Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

I like the whole "let my mother-in-law run over protestors" law. Like, I understand how someone could conjur this boogeyman of protestors jumping out in front of traffic just to get hurt, but really, your response to it is, hey let's make it legal to run people over? Also, one of the legislatures wanted to invite protestors to the discussions on the state budget.

We have dumb legislators is what I'm saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Silento Boborachi posted:

I like the whole "let my mother-in-law run over protestors" law. Like, I understand how someone could conjur this boogeyman of protestors jumping out in front of traffic just to get hurt, but really, your response to it is, hey let's make it legal to run people over? Also, one of the legislatures wanted to invite protestors to the discussions on the state budget.

We have dumb legislators is what I'm saying

Legislators and those backing legislators aren't dumb. The success of their reactionary agenda is pretty self evident, and they didn't just luck into this success.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
So looks like the Trumpster is taking some time out of his very busy week to stick it to DAPL protestors.

'Trump to Sign Orders Advancing Keystone, Dakota Access Pipelines'

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-sign-orders-advancing-keystone-dakota-access-pipelines-n711321

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

^ it wasn't particularly unexpected sadly :smith:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

^ it wasn't particularly unexpected sadly :smith:

He's also cutting at least $500 million in federal assistance to tribes.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Time for another thread title change, perhaps?

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
In a way, Trump screws over a part of his own platform by restarting these pipelines. He can't "save" coal if he actively makes it's top competitors cheaper.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I assume the protesters will return. Godspeed :(

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Keystone fine, dapple bad.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Time for another thread title change, perhaps?

drpl: coward defeats protestor pipe

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
All it took was an executive order from a president who named their inauguration "National Day of Patriotic Devotion" hmmm

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Recoome posted:

All it took was an executive order from a president who named their inauguration "National Day of Patriotic Devotion" hmmm

Rename it to the National Pipeline of Patriotic Devotion IMO.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

He's also cutting at least $500 million in federal assistance to tribes.

And I wouldn't be shocked if it went as tax breaks to oil companies, under his budget.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Why does redtext always tell you to put the person on ignore instead of just pointing out why a person thought spending 10 dollars on an internet thing was necessary and letting people come to their own conclusions as to whether or not putting them on ignore is necessary.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
wut

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Trump's statement on DAPL. It's exactly what everyone expected.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Gobbeldygook posted:

Trump's statement on DAPL. It's exactly what everyone expected.
Considering how much this benefits China, its really weird that he would not show more resistance but I guess its because he has his own investments tied up in it(?)

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

spiralbrain posted:

Considering how much this benefits China, its really weird that he would not show more resistance but I guess its because he has his own investments tied up in it(?)

How exactly are those supposed to work with his "blind" trust and having his kids taking over his empire? I mean, if he still has money in this, isn't their even a potential Conflict of Interest?

But even if there is lol at the idea of it being pursued.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nucleic Acids posted:

How exactly are those supposed to work with his "blind" trust and having his kids taking over his empire? I mean, if he still has money in this, isn't their even a potential Conflict of Interest?

IIRC he hasn't actually done either, from a legal standpoint. He just kind of made a bunch of noise about doing it then let it slide under the radar.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Nucleic Acids posted:

There is no blind trust and his kids aren't taking over his empire. He's said he's transferring operations to them, but there is nothing legally binding about this and lol if you think the Egotistical Micromanager-in-Chief will actually let anything go. More to the point, he's keeping ownership of the companies, so what profits them profits him.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Liquid Communism posted:

IIRC he hasn't actually done either, from a legal standpoint. He just kind of made a bunch of noise about doing it then let it slide under the radar.
IIRC his statement was "I'm the president. There's a special magic law for me - just me, and only me - which means I am not capable of having conflucts of interest because - I hate to repeat myself here - I am THE PRESIDENT."

I'm not really exaggerating. Look it up.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Who would win: 1,000 Native Americans or 1 rich white man?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DeusExMachinima posted:

Who would win: 1,000 Native Americans or 1 rich white man?

Uh, that doesn't sound very fair. Up the number of native Americans to a billion or so and they might have a chance.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

So this pretty much confirms that the radical American Indian Movement is going to come back right? Because that, and cutting aid and ignoring them in every other way is pretty much historically proven to always result in Native people resisting the government in hardcore ways.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Maybe Obama refused to Free Leonard Peltier because he wanted the people to rise up

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

coyo7e posted:

IIRC his statement was "I'm the president. There's a special magic law for me - just me, and only me - which means I am not capable of having conflucts of interest because - I hate to repeat myself here - I am THE PRESIDENT."

I'm not really exaggerating. Look it up.

