Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

GamesAreSupernice posted:

The chase or the fight itself?

Both, actually. The chase took me a while to get the hang of, then I kept beefing it in the second part of the fight, if I remember correctly.

I'm pretty sure losing the fight puts you back at the start of the chase sequence, although it's been long enough I'm not a hundred percent sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

KieranWalker posted:

I'm pretty sure losing the fight puts you back at the start of the chase sequence, although it's been long enough I'm not a hundred percent sure.

It boots you back to the first phase of the fight, not the chase.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also, did you just imply Spider-Verse was good? Because if so, you and I are enemies now. :arghfist::spidey:

But we're getting somewhat off-topic.

True I think I remembered Spider-Verse differently, but then again I read it for the various off-shoots, so the issue that was just Noir-Spidey or just 2099 Spidey, etc.

Also if it wasn't for Spider-Verse we wouldn't have gotten Spider-Gwen and I guess that's all I have to say that's positive (truth be told I never actually read a lot of the huge crossover comics, even the Beyonder arc I just read the Spidey comics because Spidey is all I care about in the Marvel universe at this point)

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Peter has some goddamn endurance.

One extra video after this, then we're done here.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aces High posted:

True I think I remembered Spider-Verse differently, but then again I read it for the various off-shoots, so the issue that was just Noir-Spidey or just 2099 Spidey, etc.

Also if it wasn't for Spider-Verse we wouldn't have gotten Spider-Gwen and I guess that's all I have to say that's positive (truth be told I never actually read a lot of the huge crossover comics, even the Beyonder arc I just read the Spidey comics because Spidey is all I care about in the Marvel universe at this point)

That's the correct way to read Spider-Verse, IMO.

And I swear to god, Slott's original idea for Spider-Gwen was literally her in a Red-and-Blue webbed version of her ASM #122 costume. Thank god they went in a different direction. Although Web Warriors I think was a bridge too far (and kind of mishandled to boot).

I've for the most part been watching the Spider-Man comics from the sidelines with mounting horror (I only got into comics when OMD went down, so I kind of never got into 616 Spidey). Let's just say I do not agree with most of Dan Slott's creative decisions on the book. Which sucks, because I loved his Spider-Man & Human Torch miniseries. Still, Renew Your Vows exists now (written by Gerry Conway himself - it owns, go out and read it everyone) and Chip Zdarsky's going to be writing Spectacular Spider-Man soon, so now's a pretty good time for Spider-Man if you were put off by some of the more recent creative decisions like me.

Peter has some goddamn endurance.

One extra video after this, then we're done here.
Edit: Okay, got a chance to watch through the whole video. Seemed to end pretty strong. I have a feeling Nick Fury is going to be having some strong words with Silver Sable after all this - in the comics, he took a personal interest in Peter's welfare, on top of all of the other stuff. In the Ultimate comics, Sable was dispatched by the head of Roxxon to capture Peter to find out what he knew about a series of attacks on corporate property (nothing, he just happened to be in the area and stopped to help). They wound up grabbing him without finding his identity. When they ran his prints to ID him, it got flagged by SHIELD and Sable freaked the gently caress out when she realised that SHIELD was protecting him and her and her mercs just pretty much bailed. They established that her origin was that as a teen she was called to the deathbed of her estranged father so he could apologise for not being there on account of his day job being Nazi Hunter. She then decided to follow in his footsteps, and mainly did merc work on the side to fund her Nazi-hunting. There wasn't anything near as bad as some of the stuff she got up to here. I don't think she ever showed up again in Ultimate Spider-Man.

Also, I think it was an interesting twist that Eddie Senior apparently caused the plane crash as Venom. It's certainly better than what they later with in the comics - that the Parkers were killed by The Hulk, of all people.

I think I solved the mystery of the fire on the helipad - it's started in the cutscene, when Trask tries to shoot Eddie and blows up those fuel tanks by mistake.

All in all, I think this game's pretty great. And I'm kinda bummed I gave up so close to the end.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 12, 2017

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

All in all, I think this game's pretty great. And I'm kinda bummed I gave up so close to the end.

