Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

To everyone who was expecting something...
Well...

Tomo can be funny sometimes, but I would be curious to get a tally of how many times this same "Jun acts irriated/annoyed because he is confused by his feelings for Tomo" joke has appeared.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, I was making my way through the recommended manga in the op and I think Doukyonin wa hiza, might be my new favourite manga. It's the best. :3:

I feel like cats are sort of like horses in that some people really love them and others just don't get it at all. I don't dislike cats (I'd actually think they're kind of neat if I wasn't allergic to them), but I just find myself sort of confused when people attribute all these human-like characteristics to this relatively unsocial animal that is not like a human at all. It makes more sense with dogs because they were specifically bred to socialize with humans (or with another intelligent social animal like primates). I was listening to this interesting interview on Fresh Air a few weeks ago where some Cat Expert(tm) explained how cats bond with environments rather than people and only really identify you as a part of their environment (and this is also apparently why it can be more difficult to bring cats someplace like the vet, because the cat is comforted by the location of your home rather than the presence of its owner).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yumi's Cells is pretty funny. Korean manhwa/web-comics in general have a sense of humor that I find (on average) funnier than the sort of humor in Japanese manga (though obviously there are exceptions).

I like the part where Woong invites Yumi into his apartment and is trying to figure out how to get her to stay and break awkward silences. At one point his cells recommend playing some card game (that seemed sorta like Apples to Apples or something?) and it said how many people had been conceived as a result of that card game. It was a funny joke.

edit: It's also interesting that Wook is gay and it's treated pretty normally. I thought that East Asia in general was kind of bad at dealing with that subject.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 28, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Well, that's life.

Slices of which do not always work out how you want.

Yeah, and most of real life doesn't make a good story.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Knorth posted:

I disagree, which is why I enjoy a lot of Slice of Life stories

Slice of life aren't really like real life either. They're usually focused on comedy and are sorta similar to sitcoms in format*, so there usually isn't any sort of overarching narrative. The thing that annoys people at Stretch's ending isn't so much that no romance occurred, but that a romance subplot was strongly hinted at and then abruptly abandoned. It wouldn't have been a problem if it was never brought up in the first place, but creating plot lines and then never giving them any resolution is generally bad storytelling (unless the lack of a resolution has some clear intent or meaning attached to it), even if it's obviously something that can happen in reality.

None of this is to say Stretch is bad, though; I definitely enjoyed it, but just thought it had a bad ending.

* Though there are exceptions of course, like stories focused on creating an atmosphere or stuff focusing on studying the characters involved.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Knorth posted:

Except the best SoL stories are the ones that are trying to imitate that very grounded aspect of real life, not everything gets to be resolved or laid out for you like a Hollywood romcom, heck look at YKK. There's so much hinted at in it, regarding character events and world history, that we never get to fully know and it's really great for that. Just because we don't get to see things step by step doesn't mean the story is bad, if a manga can capture that feeling of life just suddenly happening when maybe you wanted everything to just linger a little and you've got make the best of things anyway because you're an adult and these things happen but hey, it's not like you're really that far away anyway then gently caress yeah 'cause that's the kind of writing that I want more of.

At some point it's going to come down to taste because tbh, I personally find the sitcom-y comedy-style SoL to be really weak (with a couple exceptions) but give me a warm, funny and kinda bittersweet manga about a particularly nice part of someone else's life any day of the week

edit: Also, their romance wasn't abandoned though? You didn't see them kiss, but they were still the same flirty potential couple in the last chapter as they were during the second half of the manga. The 'subplot' of Ran's medical degree wasn't abandoned just because we didn't see her actually graduate

I think you're still missing my point. I'm not saying Stretch is bad. I enjoyed it and think it was good. I just think it did not end very well given what had been happening prior in the series. While there are rare exceptions, introducing plot threads and not resolving them is generally not a good thing. It doesn't make the whole work bad when it happens, but as a specific thing within the work it isn't good. When it comes to romance plot threads, I think most people would agree that just having things peter out with a "will they won't they" that never ends is not a good thing, and that such sub-plots should at least have some sort of climax, even if it's a negative one (unless there's some specific thematic reason to have the romance never resolve in any way).

(Also I mentioned after the asterisk how there are also SoL stories focused on stuff like atmosphere or characters, which a series like YKK would fit under.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Knorth posted:

Apparently I'm not most people then because following that sort of broken-down linear relationship progression and formulaic plotting is exactly how to not make a good grounded SoL story imo

Like Insurrectionist said, the issue isn't just not having linear/formulatic progession/plotting. Like, I'd be fine with an ending where the two characters didn't end up in a relationship, as long as there was some sort of narrative purpose to it. As is, it gave the distinct impress that the author just wanted to wrap things up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This makes me think of the time when I was 11 or 12 and decided it would be fun to have my friend toss me a basketball instead of a baseball to hit with my aluminum baseball bat. He said "not sure if this is a good idea" and I told him to go ahead and do it. The ball went towards my face, I swung the bat at it, and the bat immediately bounced off and smacked me in the face, resulting in a giant black eye (and after getting an x-ray apparently also a hairline fracture to my zygomatic arch).

