Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

tsa posted:

This thread has less posts in 3 days than the militia thread had in 3 minutes. Media these days reacts to what people are talking about and not even d&d seems to care much.

Actually one of the militia were killed and the rest are getting the book thrown at them. What a complete travesty of justice that is :rolleyes:

I don't think you could chose a worse comparison if you tried.

Obviously the National Guard should have autocannoned the militia and rolled over tarp man in an APC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

Would you be okay with it if it ran through Bismarck over the same river and was still capable of contaminating the water supply downstream if it leaked? Or are you just standing athwart history yelling STOP?

Hoo boy, who did you make mad enough to give you this redtext :allears:

I suspect it's really just yelling STOP but wouldn't have made the news (outside of the Bismarck, Flyover State #5 local paper with a weekly circulation of 20, seriously how lovely is your state if the capital has a population of under 100k) if there weren't people protesting against it in sight of a reservation.

As a side note, someone from my year in uni (UK) just took a flight to merica to protest at standing rock :laffo:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The Corps didn't listen to Standing Rock concerns in the 60s, when they destroyed entire towns, why should the Standing Rock expect them to listen now

because it's 2016 and they listened to five other reservations' concerns and repeatedly asked if standing rock had concerns maybe?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Condiv posted:

i doubt the need of such a pipeline, and the people who refused to sell should not be forced to sell (especially at "fair market value") to suit the needs of private interests

yeah the point of contention should be "less oil pipelines" not "no oil pipelines within sight of this specific reservation"

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Condiv posted:

disagreed. i agree "less oil pipelines" is a good thing to argue for, but environmental racism is something we have to combat specifically by making it harder to put potential pollutants near oppressed groups. in fact, doing so would probably help a lot making "less oil pipelines" a reality

ehhh a nuclear waste dump isn't the best example to support your argument here. it's the #1 example of nimby bait that sounds scary but won't actually affect anyone negatively (unless your house got eminent domain'd for being within the actual facility's area) so choosing the path of least resistance and building it wherever is totally fine

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

uhhh

how does a three percentage point (or like 9%) difference in living next to coal plants lead to a 200% asthma difference

I mean clearly something is wrong for that level of asthma difference to be there but it's something additional besides coal

and again because living next to a modern nuclear waste dump has negligible health effects unlike living directly downwind of a modern coal plant the path of least resistance has no harms other than pr for nuclear waste

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

coyo7e posted:

You're somewhat conflating coal plants with the asthma epidemic in urban environments. I mean imagine growing up in the Bronx in the cities - you weren't getting asthma from coal plants, but from burning buildings and dust.

Yeah and that's not from enviromental racism, which was the point of contention.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

coyo7e posted:

I dunno, white developers conspiring to burn down buildings in minority neighborhoods so that the developers could reap huge profits by rebuilding and gentrifying entire neighborhoods, while ignoring and/or decrying the dangerous hellscape they themselves created, and its effects on those who live and work there? Sounds a lot like environmental racism to me

It's racism but it's not environmental (environment without a qualifier typically doesn't mean urban environment as in buildings).

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Shut up you pedants, nobody cares if rubber bullets technically are bullets. The average person understands "shot" to imply "shot at with a gun that kills".

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Civilized Fishbot posted:

"Shut up pedants, let me continue a thread derail about the exact connotations of the word 'shot'"

Also, as a pedant, let me note that rubber bullet guns are in fact guns that kill

ok let me amend my statement

Shut up you pedants, nobody cares if rubber bullets technically are bullets. The average person understands "shot" to imply "shot at with a gun that kills as its primary purpose (and not merely as an occasional accident)".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Oil KKKompanies are cool and good people, people.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

wateroverfire posted:

Like... if the project had plowed over the site instead of documenting the heck out of it and getting approvals for route changes to preserve the site from the appropriate regulators before proceeding then I would be a lot harder on the company. But as it actually happened, what is there to make of it other than a paperwork error?

