Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

reagan posted:

"Clear the bridge to Fargo." Do you mean Bismarck?

Yep, whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Actually, if Kushner is part of the White House, that might make it more of a conflict of interest than if it was just Donald running things directly.
Realistically yes, but legally, no. As long as he doesn't receive a federal salary you can pretty much drive an oil freighter through the loopholes. That's why 45 keeps making up positions and bringing people in as unpaid "advisors".

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Actually, if Kushner is part of the White House, that might make it more of a conflict of interest than if it was just Donald running things directly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBySfxKcQY

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

Quorum posted:

So a video has been circulating around Facebook alleging that the encampment is getting buzzed by unmarked aircraft with their lights off at night, and even that they've been getting cropdusted. Now, I'm reflexively skeptical of claims about mystery cropdusting when they come via my vaccine-truther family members, but has anyone else heard similar claims? I know that with DAPL moving forward things are going to get nastier at the encampments in the not-too-distant future.

There was a thing on this back at the end of september:

"Morton County Statement: It is very important that our residents are aware that the aircraft in question was an agricultural spray plane (bi-plane) flying to a field to apply a product. The pilot noticed a DAPL helicopter in the area, and because its engine was too loud to use radio communication to identify its location, the pilot deployed a common tactic to alert the helicopter to the bi-plane’s location. The protocol is to use vegetable oil (the same used in air shows) as a method to identify an aircraft in the area. What you see is the oil being burned off as it hits the exhaust; it is not a pesticide, nerve agent, or anything of the ilk. It’s a safety measure to protect both the bi-plane’s pilot and the pilot of the helicopter.
According to the North Dakota Highway Patrol, the bi-plane was flying at an altitude of 400 to 500 feet and was approximately ½ mile from the protesters. The FAA will be in contacted by the pilot, but the pilot does not anticipate any issues as the actions were in compliance with FAA regulations."

BTW, check out our new gem of a website https://www.ndresponse.gov Where information is calmly and reasonably communicated! Ha ha, jk. Check out it's version of the above statement:

"Myth: Dakota Access pipeline protesters have been sprayed with chemicals, specifically mustard gas, by crop duster planes.

Fact: The State of North Dakota has routinely conducted aerial surveillance of the camps to ensure the safety of protesters. The rationale is to have an understanding of the number of people located in the camps in case mass evacuations are needed because of an emergency, such as wildfires, flooding, or other extreme weather conditions. At the time the rumor started, there were videos posted on social media alleging chemicals being sprayed which depicted law enforcement officers without respiratory gear. Authorities would never spray a crowd with mustard gas or other lethal chemicals, particularly with unprotected law enforcement officers present."

Like, why would you feel the need to clarify that last sentence? Wasn't the statement from Morton County good enough? "Particularly with unprotected law enforcement officers present" begs the question, would the chance of spraying a crowd then increase if officers were not present or were somehow protected? I want to slap whoever wrote this, they should just say they won't gas their citizens, they don't need qualifying statements.

There's some other nice passive-aggresive responses in there too.

In other news, Standing Rock has asked that the camp clear out (http://www.myndnow.com/news/bismarck-news/standing-rock-sioux-tribe-supports-dapl-protesters-leaving/644476138) "The Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Council is supporting the district of Cannon Ball's wish that all Dakota Access pipeline protesters leave the area."

So it looks like the camp part of the protest is over?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Silento Boborachi posted:

There was a thing on this back at the end of september:

"Morton County Statement: It is very important that our residents are aware that the aircraft in question was an agricultural spray plane (bi-plane) flying to a field to apply a product. The pilot noticed a DAPL helicopter in the area, and because its engine was too loud to use radio communication to identify its location, the pilot deployed a common tactic to alert the helicopter to the bi-plane’s location. The protocol is to use vegetable oil (the same used in air shows) as a method to identify an aircraft in the area. What you see is the oil being burned off as it hits the exhaust; it is not a pesticide, nerve agent, or anything of the ilk. It’s a safety measure to protect both the bi-plane’s pilot and the pilot of the helicopter.
According to the North Dakota Highway Patrol, the bi-plane was flying at an altitude of 400 to 500 feet and was approximately ½ mile from the protesters. The FAA will be in contacted by the pilot, but the pilot does not anticipate any issues as the actions were in compliance with FAA regulations."

