Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Jack Gladney posted:

Is this facebook checkin thing something that will actually help? I don't want to bandwagon on something that will cause damage or gently caress up the public discussion.
It seems to me that protestors not checking in is a way better strategy than attempting to obfuscate the people that the police can observe checking in, even if you've got a successful obfuscation method.
edit:
The legal situation appears to be highly complex with many specific details. For instance, the September period mentioned above appears to be regarding specifically soil testing to determine what manner of construction is possible, and not any actual construction. (Also, regarding that, the Corps did attend two meetings with the tribe, but wasn't able to discuss anything because the first meeting ended early and the second wasn't attended by Young)
edit2:
Things look pretty bad for Standing Rock:

quote:

Standing Rock took a different tack. The Tribe declined to participate in the surveys because of their limited scope. See Chieply Decl., ¶ 29. Instead, it urged the Corps to redefine the area of potential effect to include the entire pipeline and asserted that it would send no experts to help identify cultural resources until this occurred. Id. In a responsive email, the Corps expressed its regret that the Tribe would not participate and welcomed any knowledge or information regarding historic properties that it was still willing to provide.

twodot fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

mitztronic posted:

Seems pretty cut and dry to most reasonable people: this is wrong.
You think it's wrong that someone wanted to drill "seven holes of four inch diameter with an estimated 10 feet of impact on areas around the holes"? That's the issue Nocts' post is about in September 2014, and why the legal situation is quite complex. It covers a large number of actions by various government offices in various jurisdictions, the actual construction company, private land owners, and multiple tribes.

quote:

I don't give a poo poo if they avoided a survey, the onus isn't on them to prove that their land shouldn't be wrecked by large oil corporations. Native Americans already have almost no land, and you don't have to go too far back into our history to remember why.
In a motion for a preliminary injunction, the thing that was posted, and I quoted, the onus is very specifically on them.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Even worse, looking at that map: Why is the pipeline crossing the river. Twice, when it looks like it could have easily been routed around those cities to get to that exact location without crossing the river?
This is almost certainly just a factor of what land was available to be purchased. The company would definitely prefer to avoid water crossings since that reduces the permits they need even if they don't give a poo poo about ecology. Something like 97% of the pipeline is built on privately held land, it's not like the company just owns all of North Dakota and draw pipelines wherever they like.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

That's not what I implied either.
I don't understand how you could believe "it looks like it could have easily been routed around those cities to get to that exact location without crossing the river", unless you think they had arbitrary access to land around those cities.

Dead Reckoning posted:

That's a DC district court judgement, so I think it is reasonable to assume that it is an accurate statement of the relevant law, and the relevant facts as they were presented to the court.
I think it's worth noting that the judgement itself mentioned that they got relatively few documents from Stone Rock and a lot of the judgement is relying on affidavits from the Corps. (Not that I think anyone is lying, just that the relevant facts as they were presented to the court probably doesn't include all the relevant facts)

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Civilized Fishbot posted:

But seriously: the fact that attorneys are pursuing a motion in court doesn't indicate anything about how easy it would be for them to sue a rich firm.
Doesn't this directly indicate that? I agree they have an uphill battle to fight, but they've plainly demonstrated both an understanding that protective laws exist, and that they have access to legal representation.

quote:

Yeah, it has.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/09/dapl-dakota-sitting-rock-sioux/499178/

"“This is one of the most significant archeological finds in North Dakota in many years,” said Tim Mentz, a Standing Rock Sioux member and a longtime Native archeologist in the Great Plains. “[Dakota Access Pipeline] consultants would have had to literally walk directly over some of these features. However, reviewing DAPL’s survey work, it appears that they did not independently survey this area but relied on a 1985 survey.”

