Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I never need a knife but it's still cool to have. It's just a lovely no brand knife from Costco though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
knifes.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
I want a pocket knife with a bottle opener on it so I can open beer bottles when I am out and about but also can cut off a loose thread or open a box easily.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

turbomoose posted:

I want a pocket knife with a bottle opener on it so I can open beer bottles when I am out and about but also can cut off a loose thread or open a box easily.

https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Shuffle-Folding-Stainless-Handle/dp/B015J2E34M/

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

turbomoose posted:

If you don't care about the finish of the knife, you can wedge the end of any closed knife under the cap to open a beer. A friend of mine taught me with a bic lighter, but the same principle applies. It will chew up the end of the knife over time though.

I carry a Spyderco Native in my pocket when I'm at work, and I have a gerber shard attached to my keychain. If I'm not at work, I usually have a Benchmade Emissary on me. The shard is a pretty cool little multi-tool.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 8, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm the USB memory stick.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Who is sadder... the human being who doesn't carry a knife because he can borrow a pair of nail clipper from the secretary at his office, or the guy who carries a flash drive on his key chain in the year 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

8 track betamax posted:

Who is sadder... the human being who doesn't carry a knife because he can borrow a pair of nail clipper from the secretary at his office, or the guy who carries a flash drive on his key chain in the year 2016

Its you.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
im the dear john letter on the postit

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

8 track betamax posted:

Trick question, They're the same guy

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
This dickless clown all ambling up jingle jangle with a big bundle of poo poo for a keychain

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

AFewBricksShy posted:

If you don't care about the finish of the knife, you can wedge the end of any closed knife under the cap to open a beer. A friend of mine taught me with a bic lighter, but the same principle applies. It will chew up the end of the knife over time though.

I carry a Spyderco Native in my pocket when I'm at work, and I have a gerber shard attached to my keychain. If I'm not at work, I usually have a Benchmade Emissary on me. The shard is a pretty cool little multi-tool.

Gerber missed a golden opportunity to name that thing the "Shart".

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

whoflungpoop posted:

im the dear john letter on the postit

From what I can see it says

"Poop,

Waterproof
Waterproof

Waterproof, Waterproof, Waterproof?"

personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The quick draw release on this knife is very addicting despite the inferior steel quality it really gets the job done if you're in a tight spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgNAw7e9DqU

-edit- it is a luxury good so be sure to take care of a knife like this.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Rutibex posted:

my knife is pretty good, it's a 1939 Nazi bayonet. this is just my standard "walking around" all-purpose go to tool. its great for carving wood, or skinning animals, or cutting ropes, etc. it's all one solid piece of metal, so it's pretty indestructible. was it used for war crimes? :shrug: i donno my grandfather gave it to me and i didnt ask:

i know this might be a joke post but my immediate reaction to it is to just become sad how people actively in this thread and in the entire world spend money on stainless steel with plastic handles

and only 70 years ago we could afford quality steel as a standard issue for every single one of millions of soldiers, even knowing half of them would never use it once

a single american tear rolls down my right eye onto my slightly muscular and defined orbital bone.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it sure is a shame we no longer are outfitting young men en mass to disembowel each other, yeesh

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

praxis posted:

"A man should always carry a knife, lighter and handkerchief. There's not much life can throw at you that you can't cut, burn or put a tourniquet around well enough to at least get you home." - My Dad

So far he's been right.

Your father is a good and wise man. Only thing I'd add is a small flashlight. Nothing fancy, just a small LED model that runs off a AA or AAA battery.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I carry one of these babies in the pocket of my slacks every day.

Not a day goes by that I don't use every one of the tools at least twice.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I always have a nice Benchmade hunting knife in my purse because knives are useful. I also keep a scrub-tier Gerber in my car just in case I forgot my purse.

My trunk looks like a nutcase survivalist's overall though.

Pick fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 8, 2016

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
When I was in high school some girls had pointy sharpened screwdrivers in their purses

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

OP this is my pocket knife it helps with my Alzheimer's.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

I've had a 1st gen Wave for over 16 years. I named it "Winona" when I first started carrying it.

Also what I usually have on me all the time is a my car key, whistle, light, small titanium pry bar, P-38(my dad's from the Korean war), thumb drive, and various loyalty cards.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

Your father is a good and wise man. Only thing I'd add is a small flashlight. Nothing fancy, just a small LED model that runs off a AA or AAA battery.

With my dad the maxim was having a Swiss Army knife and duct tape. I got my first Swiss Army knife (Victorinox, of course, not that Wenger poo poo) when I was maybe 8 or 9 or so, and Dad made proper knife safety very clear. He showed me how the blade opened, and that since it didn't lock back that you should never use the point like it was a stabbing tool or it would close up on your fingers. He basically said that if I cut myself it was my own drat fault, and the lesson took - never have had an issue with self-inflicted pocket knife wounds.

He also told me that the barrel of Wyatt Earp's gun at the shootout at the OK corral was mostly duct tape, but that I find more dubious.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Good thing that's all on a carabiner in case you run into a mountain

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
y'all should get some of those wee lil canisters that attach to your keychain. I love those. enough room for a secret hundo and two safety matches.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

8 track betamax posted:

Good thing that's all on a carabiner in case you run into a mountain

It's what feels comfortable in my pocket. I had this keychain that was given to me in my teens for the longest time, but spring loaded bit started to fail and my keys would come separated from the other half. I went throught a few different things before I settled on the small carabiner.
I tried this S-Biner, but it was too big and didn't feel right.

Pick posted:

y'all should get some of those wee lil canisters that attach to your keychain. I love those. enough room for a secret hundo and two safety matches.

You mean these?

Turmoil fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 9, 2016

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
yar

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

today i was going to fix a mailbox that a contractor drove over with his truck and instead of using my knife to open the replacement part box or cut open the bags containing the bolts and washers and stuff i just had the secretary do it for me

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Turmoil posted:

You mean these?

those are for your rear end not your keychain hth

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Turmoil posted:

I've had a 1st gen Wave for over 16 years. I named it "Winona" when I first started carrying it.

Also what I usually have on me all the time is a my car key, whistle, light, small titanium pry bar, P-38(my dad's from the Korean war), thumb drive, and various loyalty cards.

is the tiny pry bar in case you need to break into a model car or something?

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

jarofpiss posted:

It comes in handy for that more than you'd think.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

notZaar posted:

Yeah it sure is a shame we no longer are outfitting young men en mass to disembowel each other, yeesh

we still do this, but we pay more money for shittier gear lmao.

also i was clearly talking about the availability of good tools in the modern world becoming a niche where you have to find a blacksmith in another state and wait on his internet waiting list for him to forge your tool

then again i could be wrong, i think zaar is right war ended around 1970 america is the nation of peace now, also all the tools in sears are good and dont end up in the ocean in 9 years after sale

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mini katanas

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Turmoil posted:

What's the waist size of ur jorts?

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
could someone tell me the secret of steel or is taht something that only comes with the instructions when you buy a knife?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

jarofpiss posted:

Actually those are incredibly durable. I've opened crates / stuck car doors with them.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i'm going to pull out a brutal six inch folding knife to peel an apple because that's what normal people do

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fonzarelli posted:

i'm going to pull out a brutal six inch folding knife to peel an apple because that's what normal people do

Who the hell peels an apple in the first place?

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
will they take away your knife if you tell a non-knife haver the secret of steel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i need to open a package, let me get my kukri from my car

• Locked thread