Because oil companies are often bad, they are invariably evil even in cases where they actually weren't evil.

Seriously though, I can't believe the situation has gotten so stupid the oil company of all people are shaping up to be the good guys here.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

coyo7e posted:

On the other hand according to your own sources - the ACE pretty much immediately turned down the choice to move it near the water of white residents out of hand, and then we're now requiring the native population to be responsible for due diligence?

Does that not seem like a double standard to anyone else besides me?

how many people live in each of the two places

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

SwingShift posted:

"We're not loving you over because we hate you, we're just loving you over because we don't care about you."

or anyone else for that matter. Honestly, consistent and enforced uncaringness would probably be a good way for deciding where stuff gets built as it makes the process more difficult for special interests and NIMBY idiots to derail.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

logger posted:

How is it then that the same pipeline that is being protested against was first considered to be placed near Bismark until public outcry led to them moving the project into Sioux land?

Funny how oil is tolerated until a pipeline is placed too close to a city full of white people. When that happens the safety of the water source magically becomes a concern to the public, but when it comes to native land it's "How dare those protesters hurt our economic security."

Didn't someone upthread point out that other parts of the pipeline do, in fact, go through white people land next to white people towns across white people rivers?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

There was no public outcry in Bismarck. The Bismarck route was evaluated and rejected by the Army Corps of Engineers in favor of the route near the reservation without any public discussion. You can go read their environmental assessment for yourself to see why.

http://cdm16021.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16021coll7/id/2427

Clearly that's because the CoE pre-emptively routed the pipeline away from the oppressor in Bismarck, who would have protested swiftly and effectively had there been even a preliminary plan to route the pipeline within shouting distance of Bismarck.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

RBC posted:

Because you make no mention of their issue with the absence of consulting on land outside of the corpse's jurisdiction
"Hey please also give an extremely lengthy assessment on things you are not responsible for and have no power over, what do you mean it's a waste of time and money that will accomplish nothing?"

quote:

the corpse setting timelines that may not be realistic for a group of 9,000 peoples with no highly paid and trained government bureaucrats to aid in responding,
Apparently not a problem for several other tribes.

quote:

that they over several years, did respond to the corpse's inquiries, but those responses were simply not what the corpse wanted, and refused to engage with.
"Refused to engage with" = "buried response under other paperwork and completely ignored it" or "considered response and compromised on some but not all points"? Please give specific examples.

quote:

Furthermore, you comparing this same small group of peoples who have been historically marginalized and abused by the government with a metro area of 120,000 people with federal, state, municipal government representation and bureaucracy is absurd.
Again, apparently not a problem for several other tribes.

RBC posted:

actually it is

because this single issue trumps all other concerns and dictates how more general policy and decisionmaking should function

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

RBC posted:

Yes Colonial oppression absolutely trumps all other concerns and dictates how "more" general policy and decision making should function. See, recorded history.

Do you also believe slavery has no relevance to how the government treats black people?

No it absolutely doesn't, pragmatism does.

Also, given that you're still spending money from 1888 you must be very old and might not be the best person to ask about how black people should be treated~

You have also failed to say anything about the other points I raised.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

RBC posted:

lol okay tony blair let's pragmatically ban your account for making terrible posts

tony blair was bad because he was actually an ideologue pretending to be pragmatic, please get your insults right

silence_kit posted:

Edit: Looking at my new avatar, it's kind of sad how now any opinion in this thread which doesn't toe this thread's party line hyperbolically gets labeled as genocidal. It kind of trivializes the real genocide the native people experienced at the hands of the previous US government. I would think that posters who are passionate about this issue wouldn't talk about genocide so casually and disrespect peoples who actually have experienced genocide, but here we are.