These newly discovered finds may no longer exist. The tribe and its legal team say that less than 24 hours after evidence of the new sacred sites were provided to the court, the Dakota Access company began construction on those same exact sites, perhaps destroying many of them forever. "
Here's Dakota Access's response to Mentz's report:

quote:

Dakota Access, not surprisingly, hotly contested Mentz’s version of events in its opposition to the TRO motion. In a map of the area, the company sought to demonstrate that many of the sites documented by Mentz were in fact well outside the pipeline route. See ECF No. 34 (Response to TRO) at 6-8. The rest, according to Dakota Access, were directly over the existing Northern Border Natural Gas Pipeline that runs through the area and thus could not have been historic artifacts. Id. at 6. The company instead alleges that the route of the pipeline in this area proves its point: it twists and turns to avoid the finds that Mentz documented adjacent to the pipeline and thus demonstrates that Dakota Access did purposefully shift the route to avoid any sites of cultural significance in its planning phase. Id. The Court acknowledges that the map provided by the company does seem to indicate that the pipeline curves to accommodate the cultural sites.
Like I understand that people are making allegations, but I think substantiation requires something more than interested parties making claims.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Yes, which is why we need a more-or-less impartial third party (the government seems like the best option) to carry out that substantiation. And, given the obvious risks of proceeding if the tribe is correct, pipeline construction should cease until that substantiation has been carried out.
I agree with the first part, but the government has already made a ruling, and it ruled in favor of Dakota Access. It seems awkward to acknowledge that the government is the relevant authority here and then act as though it hasn't already made a decision. (edit: It's also awkward that you claimed to Dead Reckoning that this had been substantiated, but you are agreeing with me that it hasn't, and also that you think the government should be responsible for substantiating the claim you posted, but the judicial system has already disagreed with the claim you posted.)

quote:

Although consider this: what motive does the tribe have to lie about this? Do you think they're working incredibly hard, even to the point of lying about important archaeological sites, just to protect land they really don't care about at all?
Huh? I would assume there is broad agreement the tribe doesn't want the pipeline where it is. The fact that they don't want the pipeline where it is, is itself motive to lie. And it's not even necessary to think they are lying, the construction of the pipeline is strictly negative for them, Mentz could have just failed to do due diligence when charting his findings, because there's no downside to Mentz being wrong when they say the pipeline is on top of important archaeological sites. (There's also minimal downside to Dakota Access's lawyers being wrong, though I suppose individual surveyors might be held responsible as a professional matter)

twodot fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 3, 2016

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Okay, but why not? If they'll always be able to sue for any damages, and there's no risk of construction destroying artifacts, why should they care?
A number of people have put forward a number of arguments, I doubt there is a hivemind consensus on why in particular the pipeline is bad.

quote:

You clearly disagree with the Standing Rock on whether or not they have any cause to protest the pipeline. Do you know better than the Standing Rock about how this pipeline will affect their lives and sacred sites, or are the Standing Rock fighting - and suffering literal violence in the process - to prevent a pipeline that they actually wouldn't mind at all?
"Cause to protest" is a weird concept. I don't think they have any legal cause to prevent the pipeline being built. I typically regard protest as a thing you do after attempts to work with the system has failed. I can't really conceive of a scenario where protesting would be preferable to working in the system, if you thought working in the system would succeed (presuming your goal is to actually succeed). I don't know better than the Standing Rock how this pipeline will affect their sacred sites, I haven't surveyed poo poo, but the government, so far, doesn't think the Standing Rock has cause to stop the pipeline from being built, regardless of how passionately they feel about it, so I'm going with the neutral third party that we've already agreed is the party that should be responsible for resolving this dispute.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Has the government independently worked to verify the arguments made over the sacred sites, or just examined the legal arguments made by both parties? So far I see the government siding with the pipeline in a he-said she-said; I think it's fine to say that the government should do the work of actually carry out an independent fact-checking operation.
Is this not what the Corps already did to the extent that the government has any responsibility at all?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

My understanding is that the Corps just contacted the tribes to try to accomplish this goal, the Standing Rock didn't respond back, and they assumed that was the end of it.
You're understanding is mistaken, most of the judgement talks about contact, since that's what the dispute is about, but they also had independent surveys:

quote:

