Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So on the 27th, someone seems to have gotten caught trying to infiltrate the protestors. I'm more inclined to believe this than the sniper thing.

http://www.democracynow.org/2016/10/31/did_dapl_security_worker_wielding_an
https://www.facebook.com/wearethemedia2016/posts/652481118266252

And yeah, I have no idea why the ACE thing that was supposed to halt construction was suddenly overturned with nobody mentioning it.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Does anybody know what the story is with the Morton County Sheriffs announcing that dude with the AR-15 had been shot by protestors and was being treated, and then the statement was retracted a couple days later? I only came across it today although it seems as though it was all over on thursday friday.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tias posted:

No, but it would appear to be a lie. We have photos and video of USA veteran protestors negotiating a peaceful stand-down with him, and of his ID papers confirming his employment at one of the security contracting companies.
Sorry for the facebook link however this is the Official Sheriff's Office Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/MortonCountySD/posts/345562455796099

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dakota-access-pipeline-protesters-removed_us_58123b0ee4b0990edc2fb009

Yeah, I just haven't heard anyone mention that hey, the authorities are literally lying in a way that makes the protestors look like a violent, armed group...

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 1, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DeusExMachinima posted:

If nuclear was as common as coal, you'd be able to point to a larger list of failures and lay it out in an impressive looking post even though on the whole they're far safer. Freaking out over pipelines destroying the environment is the same as people blowing Three Mile Island out of proportion or condemning fracking when the alternative is burning more coal. There is no free lunch here, period. Until we find a renewable resource with a) the energy density of oil and that b) doesn't require a net negative investment of energy to extract, oil is here to stay. Hopefully technology evolves sufficiently before we run out of it. If you've got an alternative to it right now by all means step up and receive your Nobel prize.
Naw dude, you have a fundamental lack of understanding about energy management. If we don't build the DAPL that does not mean that we have to find some alternative fossil fuel to cover the equivalent amount of energy. Either you're being actively disingenuous by claiming that the DAPL is going to improve the cost of energy for Americans, which it's not, or you simply don't have a clue about sustainability in terms of energy.

It's not about installing more solar panels and wind turbines to offshoot the use of fossil fuels, as much as it's about making sure that current systems and technologies are being used to their full potential. The vast majority of refrigerators, water heaters, HVAC units, chillers, blowers, and other pieces of climate control infrastructure in most commercial and industrial buildings are badly, badly maintained - often times people will simply yank out timer controls etc, because they got frustrated with a semi-related problem and they decided that the best troubleshooting method was the dyke out the timer, which leaves one system running full-bore 24/7, which leads to other systems going full-bore to coun ter that heater or HVAC or exhaust fan that's running, etc etc on down the line. That's not even getting into improving the equipment with existing technologies.

Commercial and Industrial buildings consume 60% of the energy in the USA and in most developed nations, and they actually have huge incentives to imrpove... But naw bro, let's just build another pipeline to burn more fuel so we can run that AC unit all night while nobody's in the building.

Check out The Ecology of Commerce, or google up one of Bill McDonough's Cradle to Cradle videos (or read the book), or The Philosophy of Sutainabile design, or hell just go watch Chasing the Sun which focuses more on residential projects and energy policy, but also pulls back the curtain on what kind of pushback we face.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 2, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dead Reckoning posted:

Can you provide any example of a system of building permits that works this way?
This is exactly how they determine whether you get a business or residential meter in your home when the utility provider comes and installs it. It's not literally, entirely based on zoning or permits but it is based on the intended purpose of the property, which nominally equates to its zoning. Shockingly, this means that business customers of a utlity providert pay more for their power than most residential customers.

As for what happens when you privatize utilities and energy providers and depend on them to be honest and intend the best for all involved, well, refer to California's 6 days of brownouts and blackouts, and watch The Smartest Guys In the Room.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gobbeldygook posted:

I thought business consumers paid more simply because they can pay more? I know some (most? all?) areas charge on a sliding scale where as you use more electricity you pay more per watt.
Pretty close... But!