I particularly enjoyed the story, upon revisiting. It managed an impressive level of fidelity with the comics. I decided to look up anything else Bendis might've written in the world of videogames, and his only other credit appears to be the Story Mode for Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes. Ouch.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I particularly enjoyed the story, upon revisiting. It managed an impressive level of fidelity with the comics. I decided to look up anything else Bendis might've written in the world of videogames, and his only other credit appears to be the Story Mode for Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes. Ouch.

Well, I suppose that the game being written by the guy writing the comics might have helped on that front. :cheeky: Apparently at one point this was supposed to be canon with the comics. They kinda-sorta adapted it later (which involved this whole Carnage clone of Gwen Stacy - who Carnage had killed in this universe - that Eddie ate like Peter in the game, and basically spat out an ordinary Gwen that everyone basically shrugged and treated as the real one from that point onwards).

Actually, now i think about, this came out in 2005, right? So Bendis would have only taken over the Avengers (and by extension, largely setting much of the tone for most of the Marvel Universe) a year before (less, maybe, if you factor in development time). That was just about the point most people would agree cracks started showing. I think it's because while Ultimate was his baby (and most of his other solo books had relatively small casts or focused on minor characters) this was when he started writing big names (and occasionally stuffing characters into OOC behaviour to move the plots along).

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 12, 2017

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That last sequence ending in Peter hitting Venom so hard that he breaks his own arm is really cool. My friend and I marked pretty hard when we beat it. Then we set off to see if I could unlock the black suit. Also "I should let Eddie eat her" cracked me up. Forgot about that.

We did not unlock the black suit.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 12, 2017

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

That last sequence ending in Peter hitting Venom so hard that he breaks his own arm is really cool. My friend and I marked pretty hard when we beat it. Then we set off to see if I could unlock the black suit. Also "I should let Eddie eat her" cracked me up. Forgot about that.

We did not unlock the black suit.

There is absolutely no reason to unlock the black suit. You have to 100% the game and it offers no gameplay differences.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

There is absolutely no reason to unlock the black suit. You have to 100% the game and it offers no gameplay differences.

there is a reason tho, it looks cool

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

mandatory lesbian posted:

there is a reason tho, it looks cool

You get me.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I seem to remember that for some reason you couldn't actually change costume until after finishing the game. I seem to recall tracking down enough tokens & stuff to unlock at least some of them, and nothing doing.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

You have to kill a car if you want the police to take notice.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh yeah, I forgot to say. Taking another break between games, as always but Spider-Man 3 is next.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Generic Lizard would like to have tea over a discussion about [science topic]

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
In regards to the Hulk, SF Debris noted in his Rise and Fall of the Comic Empire retrospective that Marvel dictated that the Hulk be "an angry, green idiot" as part of their back-to-basics policies when Joe Quesada and Bill Jemas came onboard following the insanity that was the Marvel bankruptcy case.

So the comics are just as guilty of making the Hulk stupid as the cartoons. It's just that without the rage, the stupidity is far more glaringly noticeable.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Spidey getting punched by a giant fist out of nowhere is delightful. :allears:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Tiggum posted:

Spidey getting punched by a giant fist out of nowhere is delightful. :allears:

I didn't realise this was Newspaper Spider-Man: the game.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Way more kid-friendly except Shield's computer. She is vicious. And a little creepy.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Finally.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

What?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Spider-Man 3 LP finally being rendered and uploaded right now.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play Spider-Man 3

I sometimes wonder if anyone got the same feeling that I did when I played Spider-Man 2. The feeling that what everyone enjoyed about the game.. wasn't really the focus. Sure, the swinging and variety were fun, but the introduction of Spider-Instinct and the enhanced combat told me a different story. They told me Treyarch really wanted to make a hard-rear end Spider-Man beat 'em up more than a well-rounded action/adventure game.

