Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dead Reckoning posted:

Tell you what, I'll settle for any affirmative argument at all why the protesters should be allowed to obstruct the pipeline.

So idk how much Tribal news you read, from what I've seen in the various bands' media outlets the issue is very much conflated between sovreignty, environmentalism, and anti-establishmentarianism. I can go grab a few publications tomorrow and re-post their articles her --- in my experience, tribes' various publications are not the most tech savvy operations. At most, you'll find a .pdf scan of the monthly all-enrolled mailer on a website for the band.

I think the tribes of this region have great potential, however they choose to engage in racial politics over institutional development which hinders achievement of desired outcomes. I fail to see how the tribes of the upper midwest will escape the concentration of poverty so long as family and kin bonds are the predominant unit of social organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

^ it wasn't particularly unexpected sadly :smith:

He's also cutting at least $500 million in federal assistance to tribes.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

KiteAuraan posted:

So this pretty much confirms that the radical American Indian Movement is going to come back right? Because that, and cutting aid and ignoring them in every other way is pretty much historically proven to always result in Native people resisting the government in hardcore ways.

In the eyes of the legislative majorities of Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota, the radical American Indian movements have always been there, just waiting to take advantage of government.

• Locked thread