Energy utilities have three classifications for a property/building:
-residential. self-explanatory, this includes apartments, high rises, and other high density buildings, as well as every stick-built house or double-wide trailer that plugs into the grid. (don't ask me how a high rise with commercial space as well as residential works, I suspect it involves multiple meters though).
-commercial. This is a HUGE range of property and buildings, because it includes stuff like retail, office space, server farms (this should probably be industrial, the energy usage of these things is ENORMOUS), schools, universities, and governmental buildings as well as communal stuff like sports arenas and stuff.. Probably even churches. Retail spaces can also have drastic fluctuations in energy consumption based on who moves into the space... Imagine the utility bills of an American Apparel store at the mall, versus an Ice Cream shop (refrigeration and cooling are by far the highest consumption in any given building, in almost every possible case), versus someone just papering over the windows and installing a server farm in that empty space?
-industrial. manufacturing plants, distribution plants, water and sewage treatment, waste disposal, you name it.

Now the second two both use the same kind of meter, but there reasons to keep them seperate - largely due to the power draw being a lot higher use and for longer sustained periods in industrial, than most commercial tends to end up with. (again, this is a great reason to move large-scale IT facilities into industrial classification, for various reasons which would assist infrastructure)

Once you get a commercial meter, the utility provider watches your energy usage in minute increments over a long period, so they can get some benchmarks and stuff to figure out how much you use per hour, day, week, month, and annum - as well as in much smaller intervals. Once they get a good baseline (I dunno how they charge for a fresh building that's not started up yet, but probably by using stats on similar structures in similar climes, with similar output and production levels - they probably get the data from the EPA's Portfolio Manager software which contains stats for every goddamned building in every state in the USA that's ever had an energy audit done, its climate, power draw, etc etc, amazing tool https://www.energystar.gov/buildings/facility-owners-and-managers/existing-buildings/use-portfolio-manager insert political comment: this is one reason why we don't want to get rid of the EPA, among other things they provide tools like this to anybody at all - for loving FREE! ) they go through and identify the highest peak usage within a 15 minute window for the ENTIRE year. Then the utility provider says "well, we need to make sure we cover our asses, so we'll need to have enough juice bought up that we could cover that building's 15 minute peak times 30,040". Then they adjust the price each year, based on the same metrics.. This also means that a business can get absolutely astounding RoI by just figuring out what their worst 15 minute window was and then dealing with it.. Energy Managers and Auditors tend to literally pay for their own salaries of consulting fees almost immediately, for this reason..

Part of the reason it's so important to focus on energy use reduction and efficiency increases in the business sector, is that residential buildings have a much, much longer expected RoI window - if you go to install a better water heater, or a solar panel, or a set of new windows in your house, you are going to have to figure out how many years it will take before it pays for itself, and a lot of those type of projects will not "pay for themselves" for a period which is usually 10 years, 20 years, 30 years, or 40 years depending on the installation.

So immediate benefits for businesses include saving huge loads of money, good public PR, better production from employees as well as higher employee satisfaction (well-maintained buildings have good lighting, good ventilation, and no stale air, as well as nobody fighting over the thermostat all day).

NewForumSoftware posted:

:siren:stop building oil pipelines:siren:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 3, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gobbeldygook posted:

I thought business consumers paid more simply because they can pay more?
I'm going to just quote this because I can't explain it super-succinctly like some folks I know are able to however, it comes down to demand versus supply versus consumption - which is not the same as supply and demand in most areas you think about this - specifically when it comes to energy providers as a social infrastructure, if that makes sense..

Publicly-Owned Utilities - their entire purpose is to provide enough power to support the needs of their area and its customers and also to prevent disasters due to shortages or poor infrastructure maintenance. I live in the PNW where the public utility providers formed a co-op which provides them with a load of bargaining power when they go to Bonneville Power and give them their order of juice for the upcoming year (and they do try to do that, because if BP runs out of juice errybody gets hosed, so they need enough warning about the demand, to make sure they can handle providing enough power to meet that assumed demand as it comes up - while still understanding that the actual consumption of energy may be different and covering it anyway).