As a first cut, the Corps reviewed extensive existing cultural surveys both within and outside the Lake Oahe project area to determine whether the work might affect cultural resources.
[...]
Around the time of this meeting, the Corps also independently looked through these cultural surveys and other route maps to determine whether any additional DAPL crossings might have the potential to affect historic properties.
[...]
Perhaps most significantly, Morgan met with the Corps to express specific concerns about tribal burial sites at the James River crossing (PCN # 4). See Harnois Decl., ¶ 24. Based on the information she provided, the Corps verified the presence of cultural resources at the site and successfully instructed Dakota Access to move the pipeline alignment to avoid them.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

What if we agree that the Standing Rock should be able to decide whether pipelines are built or not built on land so long as:

A. It was seized from them during genocide
B. Nobody lives on it
C. They actively express interest in deciding whether pipelines should be built on it

So we don't have to worry about Denver or Bismarck or any other town where people live. Do you have any concerns with this policy? It seems to me like very literally the least that could be given to them - and, incidentally, all that they're asking for.
I'm not necessarily opposed to this strategy, but I can't understand why you can't simply draw the borders of this strategy, if you think it is a coherent way to categorize land. Do "they" have unlimited rights to change where they actively express interest in? If so, I don't see how this removes worry about Denver or Bismarck.

twodot fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 4, 2016

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

just lol at the idea that we can't respect the rights of native americans or they will take over denver

the mental gymnastics, it's amazing

edit. my apologies if you're being ironic it's hard to tell
I'm not being ironic, I just want people who want to grant land rights to people to explain the extent of the land that they want those rights to extend to. We can't even begin the conversation until we know what is being proposed.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

as you've so cleverly illustrated by bringing up such shockers as "if we grant them these land rights, what's to stop them from taking denver"

really, glad we have someone like you asking the hard questions
I'm not the one who brought up Denver, I was replying to a person who claimed they had a strategy that precluded worrying about Denver, but wasn't able to actually draw borders that precluded Denver.
Please draw these borders on a map. I don't know how to measure "They actively express interest in deciding whether pipelines should be built on it".
edit:
Oh you provided actual content. There are areas of Denver that no one lives on.

quote:

I don't know what the geographical layout of these territories would look like
How in the gently caress can you think this is a good idea if you don't actually know the territory your idea applies to?

twodot fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 4, 2016

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

I mean the person who provided the strategy I've been talking about has explicitly said they themselves don't know how to define the region they are talking about, so I'm unclear what's unreasonable about that.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

For example: some parts of Denver are occupied, which means that the Standing Rock can't have those. Other parts, the Standing Rock have never expressed any interest in, so they won't have those either.
I have no idea how you could go about falsifying the idea that Standing Rock (the community, the individuals that make up that community, the leadership?) has never expressed any interest in Denver. Nor have you been explicit about whether your rules permit Standing Rock to express interest in Denver having learned that expression of interest is sufficient to gain land rights. You need to understand what your proposal actually is before you can think it is good or not.

NewForumSoftware posted:

I've lived in Denver and I'll save you some time, he's full of poo poo.
So you're stance is now that Denver doesn't have any businesses? Like I don't want to be arguing over such trivialities, but the rules supplied are so dumb that it can't be avoided. Just draw an actual map of what you want.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

Old unincorporated denver, where the bears and elk run wild. Some of the greatest hiking west of the mississippi, come on down to the gold mine and grab some souvenirs for the kids!

Uhh no my stance is that Denver has no "unpopulated areas" feel free to look at a map if you want to check. Or you know, live there for five years like I did.
The rules given were "Nobody lives on it", don't put quote marks around things that aren't quotes. There are areas of Denver that nobody lives on, that's just a fact.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

Enlighten us with an example oh wisdomful one
Ignoring the fact that I already gave you an entire category of an example, nobody lives here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_State_Capitol

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

Ironically enough being one of the most popular places for the homeless to sleep. So actually you're wrong in this case. Really the suncor plant or the airport would be better bet if you want to double down on your autism.

No see guys if we let them not build this pipeline what's to stop the Sioux from claiming the Suncor plant in Denver as their own? Really makes you think
:goonsay:
Ignoring the question of whether people sleep in the actual building, I still think it's reasonable to distinguish between temporary sleeping arrangements and where people live. People typically don't live in hotels either.

