Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

I just thought of another one. Sketchbook ~full colors~ may be up your alley.

Ooh. That looks nice. I'll probably give it a look on the train back today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

I just thought of another one. Sketchbook ~full colors~ may be up your alley.

Also a good one.

It occurs to me no one mentioned Hidamari Sketch, that's definitely worth a look if you've not seen it yet. Also GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, hm. I'd forgotten about Hidamari, but it's one I've been meaning to get around to for a while...

Anyone mind sharing why I might watch Hidamari over Sketchbook, or vice versa?

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Hidamari is Shaft/Shinbo, so its got that fancy direction they're famous for (especially in season 1 iirc). Relatively smaller, more focused cast. It also has several seasons.

Has Wideface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wreI_PBfhJI

Sketchbook is slower/more laid back, and has parts of some episodes devoted to the goings-on of the local stray cats. Relatively larger cast for this sort of show. Only one season iirc.

Has a Canadian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L7Qt7yMsqk

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There hasn't been a new Hidamari show in a while, I hope they still plan on making those from time to time because IIRC the manga is still running and it might be my favorite thing Shaft has ever done.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
There's also Yuyushiki and Aiura in the same "kids being dumb" type of SoL, and both are on Crunchyroll. Aiura is only short, few minute episodes, though.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

There hasn't been a new Hidamari show in a while, I hope they still plan on making those from time to time because IIRC the manga is still running and it might be my favorite thing Shaft has ever done.

From what i understand the manga's pace dropped for a while so there isn't as much stock as you might expect, plus yoshinoya-sensei's voice actress passed away last year :(. I would expect another season eventually, but it might take a while.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Does Hanasaku Iroha count as slice of life? I enjoyed it immensely, anyway. And CR seems to have it as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Schubalts posted:

There's also Yuyushiki and Aiura in the same "kids being dumb" type of SoL, and both are on Crunchyroll. Aiura is only short, few minute episodes, though.
Am I the only one who finds Yuyushki's manga to be kind of boring? Or at least a bit impenetrable? Seems to be a lot more wordplay humor than the anime. The anime is great tho.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

z0glin Warchief posted:

Hidamari is Shaft/Shinbo, so its got that fancy direction they're famous for (especially in season 1 iirc). Relatively smaller, more focused cast. It also has several seasons.

Has Wideface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wreI_PBfhJI

Sketchbook is slower/more laid back, and has parts of some episodes devoted to the goings-on of the local stray cats. Relatively larger cast for this sort of show. Only one season iirc.

Has a Canadian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L7Qt7yMsqk

Hmmmmmm.

These both sound real good. Certainly better than I'm finding GJ club -not to slam that show. Maybe leaning towards Hidamari, but I might have to just flip a coin when I get on the train today.

Schubalts posted:

I liked Yuyushiki. It was a little unfocused even by the standards of this sort of thing, and it wasn't a riot or anything, but it was endearingly dorky and it might be the first show I've seen that seemed to be deliberately injecting a bit of polyamory subtext, which seems at least noteworthy.

The "Nantsutte Tsuchatta" song was probably the highlight of the thing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What I really want to know is wtf happened to Hyakko

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Hidamari is great, but it's not on CR (and I'm not sure it's legally streaming anywhere, for that matter) which is what I thought Spiritus Nox was looking for.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

What I really want to know is wtf happened to Hyakko

apparently the manga is on an indefinite hiatus, with no news since 2013 :(

Nate RFB posted:

Am I the only one who finds Yuyushki's manga to be kind of boring? Or at least a bit impenetrable? Seems to be a lot more wordplay humor than the anime. The anime is great tho.

I actually haven't read the yuyushiki manga, but I should probably give it a shot. It's like 50~100% more expensive per volume than a normal manga for some reason though :/

The Aiura sound manga(or whatever you call those?) is really great though, but will probably never get translated.

StandardVC10 posted:

Hidamari is great, but it's not on CR (and I'm not sure it's legally streaming anywhere, for that matter) which is what I thought Spiritus Nox was looking for.

Oh :(
CR is blocked here so it's not easy for me to find out what their catalog consists of.

z0glin Warchief fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 5, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Huh. I could've sworn I saw it there, but yeah, it's not on CR. Guess it's Sketchbook, then!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

darkgray posted:

Does Hanasaku Iroha count as slice of life? I enjoyed it immensely, anyway. And CR seems to have it as well.

I ... think so? It's been a while.

E: literally anyone who's watched it will have a better memory of it than i. I basically just remember the setting.
vvvv

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 5, 2016

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's not slice of life

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Picked up sketchbook. This seems good. I think it's bumped GJ out of my train time slot for now.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
A new chapter of old man taking walks is out with not so old man this time.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Today's Tomo-chan.