BTW, check out our new gem of a website https://www.ndresponse.gov Where information is calmly and reasonably communicated! Ha ha, jk. Check out it's version of the above statement:

"Myth: Dakota Access pipeline protesters have been sprayed with chemicals, specifically mustard gas, by crop duster planes.

Fact: The State of North Dakota has routinely conducted aerial surveillance of the camps to ensure the safety of protesters. The rationale is to have an understanding of the number of people located in the camps in case mass evacuations are needed because of an emergency, such as wildfires, flooding, or other extreme weather conditions. At the time the rumor started, there were videos posted on social media alleging chemicals being sprayed which depicted law enforcement officers without respiratory gear. Authorities would never spray a crowd with mustard gas or other lethal chemicals, particularly with unprotected law enforcement officers present."

Like, why would you feel the need to clarify that last sentence? Wasn't the statement from Morton County good enough? "Particularly with unprotected law enforcement officers present" begs the question, would the chance of spraying a crowd then increase if officers were not present or were somehow protected? I want to slap whoever wrote this, they should just say they won't gas their citizens, they don't need qualifying statements.

There's some other nice passive-aggresive responses in there too.

Do you honestly think Americops wouldn't gas protestors :v:

quote:

In other news, Standing Rock has asked that the camp clear out (http://www.myndnow.com/news/bismarck-news/standing-rock-sioux-tribe-supports-dapl-protesters-leaving/644476138) "The Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Council is supporting the district of Cannon Ball's wish that all Dakota Access pipeline protesters leave the area."

So it looks like the camp part of the protest is over?

Uhhh. A bunch of people will continue to hang around to stick it to the man.

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

" The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe is grateful to all who have stood with us during our efforts to secure a thorough review of the Dakota Access Pipeline. Because we worked together, the Federal Government will prepare an Environmental Impact Statement. Moving forward, our ultimate objective is best served by our elected officials, navigating strategically through the administrative and legal processes.

Yesterday the Tribe passed a resolution brought forward by the Cannonball District which asked that no camps remain in the Cannonball District. Councilmen from across the reservation, including Cannonball, described the hardships and strain on the citizens and resources of our Nation. The Council passed the motion unanimously. For this reason, we ask the protectors to vacate the camps and head home with our most heartfelt thanks. Much work will be required to clean up before the spring thaw, which will flood the area. It is imperative we clean the camps and restore them to their original state before this flooding occurs. Once again, thank you, and we wish you well."

So when all the involved parties tell you to go home, at what point have you overstayed your welcome? It just seems like the tribe is saying its time to move to the next stage of the protest, beyond the camp, and to stay is just wasting resources. For those that hang around, what's their excuse?

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

some vaguely good news

https://twitter.com/MollyShenKOMO/status/826867703335915520

edit: apparently that got deleted

https://twitter.com/cmkshama/status/826870838473338881

Seattle city council voting to defund DAPL

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 1, 2017

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

If a broken link is good news I'd hate to hear the bad.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Who cares. I assume Seattle is doing something like divesting their 401k city pensions that might've bought Energy Partner stocks worth 1/10,000th the value of the total pipeline or something? Yeah the oil industry is quaking in their boots. Gold star.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Agreed, they should be physically destroying oil infrastructure instead.

Silento Boborachi posted:

Because we worked together, the Federal Government will prepare an Environmental Impact Statement.