Someone proposed a system of rules rather than just defining the borders of what they want. If their system of rules allows the Sioux to claim the Suncor plant in Denver, me observing that fact isn't my fault. Especially considering that the person who proposed the system of rules is the one who falsely claimed that all of Denver was somehow exempt from their rules, even though they maintain they can't actually draw the borders of where their rules apply. If rules have absurd outcomes, then it's the rules (or their author) who is at fault.
edit:

NewForumSoftware posted:

Man it's just amazing how much some people will flail to avoid just posting "you know what, that is kind of silly, maybe we shouldn't waste pages on this dumb idea that popped into my head"
I feel like this is opposite post. The rules provided are dumb, we shouldn't be talking about them. Anyone who wants to grant land rights to people should just be able to define who gets them and where they extend to.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Well, I think we're getting to an issue here, which is that I privately believe that justice demands the Standing Rock should be able to hold a lot of land in Denver. But I'm not working to convince you of that, I'm working to convince you that the Standing Rock should be able to control whether a pipeline is built in this very small part of land. So let's add a fourth rule:

A. It was seized from them during genocide
B. Nobody lives on it
C. They actively express interest in deciding whether pipelines should be built on it
D. The land lays at most 15 miles from the current borders of the Standing Rock Reservation as it exists today in 2016.

Are you fine with these rules? Do they strike you as a reasonable compromise between restoring the impact of genocidal land theft and allowing modern-day occupiers of that land to live their lives uninterrupted?
I would oppose those rules personally. If I thought Standing Rock had some claim on the land 15 miles from its current borders, I would argue the government should pay them the current market value of that land, but it shouldn't forcibly take rights to privately held land just to compensate Standing Rock. I also don't understand how you came to the figure 15 miles, and whether you would argue the same figure were their borders bigger or smaller than they are today.

NewForumSoftware posted:

alright maybe you're just a bot programmed to post autistically, either way not wasting any more time trying to explain to you why "but then they could take Denver!?!?!" is such a dumb thing for you to be posting about. have fun making a fool of yourself
The timing of this post is pretty hilarious.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

15 miles is an arbitrary figure I chose to include the disputed pipeline land while leaving out anything else of note.
I mean I assumed as much, but acknowledging this fact just gives me even less reason to think these rules are reasonable. (edit2: Like your previous set of rules could at least be justified as being based on some independent principles, the new set of rules is directly "I just think they should be allowed to block the pipeline, here are a set of rules engineered to allow them to block the pipeline")

quote:

As for the government paying them current market value: don't you think genocide victims should have the right to dictate the manner in which they're paid reparations?
No this leads to absurd outcomes. I realize you're a fan of writing down rules that lead to absurd outcomes, but you've got to realize there exist reparation methods that are unacceptable, even if you think the cause is just.

quote:

The land has spiritual and sentimental value due to both elements of the Standing Rock faith and the fact that it was stolen from them in genocide; its absence from their administration is gaping wound. The government doesn't have to seize that land to return it; it can just buy it back from its private owners.
If the government is capable of buying the land, then so too is Standing Rock capable of buying the land with whatever money the government gave them.

rudatron posted:

Isn't there's a compelling strategic & economic interest in something like a pipeline? Even if you grant native ownership, won't that just mean it gets eminent-domained? Though considering the impacts of something like a pipeline, you may have to compensate at an above market rate, for possible long term damage. I'm not sure what a reasonable dollar figure would be, per hectare.
I think we're imagining a scenario where they had some right to oppose eminent domain. (edit: maybe not?)

twodot fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 4, 2016

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

I don't know about the original poster, but you and I will have to disagree on this being a reasonable interpretation.

If I opened fire on the police with rubber bullets they'd be in the right to open fire with live ammo because they were under fire. The investigation after the fact wouldn't suddenly penalize the cops because I didn't fire metal bullets. The act by and of itself would be sufficient.
How is this related? Sure if you were shooting rubber bullets, the police would have a reasonable fear for their lives. If someone later reported you shot a bunch of police I would call them dishonest. Lots of things "shoot" stuff: staple guns, pitching machines, whatever, if, in the context of a police interaction, someone reports that a person was shot with no other information, I expect it to be with a firearm and normal ammunition. I'm not going to pause and ask "Oh, what if they meant with a paintball?"