Carol is such an incredible troll!!

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Here's a new cool slice of life: Gaming with Grandma, about a girl who likes to play games with her grandma.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

dordreff posted:

Here's a new cool slice of life: Gaming with Grandma, about a girl who likes to play games with her grandma.

This looks super cute, and it will be my reward once I finish this presentation hell tomorrow.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Grandma Gaming report: Indeed cute!

In other news, new chapter of kitty manga!
Complete with kitty staring contest

:3:

(+ a special chapter, with *gasp* a sexy shot of haru! Oh my! Also, Pet Shop Girl is super cute, but the ears definitely suit him more.)

Also, does anyone read Joshi Kausei? I don't think I put it in the OP, it's on Crunchyroll. It's pretty good, and you don't have to worry about their lovely TLs because there's almost no text!
This time, they ran in PE:

And her sister reminisced about their past:

Which showed some sad stuff, too :(

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 6, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah its real gokd, I've only read about 12 chapters but definitely plan to continue.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Joshi Kausei has some cheesecake but it's otherwise pretty decent SOL, yeah. It manages to do quite a bit with no dialogue.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I feel like I'm bumping the thread when I shouldn't, but relevant updates count.
Crosspost from the Dad thread, if you've never read Kekkonshite mo Koishiteru, DO IT.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

New chapter of Married life.
(If you haven't seen it yet, I'm days behind in my backlog, sometimes weeks.)

Great as always.

:3:

E: lol, not the pic I wanted to post (it was this ) but it's good so I'm leaving it.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 6, 2016

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mitsuboshi Colors is great, as always. Yui really is scary when she gets mad!!

But I wonder what Sacchan did to make her cry??

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
New chapter of Binetsu Kuukan.

I don't think I talked about it, but it's an extremely cute Josei slice of life (link here) about two kids' parents remarrying, and them getting to know each other and learn to live together.

Did I mention it was super cute?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
does that ever move past all the blushing romantic tension and have them actually learn how to be siblings?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I think "does (manga) ever move past (dumb thing)" is sadly a mostly pointless question to ask

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

does that ever move past all the blushing romantic tension and have them actually learn how to be siblings?

I think the blushing romantic tension is kind of the entire point.

I wouldn't normally be into it, but Ume Aoki is probably my second favorite manga artist.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

AnonSpore posted:

I think "does (manga) ever move past (dumb thing)" is sadly a mostly pointless question to ask

There was some manga that I can't remember the name of that was about two families who bought the same house and had to learn to live together as a sort of forced brady bunch and I think it actually moved forward and past.

I kind of want to read it again but I can't remember what it was called for the life of me.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Leper Residue posted:

There was some manga that I can't remember the name of that was about two families who bought the same house and had to learn to live together as a sort of forced brady bunch and I think it actually moved forward and past.

I kind of want to read it again but I can't remember what it was called for the life of me.

That was probably Orange Yane something something. It was alright, but I dislike how it ended. Not for it being a happy ending, which is fine, but the plot arcs near the end were dumb.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

chumbler posted:

That was probably Orange Yane something something. It was alright, but I dislike how it ended. Not for it being a happy ending, which is fine, but the plot arcs near the end were dumb.

Yep this was it. I don't remember anything about the ending arcs except maybe suspecting adultery or something? Those kind of arcs are almost always dumb.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

little house with an orange roof, and its good. good christian manga

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Davincie posted:

little house with an orange roof, and its good. good christian manga

This. I liked it, just a good cute thing. As for kuukan, I don't think it will. It's published 3 times a year, so things don't happen quickly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
eh, that subject has been done to death. a cute story about step-siblings getting acquainted sounded good, but that unfortunately that isn't what kuukan is.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

a cute story about step-siblings getting acquainted sounded good

What if it also had lesbian subtext and recipes?

Explosions fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 13, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

I'm in

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Regarding Tomo-chan wa onanoko, I was distressed to find it's was on hiatus for a few days. Fortunately, the hiatus is over on Tuesday.

Now, in August,my daughter got married to some German guy and they're living in Idstein. She's visiting us on Monday for two weeks. Of course, I'm fairly excited to see my baby-girl come home and visit, but what I'm really excited about is Tuesday morning, I can read a new Tomo-chan.

Everything has to be in perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I don't quite see the lesbian subtext here, but I really like this. It's so fluffy and cute, and all the recipes look fantastic. The art is so clear and delicate too.

EDIT: Woops, new Mitsuboshi Colors!:3:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 14, 2016