Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is this facebook checkin thing something that will actually help? I don't want to bandwagon on something that will cause damage or gently caress up the public discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do we know if they can search friends-only posts? I am assuming facebook behaves as a good capitalist and collaborates at all times.

Too bad none of the usual suspects have arranged a ddos of the local or state police yet.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

America's fly over states are uninhabited wastelands. The states of Wyoming, North Dakota, and South Dakota have a combined population equal to the St. Louis metropolitan area. However, at 100k Bismarck still swamps the population of the Standing Rock Reservation's population of 8,250. If the pipeline leaking is a risk, then we should put it where it is less likely to hurt a "major" population center.

How many people have to live in a place before they're worthy of human rights under your rubric?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

You should do what is best for the most. Better to put 8k at slight risk than 100k.

Then why haven't you yet done your moral duty and driven yourself to the nearest hospital, taken fast-acting neurotoxin, and pinned a note to your chest explaining that you would like to donate all of your organs, JS Mill? Alternately, why should the new freeway go through your house and not your neighbor's? Utilitarianism of this sort will always be a reducto-ad because it frequently relies on stupid unexamined premises.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

I am a blonde haired fair-skinned man and could easily join the KKK. I am also the direct descendant of a half-black orphan. No one knows why he was dumped at an orphanage before the Civil War, but it's pretty much certain that if not one of his parents then some of his ancestors were slaves. So despite having never been judged once in my life by the color of my skin I am probably entitled to slavery reparations. That would be ridiculous. The alternative is that we forget about slavery reparations and focus on more recent harms, like Jim Crow, redlining, and so on, and perhaps consider compensation and affirmative action on that basis. Do you see the analogy to Native Americans?

Again, you are proposing a world where no-one ever forgives or forgets anything, forever re-litigating past slights in the name of "justice".

You don't know anything about the case for reparations, do you?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is this reroute thing the real deal, or just another tactic to kill pressure and attention long enough to sweep out the protestors and continue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

Let's recall what you said to me earlier in the thread.

They won, therefore they were right. So might makes right when it suits you.

You have access to Wikipedia too! You know what's really interesting? How utterly worthless every single post you've made in this thread has been.

Drive by claim that no-one should listen to a particular poster.

Interesting, drives by to accuse me of being an "openly racist shitbag"

Another post just driving by to accuse me of being racist.

Interesting post that contributes nothing to the discussion.

Interesting post that contributes nothing and ascribes bad faith to your opponents.

Boy, everyone who is against you is a racist!

Everyone who doesn't agree with you is pro-genocide.

Could you please just gently caress off?

It wasn't might that caused pipeline construction to end. The protesters had none.

• Locked thread