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

A paintball would be a different thing entirely. Rubber bullets are, like tasers, a less lethal option than normal firearms. Not a nonlethal option. So the point here is that potenilly lethal force was used on a reporter, either intentionally by an officer, or just because she was in the area and they didn't care what was beyond their target.
Sure, but the words used wasn't "potentially lethal force" it was "shoot". I would also say it's dishonest to describing using a taser as shooting without more context. When people say "the police shoot" with no extra information, I think it's reasonable to assume, they mean normal bullets, and I think the author is aware a lot of people will make that incorrect assumption.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Do you have a better word for 'propelled a projectile out of a firearm via expansion of gasses from a gunpowder explosion' than shoot? Because it's an accurate description here.
"police shoot a journalist with a rubber bullet" looks pretty good to me. I don't understand this argument, is it in contention that if you say "police shoot a journalist" people will assume normal bullets?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

If you say "I'm going to shoot you" and then you fire a blank or a rubber bullet, I'm going to be surprised regardless of the injury I sustain. Maybe when you hear "I'm going to shoot you" you think "well, they didn't specify the type of ammunition, so the ammunition could be anything, including nothing", but I don't think that is an ordinary reaction.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

The cops can treat being shot at by something as if they were getting shot at. So why can't civilians say they were being shot at, implicitly by bullets, if a cop literally shot a bullet at them?
Because in the first situation the police are reacting to an unfolding situation they don't have full knowledge of, and in second situation you are attempting to make someone else believe a thing which isn't true, and you know to be not true, and you have ample opportunity to tell them what is true.

quote:

We're not going to agree on this and it's a derail to the main point that the police used force against someone who was not a threat to the police.
Actually we very directly agree here. We've both said that people commonly understand being shot to mean with normal bullets. You just also arguing that dishonesty is a thing people can do. Also what's with people arguing this point also saying it's a derail. If you truly think it's not important or not relevant why argue it?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

I don't recall saying people understand being shot at means with normal bullets. I did say that I'm applying the same standards to the police that the police would apply to themselves. And it's a derail because the bigger issue should be the police using force against someone who isn't threatening the police.
You said "implicitly with bullets", I understood that to mean normal bullets. Are you arguing if I say "I shot them with bullets" people shouldn't make assumptions about the composition of the bullets?

If it's a derail, why are you arguing the point?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

It means all bullets, full stop. The bullet part of a cartridge can be lead, rubber, plastic, depleted uranium. It is the part of a cartridge that's fired out of the gun.
Ok so I say "I will shoot you with a bullet", will you make any sort of assumption as to the composition of that bullet, or will you think maybe it's just a blank?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

:psyduck: Seriously, that's a pathetic comparison. Try again. That's not even barely worth addressing, comparing a multi-billion dollar for profit company's pet project to pump-and-dump as much oil on the market as they possibly can, to building a School for what is largely considered one of the poorest groups of people in the United States who have been time and again disenfranchised by the US Government.

Also: The school doesn't generally explode/fail and pollute when it breaks.
It seems like a pretty good comparison to me:

CommieGIR posted:

They have every right to protest, and you're hilarious incompetent at hand-waving the rights or protesters where it suits you.
A right to protest either exists for everyone or not. Maybe this protest is justified based on the particular context of this protest, but that wouldn't be based on any sort of rights analysis. Similarly in the civil rights movement, black people specifically didn't have a right to do sit ins at whites only restaurants, that was the whole purpose of the protest! If they had that right, there would be no reason to protest. I think the sit ins were certainly justified as a way both to protest and highlight the injustice of the situation, but the protesters plainly didn't possess a right to do it.
edit:

silence_kit posted:

This type of argument doesn't work because although posters here use universal-sounding language and pay lip service to universal principles to describe their ideas, they really aren't universal at all and are really just a bunch of ends-justify-the-means type of arguments to benefit their cause.
To be clear, I'm totally fine with an ends justify the means analysis (that's just consequentialism made to sound scary), you just can't claim to be engaging with rights while doing it.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

