Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Who are the bigger assholes? The natives who have a history of being literally genocided by the white government's lust for profits, or an oil company, who is helping destroy the earth by pushing more and more carbon into the atmosphere?

According to goons, it's the protesters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

blowfish posted:

Just because natives are protesting something doesn't mean it's necessarily an issue of natives vs colonialists, especially if the land is outside the last treaty the natives themselves considered to be a victory. Also, you are making the mistake of 1) focusing on a single issue and 2) thinking that just because one side are usually the bigger assholes that means they are automatically wrong on every single issue

do you realize that a treaty that is signed under duress and physical threat of annihilation is not really a binding treaty or are you ignoring that

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

it probably means that they realized that they only had a very narrow opportunity where they had the upper hand before the white man decided to start loving them again

such as less than 10 years later

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Were you one of the few posters who was there? If not, I don't know if 'we' did it is correct.

Regardless, I'm happy it's.. delayed at least?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Personally, looking st all the historical evidence of the government and US citizens being loving awful to the natives and seeing how oppressed and poverty stricken they are today, I have come to a judgement call. Instead of delaying my giant oil pipeline that will help make me even more rich, I figured we could go ahead and sic attack dogs and water cannons on the protestors. Remember that if you give even one inkling of leniency where the law is concerned, the world is anarchy.

Like even if they are protesting unlawfully, which is true... I'd think it's at least morally permissible and we should chill out. The oils not gonna disappear if the pipeline waits a little while.

I'm not sure how this is a loving contentious opinion but here we are in D&D

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The loving treaty you guys keep talking about as sacrosanct was betrayed less than a decade later by the US Government.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Was dead reckoning one of the people who argued earlier in the thread that a journalist being 'shot' implied that it was with real bullets but now he is saying that this privately owned oil pipeline that is for profit is 'infrastructure' because it facilitates movement of oil, I guess?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Like, yes, I agree that shot usually connotates with real bullets as opposed to rubber bullets.

I also believe that most people understand the word infrastructure to mean public works that help more than a small group of billionaires.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

If we just had a second trail of tears out into the ocean we could solve this whole issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

They probably realize people gonna die and don't want that to happen. Plus with pres trump the pipeline is 100% gonna happen.

• Locked thread