Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

http://theantimedia.org/police-arrests-dakota-access-pipeline/

Riot pice arrest at least 20 protestors at the Dakota access pipeline, and facebook censors the video.

Right after Obama 'fixed' it, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

http://theantimedia.org/police-arrests-dakota-access-pipeline/

Riot pice arrest at least 20 protestors at the Dakota access pipeline, and facebook censors the video.

Right after Obama 'fixed' it, right?

Why is fixed is quotes?

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

Why is fixed is quotes?

To imply a certain facetiousness because Obama clearly has not fixed it. That would be my guess, having read sentences in English before.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The Justice Department directive only stops construction once the pipeline reaches the lake. It doesn't actually stop the private company from building up to that point.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Cops allegedly showed up yesterday in armoured vehicles, threatened protestors with sniper rifles and shotguns, an estimated 21 arrests were made.

Regardless of the legal status of the pipeline, it seems to coppers are maintaining the hard line.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Facebook is blowing up with an alleged mass arrest at the site, but there are no sources to back it up. Anyone here knows what is going on?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Tias posted:

Facebook is blowing up with an alleged mass arrest at the site, but there are no sources to back it up. Anyone here knows what is going on?

Here's an article on the 21 arrests with some pictures and video.

Tias
May 25, 2008

New police fuckery this saturday:

https://theintercept.com/2016/10/25/video-police-viciously-attacked-peaceful-protestors-at-the-dakota-access-pipeline/

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/29/us/dakota-pipeline-standing-rock-sioux/index.html

Much like in Oregon, turns out the people who live there mostly hate the "peaceful" protesters! Hopefully the government cleans them out soon, before they do more stupid poo poo.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

You don't want to move oil by train, especially US shale oil - it's very rich in methane, which is highly combustible should there be an incident.

If a pipeline is built, they still move oil by train, all that changes is that the rate at which oil can be transported increases. The "but trains are dangerous" argument is usually used disingenuously by oil companies. Maybe if you ever heard them say "if we build the pipeline, we promise to use x fewer railcars and trucks" it'd be different. They won't say that though, because they just want to dump as much product into the market as quickly as possible.

tsa posted:

This thread has less posts in 3 days than the militia thread had in 3 minutes. Media these days reacts to what people are talking about and not even d&d seems to care much.

Actually one of the militia were killed and the rest are getting the book thrown at them. What a complete travesty of justice that is :rolleyes:

I don't think you could chose a worse comparison if you tried.

Time-delayed lol

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 30, 2016

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Much like in Oregon, turns out the people who live there mostly hate the "peaceful" protesters! Hopefully the government cleans them out soon, before they do more stupid poo poo.

Ahahaha look at this propaganda. I was actually at Standing Rock and met tons of Standing Rock Souix opposing the pipeline and living in the camps. "Where you from?" was a common question and likely as not the answer was "Right here." The Sacred Stone camp is built on local, native owned land with the full blessing and support of actual Standing Rock Souix. CNN most likely got locked out of the camps for being corporate fuckfaces and went to find the only native folk who were willing to talk to them. I particularly love the part where they quote that guy saying that if Dave Archimbault "had any balls, he'd tell the protesters to go home" and somehow CNN studiously avoids mentioning that Dave Archimbault went to the United loving Nations to testify against the violation of native land and to try and get recognition for the opposition to the pipeline. He fully supports the protesters. What a bunch of lying shitheads.

Obviously, not everyone is going to agree with what's going on and native people aren't a monolithic hivemind but from my experience as someone who was there talking to actual locals, there is very clearly tons of local support.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

The two events are fundamentally different. One was a gaggle of armed guys upset they can't do whatever they want with the land and might have to consider other stake-holders. The other is an unarmed group who live in the impacted watershed and are opposed to the degradation of their watershed, ancestral land, and heritage in order to make a bunch of outsiders rich. I mean, the two events are superficially similar, but the underlying concerns couldn't be more fundamentally different. In fact, in a lot of ways, what the Bundy's wanted to do to Oregon is exactly what the Standing Rock Sioux want to prevent in North Dakota.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

xrunner posted:

The two events are fundamentally different. One was a gaggle of armed guys upset they can't do whatever they want with the land and might have to consider other stake-holders. The other is an unarmed group who live in the impacted watershed and are opposed to the degradation of their watershed, ancestral land, and heritage in order to make a bunch of outsiders rich. I mean, the two events are superficially similar, but the underlying concerns couldn't be more fundamentally different. In fact, in a lot of ways, what the Bundy's wanted to do to Oregon is exactly what the Standing Rock Sioux want to prevent in North Dakota.

Yup, the Burns-Paiute specifically told those hicks in Malheur to gently caress off and they fully support the water protectors in NoDak.

Weirdly, when the Bundyites were yammering about returning the land the gubmint stole to its rightful owners, they never even considered that gee maybe that might mean non-white natives. It never occurred to them that it shouldn't be given to whites. Both situations, Malheur and DAPL, are clearly racist land grabs where white people feel completely entitled to steal even more from native people and poo poo all over them with impunity. The opposition to DAPL is partly about protecting water, which is very important, but its also about people who are sick of being marginalized and run down by white supremacists who feel like everything in the world is theirs for the taking. That's why so many tribes have been coming from all over North America to fight this thing - for solidarity in opposing this institutionalized racist theft and poisonous resource extraction anywhere it happens.

fake edit: I'm been hopping loving mad hearing about the acquittal of those psycho, nazi terrorists while cops lob concussion grenades and fire rubber bullets at unarmed, peaceful protesters for "trespassing" on lands that are theirs by treaty. The contrast in treatment these two groups got/are getting by law enforcement is loving infuriating and baldly racist.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:
Remember guys, those pipes never fail.

And here is an official non-answer from Hillary.

quote:

Charlie Galbraith, serving as a Clinton advisor, shared the campaign’s official statement in an e-mail to ICTMN: “We received a letter today from representatives of the tribes protesting the construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline. From the beginning of this campaign, Secretary Clinton has been clear that she thinks all voices should be heard and all views considered in federal infrastructure projects. Now, all of the parties involved—including the federal government, the pipeline company and contractors, the state of North Dakota, and the tribes—need to find a path forward that serves the broadest public interest. As that happens, it's important that on the ground in North Dakota, everyone respects demonstrators' rights to protest peacefully, and workers' rights to do their jobs safely.”

:rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVRKpcEYdJQ

Complaint Compilation fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 30, 2016

Lobsterhead
Nov 1, 2010

La
La la la la
La la la la la
La la la
La la
La...

800peepee51doodoo posted:

fake edit: I'm been hopping loving mad hearing about the acquittal of those psycho, nazi terrorists while cops lob concussion grenades and fire rubber bullets at unarmed, peaceful protesters for "trespassing" on lands that are theirs by treaty. The contrast in treatment these two groups got/are getting by law enforcement is loving infuriating and baldly racist.

It really is a travesty. The Bundy fucks should be going to prison, but they're white so they can get away with being actual terrorists. Meanwhile Native Americans are justifiably protesting against the DA pipeline and they're getting attacked and arrested. The US continuing its proud tradition of loving over native people.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
This was a cool thing that happened:

https://vimeo.com/189299392

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

Buffalowned :smuggo:

Tias
May 25, 2008

If the Buffalo Nation straight up stops the pipeline, I will officially stop thinking we don't live in the coolest universe possible :3

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Lobsterhead posted:

It really is a travesty. The Bundy fucks should be going to prison, but they're white so they can get away with being actual terrorists. Meanwhile Native Americans are justifiably protesting against the DA pipeline and they're getting attacked and arrested. The US continuing its proud tradition of loving over native people.

