Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

DeathSandwich posted:

If a truck topples or a train car derails, you lose the oil on that truck or traincar and have a relatively small spill to clean up.

Or you know, the train blows up a small town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Booourns posted:

Building a pipeline doesn't means less oil is transported through other means, they're not gonna spend money to build a pipeline only to move the same amount of oil as before.

This whole "if you don't build it, they won't come" thinking is kind of absurd. So if this pipeline doesn't get built, they're just gonna leave the oil in Montana? People will just buy less oil because it has to come via truck and/or train? Like, there might be a very small impact in demand along the margins because of the slightly higher transportation costs, but that difference in price per barrel is so small it would be barely noticeable. Like, an OPEC minster can come down with a bad cold and it would have a bigger price effect.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
if we can't solve the entire problem in one simple stroke, might as well not do anything at all ever anywhere

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

if we can't solve the entire problem in one simple stroke, might as well not do anything at all ever anywhere

So you're admitting that this protest was actually about an attempt to wean us off fossil fuels by artificially constraining supply, and that the whole tribal sovereignty thing was just a false front to give it a veneer of social justice?

coyo7e posted:

You have to be intentionally missing the point by now so I'm just gonna stop giving you the benefit of the doubt about not being a troll, and say buh-bye.

I hate to break it to you, but your opinions are not so self-evidently correct that disagreeing with you can only be trolling or deliberate ignorance.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 4, 2017

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

DeathSandwich posted:

If a truck topples or a train car derails, you lose the oil on that truck or traincar and have a relatively small spill to clean up.

If a pipeline in the rear end end of nowhere breaks and the equipment to detect the breakage fails to notify anyone that a spill has occurred it's pretty easy for it to rack up hundreds of thousands if not millions of gallons spilled. Double damage bonus for the break being underneath a lake or river.

http://www.sightline.org/2015/05/06/oil-train-explosions-a-timeline-in-pictures/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxkUhVswF5U

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Dead Reckoning posted:

So you're admitting that this protest was actually about an attempt to wean us off fossil fuels by artificially constraining supply, and that the whole tribal sovereignty thing was just a false front to give it a veneer of social justice?

Do you have a point or are you just here to mischaracterize other posters' arguments to build strawmen?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

The existence of infrastructure is self-justifying. You have people emotionally and financially invested in keeping it in use so as to not waste the effort sunk into building it. If your position is that fossil fuels need to be left in the ground - which is the position of the Standing Rock Sioux and many of the noDAPL supporting tribes - then it follows that you should oppose any new oil-specific infrastructure. It's perfectly reasonable to oppose this particular piece of new fossil fuel infrastructure if you oppose new fossil fuel infrastructure in general.

This is in addition to the fact that there's no good reason to trust anyone who claims it's safe.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cease to Hope posted:

The existence of infrastructure is self-justifying. You have people emotionally and financially invested in keeping it in use so as to not waste the effort sunk into building it.
Yeah the thing is that this is not infrastructure which is for anything resembling a public good - and the fact that they ran it through on easements points to how hypocritical that line of "infrastructure is always good because jobs" is, because it deflects from the point that it isn't infrastructure (also that almost all of those jobs are temporary).

If it was, say, adding a bunch of bus lanes to a city to improve access for folks who don't/can't drive (and the requisite number of bus drivers etc), or building a new bridge to replace one that wore out, or replacing the water lines in a city where all of its water infrastructure was so irreperably compromised that they cannot drink their own water.. Then I'd say yeah, gently caress yeah, infrastructure is good.

But the DAPL is not infrastructure in the way you are using that word. It is not necessary, ir does not increase quality of life for anyone which is passes, and it's entirely privately owned and run with very little safety oversight, and laughably weak punishments for failure to succeed at basic safety and stability of the pipeline and what it's intended to transport.

This entire line of reasoning is false because it simply is either coming from a misunderstanding of what infrastructure is, or the person supposing it may not be ignorant and are willfully misreprenting the DAPL as infrastructure in order to back their point.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 4, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

LanceHunter posted:

This whole "if you don't build it, they won't come" thinking is kind of absurd. So if this pipeline doesn't get built, they're just gonna leave the oil in Montana?