That's because it's easy to just accuse your opponent of arbitrary bad things without thinking too hard about how accurate that accusation actually is. When you're really really really convinced you're right and the other guys are wrong (and also evil) it's appealing to argue badly in this way but it's still arguing in bad faith to blatantly support your team over the other guys irrespective of reality.

e: it warms my heart to know I, too, have outraged a posting superstar enough to buy me unimaginative redtext

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 27, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

I agree, faux-ethical hipsters who protest in the name of $arbitrary_cause are a pox upon humanity.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Fansy posted:

False. The route was originally set to cross the Missouri River just north of the 92% white city of Bismarck.

http://www.psc.nd.gov/database/documents/14-0842/001-030.pdf

The Army Corps of Engineers shot the plan down.

which still doesn't involve ~white~ NIMBYs succeeding at complaining where natives wouldn't

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I'm still surprised by people defending a bunch of fat white people who still hunger for oil despite the ever increasing demand for a clean environment. But I guess I really shouldn't. We'll all be dead of old age and heartattacks and selfishness is what will make America Great Again(tm).
This may be inconceivable to you, but it is possible to simultaneously hold the positions that 1) fossil fuels are bad and should be legislated out of their dominant position in the energy supply and 2) allowing every dumb loving heckler to shut down construction of infrastructure indefinitely is also bad, with 2) overriding 1) in this case.

Holding the position that properly approved things get built even if someone gets real mad and goes protesting after failing to make a case during the planning process, for instance, to also disregard stupid loving NIMBY objections about a nuclear power plant or solar farm going up in sight of their lovely plot of land.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 28, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Poland Spring posted:

In all my years I'll never understand why white people hate Native Americans so much. Y'all are arguing over the definition of the word "right" while people are getting amputations over access to clean water. Who gives a single flying gently caress if they didn't dot every i and cross every t on the "please don't poison our water" form 133-A? If this was a town of white people, would the posters in this thread arguing against #NODAPL be as vehement in their condemnation? I sincerely loving doubt it.

I, for one, would happily see rich white landowner NIMBYs arrested over the same poo poo. Also actively refusing to even deal with the approval process beyond making patently unrealistic and ill-defined claims is way beyond not quite dotting every i and crossing every t.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

No. They were not. Specifically, the DPL construction group hid/delayed discover of multiple sites.

[citation loving needed]

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Fansy posted:

Look at the picture on page 22.

http://www.psc.nd.gov/database/documents/14-0842/001-030.pdf

If you prefer secondary sources, you can also check out Wikipedia, ABC, or any mainstream news source reporting on the reroute. But this is their source.

I don't have a reason to make up news.

That does not count as a plan - it's literally the initial "let's make a bunch of candidate routes" stage. There wasn't a proposal to actually build the route upstream of Bismarck that was withdrawn and replaced by a proposal to build the route upstream of Standing Rock.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Fansy posted:

It's very difficult to get people to accept a well known fact in this forum.

Nobody to my knowledge is disputing that an initial route was planned north of Bismarck. It's widely reported on ABC, Wikipedia, and Dakota Access's own pdf:

blowfish posted:

That does not count as a plan - it's literally the initial "let's make a bunch of candidate routes" stage. There wasn't a proposal to actually build the route upstream of Bismarck that was withdrawn and replaced by a proposal to build the route upstream of Standing Rock.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Poland Spring posted:

Who gives a poo poo, there's people crippled for life over this and it looks very much like people are going to die in the next couple weeks, which shouldn't have happened in the first place. There's procedures in place for ensuring safety and health in both sides of a protest that are blatantly not being followed. Even if the pipeline is "legal" their defense of it is not, and serious consideration must be made about the precedents things like this will set. I don't want how they handled this to become the standard for suppression of protests, especially considering how frequent and ubiquitous protests are becoming.