I've had people arguing at me that they stand for the same thing, access to land. Except that's not true at all. Native land claims are based on stewardship and responsible land-use practices in my experience, with a BIG emphasis on available and clean water. Look at the Apache Stronghold protests at Oak Flat for a compliment to Dakota No Access. It's the same rhetoric. And if it's not water or traditional land use access, it's related to sacred sites and human remains, and the respect thereof. Basically, maintain and protect the Earth and it's resources as well as the sacred sites of the ancestors and certainly don't destroy for short term profit. The government is seen as aiding private interests that would destroy the land, and therefore is wrong and when Native communities have disagreements with the federal government over land management policies outside resource extraction, it's usually related to access to sacred sites and the ability to gather a LIMITED amount of traditional plants or animal parts for ceremonial use on federal land.

Contrast this with the Bundys and their ilk. Their whole "reasoning" for taking Malheur was because of some ranchers who got burnt for poaching game out of season and burning sensitive grassland that wasn't theirs to burn. Before that, Old Man Cliven was throwing a fit that the government wanted him to graze only on land set aside for ranching, to pay his fees so upkeep of the land could be done and to not destroy local native sites (a thing that has happened since the occupation, mostly Great Basin Archaic and Paiute rock art sites). They want access to land, unrestricted, so they can overgraze grassland, pot hunt native sites for artifacts to sell, fish out the rivers, hunt when and where ever they feel like it, strip mine the earth, suck up as much oil as you want, chop down trees with no thought, ride ATVs all the gently caress over (which of course destroys plant life, but also fucks up A LOT of Native archaeological sites, this is an ongoing battle in South Utah) and in general despoil the land. In short, they want the land to be open to whoever wants it, can claim ownership of it with a gun, keep others away and profit off the land. I've run into these ranchers on public land here in Arizona, they have no qualms about pulling a gun and telling you to leave public land if they feel you shouldn't be on THEIR LAND. It's not about free use of land, it's about no government control so that those with guns and violent hearts can seize it all to destroy it for profit and fun. To these fucks the government is seen as standing in the way of their ability to do whatever they want, where ever they want and to stop others from having that right with force. Because that's "freedom" to idiots like them.

Basically, the DNAPL protestors, their allies and Apache Stronghold are the ideological descendants of Goyaałé, Dasoda-hae, Bidu-ya, K'uu-ch'ish, Bít'aa'níí, Tȟašúŋke Witkó and Tȟatȟáŋka Íyotȟake, while the Bundys and the general extremist nuts of the West are the ideological descendants of the murderers and thieves who fought and killed those great Native ancestors so they could squat on their land and do as they saw fit. To equate the two is to spit on the sacrifices of all those who died resisting the imperialism of the Spaniard, the British, the French, the Anglo-Americans and even to an extent the Mexicans in the American West.

Tias
May 25, 2008

E: Fake news, sorry.

Tias fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 2, 2016

Nocts
Apr 22, 2008
Soiled Meat
Can anyone actually follow what was happening with the legal injunction and the ACE? I started to read the ruling on the injunction http://earthjustice.org/sites/default/files/files/order-denying-PI.pdf but haven't had time to dig into it thoroughly. What I mostly see is that there's this claim that the the Army Corps of Engineers/DAPL tried repeatedly to contact Waste’ Win Young (the tribes' historic preservation officer) several times over a few month period from ~ September 2014 to February 2015, but failed to get in contact. Is that what the court is considering as having the ACE having "fulfilled" its obligations to try to contact tribal officials? I've tried looking up articles on this but I guess I'm hoping for pretty detail-oriented answers and lol journalism these days. If anyone has information I'd be very appreciative. If nobody responds I think I might read the court filings and try to piece together what the hell happened.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I wonder if its one of those " oh the order has been on public display for months. In a basement. In alaska."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is this facebook checkin thing something that will actually help? I don't want to bandwagon on something that will cause damage or gently caress up the public discussion.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So on the 27th, someone seems to have gotten caught trying to infiltrate the protestors. I'm more inclined to believe this than the sniper thing.

http://www.democracynow.org/2016/10/31/did_dapl_security_worker_wielding_an
https://www.facebook.com/wearethemedia2016/posts/652481118266252

And yeah, I have no idea why the ACE thing that was supposed to halt construction was suddenly overturned with nobody mentioning it.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 31, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

Is this facebook checkin thing something that will actually help? I don't want to bandwagon on something that will cause damage or gently caress up the public discussion.