As I understand it, that's more likely than it sounds: the market price of oil has plunged since the pipeline was planned, so unless and until it goes back, no one's who isn't locked into a contract (which I guess is no one, now that construction has passed the deadline) has a reason to buy oil from that field.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
A lot of the problem from people who are arguing for DAPL (or at least against the protestors' objectives) is that they've got this classic black/white binary reasoning to everything. "If you build it, they won't come" is obviously stupid, but the idea that reducing the rate of harvest and distribution of fossil fuels can directly contribute to reduced emissions that will end up loving up everything beyond a point of repair.. You gotta take baby steps toward the goal sometimes.

Perhaps we need to take a step back and ask the people who're against the pipeline protestors or who're "pro infrastructure", what their beliefs about climate change and, if they accept it as A Thing That Exists, do they believe that it is also A Thing Which Can Be Addressed.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
The Government Is Enforcing an Unconstitutional No-Fly Zone to Suppress Drone Journalism at Standing Rock

The comments are quite interesting. Horrific

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Which constitutional amendment was the one about the right to operate aircraft as you please?

Liquid Communism posted:

Do you have a point or are you just here to mischaracterize other posters' arguments to build strawmen?
It's actually pretty important. See, if your real objective is to keep oil in the ground, then any arguments you make about the safety of the pipe are bullshit; it could be literally the safest pipeline ever built, and you would still oppose it on the basis of being "unsafe" because your real objective is to keep oil from ever flowing, but you don't want to actually advance and defend that argument (because it is a really easy argument to pick apart). A similar logic follows with respect to claims that the protests were actually about native sovereignty. I've suspected this for a while, given that no anti-pipeline poster has actually been willing to articulate a reasonable standard for safety they would accept the pipeline being built to, but it's nice to have Cease to Hope accidentally come out and confirm that they've been flat out lying the entire time they were arguing about the importance of safety.

(FYI, the term gets tossed around a lot, but that is what a bad faith argument actually is.)

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 4, 2017

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

If your position is that fossil fuels need to be left in the ground - which is the position of the Standing Rock Sioux and many of the noDAPL supporting tribes - then it follows that you should oppose any new oil-specific infrastructure.

Where has standing rock said they're against the infrastructure? All I've seen is Iron-eyes and Archambault say they're okay with the pipeline itself, just not the location

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Silento Boborachi posted:

Where has standing rock said they're against the infrastructure? All I've seen is Iron-eyes and Archambault say they're okay with the pipeline itself, just not the location

This was my impression. I seem to recall Standing Rock telling the "gently caress all pipelines" demographic to pipe down and let the tribe take the lead and set the narrative, in fact.

Edit: not that I would be surprised if some elders had a less positive opinion of pipelines in general / if that contributed to the internal discussion prior to the protest

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 4, 2017

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

The Standing Rock Sioux have taken both positions. Right now the intake for their water supply is 20 miles south of where the pipeline crosses the river. Sometime next year a new system will come online which will move their intake 50 miles south of where it is now. Archambault said that would make no difference to them.

Bismarck is 50 miles upstream of the proposed crossing. So if he thinks a pipeline crossing the river 70 miles upstream from their water supply as of next year is unacceptable, the pipeline going through Bismarck 70 miles north of their water supply right now would also be unacceptable.

So the only pipeline they would definitely accept is one that does not cross the river at all. The NY Times has a decent infographic on the pipeline's route.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/23/us/dakota-access-pipeline-protest-map.html?_r=0

The only pipeline they would not protest would be a completely new one built going east from the Stanley Facility instead of west.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

coyo7e posted:

Yeah the thing is that this is not infrastructure which is for anything resembling a public good

We both agree. I didn't mean to imply it served any public good.

Dead Reckoning posted:

no anti-pipeline poster has actually been willing to articulate a reasonable standard for safety they would accept the pipeline being built to, but it's nice to have Cease to Hope accidentally come out and confirm that they've been flat out lying the entire time they were arguing about the importance of safety.

I haven't lied to you at all, give me a loving break.

I disagree that the institutions that would create and enforce such a standard can be trusted over the potential lifetime of a pipeline. Even if you make a foolproof gold standard safety protocol today and enforce it by threatening to line up negligent petrochem executives up against a bullet-pocked wall, there's no reason to trust that a future administration won't decide the interests of oil companies trump those of the people who would potentially be affected by a leak, and no reason to trust that an oil company won't decide it's cheaper and easier to insulate against the risk of a leak with insurance/bankruptcy/hedging than actually taking measures to prevent that leak. It's less about specific safety and more about trust - over a long enough timeline, both operator and regulator negligence become inevitable.

