Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

LiterallyTheWurst posted:

The IED factory can be found at Tipi #7, just past the Dress Barn and opposite the Kroll's Kitchen. ND journalists are notorious for not rocking the boat, so I expect this IED claim will be published and taken at face value by most ND residents.
Every post that I have found regarding this woman had referred to a concussion grenade, not tear gas or smoke. These things are meant to explode in a controlled fashion that makes a loud noise. It was a SWAT concussion grenade that seriously injured a toddler a few years ago.

One poster suggest that the police should try to seal protestors in an area away from construction. That is what led to the events in 11/19. The police had some burned out military vehicles blocking access to a previously occupied site, and the protestors attempted to open up the road. Ultimately, the police are going to clash with protestors if they oppose and delay the pipeline. There is no way around that.

Finally, anyone that is puzzled by the seeming lack of Lakota opposition to this pipeline should have a look at the fight against drilling at Killdeer Mountain. It's a sacred site to the Lakota and the location of a massive battle between the US Army and the Lakota following the massacres in Minnesota. The opposition did everything by the book, but drilling was approved there because delaying the drilling "would leave 3.5 million barrels of oil and waste $250 million." I guess Bakken Shale has an expiration date. Drilling was allowed to happen right over a site that had yielded some interesting artifacts in a survey. But no worries, Dalrymple and friends asked the company to haul fill dirt to the site rather than dig it from that very spot.
http://m.bismarcktribune.com/bakken...19bb2963f4.html
Of course, Dalrymple took hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign contributions from oil and is allowed to move those directly to his bank account with no oversight. ND politics are sleazy as hell and ND citizens are extremely racist. This protest was the best option available for Standing Rock.

Dalrymple is such a loving putz. Seriously, what has he done for the state aside from reduce restrictions on oil companies? Even his name is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

coyo7e posted:

Literally calling the protestors evil.

Also

THen what is this https://twitter.com/UR_Ninja/status/800646152051982336

He's way out of his depth.

Also lol the water cannon says Stutsman County, meaning it is actually trucked in from another part of the state. I know Cass County Sheriff (Fargo) is near the protest site as well. The whole state is rotten. I still like my farm, though.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

coyo7e posted:

^^^^ He's also wilfully ignoring the fact that Embridge doesn't own that land.

the last I heard there were police forced from five STATES - not counties.

I was living in Bismarck and Minot up until April of this year but I haven't had a chance to keep up. Which states? Montana/South Dakota/Minnesota? Who else?

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Huge snow storm. Stay safe.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
The governor has ordered an immediate evacuation of the protestors for their own safety due to the current snow storm.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Uglycat posted:

I have a pet theory that it was Homeland Security that persuaded the Army Corps to deny the easement, as allowing it would pose a threat to national security. There was *definitely* 'radicalization' happening in some of those camps. Never saw a /single/ weapon in camp, though. I did spy a Homeland Security vehicle in Bismark, a day or so before the eviction notice. And I believe the NSA was late to the party, so far as monitoring communications in and out of camp go.

A worker blew the whistle on the lack of pipeline inspections during manufacturing back in 2015. It was on the news for a while and quietly disappeared.

And there are homeland security vehicles all over ND. It's because of the border with Canada, not the protest.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

DeathSandwich posted:

If a truck topples or a train car derails, you lose the oil on that truck or traincar and have a relatively small spill to clean up.

If a pipeline in the rear end end of nowhere breaks and the equipment to detect the breakage fails to notify anyone that a spill has occurred it's pretty easy for it to rack up hundreds of thousands if not millions of gallons spilled. Double damage bonus for the break being underneath a lake or river.

http://www.sightline.org/2015/05/06/oil-train-explosions-a-timeline-in-pictures/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxkUhVswF5U

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Gobbeldygook posted:

The Standing Rock Sioux have taken both positions. Right now the intake for their water supply is 20 miles south of where the pipeline crosses the river. Sometime next year a new system will come online which will move their intake 50 miles south of where it is now. Archambault said that would make no difference to them.

Bismarck is 50 miles upstream of the proposed crossing. So if he thinks a pipeline crossing the river 70 miles upstream from their water supply as of next year is unacceptable, the pipeline going through Bismarck 70 miles north of their water supply right now would also be unacceptable.

So the only pipeline they would definitely accept is one that does not cross the river at all. The NY Times has a decent infographic on the pipeline's route.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/23/us/dakota-access-pipeline-protest-map.html?_r=0

The only pipeline they would not protest would be a completely new one built going east from the Stanley Facility instead of west.

When you head east from Stanley you start to run into nuke silos and the Souris River, which flows north into Canada. No idea if these were considerations.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Mister Bates posted:

We were definitely never crop-dusted with anything during my time there, but there was at least one unmarked airplane circling low over the camp at all times, 24/7. At night they all fly with running lights off. You get used to the noise eventually.

No. Legal issues aside, it's January and they're in North Dakota.

That's exactly how things have been going for the last few months; there was a camp blocking the actual site, but it was cleared a long time ago, and the current camps are over a mile away from the construction site. Most of the actions that got press were either attempts to reach the construction site, or attempts to clear the bridge to Fargo.

"Clear the bridge to Fargo." Do you mean Bismarck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

DeusExMachinima posted:

Interesting development. http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bu...Bcnd?li=BBnbfcL

Looks like the feds and tribal heads are on the same page at this point re: the camp, at least. They want it gone. I'd assume the bit about dangerous springtime flood from melting ice is just bullshit to clear the site, but if the tribe's leadership is onboard with it and the camp isn't on Energy Partners land anyway... maybe there's something to it. The elders definitely aren't happy about the pipeline so that hasn't changed but it seems like they're becoming more skeptical of the protestors too.

Low-lying areas, particularly near major rivers, tend to flood in spring/summer here in ND. The Missouri just had a decent size flood 4-5 years ago. Someone mentioned dams, but they need to open in order to prevent flooding upstream. That happened to another city in ND 5 years back when the Canadians needed to open up the floodgates to prevent flooding up there.

• Locked thread