At least for the time being, it will probably help protect the protestors and their family from police harassment. As for the "randing stock" thing, police algorithms are probably already updated to include it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do we know if they can search friends-only posts? I am assuming facebook behaves as a good capitalist and collaborates at all times.

Too bad none of the usual suspects have arranged a ddos of the local or state police yet.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Jack Gladney posted:

It seems to me that protestors not checking in is a way better strategy than attempting to obfuscate the people that the police can observe checking in, even if you've got a successful obfuscation method.
edit:
The legal situation appears to be highly complex with many specific details. For instance, the September period mentioned above appears to be regarding specifically soil testing to determine what manner of construction is possible, and not any actual construction. (Also, regarding that, the Corps did attend two meetings with the tribe, but wasn't able to discuss anything because the first meeting ended early and the second wasn't attended by Young)
edit2:
Things look pretty bad for Standing Rock:

quote:

Standing Rock took a different tack. The Tribe declined to participate in the surveys because of their limited scope. See Chieply Decl., ¶ 29. Instead, it urged the Corps to redefine the area of potential effect to include the entire pipeline and asserted that it would send no experts to help identify cultural resources until this occurred. Id. In a responsive email, the Corps expressed its regret that the Tribe would not participate and welcomed any knowledge or information regarding historic properties that it was still willing to provide.

twodot fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 31, 2016

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Jack Gladney posted:

At the very least it shows solidarity and spreads awareness, since there are no media outlets covering this.

twodot posted:

The legal situation appears to be highly complex with many specific details.

Seems pretty cut and dry to most reasonable people: this is wrong.

I don't give a poo poo if they avoided a survey, the onus isn't on them to prove that their land shouldn't be wrecked by large oil corporations. Native Americans already have almost no land, and you don't have to go too far back into our history to remember why.

Regardless, we shouldn't be building loving oil pipelines in 2016.

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 31, 2016

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

mitztronic posted:

Seems pretty cut and dry to most reasonable people: this is wrong.
You think it's wrong that someone wanted to drill "seven holes of four inch diameter with an estimated 10 feet of impact on areas around the holes"? That's the issue Nocts' post is about in September 2014, and why the legal situation is quite complex. It covers a large number of actions by various government offices in various jurisdictions, the actual construction company, private land owners, and multiple tribes.

quote:

I don't give a poo poo if they avoided a survey, the onus isn't on them to prove that their land shouldn't be wrecked by large oil corporations. Native Americans already have almost no land, and you don't have to go too far back into our history to remember why.
In a motion for a preliminary injunction, the thing that was posted, and I quoted, the onus is very specifically on them.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Does anybody know what the story is with the Morton County Sheriffs announcing that dude with the AR-15 had been shot by protestors and was being treated, and then the statement was retracted a couple days later? I only came across it today although it seems as though it was all over on thursday friday.

Tias
May 25, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Does anybody know what the story is with the Morton County Sheriffs announcing that dude with the AR-15 had been shot by protestors and was being treated, and then the statement was retracted a couple days later? I only came across it today although it seems as though it was all over on thursday friday.

No, but it would appear to be a lie. We have photos and video of USA veteran protestors negotiating a peaceful stand-down with him, and of his ID papers confirming his employment at one of the security contracting companies.

Pic and quick run down here:
http://theantimedia.org/dakota-access-caught-infiltrating/

E:

On a lighter note: Islander native groups have started some massive loving Hakas in support of Standing Rock:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1102073623245751/?fref=ts

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
On what land is this contested portion of the pipeline being built? Tribal land or private land that is adjacent to tribal land?

I've seen it reported both ways.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Captain Beans posted:

On what land is this contested portion of the pipeline being built? Tribal land or private land that is adjacent to tribal land?

I've seen it reported both ways.

