Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The Justice Department directive only stops construction once the pipeline reaches the lake. It doesn't actually stop the private company from building up to that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Why are we all treating a guy who just said there's an ethical obligation to murder protesters as though he has or will ever have anything worthwhile to say? For that matter, why are we treating the people who just glanced right over that and considered it a normal thing to say as if they've got anything worth listening to?

quote:

edit: If you're absolutely committed to sitting down in the path of a moving bulldozer, the operator is almost obligated to run you over or your gesture is for nothing.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's interesting to ponder why exactly people insist that justice is irrelevant to this case, such that they can say that blockading the construction of a school is as equally justified as the water protectors are. Well, I mean, the guy who made that particular comparison is an openly racist shitbag, and many other people have no conception of right or wrong, just legal or illegal and customary or uncustomary.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Arguing on the basis that legal definitions ought to be the primary ones, and all others be clearly marked, is nothing more or less than an attempt to spread law school-inflicted brain damage universally, up with which I will not put.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
From the perspective that protest is a means of influencing the actions of others in a democratic society, the question becomes one of whether the protesters are right or wrong, an environment where motherfuckers like Gobblewhatever and blowjob will be vociferously racist. So I guess we've figured out why this is a sticking point for twodot.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

wateroverfire posted:

:circlefap: about the end of industrial society if you want, I guess, but a moral realm that doesn't itneract with reality isn't relevant to much.

To judge by your posts, your idea of morality is built entirely of universal, inflexible rules with no contingent factors involved. Thus, having demonstrated you are a nitwit, your opinions on this subject would seem to be worthless.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gobbeldygook posted:

Maybe you should read the post I was responding to

I am not attacking a strawman. Uglycat literally is bemoaning the tragedy that the Lakota are not still hunter-gatherers who follow the buffalo and live off the land without cars, antibiotics, and vaccines.

That's an interesting interpretation of that post.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's interesting to note that the idea of negotiating is completely foregone in the minds of Jarmak, blowjob, etc. The Lakota must stand aside or be ground into hamburger by cops and DAPL bulldozers. We must follow proper procedure, and if that procedure leads to us massacring elderly people in the name of oil, so much the better.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

silence_kit posted:

NIMBYs are terrible no matter who they are. Probably the backlash in this thread would be stronger if they weren't Native Americans. People who oppose development and infrastructure under the guise of environmentalism but really to protect their property values are really terrible people. 'California Liberals'

Thank you for admitting you have no soul.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jarmak posted:

No, uhh, that's not what that document shows at all.

That wasn't grudging acceptance it was more like "well I can see how you could misunderstand this if you've never in your entire life read a project proposal, you're still wrong but I believe you weren't purposely trying to lie"

drat, you're a lawyer, cop, and civil/enviromental engineer. You got a doctorate in forestry too?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Also paperwork is, in fact, important because properly run regulatory agencies staffed with bureaucrats are what makes America great keeps America from regressing into Mad Max: The Country.

Stop being such a caricature of a German.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

i'm sorry but trump is getting the job because america is full of apathetic retards (that fail to turn out to vote against a major human disaster) and idiots (that can't tie their own shoelaces and blame foreigners for their stupidity), both of whom need to be counteracted by competent bureaucrats.

Ah, so should Mutti suspend elections, then? Or are Germans inherently superior to other peoples?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

botany posted:

No, but we do have a better electoral system than you.

That's a direct contradiction of blowfish's argument that Germany is superior because its democratic institutions are a fraud and all power rests in an oligarchic bureaucracy. I suppose I can't blame you for refusing to read his posts.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

botany posted:

I never said I agree with blowfish :confused:

Well, uh, I don't know why you made the post you did, then.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Reckoning posted:

Also, :lol: at the bolded part

Burning Man participants, Anon, and the apparently mandatory Palestinian solidarity protesters are not legitimate stakeholders in a Dakota construction project.

Good, I hope they get run over by bulldozers and shot by the National Guard for having the temerity to express solidarity where a pig cop can hear them.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The huge unquestioned assumption that the Dakota Access Pipeline is necessary and without it we will revert to the Bronze Age or whatever is fascinating to see, if only to consider how many people its proponents would be willing to kill to ensure the construction of an oil refinery.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

coyo7e posted:

We've covered that. And the response was "infrastructure is good. Even when it doesn't do anything good."

No, I mean that I'm tickled by people like Jarmak essentially arguing for blood sacrifices to keep the oil flowing. We may be witnessing the birth of a new religion.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Infrastructure is good overall, despite occasional exceptions. If you dispute this, you should imagine your life without clean water, electricity, hospitals, roads/public transport, phones, the internet, and overnight shipping before feeling ashamed and admitting to yourself you're a dumbass.