This is in addition to Leave It In The Ground. It's not disingenuous to have two reasons for a decision!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

I haven't lied to you at all, give me a loving break.

I disagree that the institutions that would create and enforce such a standard can be trusted over the potential lifetime of a pipeline. Even if you make a foolproof gold standard safety protocol today and enforce it by threatening to line up negligent petrochem executives up against a bullet-pocked wall, there's no reason to trust that a future administration won't decide the interests of oil companies trump those of the people who would potentially be affected by a leak, and no reason to trust that an oil company won't decide it's cheaper and easier to insulate against the risk of a leak with insurance/bankruptcy/hedging than actually taking measures to prevent that leak. It's less about specific safety and more about trust - over a long enough timeline, both operator and regulator negligence become inevitable.

This is in addition to Leave It In The Ground. It's not disingenuous to have two reasons for a decision!
Yeah, it is, if one is a supposedly rational position and the other is absolutist, and you only acknowledge the latter when convenient.

Your first six posts in this thread were all about how there is insufficient regulatory oversight of pipeline operations in the United States. This implies that there is some hypothetical regulatory regime that would satisfy you. But there isn't, is there? (I'm guessing this is why you never responded to my post about current EPA enforcement actions.) You admitted as much in your post. Someone could come forward and implement the most comprehensive regulatory regime in the history of the planet, and you would still say it wasn't enough, because laws can be repealed. But even if it were somehow incorporated into the Constitution or literally carved into stone tablets by the fiery hand of God Himself, you still wouldn't be OK with the pipeline being built, because you have an absolutist belief that we need to Leave It In The Ground.

This is why your objections based on safety and regulation are dishonest: there is literally no regulatory regime under which you would say "I am OK with this pipeline being built", no standard of care that would satisfy you. You knew this from the start. You are presenting a notionally rational position ("pipelines are not safe enough/sufficiently refulated") instead of your actual, absolutist position, which is that no new oil infrastructure should ever be built.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 4, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yet here you are making an absolutist argument that all infrastructure is inherently good because negatives can't be proven to your satisfaction.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Gobbeldygook posted:

The Standing Rock Sioux have taken both positions. Right now the intake for their water supply is 20 miles south of where the pipeline crosses the river. Sometime next year a new system will come online which will move their intake 50 miles south of where it is now. Archambault said that would make no difference to them.

Bismarck is 50 miles upstream of the proposed crossing. So if he thinks a pipeline crossing the river 70 miles upstream from their water supply as of next year is unacceptable, the pipeline going through Bismarck 70 miles north of their water supply right now would also be unacceptable.

So the only pipeline they would definitely accept is one that does not cross the river at all. The NY Times has a decent infographic on the pipeline's route.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/23/us/dakota-access-pipeline-protest-map.html?_r=0

The only pipeline they would not protest would be a completely new one built going east from the Stanley Facility instead of west.

When you head east from Stanley you start to run into nuke silos and the Souris River, which flows north into Canada. No idea if these were considerations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Yet here you are making an absolutist argument that all infrastructure is inherently good because negatives can't be proven to your satisfaction.
Like I asked Commie, I'm going to have to ask you to quote the post where I said that.

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

reagan posted:

When you head east from Stanley you start to run into nuke silos and the Souris River, which flows north into Canada. No idea if these were considerations.

Yeh, an eastern route would also have to go around two other reservations. It could follow Enbridge's crude oil line though, but considering what happened to the sandpiper pipeline project...east ain't going to happen.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

Your first six posts in this thread were all about how there is insufficient regulatory oversight of pipeline operations in the United States.

No, they are that there is no reason to trust the regulators to (be able to/have the political will to) enforce regulations effectively even when they are sufficient (which they frequently are not).

Remember this?

Cease to Hope posted:

Protestors rightly realize that the authorities in charge of enforcing regulation and punishing violators are entirely captured by the companies facing those regulations. The people in charge of deeming one pipeline safer than another are not trustworthy.

Still stand by it.