edit: Everyone in school kept asking me if I had been in a fight afterwards.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I notice that a lot of Japanese stuff that covers other cultures (in a positive light) has this sort of "quaint" feel to it, like a children's show in the US that is trying to teach the value of diversity, except aimed at adults. It feels like there's always this unspoken "and wouldn't you believe that people of other races are also human beings and not just stereotypes! isn't that amazing?" sentiment. I guess it's not that strange, seeing as your average Japanese person who has never lived abroad isn't likely to have a very ethnically diverse social life, particularly if they live in some non-Tokyo place. Most Japanese media I've encountered either seems to take this sort of "good-natured but Very Special Episode-esque" approach or takes one that is reactionary and stereotypes different races/ethnic groups. I imagine that the former is probably, at least to some extent, a reaction to living in a (very ethnically homogeneous) society where the latter is very common. Like the strong desire to establish that other ethnic groups are also normal human beings is a reaction to being surrounded by many people who don't realize even that much.

edit: https://mangadex.org/chapter/245927/1 I feel like this comic is kinda missing the point that there are very good and legitimate reasons to not have pictures on resumes, to the point where it should honestly be something legally mandated (as opposed to the current situation where I think it's discouraged due to opening up the possibility of discrimination claims).

https://mangadex.org/chapter/236858/1 Also I feel like this one is sort of crossing the line from "being accepting of other cultures" to "just being incredibly naive about stuff that is totally sexist." Like I'm sure the intentions are good, but you can acknowledge that some things are wrong without casting judgement over an entire culture or religion.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 7, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ChairMaster posted:

Anyways, there's plenty of value in giving Muslim women a voice in the way that their ridiculously horrible culture treats them, even if that voice is used to make excuses for it. These things tend to go away with education and wealth, and education and wealth come much easier in an environment of acceptance and education about other people.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/253791/1

This page serves as kind of an illustration of that, the author knows perfectly well that this student hears about how lovely her country is all the time, and feels like there's more value in just listening and understanding rather than trying to force other cultures to grow up and conform to our own.

I absolutely agree that it's wrong to lecture about or condemn this stuff as a foreigner (at the very least when interacting with someone who actually lives/lived in the country in question) and don't think that the author should have said "they do ____ in some Muslims countries, and that's bad!", but the second comic I posted is definitely portraying Nada's explanation as a "people thought it was about controlling women/sexism, but that's actually a misunderstanding!" sort of thing. You can still be respectful without approving or confirming certain things. It's also worth noting that, from what I understand, the people in this story are not real; it would be one thing if the author was directly quoting her Saudi friend (or was Saudi herself), but if that's not the case it's basically just the author saying this stuff. I know she's Muslim, but that's not really the same thing as living/growing up in a place with the culture in question; it would be like if I, as a Jewish American, were given some sort of authority regarding my opinion on Israeli culture (except that's actually kind of a generous analogy, since there are many different Muslim countries with widely varying cultures).

(I actually like the comic overall, so don't interpret my post as some sort of strong condemnation; it's just something that I thought of while reading it.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This Hitoribocchi manga reminds me of the time in middle school when the choir was going to do a performance and one of the girls just threw up on stage from the nerves before they started. I bet they think that that embarassing incident faded from everyones' memories, but ~20 years later I still remember.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been reading more, and Hitoribocchi no OO Seikatsu is a very good manga. It seems to be in vaguely the same "genre" as Komi-san, including the whole "all character names are puns" thing (and the protagonist having a flower in their hair).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's cool how in Japanese you can easily make words into things that can pass as names; you can't really do that in English in most cases, but because of the way syllables work in Japanese (and being able to change the kanji for the same pronunciation) you can make all sorts of things sound like names.

edit: lol

edit2: hahahaha https://mangadex.org/chapter/312/3

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 23, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Guys, you should really read Bocchi, it's at least as good as some of the other series that get their own threads and stuff: https://mangadex.org/chapter/315/3

edit: I want to see "Work Hard Fairy the Movie: The Battle at Fairy Island

loling IRL at this https://mangadex.org/chapter/317/7

edit2: I wish there was a Bocchi thread, because I keep finding great pages

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 29, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

New House Husband. It’s good as usual

https://mangadex.org/chapter/645491/1

Reading this series and the part where he puts the broken toy in a barrel and buries it is great.

edit: lmao - https://mangadex.org/chapter/523584/12

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vesi posted:

a new slice of life has hit the building:
https://mangadex.org/title/87ebd557-8394-4f16-8afe-a8644e555ddc/hirayasumi

the intro text made it sound a little bit suspicious but it's actually 100% wholesome

I checked out the author's other works and they were mostly garbage (but with good art), he got the idea for this one while being treated for cancer so that must've really improved his writing

This is really good. Everyone is very likable and it has a pretty unique sort of pacing (the pacing kind of reminds me of Ruridragon, where everything is sort of "briskly chill"). The main guy (and his history) is pretty interesting.