Infrastructure is usually very big and tends to piss people off because their backyards get bulldozed to make space for it.

If everyone who gets pissed off over infrastructure construction and sits their rear end down in their backyard over it gets to stop infrastructure construction, then barely any infrastructure will ever get built.

Consequently, the notion that people who sit their rear end down in their backyard (or, even worse, in someone else's backyard) to stop infrastructure should expect not to be removed is bad and wrong.

If you are pissed off over the occasional exceptions of bad infrastructure, go write to your congresscritter or protest in front of your legislature over bad laws, or get yourself arrested over and over again while sitting yourself down on bad infrastructure construction sites in an act of civil disobedience. You still don't get to expect to sit your rear end down on the construction site unmolested unless you convince the rest of society to change the law.

I see you're in favor of "slum clearances".

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Laminar posted:

This. Most EA's have a specific section meant for the public to read. I think it is very important for the public to get involved, read the summary, and submit comments. The Canadian CEAA process was frankly a little messed up under Harper, but it has made some great strides overall at getting the public involved, however it is still a huge issue.

With most of the EA's I'm involved with, we write a 10 or so page popular summary at the start of the document, and I find that helps. The issue is they are super tricky to write, as you are summarizing a truly massive amount of data.

The style of EA that the DA pipeline follows is archaic as hell, but I'm assuming that is the fault of the US Corp of Engineers when they specified the format.

Do you agree with blowfish's assertion that the opinions of people affected by construction projects should never be considered?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Nice strawman.

That is exactly what you have been saying. That only expert opinions should be considered.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's cool how racist the defenders of oil are.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DeusExMachinima posted:

Oh poo poo now our secret is out. You guys are going to win so many elections with this strategy, gently caress.

No, we don't have to let you murder American Indians to win elections.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Leavy posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with all of you Defenders of the Pipeline, seriously? There isn't a single issue that has caused this protest to gain the attention it has, it's a culmination of many things, much like Occupy was (granted much narrower in scope with an actual central physical "thing" to protest). I did not expect to see so much backlash toward the protesters in this thread when I opened it, and I truly can't understand the motives of some of you to continue trying to hammer away the legalities of the protesters, the who and what tribe claims this and doesn't have that, and "environmentally friendly" aspects of loving oil.

Just the fact that the US government is taking its time to poo poo on natives yet again, standing atop its mountain of legal loopholes and outright changes against the tribes, should be enough reason to be for these guys instead of laying down all these reasons why this isn't such of a big deal and we can just point fingers at how wrong and dumb the protesters are.

Maybe my bleeding heart has caused too much blood loss and I'm not seeing poo poo straight, but right now it's just insane what I'm reading. I except goons to be generally centrist, but holy moly that's not how a lot of you are coming off.

Well, again, you have a guy justifying genocide and ethnic cleansing on the grounds that the victims were savages, so it's obvious this is largely about hatred. Hatred of American Indians, hatred of democracy, hatred of protests.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gobbeldygook posted:

Wow, CommieGIR claiming that two things that are very similar are actually very different without explaining why. Never seen that in this thread! You ever going to explain to the class why the Sioux's claim on land that isn't theirs is legitimate but China's claims on Taiwan, Tibet, India, Vietnam, and Uyghuristan are not?

Huh, so what genocides are morally acceptable?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gobbeldygook posted:

Why do you beat your wife?

But you are saying that the Sioux have no claim to land they were ethnically cleansed and genocided off of. So clearly that genocide was morally acceptable, since there is no need for restorative justice.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gobbeldygook posted:

Do you even read the thread or are you just glancing at it occassionally while shitposting? No, they were not ethnically cleaned off of it. They had the land in 1851 by treaty. Hooray for them! Then in 1868 they decided they didn't really want it and negotiated it away in exchange for Other Stuff. Hooray for them! It's not theirs anymore.

Just because (group) was larger and covered more territory than they do now does not entitle them to hand outs. Or do you think Italy is entitled to some "restorative justice" because at one point in the past there were more people who called themselves Romans spread out across a larger territory than there are today?

Those treaties were signed as a consequence of deliberately genocidal campaigns to steal the land of the Sioux people. Insisting that because they are law that they are right does, in fact, tell me when genocide is acceptable to you- when you write down that it is and call it a law.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Reckoning posted:

Since the terms of the 1868 treaty were largely dictated by the Sioux, does that mean they were genociding themselves on purpose, or..?