It's not like the signs weren't everywhere. The penultimate mission in Spidey 2 against several absurdly powerful mech-suits was the biggest tip-off, but there were other hints in the post-game challenge missions and Treyarch's original movie game attempt. You know, the one that sold 4 million copies but infuriated children well into adulthood.

Spider-Man 3, as I see it, is Treyarch's realization of a pure-blooded 3D Spidey beat 'em up. It doesn't feel Spidey anymore. The combat always seemed everyone's least favorite part of the experience, and Spidey 3 goes delivering almost nothing but tons and tons and tons of punching. And.. I really loving dig it.

Why?

Because the punching is good. Look, it's true that with a few tweaks you could easily have made the game about another character entirely, but I don't care. Treyarch's love for my favorite genre is more pronounced here than ever. For starters, everything that people found frustrating about Spidey 1 and 2's bosses has been cranked up to maximum. Then we throw in some way more interesting and useful combo variations, enemy types that require strategic and well-timed use of said combos, and you've got yourself something I really wanna play, if nothing else.

Don't get me wrong, it does build on the previous games in the series.. insofar as using their mechanics to flesh out the combat even further.

I don't need to justify poo poo, let's play Spider-Man 3.

Videos

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 15, 2017

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
You know, even though I've played this game before, cutting Bruce Campbell off still seems weirdly blasphemous.

Also, even though I love slo-mo gimmicks in games, I promptly forgot about Spider-Instincts and played through the entire game without it. So... yeah, looking forward to seeing the proper way to do this.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pizdec posted:

Also, even though I love slo-mo gimmicks in games, I promptly forgot about Spider-Instincts and played through the entire game without it.

You're a hero.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The main problem I often have with boss fights is that once you figure out the solution it becomes tedious as you have to do it several times (as you did here). OK, make it a puzzle instead of a normal fight, but once I've solved the puzzle let me move on.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tiggum posted:

The main problem I often have with boss fights is that once you figure out the solution it becomes tedious as you have to do it several times (as you did here). OK, make it a puzzle instead of a normal fight, but once I've solved the puzzle let me move on.

That is a fair complaint. I feel the inclusion of repetition was probably to ensure you actually understood the solution, though it's still a bit excessive exactly how much you need to do it.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 13, 2017

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I forgot the animation in this game was spectacular.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't know why but when I tried to play this on Xbox360 the popin while webslinging gave me serious motion sickness. Might give it a go again someday though because I liked how fleshed out the subplots got when watching my brother play a later mission.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

I don't know why but when I tried to play this on Xbox360 the popin while webslinging gave me serious motion sickness. Might give it a go again someday though because I liked how fleshed out the subplots got when watching my brother play a later mission.

The stories connect and expand in a few creative ways, though I wouldn't say the dialogue is ever up to the challenge.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

"Hope they're not already booked."

"I wonder how much they charge for tickets?"

"Bet they've got a real captive audience." [I'm particularly proud of this one]

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

"Hope they're not already booked."

"I wonder how much they charge for tickets?"

"Bet they've got a real captive audience." [I'm particularly proud of this one]

"Crime is never in fashion."

"Sounds like it's my turn to make a mess."

"Time for Spidey to take a turn on the catwalk."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"I'd better go show off my own collection."

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Quiet Python posted:

"Crime is never in fashion."

"Sounds like it's my turn to make a mess."

"Time for Spidey to take a turn on the catwalk."

Bruceski posted:

"I'd better go show off my own collection."

Spidey would be proud.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
What is it with Spider-Man games and 5-second music loops? This one's pretty catchy though.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Can I call you Lizzie?

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Oh no! Doctor Connors has turned into a giant lizard and is going on a rampage! I have to knock him out with these giant meat grinders! In a sewer!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pizdec posted:

Oh no! Doctor Connors has turned into a giant lizard and is going on a rampage! I have to knock him out with these giant meat grinders! In a sewer!

I feel confident I could remove the meat grinder section and nothing would've been lost.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the Hitchhiker's Guide reference with the mice being the true owners of the planet. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This is a bad day.

• Locked thread