Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

I've been seeing quite a few articles posted about this by activists on my feed, and not a lot anywhere else I get news.

Here's some pictures along with an article.

Here's another article about some more details about the pipeline.

And a short bit mentioning the desecration of burial sites and an emergency motion the tribe filed to stop the pipe.

Here's a white house petition if you enjoy yelling at the wind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/north-dakota-pipeline-tribe_us_57cf3702e4b03d2d4597288f?section

Looks like a judge has gotten the company to halt construction temporarily, until a more detailed decision comes out.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/north-dakota/4110814-north-dakota-governor-asks-national-guard-assistance-pipeline-protest

quote:

MANDAN, N.D. -- Gov. Jack Dalrymple activated the North Dakota National Guard in a limited role Thursday to provide support for civilian authorities dealing with the Dakota Access Pipeline protests south of Mandan as a key court ruling loomed Friday.
“Law enforcement has done everything we can do not to escalate the situation with the protests, but our hands are being forced at this point by unlawful acts and aggression actions taken by protesters within the protest groups,” he [Morton County Sheriff Kyle Kirchmeier] said.
No mention of any of the corporate mercenaries who sicced attack dogs or maced protestors being held accountable for anything.

Another article, this one by Bill McKibben (apparently some members of 350.org are helping out)
http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily...TAwMDU2ODU5MwS2
A choice excerpt:

quote:

Their foe, most directly, is the federal government, in particular the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, which has approved a path for the pipeline across the Missouri under a “fast track” option called Permit 12. That’s one reason the Dakota Access Pipeline, as it’s known, hasn’t received the attention that, say, the Keystone XL Pipeline did, even though the pipe is about the same length. Originally, the pipeline was supposed to cross the Missouri near Bismarck, but authorities worried that an oil spill there would have wrecked the state capital’s drinking water. So they moved the crossing to half a mile from the reservation, across land that was taken from the tribe in 1958, without their consent. The tribe says the government hasn’t done the required consultation with them—if it had, it would have learned that building the pipeline there would require digging up sacred spots and old burial grounds.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

https://www.democracynow.org/2016/11/21/headlines/standing_rock_100_injured_after_police_attack_with_water_cannons_rubber_bullets_mace

A few excerpts:

quote:

In North Dakota, more than 100 Native Americans and allies fighting the $3.8 billion Dakota Access pipeline have been injured by police, who attacked them with rubber bullets, tear gas, mace canisters and water cannons in freezing temperatures Sunday night. The attack was on a bridge near the main Oceti Sakowin resistance camp.
Water protectors say the police also fired rubber bullets at journalists, shot down drones being used to document the attack and fired flares which ignited grass fires. Legal observers with the National Lawyers Guild said multiple people temporarily lost consciousness after being shot.

I love how the sheriff's spokesman is claiming a) the protests set the fires (not police flares) and b) they were trying to put out the fires and c) no water cannons were deployed when there's footage of them using water cannons to pretty clearly just hose down protestors while completely ignoring the nearby fires. I imagine the spokesperson lying to the media will have literally no consequences at all, though.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

silence_kit posted:

I kind of wish I would have gotten a There Will Be Blood 'I am an oilman' avatar, after writing my post about how most people who do the low-effort vague protesting against oil at large, are pretty huge hypocrites and actually are heavily reliant upon oil and would be kicking and screaming if it weren't cheap and plentiful. Oh well.

This is you. You are actually this guy right here.

• Locked thread