Dead Reckoning posted:

This is why your objections based on safety and regulation are dishonest: there is literally no regulatory regime under which you would say "I am OK with this pipeline being built", no standard of care that would satisfy you.

There is the hypothetical situation where environmental agencies had actually spent a lifetime plus of effectively forcing petrochem companies to absorb the real costs of their negative externalities but that hasn't happened and I don't think there's another lifetime plus of oil drilling on the current scale left for them to do so, so it's moot. The opportunity to earn trust has passed.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 5, 2017

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

How do you feel about the native owned businesses supporting oil development? MHA Nation, Crow, and Navajo investing in their own energy development projects? Or the tribal regulators monitoring energy development in their own backyards?

I guess I just need to know exactly where you're coming from with the whole regulators are untrustworthy thing. If the regulations are insufficient (and I agree, a lot are), that's on the lawmakers not the regulators. Though some regulators, at least in ND, have always gotten flak for being two-sided, the NDIC regulates oil drilling but is also supposed to promote it. But just because there is an apparent conflict of interest, doesn't mean they're "entirely captured". Like, for the Bakken oil development, you'd have to mistrust the EPA, Three Affiliated Tribe's Energy Division, NDIC, NDDoH, PSC, State Water Commission, etc.

"Are you asserting that the EPA and state environmental aren't captured by industry actors, and won't be at any point in DAPL's lifetime?" Ya, I can assert that. I can also assert that there are probably individuals within the EPA and state environmental that are captured by industry actors, but that doesn't mean their entire associated organization is corrupt to the bone. Remember, these are big agencies, and environmental groups as well as industry groups are watching them like hawks for any signs of impropriety. If company A gets fined $100,000 for an incident and company B only gets fined $1000 for the same type of incident, you can bet company A is going to raise holy hell about it.

Like, look at what happened when the republicans tried to take down the ethics commission. What do you think would happen if, say, Trump replaces all of EPA with his surrogates? I will say it's going to be interesting to see what fallout happens with the EPA rank and file when Pruitt takes it over if he tries anything shady. But don't think just because he's in charge of EPA that the employees are all just going to roll over and play dead.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Cease to Hope posted:

There is the hypothetical situation where environmental agencies had actually spent a lifetime plus of effectively forcing petrochem companies to absorb the real costs of their negative externalities but that hasn't happened and I don't think there's another lifetime plus of oil drilling on the current scale left for them to do so, so it's moot. The opportunity to earn trust has passed.
How would someone other than you go about testing whether reality matches your hypothetical? We get you don't trust these unspecified agencies, but how are we to incorporate your distrust into our decision models?
Edit:
And if the answer is "it's literally impossible to regain my trust" why bother with hypotheticals?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

No, they are that there is no reason to trust the regulators to (be able to/have the political will to) enforce regulations effectively even when they are sufficient (which they frequently are not).
I am unclear how you are attempting to distinguish this from "insufficient regulatory oversight."

Cease to Hope posted:

Remember this?

Still stand by it.
You still haven't offered any evidence that what you are asserting is in fact the reality of the situation, nor made any attempt to describe what you think a "trustworthy" regulatory climate would look like.

Cease to Hope posted:

You do understand that people can click the little question mark next to your name and read the things you said before, yes? Here, let me help you out:

Cease to Hope posted:

Even if you make a foolproof gold standard safety protocol today and enforce it by threatening to line up negligent petrochem executives up against a bullet-pocked wall, there's no reason to trust that a future administration won't decide the interests of oil companies trump those of the people who would potentially be affected by a leak, and no reason to trust that an oil company won't decide it's cheaper and easier to insulate against the risk of a leak with insurance/bankruptcy/hedging than actually taking measures to prevent that leak.
This is the part where you said that there was never any standard of safety you were going to find acceptable. You outright stated that, even if the "gold standard" was implemented, you wouldn't find it acceptable.

