lightning? I can't keep track of everyone on the forum, sadly.

No, I didn't. ...Might give that a try. Not sure if it'll be my bag or not, but it can't hurt to take a look.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Okay, uh.

Next question: how do you feel about crying in public?

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Natsume Yuujinchou is a bit more serious and commits the unforgivable sin of featuring a gross boy instead cute girls but it's adorable heartwarming pastoral hijinks with Japanese spirits.

I never watched Barakamon but only because I had read the comic a bunch of times on account of it being real good. It is definitely right in the same vein as Non Non Biyori and Flying Witch.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Already enjoyed Tanaka-kun. What's the pitch for Kamichu?

it's a silly, cute SoL show about a shy girl who wakes up as a god/kami one day, but doesn't know what kind/of what, hijinks ensue

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Anyone care to give me any recommendations for a good SoL to watch on the train to/from work? Preferably available on Crunchyroll. I just finished Non Non Biyori, gave Servant x Servant a try and didn't really dig it, and I've already watched and loved Flying Witch.

GJ-bu if you haven't seen that is also good SoL

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, uh.

Next question: how do you feel about crying in public?

Depends on why I'm crying. I'm primarily looking for warm fuzzies.

z0glin Warchief posted:

it's a silly, cute SoL show about a shy girl who wakes up as a god/kami one day, but doesn't know what kind/of what, hijinks ensue

Ooh. This might be a good one.

Edit: Not on Crunchy, which makes it more of a pain to watch on a Tablet. What's your take on GJ-bu/GJ Club? I assume those are the same show just translated differently.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 4, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Warmfuzzies all the way.

I mean, it's a ... solemn warmfuzzy.

But still.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Edit: Not on Crunchy, which makes it more of a pain to watch on a Tablet. What's your take on GJ-bu/GJ Club? I assume those are the same show just translated differently.

Oh that's a shame, I thought it was up there :(

This is GJ-bu/GJ Club:

https://a.pomf.cat/snoacd.mp4

basically a show where a bunch of dorks sit in a club room and be silly

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

GJ-bu has very intense hair brushing action not fit to be seen in public. Also, if you watch it you had better be prepared to give the correct answer for who is the best GJ-bu.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

z0glin Warchief posted:

Oh that's a shame, I thought it was up there :(

This is GJ-bu/GJ Club:

https://a.pomf.cat/snoacd.mp4

basically a show where a bunch of dorks sit in a club room and be silly

Ah. Kind of looks like Yuyushiki, but straighter. I'll give it a look.

chumbler posted:

GJ-bu has very intense hair brushing action not fit to be seen in public. Also, if you watch it you had better be prepared to give the correct answer for who is the best GJ-bu.

I can promise only to answer as best I can.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Maybe Tonari no Seki-kun? Honestly you've covered most of the stuff I've seen on Crunchyroll already.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

Maybe Tonari no Seki-kun? Honestly you've covered most of the stuff I've seen on Crunchyroll already.

Yeah Tonari no Seki-kun is another solid contender, though it leans more toward gag than SoL.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
z0glin, please place your fist upon your computer screen. I wish to brofist you through the internet for recommending Kamichu.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Mikl posted:

z0glin, please place your fist upon your computer screen. I wish to brofist you through the internet for recommending Kamichu.

done

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

*Brofist*

(Seriously, Kamichu is extremely good, it's almost criminal how overlooked it usually is.)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The silly thing is that I only know of it because one of the local libraries I work at happened to have it on shelf and I was like "Huh! Looks neat, let's give it a try. :shrug: " Turned out, it was great!

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I think it was hurt by the fact that it came out before the "chill&cute SoL" genre really caught on; I imagine it would be a bigger hit if it were made today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Spiritus Nox posted:

I just thought of another one. Sketchbook ~full colors~ may be up your alley.