Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

"One Giant Key" is when i realized this show should get an emmy and a people's choice award and a grammy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Xerzes posted:

I was sure Don King was dead.

King and Arum are in an ongoing contest to see who gets to piss on the other one's grave.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I laughed pretty hard at "What am I, a detective?"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Was Killshot meant to come out looking already injured, because between the plaster on his back and the complete lack of offense in the first minute or so it kinda seems like it

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, he was still selling injuries from the Weapons of Mass Destruction match a few weeks ago

Ah, I didn't even think of that because he looked fine last week, but I guess he only appeared in vignette

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

And here's ya boy, AR FOX

AR FOX 64

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
BEHOLD THE PEACOCK OF DEATH

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Why is it that King Cuerno's headdress looked like an actual taxidermied deer, but Prince Puma's looks like he skinned a furry

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

Probably because in kayfabe Konnan bought it for him at goodwill

I accept this as canon

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Mil parting the crowd was pretty cool.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Gavok posted:

Does anyone have that gif of Chavo Sr. in that music video about him where the singer starts ranting about his own father (or something like that) and Chavo just starts going "Oh, wow, holy poo poo."

Don't have the gif, but you're thinking of the Mountain Goats.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
lmao Joey Ryan is in the Chuck Tingle Adventure Game Kickstarter video

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Benne posted:

I changed my mind, now I hope Texano wins the series and becomes the host body and the gods are about to become very disappointed.

If so I hope they start calling him Aztexano

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Benne posted:

This is like CHIKARA levels of wacky

LU has zombies, ghosts, ninjas, an Actual Dragon, and a wrestler who's also a time-travelling spaceship. It's pretty much always been a higher budget spanish Chikara.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
lollin' at "423... SIX ONE NINE"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I hope next season's Aztec Warfare Joey Ryan chains himself to a ringpost like somebody protesting logging in spotted owl habitat

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

I hope next season's Aztec Warfare Joey Ryan chains himself to a ringpost like somebody protesting logging in spotted owl habitat

And then the year after that they just wheel down a giant safe with a "Joey Ryan" label on it

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

when they unlock it, it's just Mascarita inside

Cut to Joey Ryan in Dario's office drinking tequila

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I like the Sexy Star storyline, I just would like it much better if Sexy Star was being played by a better wrestler and/or actress than Sexy Star

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I definitely feel you on the Mack's stunner. It was awesome when he did it the first time but now it seems to be the only thing he does in LU and it feels like a waste of his talent.

It's dumb that he does the double-bird-flip beforehand because it's reminiscent of Stone Cold by a guy whose character is nothing like Stone Cold, but just the fact that he uses the Stunner itself doesn't bother me. Every other finisher gets reused, why not that one?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

I really feel like actual demographic information for UL is hard to know. Remember, all the info Dave cites is from Nielsen ratings (as far as I know), and at this small of a viewership, it's hard to think those mean much in terms of actually determining the viewing demographic. At 120-180k, you're talking about what, less than 20 households? If your abuelita watches one week, all of a sudden the 80+ female viewership skyrockets. The live crowd is a 10 times bigger sample, although that's obviously skewed. Although Nielsen ratings are skewed in their own way, since it's missing streaming services, iTunes, etc, which is where the younger and possibly female sector would be more likely to watch.

I think Dave's problem is that when he argues he really, really likes to depend on verifiable facts and keep opinion and anecdotal evidence completely out of it, so he's fixated on Nielsens without considering that, as you say, they're really not a very reliable demographic metric in a situation like this.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Suspension of disbelief is a very subjective thing but it's always been extremely important in professional wrestling. Jim Cornette did a good job of explaining it once, when he explained that of course he knew it was a work, but he could watch a really competitive match in the 80s and get lost in the moment if it was good enough and seemed real. If you take the same match and break an obviously fake cinder block over someone's head to finally pin them for a three count, that might ruin it for a lot of people because it's so obviously fake.

Even if you're watching LU with the idea that it's "comic book land," these rules still apply. It's like watching a movie with an obviously fake or botched special effect, or when action goes so over the top you can't get into it. You might just say "Eh, it's just a movie, who cares," but there's a line there for all of us. It's like when the redlettermedia guy joked that the scene in Force Awakens where they see the planets blow up from another planet took him out of the movie because you can't see poo poo happening light years away as it's happening. I didn't even think about it, but he's right, that's kind of stupid even in a movie about space wizards. The line is different for everybody. Some people get irritated by sci fi movies simply for having sound in space.

