Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

StarkRavingMad posted:

Night Claw...will not be coming back this season.

I don't know if he's actually spoken about it but this is mainly due to the incident with Octagon ambushing him with armed security in public and ripping off his mask, as he was Octagon Jr in AAA at the time and Octagon didn't like that. Since LU has ties with AAA, Flamita basically said gently caress it and went back to Dragon Gate. Can't say I blame him, but it's a shame because he could've become a much bigger name stateside. Had the timing been different I wonder if the CWC would've taken a look at him. He's still very young though, so he's got time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The benefit of accidental taping spoilers is that since they're all filmed at once you usually have no idea when they happen in the season, so it's easy to forget.

Really, the reason the results shouldn't be considered canon for title reigns is because they literally aren't finished putting together the show's plot until the episode airs, but good luck convincing wrestlepage editors of anything outside their bubble.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Rey's new chest ink makes him look like he's wearing a big lacy bra.

There's a decent chunk of the taping season where Ivelisse reinjured her ankle, isn't there? Or was that between tapings?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Skinty McEdger posted:

The wikipedia dorks are having a big argument over this, as their argument for their spoiler policy and title time line was based on them saying no one could prove they filmed poo poo out of order.

I thought they already did prove that, and then the wikinerds just dug in their heels about spoiling people anyway.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Vamp's going to announce his big project.

Pokémon Go but with luchadors.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What's with the circa 2002 nu metal band they've had kicking off the show lately? I'm half expecting them to start playing P.O.D. covers.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I legit want to put Matt Striker and Mauro Ranallo on a commentary team together and not tell either of them that they're in a competition with each other to see who can stretch a wedged-in reference further.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Mauro keeps such an insane pace that the reference doesn't have time to make you face palm before he's back to calling every single move with enthusiasm. Also, I much prefer the "try-hard dad" tone of Mauro's stuff to the "I'm a smart guy because I skim Breitbart articles" vibe of Striker's references.
Striker's are about getting ALL of his poo poo in, while Ranallo's are about how far he can reach. Striker will talk about how a character is like The Beyonder or an anime, or probably both at the same time. Ranallo will talk about how one wrestler suplexing another is totally like the problems Apple users are having with the new iPhone and what 2Chainz tweeted about it recently. Don't get me wrong, I love that Ranallo knows his stuff and actually calls moves accurately. It's just gotten more noticeable the more I listen to him.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I've noticed this more from Vampiro than Striker. Although with Vamp, it's hard to tell if it's the women or the violence that does it for him. Probably both.
I don't think Vampiro has much of a filter. I had to laugh when Striker said some kind of euphemism for testicles and then Vampiro just goes "Nah that's the NUTSACK, bro."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I loved the look on Dario's face when Joey told him Castro's a cop too.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That dude Ricky who took Dario's totally sweet pictures was former skeleton Trece, right?

And did they just quietly drop Siniestro this season or what?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, Ricky was REALLY excited about those pictures. Regarding the Disciples of Death, if you didn't know:

Barrio Negro = Argenis
Trece = Ricky Mandel
El Siniestro de la Muerte = El Mariachi Loco (who hasn't appeared outside of Siniestro yet but apparently will this season)

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Weird, I don't remember that. Was that really early on?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, if I remember right it was in like the first three episodes.

That's probably why. I got interested at first because it was new, then sort of let a few weeks go by until Aztec Warfare was announced, then I binge watched the early stuff to catch up. It was sort of directionless before the title came in.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Kinda disappointed about Siniestro, I thought they were going somewhere with him when he killed the other putties, but then they did...nothing. At least the wrestler isn't gone though.

Surprised they had Dario drop a Big Ryck reference. Isn't he aware that Mil Muertes had Ryck's skull harvested for his throne last season?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I mean they don't call him DAREwolf because he keeps kids off drugs.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Ask Ivelisse what the condition of her ankle is now. I know she reinjured it at some point, but I'm wondering if it's fully healed or if she wrestles with it taped up.

Also ask Catrina why don't you have chloroform.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dias posted:

Do you believe it was divine intervention that gave me THESE ABS

Is it just me or is Mundo's acting improving? He was actually good in that scene.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Benne posted:

He also had a forgettable NXT run as Solomon Crowe. For whatever reason he just never clicked down there (either he couldn't adapt to the WWE style or they just didn't know how to use him) and was a sparingly used jobber before asking for his release earlier this year.

They had him go through like 3 or 4 different gimmicks before they finally decided he was going to be ALL OF THEM.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

StarkRavingMad posted:

Tonight I learned that the Japanese subtitle for booyaka is "booyaka"

Japanese has an entire alphabet for foreign words so they can easily just sound out the closest equivalent. Hamburger is "hanbaagaa" for example.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

StarkRavingMad posted:

Just, in a show where everyone seems to eventually get a turn in the spotlight, you don't really have to sweat about how anyone is doing so much. They've got plans for Pentagon and they've planted a lot of seeds for his stuff already. But if you want a show where any particular person is going to be "The Guy" week after week, LU may not be for you.