But the whole thing is a red herring anyway: you already admitted that your position is that the pipeline should not be built because you think the oil should stay in the ground. All your baseless bleating about regulatory capture and insufficient oversight is bullshit, because even if your hypothetical best of all possible regulatory worlds came to pass, you would still oppose construction of the pipeline. Do you deny this?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
local man comes to conclusion based on two reasons, thread experts baffled

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Vice has a new article up, What Comes After Standing Rock. Interesting in Vice's typical slice-of-life, view-from-the-ground kind of way.

quote:

This undercurrent of insecure moralizing pervaded the camp — everyone wanted to know if you were there to devote yourself to the Sioux or if you had only come to post about it on Facebook. On the icy road outside Oceti Sakowin, my producer Evan and I met a young woman with gray eyes and a hacking cough (Full disclosure: I went to Standing Rock to record two segments for VICE News Tonight on HBO). She said she had come from Ohio with an acquaintance who was not, she assured me, “an actual friend.” The acquaintance had gone missing, most likely back home, leaving the young woman stranded.

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

"He explained to us that the transfer of power had happened because of an outbreak of sexual assaults around camp. When I asked him how often these attacks happened, he said, “Every night,” but then told me that when they had finally caught the alleged serial rapist on camp, they gave him a bus ticket and asked him to go home. "

So, they don't trust the state cops which I can understand, but instead of handing the suspect to even the tribal police they just kick him out?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

"He explained to us that the transfer of power had happened because of an outbreak of sexual assaults around camp. When I asked him how often these attacks happened, he said, “Every night,” but then told me that when they had finally caught the alleged serial rapist on camp, they gave him a bus ticket and asked him to go home. "

So, they don't trust the state cops which I can understand, but instead of handing the suspect to even the tribal police they just kick him out?
You do understand the difference between police jurisdiction and tribal jurisdiction, right? That being, the tribal security force has no real authority in terms of legally detaining people, etc..?

And you said yourself you understand why they don't trust the state cops

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

coyo7e posted:

You do understand the difference between police jurisdiction and tribal jurisdiction, right? That being, the tribal security force has no real authority in terms of legally detaining people, etc..?

And you said yourself you understand why they don't trust the state cops

If you are trying to draw a distinction that there exists no tribal police forces that is incorrect. They do have police forces with the full range of police powers including arresting people who are breaking the law. Where that person will be tried is a different question, but they most certainly can arrest. Source

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Raldikuk posted:

If you are trying to draw a distinction that there exists no tribal police forces that is incorrect. They do have police forces with the full range of police powers including arresting people who are breaking the law. Where that person will be tried is a different question, but they most certainly can arrest. Source
So you claim that the camp is legally under tribal and not federal or stare jurisdiction? That's really getting into a ball of poo poo most do not wanna get near.

Silento Boborachi
Sep 17, 2007

Was it not moved to the reservation? Nevermind then if oceti is still on the northside of the river. There's what, two camps then on the south side then this one on the north side still?

I also remembered tribal police can't prosecute non-natives or somesuch on tribal land even if it did happen there. Ugh.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

coyo7e posted:

So you claim that the camp is legally under tribal and not federal or stare jurisdiction? That's really getting into a ball of poo poo most do not wanna get near.

I'm claiming that tribal police departments can effect arrests. Where the person would be prosecuted is a different issue entirely. US Citizens can't be tried in a tribal court but they can most certainly be arrested by tribal police officers. They also cross deputize which allows them to effect arrests outside of the reservation as well. You claimed they couldn't detain people, but that is simply false.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So they have jurisdiction when not on their own territory?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

coyo7e posted:

So they have jurisdiction when not on their own territory?

Cross deputization allows for it in certain cases. Say tribal police witness someone murdering another, just because they cross reservation lines would not prevent them from being detained. As far as the Oceti Camp it is outside of the reservation and them making arrests could be more difficult there since it is outside of the reservation. But of course, I didn't claim they could arrest anyone anywhere, I took issue with this quote of yours:

quote:

Which seems to suggest that tribal police forces never have legal detaining power, to the point that you call them a "security" force as compared to "police" force, it's all nicely juxtaposed and everything! This aspect is what I have stated from the start is simply false.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Raldikuk posted:

Which seems to suggest that tribal police forces never have legal detaining power, to the point that you call them a "security" force as compared to "police" force, it's all nicely juxtaposed and everything! This aspect is what I have stated from the start is simply false.

I think he's saying that the camp security forces aren't the actual tribal police.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Apparently there's been some action including the authorities firing rubber bullets and teargas and whatnot at protestors over/during/after MLK weekend. A lot of the coverage of the places which used to be up to the minute are spotty and I'm trying to avoid just posting facebook links where I can't easily figure out the real date/time that they were taken (in case they are dupes being shoveled around as new stuff, which does happen in our world of social-media-suggested information), so I don't want to link them.

