Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I wish it would've been actual murder. Oh well, as long as this actually drives relationship progress I guess I'm okay with it.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

I wish it would've been actual murder. Oh well, as long as this actually drives relationship progress I guess I'm okay with it.

Does that hold up in court?

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

"Any day now" says increasingly nervous Tomo-chan reader for the tenth time.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Forget it, Jake. It's Tomo-chan.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

K. Flaps posted:

"Any day now" says increasingly nervous Tomo-chan reader for the tenth time.

This feel so hard.

horriblePencilist posted:

Does that hold up in court?

"Your honor, at least it was interesting."

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think Tomo fans need to ask themselves whether they even want them to hook up, because I sure don't. I'd much rather Tomo punt Jun and move on.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I'd much rather Tomo punt Jun and move on.

This is where I am on the matter as well.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

Nate RFB posted:

I'd much rather Tomo punt Jun and move on.

Yeah. Over the course of the series he's gradually shifted/intensified from "dense and grumpy" to "sullen rear end in a top hat with violent tendencies".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Depressing Box posted:

Yeah. Over the course of the series he's gradually shifted/intensified from "dense and grumpy" to "sullen rear end in a top hat with violent tendencies".

That just means there's time for a redemption arc to shoehorn in before the finale where they get together and then the series abruptly ends!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Captain Invictus posted:

That just means there's time for a redemption arc to shoehorn in before the finale where they get together and then the series abruptly ends!

Why would it have to end? It's the perfect time for an accident resulting in amnesia!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I just want any development. Progress forward, punting, whatever. I mean, I'll still read it because it's a page a day, it takes literally a few seconds to read and it's super cute, but come on, man.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

2017 twist: jun holds tomo's hand, in a friend way.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I just want any development. Progress forward, punting, whatever. I mean, I'll still read it because it's a page a day, it takes literally a few seconds to read and it's super cute, but come on, man.

Read shoujo and josei my man

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
In today's Tomo-chan, Jun says that he's her boyfriend.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Depressing Box posted:

To continue my unfortunate trend of sounding like a smug know-it-all lately: having just gone and read some of the English translations, Jun comes off as way less of an rear end in the Japanese. As an example, what was translated as "It'd be a problem if someone thinks we're going out" was more of a "I know you wouldn't want anyone to think you have a lovely boyfriend like me" (not exactly that, it's a little more ambiguous in the Japanese, but that's the nuance). It was supposed to be a "he has self-confidence issues and Tomo misunderstood what he was trying to say by homing in on that one word" kind of deal.

Also worth noting that the author put those "emphasis dots" on Jun's lines there in the original to make sure the audience realized what was going on:

darkgray posted:

The tone is different. Lots of words added, etc. Like the translator looked at the original and went "How can I make this funnier?" and wrote his own version instead.

Basically it's this. The translation seems to ignore the intended nuance of the dialogue a lot of the time, and it really detracts from the characterization imo.

To pull up another example I did a few months ago:

Their version:

My more straightforward translation:

The first two panels are fine in both, just differences in taste basically. But their translation of the thought bubble in the last panel, and arguably in the third panel, (and the title) is different on a fundamental level that changes the meaning of what's being said.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Mah dawg all that matters is that it's in English you're being ungrateful

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Mah dawg all that matters is that it's in English you're being ungrateful

It's not nearly good enough a comic for something like this

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

z0glin Warchief posted:

To continue my unfortunate trend of sounding like a smug know-it-all lately: having just gone and read some of the English translations, Jun comes off as way less of an rear end in the Japanese. As an example, what was translated as "It'd be a problem if someone thinks we're going out" was more of a "I know you wouldn't want anyone to think you have a lovely boyfriend like me" (not exactly that, it's a little more ambiguous in the Japanese, but that's the nuance). It was supposed to be a "he has self-confidence issues and Tomo misunderstood what he was trying to say by homing in on that one word" kind of deal.

Also worth noting that the author put those "emphasis dots" on Jun's lines there in the original to make sure the audience realized what was going on:

Basically it's this. The translation seems to ignore the intended nuance of the dialogue a lot of the time, and it really detracts from the characterization imo.