Privately-Owned Utilities go by the (totally non-ironic) acronym IOUs because they're Investor-Owned Utilities, who manage the energy and water needs of their area and customers with the ultimate goal of providing a profit to their investors. I can list 30 or 40 years of what happened with IOUs on the west coast in large part, as well as give plenty of anecdotal evidence from friends and family I know who live far out in the sticks and rely on IOUs rather than public utility district providers - their bills are huge, they hate their service, it takes eons to get anyone to fix their poo poo.

For reference to someone not living in the PNW, my personal energy bill is 5.27 cents per kilowatt-hour (you can find this, it's itemized on your power bill), which means that the actual electricity-used part of my bill for my current place I live came to like 16 bucks for the month of July (I used 306 KWH), on this bill I just had in a nearby drawer - which is shockingly lower than a lot of places back east, ignoring the water portion or service fees.

It really is that simple - the government stepped in a long time ago and said, "hey, everybody has the right to water and power - it's a basic human need due to our level of civilization and society, that pretty much nobody ends up living like an animal (because they're, ultimately, a drain on society if they're unable to consume or provide goods or services in the most socially-accepted manner.) Some places have deregulated, and that generally lends itself to areas where there isn't enough demand or customers to bother to keep them happy, so the utilities get jacked way up, and the customers go "welp, I'll buy a loving generator and live mostly off the grid because this bullshit is unreliable."

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 3, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Liquid Communism posted:

To give you a comparison, I paid 11.17 cents per kilowatt-hour on last month's bill in Iowa. MidAmerican, our provider, surprise, surprise is an IOU.
I've actually been thinking about starting a thread along these lines of the stuff I've been talking about here, for the last few days, and maybe tossing it up in in A/T or something.. I was mostly hoping to find a few other folks with some background in energy mgmt or facilities and infrastructure maintenance and controls before tossing up an OP and looking like the wet behind the ears intern that I still am.

However, I'm curious if you or CommieGR are aware of any incentivized programs in your state/region (you can often find them through your provider) which offer rebates and the like for upgrading your equipment, and possibly if they're fed-funded or funded through your IOU? I know that in Catching the Sun covers some incentive programs (both career and customer-oriented) but those are in CA, and CA is still recoiling from the cock-slap that Enron gave them in the early 2000s..

I am curious if IOUs in any of the areas that weren't hosed over by blackouts due to the system being gamed by privately owned organizations, are being active in helping their customers use less power so the IOU has less overhead costs (and thus higher profits) or whether or not public incentive programs are available.. Or maybe there have been brownouts and blackouts all over states in the midwest and on the east coast (summer of sam cough cough) and it's already been addressed and I'm just not familiar enough with local politics and history?

Programs like those have the capacity to be huge agents of change while not hurting anybody's bottom line and also providing shitloads of new jobs in growing industries

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 3, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Liquid Communism posted:

MidAmerican is doing a ton of work in that direction. Putting in literal billions of dollars of wind infrastructure right now.
Good to hear, that means more jobs for me

But seriously, this is the biggest potential growth sector I can possibly think of, right now. I missed the silicon bubble, the search engine bubble, etc.

But we're all gonna die if someone's not doing these jobs, it's not really that tough of poo poo (especially if you're already strong in IT or construction or electrical, because it's basically maintenance with a lot of analytics and the ability to read blueprints and calculate physics poo poo based off thermodynamics, liquid dynamics, and pressure differentials) to do, there's a million off-branches and most haven't been invented yet, and I don't particularly care if I'm a hired gun helping a big gross company cut their margins by saving energy usage, or helping people at 2*poverty get new water heaters and windows and poo poo for free, or anything in between..

Watch Catching the Sun, and then ignore all the wankery about solar power - solar's great, we've got some new cells which are way more efficient, but there's so much more which can be done before we even bother strapping poo poo to the roof of any given building. Also google up cradle to cradle, and that philosophy of sustainable design book.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 3, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
At the very beginning, before it ever even gets to your precious 1% figure, we have this caveat: "About 67% of the electricity generated was from fossil fuels (coal, natural gas, and petroleum)." So it's cool because only 1% percent of power on the grid is literally provided by burning petrofuels, so gently caress it we need to pump more oil to provide more power to the commercial sector instead of providing them with a reason to not waste so much energy. Cars don't exist. Gotcha. Way to dodge the point by sperging on a tangent.

