Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Mizusu is haaaaarsh.

Pro page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Seeing Tomo translations posted always makes me frown. Wonder why they decided to exaggerate everything so much.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Do elaborate.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

The tone is different. Lots of words added, etc. Like the translator looked at the original and went "How can I make this funnier?" and wrote his own version instead. It seems to be working, since it's popular, but not quite the same thing anymore. Maybe it's even better, but it feels confusing coming from the original.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

darkgray posted:

The tone is different. Lots of words added, etc. Like the translator looked at the original and went "How can I make this funnier?" and wrote his own version instead. It seems to be working, since it's popular, but not quite the same thing anymore. Maybe it's even better, but it feels confusing coming from the original.

In all honesty, I wish more scanlators were willing to put in that extra effort, especially for comedy manga where idiomatic stuff, puns, social differences, etc. get way lost. "T/N: this line is a scream in Japanese," followed by two paragraphs of explanation, blunts the impact.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
There is a very thin line where translation turns from "liberal but smooth interpretation" to "making poo poo up that's not there" and the best thing is that nobody agrees where that line is

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

AnonSpore posted:

There is a very thin line where translation turns from "liberal but smooth interpretation" to "making poo poo up that's not there" and the best thing is that nobody agrees where that line is

This. I have gotten into arguments wroth people about it that ended working relationships in scanlation.

Manga is serious business, yo.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i can't imagine reading an even more boring tomo

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Davincie posted:

i can't imagine reading an even more boring tomo

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I read acchi kocchi again recently and I really wish that series got a better translation after volume 1 :/

It's probably one of my favorites in the genre otherwise.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The goal of translation is to convey the same idea as if it was originally written by an English speaker. This is my theory.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Clarste posted:

The goal of translation is to convey the same idea as if it was originally written by an English speaker. This is my theory.

Ah, but a native speaker or a non-native speaker? I've had someone argue that the native sentences straight from an ESL translator (whose sentences were not organized in a way that any native speaker would speak) should only be proofread for spelling and minor grammar mistakes. So, instead of rewriting that sentence to something that actually makes sense in english, you should leave it as close to the japanese kanji and katakana as possible*, so as to preserve the author's original text as much as possible.

E: to bring it back to your point, the sentences would then sound like they were spoken by and english speaker ... just not a native one.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 15, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Ah, but a native speaker or a non-native speaker? I've had someone argue that the native sentences straight from an ESL translator (whose sentences were not organized in a way that any native speaker would speak) should only be proofread for spelling and minor grammar mistakes. So, instead of rewriting that sentence to something that actually makes sense in english, you should leave it as close to the japanese kanji and katakana as possible*, so as to preserve the author's original text as much as possible.

E: to bring it back to your point, the sentences would then sound like they were spoken by and english speaker ... just not a native one.

That someone should be publicly tarred and feathered

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Maybe if you were translating a historical text or something, but for a work of fiction that seems pretty silly. Why make the text more awkward for readers?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

AnonSpore posted:

That someone should be publicly tarred and feathered

Hence why I never worked on any of his projects ever again, and I'm not even sure I've talked to him since then. I literally made him ragequit IRC in that argument.

I ain't gonna ragequit. I know I'm right. :smuggo:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Not to be racist, but I've noticed that this is a common belief among Chinese people I've worked with. That keeping things as close as possible to the Japanese grammar and wording was more important than readability.

Edit: Maybe it has something to do with how things get translated in China.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 16, 2016

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

:psyduck: But... but that entails localizing it! Preserving an author's text means not mangling it by making it sound wooden and stilted since the author writing it in his natural language is not obviously trying to write in a stilted and wooden way!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

DrSunshine posted:

:psyduck: But... but that entails localizing it! Preserving an author's text means not mangling it by making it sound wooden and stilted since the author writing it in his natural language is not obviously trying to write in a stilted and wooden way!

:shrug:

This is also a person who probably would rather people get acquainted with manga in english, then just learn japanese. I don't wanna put words in his mouth, but I can probably say he'd agree with that, with the caveat that he knows people don't have time for that.

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!
Before I did any manga translation, I was on the side of "keep it as close to the original as possible." But I gave up on that the instant I actually had to sit down and write something that was readable. You basically have to take some liberties or it's just a clunky stilted mess. It's depressing to read that stilted translations aren't always just a weakness on the translator's part but are actually a deliberate decision by crazy people. It reminds me of those awful Chrono Trigger/FF6 retranslations.

You're fighting the good fight, Rodenthar.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

HouseofGlass posted:

Before I did any manga translation, I was on the side of "keep it as close to the original as possible." But I gave up on that the instant I actually had to sit down and write something that was readable. You basically have to take some liberties or it's just a clunky stilted mess. It's depressing to read that stilted translations aren't always just a weakness on the translator's part but are actually a deliberate decision by crazy people. It reminds me of those awful Chrono Trigger/FF6 retranslations.

You're fighting the good fight, Rodenthar.

Fought. Grad school doesn't allow for much free time :saddowns:

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!

Fought. Grad school doesn't allow for much free time :saddowns:

If there's one thing a lifetime of anime has taught me, it's that your fighting spirit never dies. And even if it does, it's reborn in an RPG.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Screw the haters :colbert:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Cotton Candy is the best goddamn thing to happen to this manga, and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Hello is this the thread where I complain about Aho Girl not having an anime adaptation to date?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

horriblePencilist posted:

Hello is this the thread where I complain about Aho Girl not having an anime adaptation to date?

Complain away.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
aho girl makes me very uncomfortable because the eponymous idiot girl is literally mentally handicapped.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Anything by Gogi Power Hiroyuki is incredibly bad, the man is just so horrible at paneling and angles it's loving amazing

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

aho girl makes me very uncomfortable because the eponymous idiot girl is literally mentally handicapped.

Hits too close to home or

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, the only punchline it has is "this mentally handicapped girl is mentally handicapped, so she is unable to learn or develop". that's not a punchline, it is a statement of fact.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Quaking in horror at the portrayal of Homer Simpson.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
eh, if you don't get the difference you are probably the one who should be offended by it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

You should be more mad about how Hiroyuki only knows one joke and he's been repeating it for years now

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

AnonSpore posted:

You should be more mad about how Hiroyuki only knows one joke and he's been repeating it for years now

It worked for Osomatsu-kun

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Literally :allears:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

:allears:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
In today's Tomo-chan, there's just a teensy little

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ah, I thought the beach rear end in a top hat was going to be killed by Tomo, but instead it's Jun

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I wish it would've been actual murder. Oh well, as long as this actually drives relationship progress I guess I'm okay with it.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

DaveWoo posted:

In today's Tomo-chan, there's just a teensy little

Why is this manga so good? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

I wish it would've been actual murder. Oh well, as long as this actually drives relationship progress I guess I'm okay with it.

lol