They had every right to do it, as the ends (Civil Rights) justified their right to it, and the response against them specifically highlight why they needed those rights. Arguing that they had no right to do it ignores that they were specifically being denied rights given everyone else.
Correct, they were being denied rights, and thus didn't have those rights, which is what they were upset about : not having those rights. You can argue they should have had those rights, but they clearly didn't. Having a right to an action doesn't mean you think the action is good, it means society has agreed that the government should be forced to allow you to perform that action.
edit:

quote:

In the DPL case, the Native's are being denied rights to object to a project being run by a company with a poor pipeline safety record over water that directly impacts their well being, and the Pipeline was redirected by people whose only argument against it also reflected the argument the Native's have. Ironically, somehow, the Native's have no grounds but Bismark was well within their rights to object.
The last I heard they lost their last legal action, so it seems that to the extent that they have a right to object, they've already exhausted those rights.

twodot fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 28, 2016

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

We had rights to throw Japanese Americans in Internment Camps. Didn't mean it was right that we did it, nor that those denial of rights was justified.
I don't think rights is a concept that applies to governments, but clearly I agree Japanese Internment Camps were bad, it doesn't change anything about what rights they possessed at the time (similarly slavery was bad, but I think you will find slaves possessed very few rights). Don't conflate right the noun with right the adjective.

quote:

And the courts ruled in favor of Jim Crow laws multiple times. Again, legal precedent does not make something just, it just makes it legal.
Correct, which is why you need to stop saying "the right" which is a legal concept, and start using just which is what you mean.
edit:
"Should have the right" might work, but then you need to get into how you are structuring the right such that these people have the right but white people protesting integration or whatever don't.

twodot fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 28, 2016

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

And how does that compare to you suggesting that white construction workers have every right to protest the building of a Native American school to stop Sharia Law? Because I still can't grasp what level of madness you'd think that comparison was valid.
You are the one claiming a right to protest exists. If such a right exists, what distinguishes those protests? Consider that a right to free speech allows people to say racist things.
edit:

quote:

Two Dot knew I was using two different meanings of the word Right intentionally, and felt the need to lecture me on basic English which was frankly rather insulting. You don't get to pretend I was arguing in bad faith by saying "Oh look, you are using two different meanings of the word, you are obviously trying to obfuscate your point".

That is beyond contempt to make that sort of claim.
That post you were using right as an adjective, all other times you were using it as a noun.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Again: One was based off objections over actual occurrences and risks. The other is a conspiracy theory. C'mon now, if you get to claim I'm obfuscating my arguing points, at least pretend that you guys are arguing in good faith and not pulling poo poo out of a hat and calling it gold.
No, I get that you believe that. I also believe that. How do you demonstrate that is true, such that you can justify denying them the right to protest? A right to free speech includes a right to spread conspiracy theories. Is the right to protest so flimsy and worthless that we can capriciously deny it to whoever we disagree with?
edit:
HINT - there may exist people who disagree with risk calculations of the DAPL protesters.

quote:

Did it occur to you that was on purpose?
Yes, it was clearly a rhetorical trick to get around legal objections to you using legal language, by trying to back off legal language without changing the literal letters you are typing.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Instances of Pipelines blowing up in 2016: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pipeline_accidents_in_the_United_States_in_the_21st_century#2016
Instances of Sharia Law taking over US in 2016: None.
Yeah, like I said I agree with you, but this evidence won't convince the hypothetical posters, and if mere disagreement with a cause is sufficient to revoke a right to protest, then no one gets a right to protest, because I can always find someone who will disagree, otherwise there would be no cause to protest.

quote:

Legal is not the end all do all for being Just and Fair. By that logic, Lynching was just fair game because lynch mobs were largely considered a legal affair. Don't pretend something being legal somehow implies its also Just.
Yeah I never said otherwise, "a right to protest" is a legal concept, "a protest being right" is a just concept. If you want to talk about just and fair, use those words (or right in its adjective since, or layout how a hypothetical right to protest would actually work).