Which agency? The EPA? Because they might be a little busy being closed.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Agreed, they should be physically destroying oil infrastructure instead.
It's worth even more on fire. The BP strategy.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Interesting development. http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bu...Bcnd?li=BBnbfcL

Looks like the feds and tribal heads are on the same page at this point re: the camp, at least. They want it gone. I'd assume the bit about dangerous springtime flood from melting ice is just bullshit to clear the site, but if the tribe's leadership is onboard with it and the camp isn't on Energy Partners land anyway... maybe there's something to it. The elders definitely aren't happy about the pipeline so that hasn't changed but it seems like they're becoming more skeptical of the protestors too.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

blowfish posted:

Do you honestly think Americops wouldn't gas protestors :v:

True story: I spent much of my time in americorps spraying deadly chemicals :tinfoil:

pesticides

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Oh look - D E M found an new uncle tom to point at - water protectors are now proven stupid, errybody rolls in and chest-bumps in celebration.

Natives lose, DeusEWxMachina proved them wrong with incontrovertible logic!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

hmmm when the natives agree with the cops that you should gently caress off then maybe you should take the hint

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

They probably realize people gonna die and don't want that to happen. Plus with pres trump the pipeline is 100% gonna happen.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeah, retreating because your idiot, fascist, man-baby president(whom noted macho retard Mattdizzle probably voted for) orders the pipeline built by any means necessary, isn't really an argument that your cause is wrong, sorry cop and law fetishists.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Tias posted:

Yeah, retreating because your idiot, fascist, man-baby president(whom noted macho retard Mattdizzle probably voted for) orders the pipeline built by any means necessary, isn't really an argument that your cause is wrong, sorry cop and law fetishists.

But destroying property (or occupying it) is clearly violence. Checkmate protestailures :grin:

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Why would the flooding warning be bullshit? The refuse of a thousand person campsite isn't exactly something you want in your waterway, especially when your protest is about preserving water.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Stickarts posted:

Why would the flooding warning be bullshit? The refuse of a thousand person campsite isn't exactly something you want in your waterway, especially when your protest is about preserving water.

Feces are natural, duh.

e: locally-produced, GMO-free feces that is

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 5, 2017

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
German guy who has strong opinions against native americans, that them protesting possible impacts of nearby eminent domain use for private gain is insignificant NIMBYism and that they have it coming if they get hurt by authorities, but also has strong opinions that authorities cracking down on a forum thread about people dying on mt. everest is a step too far

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rodatose posted:

German guy who has strong opinions against native americans, that them protesting possible impacts of nearby eminent domain use for private gain is insignificant NIMBYism and that they have it coming if they get hurt by authorities, but also has strong opinions that authorities cracking down on a forum thread about people dying on mt. everest is a step too far

This is a really cool and interesting post to make in the thread about an oil pipeline

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Guy Goodbody posted:

This is a really cool and interesting post to make in the thread about an oil pipeline
Would you say it's cool and good?

e: Just showing the priorities of the kind of person who obsessively comes back to post about how stupid the protesters are

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rodatose posted:

Would you say it's cool and good?

No. I was being sarcastic. It's weird that you felt the need to try to create drama by dragging in some other unrelated thread.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Guy Goodbody posted:

No. I was being sarcastic. It's weird that you felt the need to try to create drama by dragging in some other unrelated thread.

Actually, not really. I learned a lot about what blowfish thinks of animal rights and hamburger eating - seems like a dude who should post less imo ?!?.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Armani posted:

Actually, not really. I learned a lot about what blowfish thinks of animal rights and hamburger eating - seems like a dude who should post less imo ?!?.

Hamburgers are tasty. Especially if delivered through an oil pipeline I suppose.

Also lol that you assume I offer only my pure and unadulterated opinion on how people should treat animals irl in a GBS shitposting fest.