To be fair, that's basically correct, legally speaking. :v:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

KiteAuraan posted:

So this pretty much confirms that the radical American Indian Movement is going to come back right? Because that, and cutting aid and ignoring them in every other way is pretty much historically proven to always result in Native people resisting the government in hardcore ways.

In the eyes of the legislative majorities of Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota, the radical American Indian movements have always been there, just waiting to take advantage of government.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Nucleic Acids posted:

Regardless, isnt it still a conflict of interest if hes out entirely and his children are benefiting from it??

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

spiralbrain posted:

Regardless, isnt it still a conflict of interest if hes out entirely and his children are benefiting from it??

Yeah, but it's probably not illegal. The main check on the power of the president has always been the Congress and the voting public, and welp...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, but it's probably not illegal. The main check on the power of the president has always been the Congress and the voting public, and welp...

..and welp, the republican half of congress has gone in whole-hog and they're gleefully following his lead by attacking any and all checks and balances

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
So a video has been circulating around Facebook alleging that the encampment is getting buzzed by unmarked aircraft with their lights off at night, and even that they've been getting cropdusted. Now, I'm reflexively skeptical of claims about mystery cropdusting when they come via my vaccine-truther family members, but has anyone else heard similar claims? I know that with DAPL moving forward things are going to get nastier at the encampments in the not-too-distant future.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Quorum posted:

So a video has been circulating around Facebook alleging that the encampment is getting buzzed by unmarked aircraft with their lights off at night, and even that they've been getting cropdusted. Now, I'm reflexively skeptical of claims about mystery cropdusting when they come via my vaccine-truther family members, but has anyone else heard similar claims? I know that with DAPL moving forward things are going to get nastier at the encampments in the not-too-distant future.
I dunno about cropdusting but they've been buzzed by a fleet of Cessnas which are very likely to have contained stingray type devices. I don't have the link on-hand but there is even a paper trail of cessnas of those same models being bought by federal institutions and outfitted with communications-scrambling/spoofing devices. A lot of livestreamers had problems uploading live streams - which timed exactly to the proximity of these same planes which seem to be owned by dummy corporations that don't really exist. Very tinfoil hat stuff.

Since the airspace is still presumably closed, whatever it is must be "legal."

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I assume since the camp is not literally on top of the land the pipeline is going to be built on--or because 99% is done already--then won't the contest be protestors deploying from their camp to try to get onto the construction site versus police trying to hold the line and keep them out? Didn't the camps already get told to move once and then blockaded before the governor (IIRC) rescinded that plan?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Has construction actually resumed?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Quorum posted:

We were definitely never crop-dusted with anything during my time there, but there was at least one unmarked airplane circling low over the camp at all times, 24/7. At night they all fly with running lights off. You get used to the noise eventually.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Has construction actually resumed?

No. Legal issues aside, it's January and they're in North Dakota.

DeusExMachinima posted:

I assume since the camp is not literally on top of the land the pipeline is going to be built on--or because 99% is done already--then won't the contest be protestors deploying from their camp to try to get onto the construction site versus police trying to hold the line and keep them out? Didn't the camps already get told to move once and then blockaded before the governor (IIRC) rescinded that plan?

That's exactly how things have been going for the last few months; there was a camp blocking the actual site, but it was cleared a long time ago, and the current camps are over a mile away from the construction site. Most of the actions that got press were either attempts to reach the construction site, or attempts to clear the bridge to Fargo.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

coyo7e posted:

..and welp, the republican half of congress has gone in whole-hog and they're gleefully following his lead by attacking any and all checks and balances

Speaking of this in the Dakotas specifically, the SD legislature is trying to declare a State of Emergency in order to get an immediate repeal on an anti-corruption law that passed as a ballot referendum. Normally such a repeal would be subject to another referendum.

They also want to add a bill that doubles the required signatures to get a referendum on the ballot.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Is anyone there right now? What's the thoughts on the future of this on the ground?

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Mister Bates posted:

We were definitely never crop-dusted with anything during my time there, but there was at least one unmarked airplane circling low over the camp at all times, 24/7. At night they all fly with running lights off. You get used to the noise eventually.

No. Legal issues aside, it's January and they're in North Dakota.

That's exactly how things have been going for the last few months; there was a camp blocking the actual site, but it was cleared a long time ago, and the current camps are over a mile away from the construction site. Most of the actions that got press were either attempts to reach the construction site, or attempts to clear the bridge to Fargo.

"Clear the bridge to Fargo." Do you mean Bismarck?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
If you go far enough... Don't ALL bridges lead to Fargo, truly in the end? :catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

spiralbrain posted:

Actually, if Kushner is part of the White House, that might make it more of a conflict of interest than if it was just Donald running things directly.

• Locked thread