Or perhaps you're being disingenuous about what the difference between coal and petrofuels and natural gas (methane) is, in terms of environmental cost, production cost, etc, in pursuit of your agenda?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 4, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

blowfish posted:

uhhh

how does a three percentage point (or like 9%) difference in living next to coal plants lead to a 200% asthma difference

I mean clearly something is wrong for that level of asthma difference to be there but it's something additional besides coal

and again because living next to a modern nuclear waste dump has negligible health effects unlike living directly downwind of a modern coal plant the path of least resistance has no harms other than pr for nuclear waste
You're somewhat conflating coal plants with the asthma epidemic in urban environments. I mean imagine growing up in the Bronx in the cities - you weren't getting asthma from coal plants, but from burning buildings and dust.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

rudatron posted:

'Shot' has a strong implication of 'shot with lethal ammunition', so unless you say 'shot with rubber bullets', you are actually being dishonest. This is obvious to everyone, even yourself, and the only reason you're denying it (in public), is because it's convenient for you to do so, and you (falsely) assume that by arguing technicality/pedantically, you can frustrate other people into not calling your bullshit.
No.

If you were to go up to a crowd of people and shoot one of them with a rubber bullet, the authorities won't be like, "oh it's cool it didn't kill anyone."

When a guy on a boat shoots someone in the back with a non-lethal round, they still shot someone - whether or not it meets your requirements for the definition of being shot really has no bearing, because they were still shot.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

blowfish posted:

Yeah and that's not from enviromental racism, which was the point of contention.
I dunno, white developers conspiring to burn down buildings in minority neighborhoods so that the developers could reap huge profits by rebuilding and gentrifying entire neighborhoods, while ignoring and/or decrying the dangerous hellscape they themselves created, and its effects on those who live and work there? Sounds a lot like environmental racism to me.

edit: perhaps you would be so kind as to define what "environmental racism" is, then? Is it, say, killing off the buffalo that Native Americans depended on, in order to make money selling pelts to wealthy people? Is it damming up rivers which Native Populations subsisted off of, and then giving the jobs to white people, and then routing off most of the power to big cities? Flat-topping mountains which the people of Appalachia have lived on for generations while ignoring the residents? Taking bulldozers to federal wildlife reserve land which used to belong to native people, and then holding it with guns?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 5, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Trees are people. People aren't people. Got it

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The thing is, just because you live in an urban environment, doesn't mean that the environment doesn't exist, or that it can't be actively harmful.

Do you believe that having mumble mumble percent of black people living within a couple miles of a coal plant etc is environmental racism? If you do, how is that not directly related to redlining?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

twodot posted:

Sure, but the words used wasn't "potentially lethal force" it was "shoot". I would also say it's dishonest to describing using a taser as shooting without more context. When people say "the police shoot" with no extra information, I think it's reasonable to assume, they mean normal bullets, and I think the author is aware a lot of people will make that incorrect assumption.
How about if, say, I pointed a gun at you and fired a blank, and the wad or some detritus in the barrel injured you? Would you consider that a "shooting", or is it some kind of mealy-mouthed poo poo where there's no bullet, so it's not going to injure someone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMp7ZCGVLmo

Or maybe if there's a not-a-real-lead-bullet projectile which happens to come out of the barrel and which hurts or injures someone is covered as "shooting" someone in your book, how about if I held a gun to your head and pulled the trigger, and no projectile came out, but it still killed you from the gas expansion? Is that shooting you, or not? http://articles.latimes.com/1998/oct/04/local/me-29125

But wait, okay, those are obviously times when someone was killed by accident. So how about when I point a less than lethal rubber bullet gun at you and shoot you, and you die? Did I "shoot" you? What if I fired the rubber bullet and it didn't kill you but only hosed you up real good, did I "shoot" you then?

