Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Thread deserves some Two Bulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Wow. I had only heard about the Havasupai, who live in and around the Grand Canyon, and thus constituted quite an inconvenience to people wanting a pristine and human-free view of the pretty rocks. Although from what I've read, the really bad days seem to be behind them.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I was going to go sarcastic in this post, but I got depressed. Obviously, the narrative of "pristine wilderness beauty" is both contrary to history and part of our legacy of genocide. Read the book for such proud moments as the national Sierra Club fighting tooth and nail to keep the Havasupai from getting a single scrap of the land which the Park Service has publicly earmarked for a resort complex.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I just want them to explain where they think the IEEFA went wrong in their analysis.

For those who haven't seen it yet and aren't motivated to ignore its mention, it sets out why, even separate from any position on pipelines in general, this particular one is a scam and already on the verge of failure. If you'd prefer an extreme summary to reading a dozen pages: oil prices are half what they were when it was planned.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

If you're in favor of a reduction of profit, what's wrong with protests making the venture more costly?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

blowfish posted:

big oil is lovely and terrible given the current state of big oil and the current state of the planet

nimbys and other randoms with very strong opinionsTM being able to block construction at will is shittier and more terrible-er given any state of big oil and any state of the planet

That's what I suspected. I assume you know that a lot of people would rank these the other way around? Why are they (okay, we) wrong?

blowfish posted:

the more general bad of randoms with very strong opinions being able to shut down infrastructure construction outweighs the specific bad of building an oil pipeline over places

There are countries where the peasantry are given no rights which they could use to override the decisions of capital, but I don't think either of us live in one. As far as I can tell, if you're bothered by "randoms with strong opinions," you're bothered by democracy. Which, okay, you aren't the only one in the subforum with that position, but I assume you know how popular democratic principles are with most folks, so...what's the pitch? What's the downside we're missing? What's the tragic consequence of people being able to make things happen or not happen?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

blowfish posted:

You are not free to take the law into your own hands unless you are ready to keep getting arrested for it until you either convince broader society to change the law or give up.

So you dislike these protestors because you question their commitment to protesting? They haven't broken the law enough?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Morbus posted:

The implication seems to be that this sort of direct action is either counter-productive, illegitimate, or both.

It's super weird to me too, but I think there's a lot of people committed to that position. I still remember the first time I met someone who thought it was laughable to make a distinction between "illegal" and "immoral." At least he at least had the excuse of being a teenager from Georgia.

Dead Reckoning posted:

So if a direct action group started just randomly killing refinery workers to intimidate them into not showing up for work, and it was effective in doing that, you would consider that legitimate?

Is this refinery in Syria? :v:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

blowfish posted:

Allowing protestors to decide what gets built is bad because protestors aren't necessarily right about what to protest.

So because sometimes people protest good things, it's also bad when people successfully prevent a bad one via protest.

You probably at least vaguely know that over the course of American history, many different protests have succeeded, but our society has yet to be rendered powerless against protests.

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure it's possible and logically consistent to support people protesting the construction of oil pipelines while also trying to educate and dissuade the people who protest against modern nuclear power plants?

He knows nuclear plants are good and pipelines are bad, he just thinks that protestors are much worse. It may a non-sequitur to you and I, but I believe to him it's the central issue at stake here: people agitating the wrong way are beneath contempt, and must be taught a lesson, lest the march of progress grind to a halt.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

My internet connection does not seem up to downloading a file of that size, but I'll keep trying.

blowfish posted:

Decisions with large scale and long term effects need to be made by competent people, and if necessary through formal processes.

Who has decided what constitutes competence and formality, and how did their standards gain such moral weight?

I'm worried your answer to the latter part will be something about how things would be bad without some laws, in the same way they'd be bad without some infrastructure, therefore we should be loath to criticize any laws or infrastructure.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

blowfish posted:

People who have studied the topic in question sufficiently to make an informed and factual assessment get to make an informed and factual assessment. This is because their findings are not just based on random-rear end opinions but state-of-the-art knowledge and well-tested methods. If the question is "does this project risk harming the environment/drinking water/etc" then you ask environmental engineers and ecologists, not the first person with a really strong opinion you come across.