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

wateroverfire posted:

Even in the moral realm...

Pipelines are remarkably safe. The US has only had a handful of incidents with something like 2.3 million KM of pipe. Crude is going to get transported some kind of way and the other methods are less safe. So what is the DAPL protest but NIMBYism, if pipeline safety is the justification?
Well, charitably either the protest believes there is an even safer means of transport whether it's a different route or different method (or even just delaying construction until other water sources can be secured), even if they may be technically wrong on safety statistics, or the protest wants to reduce or limit the US oil transport capability and this is just a convenient specific instance of a general problem. Both of those seem like supportable arguments, I couldn't comment on safety statistics, that seems like a boring technical detail I probably don't have the background for.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Uglycat posted:

I'm sayin' if ten thousand people stand up and shout 'HEY! YOU! WHAT YOU'RE DOING! STOP!'... you might want to spend a /lot/ of time Listening.
This seems very wrong, there's at least like 60 million people that think Trump should be President, I have no intention on spending any time listening to them.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

Are you loving high? It makes sense to file those requests/complaints if for no other reason than to avoid accusations that they failed to use the system in place.
But they also adopted the strategy of refusing to file requests/complaints prior to the court case, so we've got to pick one of "Working with the system makes sense even if you expect failure just to stave off accusations you didn't work with the system" or "Not working with the system makes sense because the system has a history of murdering you, taking your land, and otherwise not caring about your complaints". I think both are fine strategies, but they are mutually exclusive, you can't believe both at the same time.

twodot fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 29, 2016

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Entering into a court proceeding implies that you consent to abide by the court's decision, or at the very least to only contest it to the extent that the legal system allows, especially when you are the one initiating the court proceeding.
This is really untrue, if North Korea arrests me, I'll work with their court system as much as I'm able, but I'll also take a rescue.

twodot fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 29, 2016

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

Before I respond, did you mean North Korea?
Whoops, yes. Though I would make this argument for basically any foreign country, even if I were rightfully arrested, I would still prefer to go home. The only reason rescue looks like a bad option at home is that I'm easier to retrieve.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

If you get arrested in Germany for doing something that is legal in America, Delta Force is not coming to get you, and all the Embassy will do is try to ensure you have access to adequate legal counsel. Saying that you would prefer to be tried in American courts will get you laughed at.
I realize Delta Force isn't coming for me, but I would have no ethical concern with them doing so if they had some reason. I certainly wouldn't sit in a German prison and say "No Delta Force, by stepping foot on German soil I gave consent to be bound by their laws and courts and as such I must refuse your rescue". You've switched from what people should do to what will happen.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I always love how Dead Reckoning's counter arguments can usually be summed up by "Don't love it? Leave it"
It's more of a " Don't love it? Do you have any alternatives that would be net better than it? No? Well what the gently caress do you expect to happen?".

Raerlynn posted:

Unjust - adj.
not based on or behaving according to what is morally right and fair

Funny, I don't see a prerequisite in that definition requiring a better solution. It is possible for something to be legal, yet unjust. For example: police violence against minorities, white male rapists receiving disproportionately short prison sentences, NSA wiretapping, need I continue?

I feel like there might be a more fruitful discussion if you didn't try to redefine terms in the English language to mean things they didn't.
But I can come up with solutions to all of those problems, when police are faced with deciding between immorally applying violence against minorities or not, they can choose not. What's the problem you are concerned about that somehow has no solution, but is still unfair (to me, unfair implies a state which is fair to compare to, so I would think this is impossible)?

twodot fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I have all sorts of alternatives that would be net better, mainly we can stop pretending that the exposed injustices are acceptable part of a functioning system, or that prosecutors/police should be above major abuses of suspects.
Ok, I think there is broad agreement this is good to the extent that we already agree on what incidents are injustices or abuses. You see the problem with this post right?

Rated PG-34 posted:

The protesters don't want the pipeline anywhere not just not in their backyard.
I suppose you have some accreditation naming you speaker of all protesters?

• Locked thread