Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I've been there twice, am going back for a couple weeks in a few days, and I haven't seen anything that could have even been used to make a Molotov. Alcohol is strictly prohibited in camp, vehicles are subject to search by the security team to make sure nobody brings booze in, there isn't a liquor store for like an hour-plus in any direction, and the nearest gas station is ten miles away and doesn't sell any beverages in glass bottles. Plastic bottles don't really work. Gas is also really hard to come by (again, nearest station is ten miles away).

Trust me, if the cops actually had footage of a protector throwing an incendiary, it'd be front page news on every major network site in the US and the Morton County Sheriffs would be sharing it to every goddamn page on Facebook. They'd be standing on top of mountains and shouting that poo poo to the heavens. It would also be one of the first times that's happened at a protest in the US in decades, incidentally; they're super super uncommon in the States.

What they have actually been sharing is a single photograph of a spent propane tank of the kind you'd use for a camp heater or small stove, i.e. campsite garbage, and completely unsubstantiated claims that people have been 'manufacturing explosives' with them.

It reminds me a lot of the 14th Precinct occupation last year, when St. Paul police claimed they had found a stash of 'bombmaking supplies' and accompanied it with a photo of empty Gatorade bottles, Burger King wrappers, and an old sock. Or the NATO 3 trial, when the police confiscated a dude's home beer brewing kit as 'bombmaking supplies'.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Quorum posted:

So a video has been circulating around Facebook alleging that the encampment is getting buzzed by unmarked aircraft with their lights off at night, and even that they've been getting cropdusted. Now, I'm reflexively skeptical of claims about mystery cropdusting when they come via my vaccine-truther family members, but has anyone else heard similar claims? I know that with DAPL moving forward things are going to get nastier at the encampments in the not-too-distant future.

We were definitely never crop-dusted with anything during my time there, but there was at least one unmarked airplane circling low over the camp at all times, 24/7. At night they all fly with running lights off. You get used to the noise eventually.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Has construction actually resumed?

No. Legal issues aside, it's January and they're in North Dakota.

DeusExMachinima posted:

I assume since the camp is not literally on top of the land the pipeline is going to be built on--or because 99% is done already--then won't the contest be protestors deploying from their camp to try to get onto the construction site versus police trying to hold the line and keep them out? Didn't the camps already get told to move once and then blockaded before the governor (IIRC) rescinded that plan?

That's exactly how things have been going for the last few months; there was a camp blocking the actual site, but it was cleared a long time ago, and the current camps are over a mile away from the construction site. Most of the actions that got press were either attempts to reach the construction site, or attempts to clear the bridge to Fargo.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

reagan posted:

"Clear the bridge to Fargo." Do you mean Bismarck?

Yep, whoops

• Locked thread