That's what I miss about late 90s/early 00s WWF/WWE. Yeah there was usually Stone Cold right at the very top, but at any given time there were a good 6-8 guys floating around the one big title scene who could believably win it at any given time. LU gets why that worked and adapts it into their world. They're also focused on telling a larger story with an ensemble cast and getting wrestlers to fill the roles they have written already, rather than focusing on a single character who drives the brand and stories are written around him.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
:lol: if Mundo gives Cueto back his $100,000 for a GOTG title shot and loses anyway.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I want to see the Mundo/Sexy Star match set in stone for the main event but then Dario's Dial of Doom lands on Mundo's name at the top of the show too.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That could just be because it means zero.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Evil Ice

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

frankenfreak posted:

My money is on Texano. Cage being Cage is good while Texano being Texano is very, very meh.

On the other hand, Dark God Machine Man Cage moves him from midcard to main event pretty swiftly. :getin:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Is Angelico back this season or was he out for all of the tapings?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

StarkRavingMad posted:

Well, Grave Consequences may be Mil's specialty but he also never wins it
Well, kinda.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Whatever happened to Daivari? They did absolutely gently caress all with him and then he disappeared.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's weird how LU's circumstances have led to people just up and disappearing sometimes. Daivari, Nightclaw, and now Daga were hyped up and just never had enough time to make an impact. Obviously Nightclaw was extenuating circumstances because of the whole Octagon shitshow, but I wonder about the rest.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

dsriggs posted:

But if it's comic book land, why is the story in just about every LU intergender match "Small Woman gets beat up by Larger, Violent Man and loses/flukes a win"? They're never portrayed at the same level of ability as their male counterparts.
See, this is exactly the difference between Sexy Star and Ivellisse for me. Sexy toppling Mil seems contrived. Ivelisse standing toe to toe with Mil, I totally buy it. Shame Ivie's ankle is glass, but once she's healthy I think we'll see her as champ before too long. What I would really like to see though, is a woman character get cool magic powers (like Catrina, but she's not a regular wrestler). That said, Sexy winning was still a great moment.

Dr. Baker posted:

Commentary mentioned the roster being thin due to injuries this allowing a Ricky Mandel in Aztec Warfare.
Who all is injured?
I will say I appreciated the subtle joke of Mandel entering at #13. Until of course Striker yelled out multiple times that "He's entering at number Trece! Number Trece!" GET IT BECAUSE HE WAS A SKELETON MAN YOU GUYS

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I thought Striker made the original call, Vamp repeated/corrected it, then Striker said it again, but maybe I misheard.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I feel like when he changed his name to Dark, Pentagon missed an opportunity to start calling himself Pentagram instead.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm sort of torn. I don't know about Sexy being champ to begin with, but by god, if you're gonna do it, loving do it and commit. This makes the people smugly throwing shade at WWE look really dumb, btw.

Ehh...if Ivelisse wins the title when she's healthy, nobody's going to complain about not committing. They've already breached that line, if only for a week.

I'm of the mind that having a woman in a top position, whether wrestling or a leading role or politics, doesn't need to be "hey everyone look how progressive we are!", but rather "The top spot is occupied by a great talent who happens to be a woman". It seems less sincere to me when there's pageantry surrounding it.

Actually I just realized I'm sort of describing both of WWE's women's divisions.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Exactly. The point is Charlotte isn't the universal champ
I meant more along the lines of "Look, at have women in the PPV main event!" which is great and all, but like, when NXT did it it was just a thing that happened because their matches were incredible, not because they were being super progressive. I feel the same about LU. Apart from Striker being Striker, from day one they've just had women there, hanging in the ring with the men, and it rarely feels exploitative or creepy or even a big deal. It just is. It's a very matter of fact way of going about it and I appreciate that more.

This is kind of a tangent, but I equate things like this with the original draft of Alien's script. Despite the iconic sexual imagery Giger's design gave the movie, the original O'Bannon script was completely gender neutral. Every role including could've been a man or woman. Growing up with those movies, it pretty much never occurred to me that Sigourney Weaver was a badass female action hero, she was just a badass. Not that I want, say, Kobra Moon as champ, but that's only because she's not very good.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Striker somehow managed to awkwardly wedge in two references at once when PJ hit the Styles Clash. "He tried to break her faith, but styles will clash!" (Styles Clash was also Michelle McCool's Faithbreaker).

I wonder if he cries himself to sleep every night knowing he will never, ever be as great as William Regal's neverending torrent of Smiths references.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Writer Cath posted:

Matt Striker calling a TJ Perkins match for eternity is my new idea of hell.

Who's his opponent?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm guessing Sexy Star's present was from an as-yet-unseen spider tribe. Every list I've seen of the tribes still seems like guesswork, and I don't recall seeing a fully clear picture of the medallions on the GotG.

Speaking of which, I wonder how soon the medallions are coming back since the GotG has been cashed in. I feel like there's a lot more they can do with the competition over those.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

StarkRavingMad posted:

And it's like, to TV people, it doesn't occur to them that fans will read a ton into stuff like that or mid-season breaks because they're used to people caring about a show in a "TV show" kind of way and not in the "weird slightly obsessive pick at everything" way we wrestling fans do.
Try reading the Westworld thread sometime if you think there's a difference.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wonder if the aired match will have footage from both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wonder if anyone's ever tried to cut together a LU movie from all the filmed segments and maybe some minimal usage of in-ring footage to explain victories. There's a lot going on. The season 1 finale montage was probably one of the most concise and best produced pieces I've seen in a wrestling show.

• Locked thread