Its not really cut and dry. The pipeline is being built on private and federal land and isn't technically on tribal owned lands. However, a lot of that land is disputed by the tribe as being traditionally theirs by treaty, in particular the piece of land where most of the direct action is taking place. Some private land was seized with imminent domain from people who definitely did not want to sell. Also, some of the land contains sacred sites but the federal government doesn't recognize them as such. Additionally, the pipeline cuts across the Missouri river upstream of the reservation and there are extremely valid concerns that any problems in the pipeline will poison the reservation water supply. This was literally the reason that white people gave for demanding that the pipeline be moved from its original planned path north of Bismark.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Its not really cut and dry. The pipeline is being built on private and federal land and isn't technically on tribal owned lands. However, a lot of that land is disputed by the tribe as being traditionally theirs by treaty, in particular the piece of land where most of the direct action is taking place.
So, not on tribal land then, at least legally speaking. Do the feds have a published survey map somewhere? Surely they must.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tias posted:

No, but it would appear to be a lie. We have photos and video of USA veteran protestors negotiating a peaceful stand-down with him, and of his ID papers confirming his employment at one of the security contracting companies.
Sorry for the facebook link however this is the Official Sheriff's Office Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/MortonCountySD/posts/345562455796099

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dakota-access-pipeline-protesters-removed_us_58123b0ee4b0990edc2fb009

Yeah, I just haven't heard anyone mention that hey, the authorities are literally lying in a way that makes the protestors look like a violent, armed group...

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 1, 2016

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Dead Reckoning posted:

So, not on tribal land then, at least legally speaking. Do the feds have a published survey map somewhere? Surely they must.

The published survey maps would not have the archaeological/sacred sites on them if thats what you are asking. Well, they shouldnt and if they did then someone is going to get fired over that.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Dead Reckoning posted:

So, not on tribal land then, at least legally speaking.

Well, that's actually not a super clear thing either. The treaties weren't just setting up reservation plots and calling it a day. They also granted access to traditional sites for hunting, fishing and religious purposes on land that the tribes didn't necessarily own. So they are allowed to hunt and fish in areas that other people can't, like national forests and such but it also gives them a legal foothold to try and preserve land. There have been a lot of lawsuits filed that argue that development of land that tribes have access rights to by treaty effectively bars them from exercising that right. Some of the lawsuits have been successful and others haven't. I am in no way an expert on this and I don't know the specifics in NoDak but the people out there feel very strongly that they have a claim on that land. Knowing what I do about the history of the government's relationship with native people, I'm inclined to trust them on that.

But it really doesn't matter what the law says about it. That has been their land for 10,000 years. White folk have been using laws that they made up to steal land for centuries. Its also useful to point out, again, that the original plan had the pipeline running north of Bismark. White people complained and they moved it. They didn't shoot the white people with rubber bullets and sic dogs on them.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
A gofundme was started asking for $5,000 which exceeded $1 million:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/dakota-access-pipeline-protesters-crowdsource-5000-get-1-million/

and of course the lovely people of Reddit have a problem with it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/5an0pz/dakota_access_pipeline_protesters_crowdsource_for/

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

MageMage posted:

A gofundme was started asking for $5,000 which exceeded $1 million:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/dakota-access-pipeline-protesters-crowdsource-5000-get-1-million/

and of course the lovely people of Reddit have a problem with it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/5an0pz/dakota_access_pipeline_protesters_crowdsource_for/

Reading that reddit thread I found a link to a court document that says the ACE tried to contact the tribal leaders multiple times for consultations. Other tribes talked to them, Standing Rock mostly didn't. If that's true, holy gently caress their tribal leadership is terminally retarded and may have screwed over everyone else on the rez. Check out pages 15-33 for the whole shitshow. https://ecf.dcd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/show_public_doc?2016cv1534-39

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

I don't see any terminal retardation there, although I don't read legalese well. Seems to me they try to shitcan the tribe because of Young, who can't document her claims as well as the corporation. This does not justify the pipeline, nor the paramilitary repression of protestors.

• Locked thread