Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Mill is a good cat, sometimes this translation is super awkward though :(

'Some dogs!! Can I touch them?' is basically my life motto

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I finished Stretch yesterday and I thought it was a really great, pretty short SoL manga about the year and a half two roommates spend living together, bonding over a mutual love of stretching and being (often drunk) goofs at each other. I'm sure everyone's already read it but I didn't see it in the OP

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, and most of real life doesn't make a good story.

I disagree, which is why I enjoy a lot of Slice of Life stories

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Except the best SoL stories are the ones that are trying to imitate that very grounded aspect of real life, not everything gets to be resolved or laid out for you like a Hollywood romcom, heck look at YKK. There's so much hinted at in it, regarding character events and world history, that we never get to fully know and it's really great for that. Just because we don't get to see things step by step doesn't mean the story is bad, if a manga can capture that feeling of life just suddenly happening when maybe you wanted everything to just linger a little and you've got make the best of things anyway because you're an adult and these things happen but hey, it's not like you're really that far away anyway then gently caress yeah 'cause that's the kind of writing that I want more of.

At some point it's going to come down to taste because tbh, I personally find the sitcom-y comedy-style SoL to be really weak (with a couple exceptions) but give me a warm, funny and kinda bittersweet manga about a particularly nice part of someone else's life any day of the week

edit: Also, their romance wasn't abandoned though? You didn't see them kiss, but they were still the same flirty potential couple in the last chapter as they were during the second half of the manga. The 'subplot' of Ran's medical degree wasn't abandoned just because we didn't see her actually graduate

Knorth fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 8, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Apparently I'm not most people then because following that sort of broken-down linear relationship progression and formulaic plotting is exactly how to not make a good grounded SoL story imo

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I read Kyou o Aruku and it's extremely good! Really relaxed and pretty amusing stories about walking around a neighbourhood over a long period of time and the changes that you see.

:heckyeah:

hop hop hop :3:

I'd never heard of this before :stare:

drat...

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Ytlaya posted:

Like Insurrectionist said, the issue isn't just not having linear/formulatic progession/plotting. Like, I'd be fine with an ending where the two characters didn't end up in a relationship, as long as there was some sort of narrative purpose to it. As is, it gave the distinct impress that the author just wanted to wrap things up.

This(these) post(s) in the slice of life thread of all places about a slice of life manga that starts with them becoming roommates and ends with them being extremely close but no longer roommates is a little funny but mostly really dumb. Sorry it didn't turn into a romcom just because you wanted it to.

But cool, carry on, live your life and all that, maybe you'll see the girls kiss in some other manga

Knorth fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 16, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Kabocha is another thing that is really cool, so far at least. Just some nice stories about an adventurous cat and it's really loving owner living on their farm. I loooove the art in the first couple chapters and heck the rest of it is pretty great too. Good cat drawings :3:

:stwoon:

:petdog:

And another thing!

Hita-hita is neat series of pretty goofy short vignettes about a mostly naked girl and her cat. It's really enjoyable and apparently some chapters feature a character from the authors other works, which I'm going to be reading too. There's some really cool art in it but it does have a lot of casual nudity so nsfw and all that

She's good

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

An extremely good little manga :kimchi: The way he's so doting on her is freaking adorable

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
That website is blocked on my usual internet connection for some reason, and the names of the manga are in the posts, but I can link to the batoto pages if you want

kyou o aruku - walking man
hita-hita - naked girl + cat
kabocha - cat cat cat cat cat cat cat cat

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Hey, there's a difference between not liking something as much and calling it bad writing because you didn't see the relationship hit the beats you wanted

And if I'm going to get the concept of basic plotting patronisingly explained to me, then I absolutely reserve the right to be passive aggressive about people whinging that the slice of life manga did exactly what slice of life stories are known for

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

The great detective in Forget-Me-Not is a powerful master of disguise :3: This was fun little story and gosh this art is really something

Next up, I think, will be Wandering Islands

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Wow

This manga is really good! Between this and Kabu no Isaki, small planes seem very cool right now. Did the official release actually finish the manga? I can only seem to find the first 4 chapters

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Wandering Island, which I guess isn't really~ a SoL manga, the whole flying island thing is a pretty standard adventure plot but oh well

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Oh jeez. I'm... too drunk to recognize it. It's great.

Lol

Does it continue past the first 4 chapters in the actual book? Or are we all waiting for more?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

darkgray posted:

Amazon seems to be listing a 2nd volume as coming out in May: https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4063930815/

This is fantastic news, thanks :)

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Kabu no Isaki has an extremely good opening :3

Waaaait... them big.

Shiro is very good, for someone who's in it less than I expected she is very powerful.

Also, holy crap the early coloured chapters of Wandering Emanon are incredibly good

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'm gunna read it!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Schubalts posted:

Yurucamp, girls going camping.

It's got a cute start, and I hope the translators keep putting pages at the end to explain the locations.

This is neat and quite pretty! I like the subdued girl and her short poncho thing

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I dunno, I thought the first chapter gave a pretty good showing on how to enjoy camping, get some reading done and have some easy meals but in the woods

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'm glad for more camping and I'm really loving these chapters of just Rin wandering around camping grounds

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

It's a new Yurucamp

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I thought I'd find Nadeshiko's presence pretty jarring compared to the chapters with just Rin but if she's secretly a goofy grandma I'm all for group camping :3:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
People should watch Shirokuma Cafe if they haven't

I guess the whole talking animals thing probably makes it more of a Surreal Daily Life thread thing but people in this thread should watch it too

Knorth fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 26, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I've been looking forward to more of this, so woo

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yurucamp~!

:3: This place sounds pretty fantastic

Rin is the best

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I read a bunch of Shoujo Apocalypse Adventure today after finding out it's going to be getting an anime under the name Girls Last Tour. It's really neat, just a nice SoL manga about some friends traveling around and looking for food in an apparently giant city after the end of the world, wondering at what strange lives the former inhabitants lead. It's a little bleaker than YKK's vision but only a little so far, no roaming villains or anything. It's got a nice artstyle to it too and the main pair are pretty charming :3

I posted some panels in the chat thread earlier if you're curious

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'm excited for the anime, I can only assume it'll breeze past the 25 or so chapters that are online but I really hope it takes it's time and focuses on the environment and atmosphere. Just some quiet travelling in an empty city

Oh! I didn't know the manga was licensed, I might have to track down a copy. Is it much longer than the 25 chapters on batoto?

Also, the other anime announced at the same time or whatever sounds pretty alright too, some girls going to Antarctica

Ooh

Knorth fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 13, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
A cute little extra

Rin's hair, is very good

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

:hai:

Some good pups in the new Yotsuba

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

A nice little manga :gbsmith:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Woo! :toot: I'm going to read this later

I ended up reading it straight away, what a good chapter :3: What a good idear ha ha...

Knorth fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 9, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
:same:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

StandardVC10 posted:

This series has the best translator notes, I swear.

kidcoelacanth posted:

I am so thoroughly impressed by the art in Yurucamp.

:agreed:

also :3:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

kidcoelacanth posted:

Yurucamp is loving adorable

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
This is extremely good news

Knorth