Okay so now I'm gonna shoot you with a rubber bullet and it'll only injure you in a non-fatal way, did I shoot you?

Or okay, I shot you and you were wearing like, a few layers of heavy clothing and it just felt like you got hit by a bullwhip and a baseball bat at the same time and it left a :fuckoff: big welt, but there was no like, serious physical damage outside of the whole "being kicked by a horse" thing. I didn't shoot you, right? So we've established what "shooting" someone is, and what isn't, right?

I mean, I've been hit by a water balloon launcher that knocked me down and left a softball-sized welt for a week, I'd say a rubber bullet probably hurts a lot worse.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 5, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
let me translate, "real 'muricans ain't gonna cry like little babby girls because they sustained a mutual impact with a non-lethal defense round.. Grow a pair, bitches"

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

qkkl posted:

Why doesn't the company just sign a contract with the land owners stating that if an accident happens then the company will pay for all damages, such as the water being polluted?
You can't really put a dollar value on that kind of damage. People do all the time but the costs are absolutely enormous, widespread, and have a long tail that can last for years or decades before you know the true extent of damage. The fines these companies pay are usually insignificant compared to the profit they make in a given period of time, and the money doesn't tend to end up in the hands of anyone who suffered.

Really what ought to be done is to restructure how limited liability corporations can be formed and can remain an entity. They really were formed to encourage investment in high risk and low growth areas, and eventually grew to encompass virtually every reasonably-sized business out there. They've come a long way from when the board of investors were expected to also be wholesome and informed citizens with an interest in pursuing a reasonable profit through public works intended to improve everyone's lot

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 6, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

rudatron posted:

The only way out is 'through', and the only way 'through' is ruthless materialism - 'thinking like an oil company'. Only applied to whatever goal you actually want.
Tribes already have corporations and stuff, but they can't afford to take long-term investments to build up a large enough legal warchest to buy out the competition. Your line is reasoning is terrible, and ultimately forces everyone into a system which is problematic at best

It's ironic really, that corporations gained the rights of people which turned them essentially into immortal and superhuman entities, and now you're saying that the best way to deal with this issue is to have people turn themselves into corporations :downs:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pellisworth posted:

I spoke with my mom (instructor at a Lakota tribal college) last night, she had a lot of students and other people she knows who participated in the protests and occupation and of course it's a huge topic of debate on the reservation.

The occupation is basically over, done, finished by Trump being elected President. There was some hope that Obama in his lame duck term (after the election) or Clinton would intervene, but with Trump there is zero chance. According to her everyone is despondent and gloomy and have basically admitted it's now a lost cause.
I bumped into the back end of a NoDAPL protest in my city today heading home from class.

Also some news that isn't about natives being run over and having guns pointed at the,:
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/dakota-pipeline-protests/army-corps-engineers-says-pipeline-construction-can-t-continue-without-n683871

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Liquid Communism posted:

I see you suffer from a category mistake here.

Not all infrastructure is public infrastructure. Public infrastructure is good and often necessary.

This project, while industrial transport infrastructure, is not public infrastructure. It is a privately owned concern's method of easing their shipping costs and increasing throughput. It does not in any way serve the public good.
Here's a protip which ought to help figure out if infrastructure is for the public, or not...

If the property owner agrees without recompense or disagreement, then the easement was willing and the property owners are happy to have it.

When property owners and neighbors and everyone in the immediate area flips their poo poo, on the other hand... http://countercurrentnews.com/2016/10/woman-arrested-property-land-stolen-dapl/

At least one of the anti-DaPL links I came across today defines an easement as, "an agreement to pass through land to provide a public service," what service is this pipeline giving those folks? I've had all kinds of easements on my property as a kid growing up, helping my folks flip properties etc.. And one of the really, really nasty tiny details about an easement - is that if you DO NOT fight it for a long enough period (if you were aware of its existence, or harm, or annoyance factor, or not!) then you just have to knuckle under and eat poo poo and allow literally unlimited numbers of people to cross "your" (cuz it sure as gently caress isn't any longer) property in perpetuity and also now you're the lawbreaker if it gets past the point of reasonable traffic to you, as the person who bought and paid for that land which is now a public access throughfare

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/easement

So basically it's your land - you still pay taxes on it! But it's no longer yours to use, and it's probably stuck in the middle of your own ACTUAL land, so you've got to figure out ways to cross it (bridges, tunnels, agreements to bury the line under the ground so it's not in your loving way 24/7, etc) and now you can be charged if you happen to get in the way of whatever stranger shows up on your property at whatever time of the day or night for any reason, to do whateverthefuck they deem "necessary".

