Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Go RV! posted:

I'll buy LU seasons as soon as they're available on Google. I'm not installing itunes and poo poo for one thing.

When did Vamp say his big announcement was?

I think the 9th, so Friday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/826596523341398018

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

Konnan, who co-runs The Crash (the Mexican indy that uses a lot of ex-AAA people and is where Pentagon turned up to announce his departure), just tweeted AAA are not only sending legal letters to promotions to stop them using Fenix and Penta at all regardless of what name they use, but sent a rep from Mexico's trademark office to try and stop Fenix from wrestling for Crash. The attempt was unsuccessful.

Konnan, for his part, says AAA owe a lot of people money from PPVs/iPPVs, and they had people work LU without working visas. The latter is why some didn't appear in season 3, because if they were caught on their tourist visa they'd be banned from America.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah at this point LU is absolutely bad

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Netflix next week

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Satin (TMZ/ProWrestlingSheet guy) speculating that LU is just about dead, and Dave confirmed on the Board that there's in-fighting among the different owners

Was a hell of a ride, especially for the first two years

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/LuchaElRey/status/857413977160142848

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/857418638734663681

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dave confirmed on Twitter if LU doesn't get funding for season 4, all contracts are voided (everyone becomes free agents)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dang

quote:

The return of Lucha Underground on 5/31 did a disastrous 65,000 viewers for the Johnny Mundo vs. The Mack All Night Long (Iron Man) match. A replay did 36,000 viewers. The combined 101,000 for the two airings was down 34 percent from the season three average leading up to this of 154,000.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/jordynnegrace/status/876255166672097280

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Josh Mathews was interviewed by Fightful and said he was offered Matt Striker's role but turned it down

quote:

I remember when Lucha was starting and here I was, ready to go to Nashville and sign my contract with Impact. Lucha Underground approached me with doing their shows and their first episodes. I flew out to Los Angeles and I saw the thing and I was blown away, but their contracts were pretty iron-clad and I wasn't ready to sign that deal.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

yeah, he's basically their Dean Ambrose

:agreed: 1000000%

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Pentagon's constantly a top merch seller, easy

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Benne posted:

The difference between Pentagon and Dean Ambrose is that Pentagon is cool and Dean Ambrose is loving trash

*highfives*

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

harperdc posted:

Pentagon needs to come to New Japan, but that's true of every talented wrestler. If he truly has Cero Miedo he would win the New Japan Cup or, hell, the G1.

I would love nothing more than for Pentagon to "break" Suzuki's arm and he either no-sells it or just kicks his rear end harder for doing it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Per Pro Wrestling Sheet, Bael (aka B-Boy) has been granted his release

Dude was killed off in season one, but was still locked up for the traditional 7-season contract. He finally requested his release, it was granted

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It's the most fitting thing I can think of that Pentagon finally gets the belt in LU's last episode ever. What a ride

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I was going to say, for the people who are locked up for 7 seasons they're basically screwed if a cancellation is never announced

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dave posted:

There is a lot to this, but officially the next set of tapings are to be filmed early next year. The talk we've heard is March. For some talent, this is good news, but for the talent under contract that wants to sign with New Japan or WWE, this is not good news. This doesn't make a difference regarding either Ricochet or Rey Mysterio Jr., who are gone from the promotion and their contracts have expired. But it does regarding people like Penta 0M, Jeff Cobb or others.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Benne posted:

I thought working New Japan was fine since it's not American TV. Ricochet did both for years and Cobb will be starting there soon.

Ricochet couldn't do the televised US G1 Special and was vocally pissed about it the next New Japan show

Considering in 2018 they're expanding further with US stuff, it's safe to expect that to be a bigger issue going forward

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dave did a big story about the season 4 news this week. TL;DR

Belief is tapings are March through May, with hope of it airing starting in May
New deal provides budget for at least 2 more seasons after this (2019/20)
Most talent found out when we did online
A lot of talent aren't happy due to their contract status
It's possible some take the contracts to court because they haven't been paid since summer 2016 and won't be until next spring now

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dave says LU is telling talent if they're unhappy and want out, they will let them out of their contracts as long as they agree to come to one set of tapings to be written off.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cubsfan posted:

I understand people not being happy about spoilers being out, and not wanting things out that shouldn’t be out. I can not understand legally threatening people about it. I especially can’t understand going after people for talking what’s being taped for the show in a world where the people who are actually on the show are talking about the show. I know there’s a cage match this weekend because the lead writer posted about it. I know there’s a good chance Tessa Blanchard is on the tapings this weekend because Taya posted a photo with her. I know LAX are in Los Angeles too for no obvious reason, so maybe they’ll be visiting Temple too. I can go on, there is plenty more. I don’t want to because this is not about getting people in trouble, this is about how much comedy it is to think you’re going to keep something like this quiet in 2018.

You can make a case that finding out what happens will diminish people’s interest in what has occurred. I’m not sure that’s conclusively correct, especially with a show on a network (and an advertising budget) the size of El Rey, where any buzz to remind people the show exists is a helpful thing. But let’s run with it: let’s say spoilers are costing them money. Other things costing Lucha Underground money: the lack of LU merchandise, the lack of promotion of the merchandise they do have, the lack of live shows, the lack of a third season streaming deal, the lack of international deals in obvious places like the UK. Somehow, Lucha Libre FMV always has time and money for lawyers and nothing else. It’s that dril tweet come to life. The difference between Lucha Underground being a success and not being a success is not Lucha Underground spoilers. This is all wasted energy when they really do need that energy for other things.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

My fav part (aside from Cubsfan's comments obviously) is the Satin report they got pissed about had literally 0 match results listed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/976496370914922496

• Locked thread