Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Anyone care to give me any recommendations for a good SoL to watch on the train to/from work? Preferably available on Crunchyroll. I just finished Non Non Biyori, gave Servant x Servant a try and didn't really dig it, and I've already watched and loved Flying Witch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Already enjoyed Tanaka-kun. What's the pitch for Kamichu?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

It's not exactly slice of life, but did you watch Sweetness and Lightning? I can't keep track of everyone on the forum, sadly.

No, I didn't. ...Might give that a try. Not sure if it'll be my bag or not, but it can't hurt to take a look.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Okay, uh.

Next question: how do you feel about crying in public?

Depends on why I'm crying. I'm primarily looking for warm fuzzies.

z0glin Warchief posted:

it's a silly, cute SoL show about a shy girl who wakes up as a god/kami one day, but doesn't know what kind/of what, hijinks ensue

Ooh. This might be a good one.

Edit: Not on Crunchy, which makes it more of a pain to watch on a Tablet. What's your take on GJ-bu/GJ Club? I assume those are the same show just translated differently.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 4, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

z0glin Warchief posted:

Oh that's a shame, I thought it was up there :(

This is GJ-bu/GJ Club:

https://a.pomf.cat/snoacd.mp4

basically a show where a bunch of dorks sit in a club room and be silly

Ah. Kind of looks like Yuyushiki, but straighter. I'll give it a look.

chumbler posted:

GJ-bu has very intense hair brushing action not fit to be seen in public. Also, if you watch it you had better be prepared to give the correct answer for who is the best GJ-bu.

I can promise only to answer as best I can.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

I just thought of another one. Sketchbook ~full colors~ may be up your alley.

Ooh. That looks nice. I'll probably give it a look on the train back today.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, hm. I'd forgotten about Hidamari, but it's one I've been meaning to get around to for a while...

Anyone mind sharing why I might watch Hidamari over Sketchbook, or vice versa?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

z0glin Warchief posted:

Hidamari is Shaft/Shinbo, so its got that fancy direction they're famous for (especially in season 1 iirc). Relatively smaller, more focused cast. It also has several seasons.

Has Wideface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wreI_PBfhJI

Sketchbook is slower/more laid back, and has parts of some episodes devoted to the goings-on of the local stray cats. Relatively larger cast for this sort of show. Only one season iirc.

Has a Canadian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L7Qt7yMsqk

Hmmmmmm.

These both sound real good. Certainly better than I'm finding GJ club -not to slam that show. Maybe leaning towards Hidamari, but I might have to just flip a coin when I get on the train today.

Schubalts posted:

There's also Yuyushiki and Aiura in the same "kids being dumb" type of SoL, and both are on Crunchyroll. Aiura is only short, few minute episodes, though.

I liked Yuyushiki. It was a little unfocused even by the standards of this sort of thing, and it wasn't a riot or anything, but it was endearingly dorky and it might be the first show I've seen that seemed to be deliberately injecting a bit of polyamory subtext, which seems at least noteworthy.

The "Nantsutte Tsuchatta" song was probably the highlight of the thing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Hidamari is great, but it's not on CR (and I'm not sure it's legally streaming anywhere, for that matter) which is what I thought Spiritus Nox was looking for.

Huh. I could've sworn I saw it there, but yeah, it's not on CR. Guess it's Sketchbook, then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Picked up sketchbook. This seems good. I think it's bumped GJ out of my train time slot for now.