In my personal experience, the word "easement" can be a poison bullet to a property purchase - because nobody wants to buy a piece of property that some third-party assholes can cross at will and whim, and have no recourse. I've seen my own parents both refuse deals because of annoying easements with sketchy neighbors, or simply sell off as son as an easement caught them flat-footed and they got sick of dealing with it

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 16, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Avenging_Mikon posted:

So delay is a viable win strategy? Sweet.
Very much so

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Is there any footage which shows these supposed fires being set, or blazing?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

RandomPauI posted:

I saw a still photo in one article.
the drone video seems to show some largish looking bonfires but they appeared to be on top of water maybe - and definitely 30-45 degrees or more angled away from where the water was going. I was looking really hard for pricks of light where the hoses were going but they were so small and so hard to see they looked like refraction.

Of course if it's sub-freezing temperatures, building a bonfire not near the lines of conflict is not exactly an offensive maneuver

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

wateroverfire posted:

drat, that's terrible. I hope she recovers.
last update I heard (from democracy now) was that she'd posted to facebook that she was probably keeping the arm. I'm holding off flipping out on this until there's some kind of word from her that has more sources. The police department claims it never used any concussion grenade and that it was probably an IED made by protestors despite multiple reports over days of them being used. Also 've seen pictures of concussion grenade explosions before and that looks way more like one of those than an IED, if it'd been a bomb wouldn't other people have been badly injured?

either way it's a horrible shitshow and I have a sinking feeling that it's just going to be a meatgrinder until either the protestors are all in the hospital, or something gives in.

I really hope the companies funding DAPl have to foot most of the bill for this use of force and equipment, because I sure as poo poo know that if a thousand people camped out on my land I wouldn't have a half-dozen MRAPs out there disbursing them for me for free

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Hmm, a small propane 1 lb gallon propane bottle held under your arm might do that, but there'd be shrapnel hitting other people and poo poo, it'd probably kill you imho. Propane bottles are designed to NOT explode randomly from ruptures and impacts, and it's not easy to like, stick a fuse in them. The chances of being that close to a propane cylinder which was literally being heated up over a fire or something for a period of time (perhaps a road flare? :sci101: ) are pretty slim unless she was literally trying to jockey around for a good shot with a lit propane bomb. Extraordinarily unlikely imho

On the other hand
http://imgur.com/gallery/2YIni :nms:

Dead Reckoning posted:

Conventional tear gas and smoke grenades don't detonate and don't contain explosives, so probably not that.
But stun grenades aka flashbangs aka concussion grenades do. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stun_grenade#Lethality_of_stun_grenades

(also note that the info in that lethality link is suspect, because "On May 28, 2014, a 19-month-old baby boy's face was severely burned and mutilated when a stun grenade was thrown into his playpen by a SWAT team looking for drugs in a Cornelia, Georgia home. The baby survived with facial disfigurement.[15]" the damage also caused one of the baby's lungs collapsing and some serious damage to his abdomen as well. http://abcnews.go.com/US/family-toddler-injured-swat-grenade-faces-1m-medical/story?id=27671521 you can clearly see or read about the bandages and damage to his chest and lung in most other sources)

quote:

What they didn’t realize at the time was that the blast from the flash-bang grenade severely burned Bou Bou’s face and torso and collapsed his left lung. Alecia says the officers wouldn’t allow her to see her child before he was whisked away in an ambulance.