:byodame: "they just didn't dot every i and cross every t, you can't hold this minor thing against them"
:v: "actually they were being completely obstinate and unreasonable"
:byodame: "nevermind then, dotting every i and crossing every t isn't important according to my newly-shifted goalposts, what really counts is that my side are the good guys"

also simultaneously holding the belief that american levels of police brutality are bad and that the protestors are dumb and wrong is possible. like ideally the police would just cordon off the camp and park a food cart at the way out, so that eventually the protestors will get hungry and leave to get to the food cart after which they get sent home/arrested/whatever, but the protest is still stupid and bad

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 28, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Poland Spring posted:

My goalpost was "who gives a poo poo about paperwork" so just keep on moving yours

It's also possible to simultaneously jerk yourself off while posting apparently

Edit:

:byodame: "I disagree with your posting!"
:v: "I am an excellent poster and am also very smart."
:byodame: "WHAT!? I DISAGREE WITH YOU AND AM NOW A RAVING LUNATIC!
:v: "Sigh, I am cool and calm about this. I am the better man."
:byodame: "NOT ME! I'M SO DUMB AND GODDAMN CRAZY!"

I can do it too

This :v: guy in your post must have an extremely high opinion of himself.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 28, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Poland Spring posted:

My goalpost was "who gives a poo poo about paperwork" so just keep on moving yours

It's also possible to simultaneously jerk yourself off while posting apparently

Also paperwork is, in fact, important because properly run regulatory agencies staffed with bureaucrats are what makes America great keeps America from regressing into Mad Max: The Country.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Poland Spring posted:

Yeah your beuracrats sure are doing a great job helping civilization along by putting Immortan Joe in charge

i'm sorry but trump is getting the job because america is full of apathetic retards (that fail to turn out to vote against a major human disaster) and idiots (that can't tie their own shoelaces and blame foreigners for their stupidity), both of whom need to be counteracted by competent bureaucrats.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Poland Spring posted:

You're right I keep forgetting all those poor bureaucrats blasted by hoses for counteracting oppressive governments back in the day, or the beuracrats providing community outreach and services to those who need it most. It was wrong of me to dismiss the power of paperwork, we all can remember the millions of brave beuracrats who have stood up to injustice by making sure it filled out the proper forms before doing what it was going to do anyway.

While bureaucrats are not the sole prerequisite for civilised society to function, they are a necessary prerequisite without which it can't function.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Uglycat posted:

This is a straw man. Come to camp and listen.

It's 2016, the internet exists, if your side can't articulate their position clearly enough to make an argument without physically dragging people to their camp then frankly they suck.

Uglycat posted:

It isn't the Standing Rock Sioux (alone) that are protesting. Rather, the Standing Rock Sioux rolled over on this, and then ALL THE NATIONS OF TURTLE ISLAND decided they give a poo poo. A bunch of teens ran through Omaha, to Standing Rock, and then to DC (on *foot*) to sound the alarm. The Oceti Sakowin - the Seven Council Fires - set up on the land I'm living on. The Youth Council was gifted an Eagle Feather and a Sacred Chanupa. Three Hundred different Nations showed up - and their flags all fly at camp. People from around the world started showing up. Rainbow came - a bond was formed in 2015, when they camped in the Black Hills. Occupy came. Sacred Ground - the land on HWY 1806 under which the pipe had to be laid - became occupied. Burners showed up. Anons showed up. Lots of other groups too. There was an IF Iranian flag flying when I arrived. There are two Palestinian flags. 'Two Spirited' showed up. Extreme outdoorspersons. All sorts of people - Stakeholders, *TRULY*, in the fate of the Missouri, Mississippi, and Turtle Island - came to demo tech or help or (in some cases) do penance. Red Warrior, which I gather is a youth camp in Canada somewhere that Native folk can go to for a sort of 'boot camp' training (in their warrior culture), took charge of camp security.
So what you're saying is it's 100% a bunch of randoms getting outraged over a convenient issue, rather than people who are actually affected by the pipeline or have experience with local conditions, without anyone qualified to actually point out twhat the issue is supposed to be to people outside the camp.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Stickarts posted:

From known protestor-shill rag the Smithsonian, a little much-needed historical context:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ulysses-grant-launched-illegal-war-plains-indians-180960787/

This is all well and good terrible and bad, but with the American claim on the Black Hills literally set in stone, the Black Hills are never going back to the Lakota as a practical matter.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

emdash posted:

D&D has consistently, for years, had this problem where some posters are only interested in what is legal (or at least rely on that when it's convenient for them) and others are interested in what is ethical from a given perspective. This thread reads exactly like every thread about cops shooting black people; actions being taken against the oppressed group may be legal, or at least un-prosecutable, but that doesn't make them right. (Unsurprisingly, the usual suspects are here to plead the oppressors' case.) C'mon, people. If everyone just acted in compliance with law all the time, no progress would ever be made.

The protestors aren't just wrong legally but also morally.

Yeah and? This is the same point debated previously, but now in Huffpo shitpost form rather than D&D shitpost form.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

You realize this is a pretty poor example because of the number of cases where its become apparently that Prosecutors and Police regularly coerce admissions of guilt through unjust means in order to meet quotas and give the artificial feel of justice being done through quota rather than actual justice being meted out.

Seriously, that's a terrible example, especially considering how increasingly apparent it has become that our justice system is essentially broken. What are you, Judge Dredd?
So... the response to the justice system being abused is to do away with the justice system.[/quote]

quote:

Because the point of highlighting the treaty was to demonstrate:
1. That, yes, the land likely IS the Natives
2. We have a legacy of SCREWING the natives
3. That we implement a legal system that regularly ALSO screws the natives even when it sides with them, so why should we pretend that the court ruling even vaguely recognize the larger issues with that land?
4. Pretending that the law is always just and right even when it has a legacy of not being so kind of highlights a bigger issue: That the Justice System is broken and perverted in favor of for profits. This is beyond arguing about, its been demonstrated time and again.

Or, and I'm not sure this possibility has occured to you, one can have the view that the protestors are simply wrong.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Please elaborate.

NIMBYs are bad.

Infrastructure is good.

NIMBYs who become super obstinate after failing to make a serious case during the planning process are super bad. Even when the infrastructure in this particular case is not useful.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

a million dead pigeons on the pavement next to trump tower don't matter

a hundred thousand dead endangered woodpeckers on a hill matter

for that matter a hundred miles of coastline or river catchment matter i wonder how many bad arguments about pipelines going over rivers this last one will provoke

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Poland Spring posted:

poo poo we better alert the bureaucrat bureau so they can swoop in and save those poor birds so they can die from exhaust fumes

As always, the answer lies in the power of the mighty atom.

Jarmak posted:

This is either a tremendous display of illiteracy or a tremendous display of bad faith argumentation, that is not remotely what I said.

Also if the hill you want to die on is that this is all unjust because the 1968 Treaty was illegitimate because it was coerced then yes there is our disagreement, because that's dumb as hell. Seriously you think any land ceding treaty from the 19th century is invalid if it involved coercion, or gently caress I'll even say straight out conquest? Did you even think for one second the implications of that stance beyond getting your way on this issue?

Return Poland to Russia please, shitlord.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Drumpf is bad, fossil fuels are bad, in this instance the protestors have worked hard to make big oil look like the good guys. [/thread]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Poland Spring posted:

They're gonna respond with something callous

But enough about your skin :v:

Doc Hawkins posted:

I just want them to explain where they think the IEEFA went wrong in their analysis.

For those who haven't seen it yet and aren't motivated to ignore its mention, it sets out why, even separate from any position on pipelines in general, this particular one is a scam and already on the verge of failure. If you'd prefer an extreme summary to reading a dozen pages: oil prices are half what they were when it was planned.

Big Oil making a dumb expensive mistake that will make Big Oil less profitable? I won't stand in their way.

• Locked thread