To pull up another example I did a few months ago:

Their version:

My more straightforward translation:

The first two panels are fine in both, just differences in taste basically. But their translation of the thought bubble in the last panel, and arguably in the third panel, (and the title) is different on a fundamental level that changes the meaning of what's being said.

Ty for another good rundown, zoglin! I really wish we did have a decent tl for it (and for every manga), but alas, it is not to be :(

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
No matter the TL, Tomo is lewd.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

No matter the TL, Tomo is lewd.

Jun's reaction mirror's mine. ... uh.... I wonder if the author spent a bit of time and thought on that panel. Because that's a bit questionable if I do say so!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

DrSunshine posted:

Jun's reaction mirror's mine. ... uh.... I wonder if the author spent a bit of time and thought on that panel. Because that's a bit questionable if I do say so!

Questionable neck flexibility, yes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Unless you have too much neck, you can absolutely do that.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Captain Invictus posted:

Okay, can confirm.

No one was looking.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

It feels hella awkward and ungraceful though, so it's one of those things that aren't very sexy in real life.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Not gonna get my hopes up TOO much, but

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

This is gearing up toward a confession that's gonna be awkwardly interrupted and then they'll lose their courage and work their way back up to it over the course of a hundred chapters

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

This is gearing up toward a confession that's gonna be awkwardly interrupted and then they'll lose their courage and work their way back up to it over the course of a hundred chapters

That would be quite an unprecedented turn of events for a manga of this genre.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
To everyone who was expecting something...
Well...

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm glad Misuzu ended up getting the girls in today's Tomo.

Also, I was making my way through the recommended manga in the op and I think Doukyonin wa hiza, might be my new favourite manga. It's the best. :3:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm glad Misuzu ended up getting the girls in today's Tomo.

Also, I was making my way through the recommended manga in the op and I think Doukyonin wa hiza, might be my new favourite manga. It's the best. :3:

Misuzu: owning scrubs and getting bitches. :kamina:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

To everyone who was expecting something...
Well...

Tomo can be funny sometimes, but I would be curious to get a tally of how many times this same "Jun acts irriated/annoyed because he is confused by his feelings for Tomo" joke has appeared.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I feel like cats are sort of like horses in that some people really love them and others just don't get it at all. I don't dislike cats (I'd actually think they're kind of neat if I wasn't allergic to them), but I just find myself sort of confused when people attribute all these human-like characteristics to this relatively unsocial animal that is not like a human at all. It makes more sense with dogs because they were specifically bred to socialize with humans (or with another intelligent social animal like primates). I was listening to this interesting interview on Fresh Air a few weeks ago where some Cat Expert(tm) explained how cats bond with environments rather than people and only really identify you as a part of their environment (and this is also apparently why it can be more difficult to bring cats someplace like the vet, because the cat is comforted by the location of your home rather than the presence of its owner).

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Ytlaya posted:

I just find myself sort of confused when people attribute all these human-like characteristics to this relatively unsocial animal that is not like a human at all.

We do it because it's cute!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
In case anyone's in here but not the Surreal Daily Life thread:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Did something happen to the tomochan guy, I noticed it hadn't updated in a few days and saw that it's now on hiatus for nearly two months. Or are they just taking a break?

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Did something happen to the tomochan guy, I noticed it hadn't updated in a few days and saw that it's now on hiatus for nearly two months. Or are they just taking a break?

Taking a break to do the volume extras and store bonuses for volume 4, which comes out late January apparently.

Though in checking twitter to find that out, I found this was one of the store bonuses for volume 3:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Oh my

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'd read it.

Would be better with an all-female cast.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Mikl posted:

I'd read it.

:same:

and yes.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Mikl posted:

I'd read it.

But then we wouldn't get that dreamy Carol hanging all over boy Tomo. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
New Silver Nina!

Looks more and more likely that he's going to stay in the countryside, just from the things he's been doing and saying these past few chapters. And with how pro-countryside this manga is.