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

Interesting note: flood risk in mandan/bismarck was greatly reduced by building garrison dam, which devastated the MHA nation/TAT, but I guess the heart, cannonball, and knife rivers still put out enough water to risk the camp?

edit: also I eagerly await to see what kind of fortress fence they put around the pipeline control valves since this thing is probably going to be a vandalism target for the foreseeable future.

Silento Boborachi fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 6, 2017

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

^^^well people in this thread have proposed that if the company can't guarantee the protection of the entire pipeline from vandalism they shouldn't have it, and that oil spills are apparently genocide on top of that, so the only logical option in the name of preventing genocide is for Energy Partners to mount sentry guns every 100 meters on the pipe with IR/NV all-weather capability and programmed to instantly mulch anything that crosses the fence without prior authorization.

Stickarts posted:

Well, I might've been 50/50 on it being bullshit because I know spring thawing is a thing but also it could be a way for the cops to reduce the camp in size. But the fact that elders are also expressing that concern makes it pretty credible to me, if both sides are agreeing.

Also I think the election might've broken a few brains in this thread.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DeusExMachinima posted:

I'd assume the bit about dangerous springtime flood from melting ice is just bullshit to clear the site

I mean, if people seriously reject this, they can stick around onsite without water wings and empirically test the question.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
it's pretty loving lamentable that people complain about flooding due to civil engineering projects which hosed up the local populace, and then the same people claim that dams are the only solution to the problems created by their hosed-up projects.

http://damnationfilm.com/

Guy Goodbody posted:

to be fair, blowfish is a consistant poo poo-poster who does not but disparage minorities - itt

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

DeusExMachinima posted:

Interesting development. http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bu...Bcnd?li=BBnbfcL

Looks like the feds and tribal heads are on the same page at this point re: the camp, at least. They want it gone. I'd assume the bit about dangerous springtime flood from melting ice is just bullshit to clear the site, but if the tribe's leadership is onboard with it and the camp isn't on Energy Partners land anyway... maybe there's something to it. The elders definitely aren't happy about the pipeline so that hasn't changed but it seems like they're becoming more skeptical of the protestors too.

Low-lying areas, particularly near major rivers, tend to flood in spring/summer here in ND. The Missouri just had a decent size flood 4-5 years ago. Someone mentioned dams, but they need to open in order to prevent flooding upstream. That happened to another city in ND 5 years back when the Canadians needed to open up the floodgates to prevent flooding up there.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
It's good that we can chalk this one up to "actually needed a literal fascist to gently caress over the traditional owners" so we can add this to the long list of "why the US government can't be trusted to fairly deal with minorities" :shrug:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Traditional owners? Glad to see another person who doesn't understand that the current reservation borders (which the pipeline doesn't cross) are the result of the Sioux dunking on the U.S. Army and forcing Uncle Sam to the negotiating table.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Ha, in Australia we too had the gall to force the Aboriginals off their land and THEN turn around and say that they can't have it back because they didn't have evidence of unbroken inhabitation :smug:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Yes, I'm well aware Aussies should sweep their own godawful porch before anything else. Nonetheless that's not what happened with the current Sioux borders in this specific area. If we were discussing another reservation you'd be more likely to have a point.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"Oh wow killing you and taking your land is harder than I thought. Sell it now or we'll come back with more guns and kill you all later."

A+++ morality, a just and equitable transaction that respects liberty and natural rights.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

"Oh wow killing you and taking your land is harder than I thought. Sell it now or we'll come back with more guns and kill you all later."

A+++ morality, a just and equitable transaction that respects liberty and natural rights.

you picked the one single treaty between the sioux nation and amerikkka where it was the other way around :bravo:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

blowfish posted:

you picked the one single treaty between the sioux nation and amerikkka where it was the other way around :bravo:

what's your point here?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Sioux sovereignty or land theft claims w/r/t the DAPL are hilarious bullshit being peddled by people who haven't actually bothered to do any research about the land in question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/Law360/status/829064752827609088

I'm sorry, loving what

• Locked thread