Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

carol is the best character, and will soon break the bonds of tomo-chan, entering and leaving other manga at will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I finished Stretch yesterday and I thought it was a really great, pretty short SoL manga about the year and a half two roommates spend living together, bonding over a mutual love of stretching and being (often drunk) goofs at each other. I'm sure everyone's already read it but I didn't see it in the OP

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they never hooked up, so it is bad

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I have not read it. I'll put it on my list, and in the OP :)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It was good until the author decided to drop lines every chapter about them hooking up then arbitrarily act like nothing happened.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

It was good until the author decided to drop lines every chapter about them hooking up then arbitrarily act like nothing happened.

The impression I get is that people tend to be more or less happy with the ending based on whether they read it all at once or were following it (and the discussion) as it came out.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
really i would have been happy if they had addressed all that romantic tension in any way. dating, amicably not dating, horrible drama explosion, whatever. just something other than "i'm moving out now bye" *manga ends*.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Well, that's life.

Slices of which do not always work out how you want.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It is poor storytelling to insert so many allusions to a thing and then never address it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Well, that's life.

Slices of which do not always work out how you want.

Yeah, and most of real life doesn't make a good story.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, and most of real life doesn't make a good story.

I disagree, which is why I enjoy a lot of Slice of Life stories

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Knorth posted:

I disagree, which is why I enjoy a lot of Slice of Life stories

Slice of life aren't really like real life either. They're usually focused on comedy and are sorta similar to sitcoms in format*, so there usually isn't any sort of overarching narrative. The thing that annoys people at Stretch's ending isn't so much that no romance occurred, but that a romance subplot was strongly hinted at and then abruptly abandoned. It wouldn't have been a problem if it was never brought up in the first place, but creating plot lines and then never giving them any resolution is generally bad storytelling (unless the lack of a resolution has some clear intent or meaning attached to it), even if it's obviously something that can happen in reality.

None of this is to say Stretch is bad, though; I definitely enjoyed it, but just thought it had a bad ending.

* Though there are exceptions of course, like stories focused on creating an atmosphere or stuff focusing on studying the characters involved.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Except the best SoL stories are the ones that are trying to imitate that very grounded aspect of real life, not everything gets to be resolved or laid out for you like a Hollywood romcom, heck look at YKK. There's so much hinted at in it, regarding character events and world history, that we never get to fully know and it's really great for that. Just because we don't get to see things step by step doesn't mean the story is bad, if a manga can capture that feeling of life just suddenly happening when maybe you wanted everything to just linger a little and you've got make the best of things anyway because you're an adult and these things happen but hey, it's not like you're really that far away anyway then gently caress yeah 'cause that's the kind of writing that I want more of.

At some point it's going to come down to taste because tbh, I personally find the sitcom-y comedy-style SoL to be really weak (with a couple exceptions) but give me a warm, funny and kinda bittersweet manga about a particularly nice part of someone else's life any day of the week

edit: Also, their romance wasn't abandoned though? You didn't see them kiss, but they were still the same flirty potential couple in the last chapter as they were during the second half of the manga. The 'subplot' of Ran's medical degree wasn't abandoned just because we didn't see her actually graduate

Knorth fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 8, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Knorth posted:

Except the best SoL stories are the ones that are trying to imitate that very grounded aspect of real life, not everything gets to be resolved or laid out for you like a Hollywood romcom, heck look at YKK. There's so much hinted at in it, regarding character events and world history, that we never get to fully know and it's really great for that. Just because we don't get to see things step by step doesn't mean the story is bad, if a manga can capture that feeling of life just suddenly happening when maybe you wanted everything to just linger a little and you've got make the best of things anyway because you're an adult and these things happen but hey, it's not like you're really that far away anyway then gently caress yeah 'cause that's the kind of writing that I want more of.

At some point it's going to come down to taste because tbh, I personally find the sitcom-y comedy-style SoL to be really weak (with a couple exceptions) but give me a warm, funny and kinda bittersweet manga about a particularly nice part of someone else's life any day of the week

edit: Also, their romance wasn't abandoned though? You didn't see them kiss, but they were still the same flirty potential couple in the last chapter as they were during the second half of the manga. The 'subplot' of Ran's medical degree wasn't abandoned just because we didn't see her actually graduate

I think you're still missing my point. I'm not saying Stretch is bad. I enjoyed it and think it was good. I just think it did not end very well given what had been happening prior in the series. While there are rare exceptions, introducing plot threads and not resolving them is generally not a good thing. It doesn't make the whole work bad when it happens, but as a specific thing within the work it isn't good. When it comes to romance plot threads, I think most people would agree that just having things peter out with a "will they won't they" that never ends is not a good thing, and that such sub-plots should at least have some sort of climax, even if it's a negative one (unless there's some specific thematic reason to have the romance never resolve in any way).

(Also I mentioned after the asterisk how there are also SoL stories focused on stuff like atmosphere or characters, which a series like YKK would fit under.)