A good place to start when looking for sufficiently qualified people would be e.g. a selection of universities or institutes with active research departments in the relevant field, because that's where you find people who study complicated issues too hard for the layman to understand.

This is consistent what you'd already said, but does not directly answer either of my questions:

Doc Hawkins posted:

Who has decided what constitutes competence and formality, and how did their standards gain such moral weight?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Bullshit. If these people suddenly ended up in Lakota Sovereign Territory, they wouldn't suddenly lose their American Rights nor their land.

Sounds like the plot of a Chuck Tingle book. Pounded in the Pipeline by the Proud Lakota Nation.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Senator Heitkamp has given a statement on the decision:

quote:

It’s long past time that a decision is made on the easement going under Lake Oahe. This administration’s delay in taking action -- after I’ve pushed the White House, Army Corps, and other federal agencies for months to make a decision -- means that today’s move doesn’t actually bring finality to the project. The pipeline still remains in limbo. The incoming administration already stated its support for the project and the courts have already stated twice that it appeared the Corps followed the required process in considering the permit. For the next month and a half, nothing about this project will change. For the immediate future, the safety of residents, protesters, law enforcement, and workers remains my top priority as it should for everyone involved. As some of the protesters have become increasingly violent and unlawful, and as North Dakota’s winter has already arrived – with a blizzard raging last week through the area where protesters are located -- I’m hoping now that protesters will act responsibly to avoid endangering their health and safety, and move off of the Corps land north of the Cannonball River.

Additionally, our federal delegation and governor have been working together in a bipartisan effort to push for more federal resources for law enforcement who have worked day and night through weekends and holidays to support the safety of our communities. The administration needs to provide those funds – whether the protesters remain or not.

Emphasis mine: "more money for us," and "gently caress you," if not in that order.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

who cares?

it's the same dumb legalistic rabbit hole which is not currently and most probably never will be relevant

I think their intention is to have you to admit that it would be bad, and that therefore the world is a better place thanks to past and ongoing oppression of native peoples.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Unless the natives seized the territory by force and imposed a treaty on the US Government that ensured they'd be able to genocide the white population, then they would have the Mandate of Heaven and the treaties and genocide would be a sound moral basis for the Sioux nation's private property rights.

I'm having a hard time believing that he'd really keep consistently to his principles if they became a burden to oil extraction.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Looks like Marty Two Bulls' hasn't drawn a victory cartoon yet, but of course, most of his work on the subject looks pretty victorious.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Apparently there's a Lakota story about a "black snake from the north" showing up at the end of the world, and Marty really took to that image.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Principle 0: The Hippie Must Be Punched.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I hear those darn protesters are doing sit-ins at local diners, obstructing law-abiding citizens like us from being able to sit at the counter. I think I'll show them what I think of this behavior by pouring a malt over their head, or perhaps peacefully disperse them with a fire hose.

No no, you don't understand: they're trying to stop something from being built. I forget what exactly, but what would we do if nothing could be built? It'd be quite the pickle. Luckily we can non-violently shoot them with rubber bullets for their own safety.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

guys i'm just asking questions but can you prove that this pipeline isn't going to be the one that is perfectly safe forever

It's just like the old saying goes: progress depends on people being reasonable.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

This whole "if you don't build it, they won't come" thinking is kind of absurd. So if this pipeline doesn't get built, they're just gonna leave the oil in Montana?

As I understand it, that's more likely than it sounds: the market price of oil has plunged since the pipeline was planned, so unless and until it goes back, no one's who isn't locked into a contract (which I guess is no one, now that construction has passed the deadline) has a reason to buy oil from that field.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Agreed, they should be physically destroying oil infrastructure instead.

Silento Boborachi posted:

Because we worked together, the Federal Government will prepare an Environmental Impact Statement.

Which agency? The EPA? Because they might be a little busy being closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Not at all.

For instance, sometimes it prevents the construction of oil infrastructure. :argh:

• Locked thread