“I asked if he got hurt. And they said, ‘No, your son is fine. He has not sustained any serious injury,” Alecia Phonesavanh remembers. “They ended up telling us that he had lost a tooth.”

But her husband became alarmed after seeing a pool of blood and the condition of the crib. “Burnt marks on the bottom of the crib where he sleep[s],” recalls Bounkham Phonesavanh. “And the pillow blown apart.”

Bou Bou was rushed to Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta where doctors placed him in a medically induced coma. “His chest wall had torn down to muscle,” says Dr. Walter Ingram, head of Grady’s burn trauma unit. “And it tore his face down to bone, down to his teeth.”

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 23, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DeusExMachinima posted:

Dare I even ask how they got burned out in the first place?
I've heard zero information about police or military or emergency response vehicles being messed with however it does seem as though more than that one truck owned by the DAPL companies like the one the crazy pool-wading dude with the AR (which was definitely lit on fire after that, to my knowledge, and I think a few more were within the next few days) drove, got torched. I only noticed this though because I was specifically searching to see if there'd been any sabotage of the big expensive construction equipment past having someone chain themselves to it - and there's almost nothing to indicate property damage outside of a few pickup trucks which seem to've gone up in smoke immediately after that guy with the AR went on his mini rampage.

I heard nothing about burned-out vehicles being used to block this particular bridge in the last few days though - the hoses and conc grenades and rubber bullets were supposedly deployed when the protestors tried to clear away a blockade from a bridge but I heard no indications that it was the same bridge that protestors burnt barriers on previously, or that they lit anything on the bridge on fire - drone footage certainly doesn't look like there's much in the way of vehicles or material on the bridge.

Please let me know if and when I'm mistaken on any of this because that's about the best info I've been able to piece together from a buttload of media sources in the last couple weeks - a lot of sources (even "MSM" ones) seem to be radically minimizing the injuries - my local paper had a DAPL story in the bottom corner of the front page today and it read "200 protestors treated for hypothermia after clash with authorities in sub-freezing weather - policeman injured".

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 23, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

wateroverfire posted:

IDK man. You don't have to go far back to find accounts of violence by protesters. For instance:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dakota-access-pipeline-protesters-removed_us_58123b0ee4b0990edc2fb009

It seems like a stretch to claim they have much cohesive leadership when tons of people are from out of state and/or not connected with the tribe at all.
The police retracted this statement a day after it happened. Turns out nobody was shot in the hand or anywhere, and only one woman with a gun was arrested.

Shine on you crazy diamond

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Also I have literally never in my life laid eyes on a silver propane tank of any size. Maybe it's a Midwest thing?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

XMNN posted:

Just go on the wiki page for a handy list of examples of people receiving blast injuries from flash bangs

Naw man DEM has played every call of duty and flashbangs only deal 1 point of impact damage and no blast damage

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

XMNN posted:

in which we pretend that setting off a charge containing ammonium perchlorate to create a bang in fact creates no sort of overpressure whatsoever on the basis of ???
It's MAGNESIUM man. He knows that magnesium is hot so it only burns people!

Don't you understand physics? :laugh:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So there's a ton of by the minute videos from a guy livestreaming from the other night that nobody's mentioned itt yet so if you want, just google up Kevin Gilbertt dapl. His video shows a small fire spring up spontaneously and then get snuffed out in seconds, it's not really possible to tell what started it.

Details I hadn't heard mentioned so far include the materials of the bridge barricade - two burnt dump trucks parked nose to nose. I hadn't realized that they've been there for weeks and the authorities refuse to remove them. As Uglycat posted, what was going on that night was they had successfully hooked up one of the dump truck hulks and dragged it off the bridge and into the road, before the police and guard showed up in real force and began firing tear gas and using a water cannon directly on protestors when they got bottled up on the bridge. There were no fires on or near the bridge.

Dead Reckoning posted:

The majority of the pipeline is constructed on private lands and requires no federal permits. The ACoE has to approve construction at the 209 points where it crosses the waterways of the United States. The ACoE believes that they have met their obligation to review the environmental and cultural impacts of the project at these points. The ACoE also has to consult with affected native tribes. They are not required to act on the tribes' input. The Corps has demonstrated that they made a good faith effort to consult with the Standing Rock.