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Apparently I'm not most people then because following that sort of broken-down linear relationship progression and formulaic plotting is exactly how to not make a good grounded SoL story imo

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I read Stretch in anticipation of the girls kissing, but also to see where it was going with the one girl's past with all the flashbacks and that one dude and stuff, and honestly both of them just being completely ignored in the end entirely soured me on it. I'm usually not opposed to ambiguous/open endings but only when they've got obvious purpose to them, and that's where the series stumbled for me. I could see it skipping over the resolution to the latter on the basis of 'the past is the past, she's finally moved past it now, and so should the reader' but that really rings hollow when we both never get a really clear idea of what happened beyond speculation, but also don't get to see her moving on or anything of the sort. And because the flirting and romance hints were dropped in the end we also don't get that to show that she's starting a new chapter in her life or whatever. I don't really care what genre you want to categorize it in or anything, all I care about is it's a story that just completely up and abandoned its most interesting (to me) story-beats and therefore ended in a completely unsatisfying way that marred all the previous work.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah it definitely felt that the author just kinda wanted to do something else in the end

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

I love how Carol is increasingly becoming connotated with mochi.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's either Carol or Tomo's mom who is my favorite character in Tomochan.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I vote tomo mom, I know her floofy hair problems :unsmith:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
3 new chapters of Takagi-san!! Happy Valentine's day~

Also, Yumi's cells

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I'm so behind on everything
:negative:

I should at least catch up on takagi.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Do locker chocolates not get names on them? They're very cute. :3:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Knorth posted:

Apparently I'm not most people then because following that sort of broken-down linear relationship progression and formulaic plotting is exactly how to not make a good grounded SoL story imo

Like Insurrectionist said, the issue isn't just not having linear/formulatic progession/plotting. Like, I'd be fine with an ending where the two characters didn't end up in a relationship, as long as there was some sort of narrative purpose to it. As is, it gave the distinct impress that the author just wanted to wrap things up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Tamen-De-Gushi/ch-124?id=346898

super duper cute

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

:kimchi:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I read Kyou o Aruku and it's extremely good! Really relaxed and pretty amusing stories about walking around a neighbourhood over a long period of time and the changes that you see.

:heckyeah:

hop hop hop :3:

I'd never heard of this before :stare:

drat...

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Ytlaya posted:

Like Insurrectionist said, the issue isn't just not having linear/formulatic progession/plotting. Like, I'd be fine with an ending where the two characters didn't end up in a relationship, as long as there was some sort of narrative purpose to it. As is, it gave the distinct impress that the author just wanted to wrap things up.

This(these) post(s) in the slice of life thread of all places about a slice of life manga that starts with them becoming roommates and ends with them being extremely close but no longer roommates is a little funny but mostly really dumb. Sorry it didn't turn into a romcom just because you wanted it to.

But cool, carry on, live your life and all that, maybe you'll see the girls kiss in some other manga

Knorth fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 16, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Kabocha is another thing that is really cool, so far at least. Just some nice stories about an adventurous cat and it's really loving owner living on their farm. I loooove the art in the first couple chapters and heck the rest of it is pretty great too. Good cat drawings :3:

:stwoon:

:petdog:

And another thing!

Hita-hita is neat series of pretty goofy short vignettes about a mostly naked girl and her cat. It's really enjoyable and apparently some chapters feature a character from the authors other works, which I'm going to be reading too. There's some really cool art in it but it does have a lot of casual nudity so nsfw and all that

:3:

She's good

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

An extremely good little manga :kimchi: The way he's so doting on her is freaking adorable

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
So many cats
I'm gonna pet them all

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Can't you provide some links to baka-updates?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
That website is blocked on my usual internet connection for some reason, and the names of the manga are in the posts, but I can link to the batoto pages if you want

kyou o aruku - walking man
hita-hita - naked girl + cat
kabocha - cat cat cat cat cat cat cat cat

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yumi's Cells 183

I like the "A-Team" they've assembled here. With the main cells (EXCEPT HUNGER CELL!) together, Yumi is undefeatable! I kind of wish we could see Woong's cells though. What's going on in there? Did King Pouty take the reins for a while?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think I'm going to hold off on Yumi for a while, the recent chapters have been very :ohdear: and I kind of want to read through this whole arc in one batch so I'm not sitting on any nasty cliffhangers.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

I think I'm going to hold off on Yumi for a while, the recent chapters have been very :ohdear: and I kind of want to read through this whole arc in one batch so I'm not sitting on any nasty cliffhangers.

RELAX. EVERYTHING IS GONNA BE FINEI think.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
in a new Tamen De Gushi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opmwfRqdGsg

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

actually, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4_3PVFSUxE

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Thank you, these made me laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010

Knorth posted:

This(these) post(s) in the slice of life thread of all places about a slice of life manga that starts with them becoming roommates and ends with them being extremely close but no longer roommates is a little funny but mostly really dumb. Sorry it didn't turn into a romcom just because you wanted it to.

But cool, carry on, live your life and all that, maybe you'll see the girls kiss in some other manga

It's okay man, not everyone has to love your favourite mangas. People can disagree with you, without you becoming so passive agressive about it.