Why was the US government making war on the Sioux in the first place?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's also funny to ignore the genocidal policies of the Dawes Act, termination, and deliberate malnutrition by Indian agents and focus solely on a single treaty. Almost as if the goal was to insist that genocide was good so as to clear the way for the final solution to the Native American question.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I like the level of historical knowledge on display where Taiwan was ethnically Han until the so-called indigenous Taiwanese invaded.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gobbeldygook posted:

Let's recall what you said to me earlier in the thread.

They won, therefore they were right. So might makes right when it suits you.

You have access to Wikipedia too! You know what's really interesting? How utterly worthless every single post you've made in this thread has been.

Drive by claim that no-one should listen to a particular poster.

Interesting, drives by to accuse me of being an "openly racist shitbag"

Another post just driving by to accuse me of being racist.

Interesting post that contributes nothing to the discussion.

Interesting post that contributes nothing and ascribes bad faith to your opponents.

Boy, everyone who is against you is a racist!

Everyone who doesn't agree with you is pro-genocide.

Could you please just gently caress off?

This is an extremely embarrassing post to make my man.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm not really following your logic here. So the Sioux were in a position dictate terms, but decided to ask for what the white man would want to give them, because they knew no matter what they did that the white man would declare war on them again? Aside from being totally ahistorical (seriously, provide any evidence whatsoever that this was the Sioux train of thought) it makes no sense whatsoever. If they knew they were going to fight again, they would want to seize as much territory as they could in the interim.

Nice argument that the Sioux were all loving morons.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Please point out where the law is unjust in the case of the DAPL.

Probably the part where it allows paramilitary gangs to be deployed to maim and kill peaceful protesters, gives them license to lie freely, etc.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I really enjoy the people desperate for Big Daddy Trump to come in and save their precious pipeline.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jarmak posted:

This is a complete and utter lie, a lie you've repeated for the nth time, because you are completely unwilling and unable to make an arguement for what is actually unjust.

You tried to pull some bullshit about the 1968 treaty being at the barrel of a gun the first time I called you on this but when this was pointed out to be a complete bullshit ahistorcal arguement you just went back to lying about his argument being "legal=just"

No one has made this arguement, no matter how many times you and other posters lie about it being the argument so you can avoid making one yourself.

"1968 treaty" is a weird mistake to make twice.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Emphasis on strict borders is often a way to implement environmental racism. Who cares if the mercury is seeping into the groundwater, I'm dumping on my own land, you commie!!!

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gobbeldygook posted:

I never said that, stop putting words in my mouth and please stop beating your wife. Do you support the government using eminent domain to confiscate all of the land that ever belonged to the Lakota from the mostly private owners and transferring control to the Lakota?

Why would that be necessary? Turn it over to Lakotah governments and let them decide what to do with it.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Reckoning posted:

By the same token, you can't argue that using eminent domain to seize land for an infrastructure project is bad because it displaces the rightful owners, while simultaneously arguing that expropriating the property rights of everyone in former Indian territory to return it to the Sioux would be a good thing.

That is a distinction without a difference.

What? Why would people automatically get eminent domained in such an event? Is it because the Lakotah are racist against whites? Or is it because you don't understand how such things have worked in the past?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gobbeldygook posted:

...Because that's what you're proposing? There is no daylight between "We are confiscating your land and giving it to the Lakota" and "We are turning over control of your land to the Lakota".

No it's not. There's nothing to imply that unless you believe American Indians are more or less evil. I'm starting to get the feeling you live close to a rez, your opinions are very Gallup white guy.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Reckoning posted:

An ownership right is by definition the right to exclude. If the tribal government is never going to interfere in the current owners' right to occupy their property or pass it on by intestate succession or sell their land to any party as they saw fit, how exactly would the tribes be exercising their newfound property right? Would they be extracting rents or taxes from the owners, at whatever rates they chose? If your assertion that nothing would change for the owners is correct, then the tribe by definition cannot extract any benefit from the change in sovereignty from state to reservation. If this is the case, why is this so important to do?

So the US government has to use eminent domain every so often to keep its right to property? What a weird notion.

Anyways, I don't see why extracting taxes is some sort of gotcha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gobbeldygook posted:

Same goes for you, fuckboy. It's hard to have a discussion when one side refuses to take any position besides "white man bad". What exactly do you want to be done with the western half of South Dakota and the people who live and own property there? Will the people of Rapid City now live under Standing Rock Sioux tribal law where the maximum punishment for rape and murder is one year in jail and/or a $5,000 fine?

Thanks for contributing more racism to the thread.

• Locked thread