The tribe has argued that, since the pipeline would not be built without the 209 crossings, the ACoE should do an environmental and cultural review of the entire pipeline, one during which they would be required to consult tribes again, rather than just reviewing the crossings. The courts have rejected this idea.
You're using blatantly false information to prop up your entire argument. http://www.usace.army.mil/Media/News-Releases/News-Release-Article-View/Article/1003593/statement-regarding-the-dakota-access-pipeline/

quote:

Washington, D.C. – Today, the Army informed the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, Energy Transfer Partners, and Dakota Access, LLC, that it has completed the review that it launched on September 9, 2016. The Army has determined that additional discussion and analysis are warranted in light of the history of the Great Sioux Nation’s dispossessions of lands, the importance of Lake Oahe to the Tribe, our government-to-government relationship, and the statute governing easements through government property.

Also there's the whole thing with private landowners also being walked over by their bullying style of using easements because the pipeline is supposedly some sort of necessary piece of public infrastructure and not a wholly private piece of construction.

Uglycat posted:

There is /not/ cohesive leadership.

Red Warrior is camp security. They have been asked by Standing Rock to leave. There's a variety of other groups at play too; each camp has their own elders, there's the AIM crowd, there's Rainbow, there's Occupy and Burner folk... it's pretty much an autonomous zone - but people /do not/ disrespect the elders.
Self-appointed security is always a really scary sign of things getting dangerous. These guys basically sound like a passle of Lavoy Finicums.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Elendil004 posted:

I am seeing conflicting sources. Has the national guard deployed to standing rock or just police?
http://www.kfyrtv.com/content/news/ND-National-Guard-to-increase-presence-to-help-with-DAPL-protests-401733066.html

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I find it telling that the nation's police forces are more willing to use non-lethal and lethal force against unarmed protestors - than they are about actual armed rebels.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Liquid Communism posted:

I wish it was surprising, but you know how it goes with authoritarians. They're at their happiest when they can apply the maximum amount of remotely justifiable force to a target which is not a threat to them.
Looking at my post I should have used "criminals" instead of "rebels". I apologize for whitewashing the militiamen even more than they already are :downsrim:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
https://www.facebook.com/paul.blumekmsp/videos/1115197865202714/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

The injured woman's father going over what happened and how it played out and why. Not the first time I've heard she got shot by rubber bullets a few times as well.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dead Reckoning posted:

On the contrary, law and morality are orthogonal. The proper role of law is to define the relationship between citizens and the state/society, not to encode morality. Most people would agree that adultery is immoral, but far fewer think it should be illegal. Not everything immoral is illegal, and not every lawful action is moral. Complaining that the law does not prohibit someone from doing something you find morally objectionable is like complaining that you've been working out and eating right, but your car still doesn't go any faster.
Yet with all of this brilliant-sounding yet thin copy-pasta adds nothing to the discussion, adds nothing to your premise, and still hasn't changed.

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-anything-legal-but-immoral

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Source - http://homebrave.com/home-of-the-brave//standing-rock-part-one

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DeusExMachinima posted:

You guys realize that unless you want to count out all less-lethal options, CS isn't usefully distinguishable right? Just giving me your word that getting hit with a less-lethal chemical agent is morally worse than whatever other less-lethal thing you'd prefer doesn't give me a reason to take you seriously.
Stop moving the goalposts. Get the gently caress off the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Show me a documented source with video or pictorial evidence that isn't "police say." I'll wait.
Naw he's right there is plenty of documentation of the protestors engaging in violence... It's super easy to find it, just look on stormfront, breitbart, bearingarms.com (this one's good, they go full-out TFR on what kind of tear gas launchers the police used and ignoring the fact that all witnesses say it was a thrown object.)

I noticed that police now claim they found a pierced propane canister (which, as anybody who's familiar with propane knows, means that it couldn't have exploded). But why do they keep claiming that they found rocks and saying they're commonly used in molotovs?

• Locked thread