The problem with LU is that they push that line way more than other wrestling shows. I have no way of knowing, but I also assume more wrestling fans watch LU than hokey comic book fans. I know I am not a comic book fan, and while I'm willing to give it more of a chance than Corny, there have been several matches I just couldn't get into because of this. The Cage match where he kept getting smashed with obviously fake objects and just no-sold it, the nun-chucks match where people still had faces and intact skulls afterwards, Joey Ryan's obviously fake handcuffs, etc. are all good examples. I don't mind the backstage stuff AS much, but I also think there's an issue there because while a few of these guys are good actors, most of them are not. Joey Ryan, I'm looking at you.

It's a fine line and it's different for everyone. I also don't like it when wrestlers put their opponents through tables outside the ring and do all kids of ridiculous poo poo that gets kicked out of only to win with their mediocre looking finisher, because that's their finisher. Also, it's possible to like the Undertaker because of what he does in the ring but not care for all the goofy poo poo he's done outside the ring outside of camp value.

My point is, suspension of disbelief is still important in pro wrestling and dismissing that because everyone knows it's fake isn't a good argument. Might as well turn it all into a Michael Bay movie.

I don't think anyone's saying suspension of disbelief isn't important; it's more that if you're watching a show where one of the wrestlers is literally a time travelling spaceship and there are multiple instances of in-ring teleportation, and the part that breaks your suspension of disbelief is intergender matches, you might have some deeper issues to work out.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

well that's the problem, there are a ton of things on LU that are just plain stupid even to pro wrestling fans. if you like it you like it, but i don't think it's fair to say that people are behind the times or their opinions are wrong just because they would prefer a more traditional format

A) Nobody's saying that
B) Those people shouldn't be watching LU because that is explicitly not what it is, so what was the point of even bringing this up in the LU thread?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

some people are saying it, for instance the person saying meltzer's opinion is outdated

Meltzer's opinion on intergender fights is that it's driving away sponsors and not attracting fans, not that it's affecting the suspension of disbelief, which makes your entire post a giant non-sequitor.

quote:

and i was just criticizing LU in the LU thread, and i'm not even the one who started the discussion of why people don't like LU! i think the issue is this is the only wrestling thread where people actually seem to NOT like complaining about the product.

You posted a multi-paragraph post about how it's unfair to criticize people for preferring traditional wrestling format, which A) is not a criticism of LU, B) was not responsive to anything anyone in the thread was actually posting, and C) is stupid to post in the LU thread because it is explicitly not a traditional wrestling format so fans who do prefer that shouldn't be (and, probably, aren't) watching it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
That is one heck of a codpiece.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
This is kinda sloppy for a match between dudes who have presumably worked together a lot before now, tbh

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Also I don't really give a poo poo about guys who weren't in the military playing ex-soldier characters, but I wish the announcers wouldn't spend three quarters of the match talking about how their combat experience puts them on a different level. It sounds ridiculously overdramatic, and also kind of dumb when it's being applied to two midcarders.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

KatWithHands posted:

All that, and did he end up missing his finisher or was my feed just that crummy?

His aim is off with it so frequently that for about the first half of season one I thought it was supposed to be a corkscrew headbutt

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah but this takes us into WCW territory where all the faces lose because they're dumb.

It's mostly just the pacing. Hotshotting the title sucks, and they've also instantly lost any cred they could claim for having the guts to give a woman the belt, because she's clearly not good enough.

I don't remember anyone saying this about Fenix when he got done the same way.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

I think he actually is. Weirdly enough, Willie Mack is definitely a Juggalo.

A lot of wrestlers are more Juggalo-friendly than you might guess, because for a long time The Gathering was like the only indy show that paid wrestlers well and on time.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

So has this show resolved in any way the fact that its financier is in large part responsible for the rise of the president who hates its audience

Exactly what steps would you expect the show about luchadors fighting dragons in a Los Angeles warehouse to take to "resolve" this fact

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

well he stores hitler in cryostasis on the temple set whenever they aren't doing shows

If that were true he'd have been featured in a Mil Muertes match by now

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Drago will return as El Vegan Azteca

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I hope the immortal lady cop emerges as Puma's nemesis, Queen Cougar

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I hope they keep Dario for the entire series run, he's great

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I love Joey Ryan so much

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
That is the biggest horseshoe I have ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

i remember JR commenting on the latter as something he never liked because it doesn't make sense that a trained athlete would lose their focus and turn their backs on their opponent just because someone's theme music hits or something. not that distractions can't be done properly, just that often they aren't.

I remember very clearly at one point in the RAW threads someone complaining about this very thing literally minutes before the Wyatt's music hitting in the middle of a match, the wrestler in control ignoring the music in favor of continuing to beat on his opponent, and then immediately getting shitstomped from behind by Luke Harper.

• Locked thread