It seems as though there's some kind of multiple surface-to-air missile firing vehicle which is near the anti-DAPL lines though, or something that sure as poo poo looks like a cold war mobile missile launching vehicle. Also, confirmed by the military. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...protestors.html

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Welp if I'm gonna trust any facebook feed to show what's been going on recently, then mabe this one is a viable point of beginning for other views https://www.facebook.com/MortonCountySD/videos/391813057837705/

This is kinda fun, see if you can find any one of their videos with more than 10% likes/view https://www.facebook.com/pg/MortonCountySD/videos/?ref=page_internal

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 19, 2017

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I'm in DC for the inauguration, but there's a lot of water protectors here at St. Stephens; we've been watching live streams and posts by friends; looks pretty ugly from here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Uglycat posted:

I'm in DC for the inauguration, but there's a lot of water protectors here at St. Stephens; we've been watching live streams and posts by friends; looks pretty ugly from here
Yeah the feeds I've been able to find are pretty shocking, and a lot of the protectors left at the DAPL camp who're going up to the barriers are really trying to rile up the police and military a lot of the time, it seems. I just watched a video where a bunch of people with mirrors held as shields go up toward the barrier and then you hear the "pop pop pop!" of a bunch fo rubber bullets being fired, then someone hollers, "did that hurt?!" and one of the people at the front shouts back, "gently caress you it didn't hurt - I got body armor, bitch!"

quote:

I will always support Indigenous Rights. I will always support the fight for Mother Earth. I will always support civil and human rights. I will always support peace. Peace will always come first.
1) The Oceti Sakowin Camp fire has been extinguished for well over a week. The Horn has left. As far as I am concerned, Oceti Sakowin Camp is no longer a presence on camp. The ashes have been sent in 7 directions. The camp has transitioned out of Oceti Sakowin. With that, many at camp have lost their prayer. Many people, a mixture of anger, and infiltration have caused immediate threat to the camp by encouraging confrontation with police and national guard at the front lines. Making threats, throwing objects. Even a snow ball can be considered reasoning for police to react with violence. They are itching for a reason to pull a trigger. Many people are giving them the chance to make that happen. Those people put EVERYONE at risk. Not just those on the front line, but those in the camp that still remain in prayer.
2) The army corp of engineers has initiated the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). This is what we have been prayer for, for a long time. This could very well kill the pipeline. Actions that turn aggressive risk the opinions that may be formed in this process. Not only are you risking the camp, but you are risking the entire movement.
3) out of state lawyers have been approved by the ND Supreme Court to represent water protectors. This is a huge victory for the camp, and justice. Civil and human rights committed by Morton County have been documented, and law suits are pending. Legal is in a very good position right now. Prayers worked. Risking this by acting out of prayer on the front lines is unforgivable by my opinion.
4) Many water protectors, indigenous and not. Red, black, white & yellow have all come together to kill a black snake. The opportunities that have manifested through unity are now coming to light. Those putting the movement at risk by aggression could very well destroy everything that has been worked so hard for. This is bigger than you. This is for our future generations. If you preach that, you must live that.
5) There are new camp leaders that have recently stepped up. They have been very unclear about their intentions. They say one thing, then support another. They speak as a leader, but do not embrace the responsibilities of a leader. This is only my opinion, but this is how I see it.
As of this post, I will not be covering any more of what is taking place on the camp north of Cannonball River. I will not cover actions or any involvement of that camp until it returns to a place of peace, prayer, unity, and respect.
I came here to help end a war, not begin one.
Don't get me wrong;
-water is life
-Death to DAPL
-Morton County Sheriffs are oppressive
Peace for all,
-Redhawk

Also another journo got injured by rubber-coated bullets, and there are repeated reports of peple being shot in the back with no warning after being told to disperse (and complying), as well as of people being hit by vehicles. Apparently the surface-to-air missile launching vehicle was recalled though.

Also there's this: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/rcmp-pipeline-damage-1.3938192,

and then this gem from the sheriffs

link to source if you don't believe they unironically tossed this out to the public https://www.facebook.com/MortonCountySD/photos/a.162536147432065.1073741828.140989796253367/392184231133921/?type=3&theater

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 20, 2017

• Locked thread