Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

quote:

At first you’re instructed to hone in on the sensations that appear during the divination (the word ‘Pain’ might flash up on screen at the moment the victim was struck, for example, and you have to select it if it seems out of place), yet later you need to identify the sensations that don’t appear - even though it’s not really made clear to you that that’s even an option.

I'm almost 100% sure this never happens. Anything on the screen that's not a word bubble is the sense of sight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Marogareh posted:

So what the hell am I supposed to do in early case 2 after talking to Retinz? It says to give Trucy the noteook but she doesn't appear and everywhere else has nothing for me.

There's probably some junk in the dressing room or some other place you haven't clicked yet

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

Oh man, as of the beginning of the trail of Case 2, I loving hate Sadmadhi with a passion I have not felt towards a prosecutor in this series since Von Karma. He's just so incredibly lovely to everyone. Poor Ema even started eating Snackoos again after dealing with him!

Ema eating snackoos may be the most heartbroken expression I've seen in any of the Ace Attorney games. Like above and beyond verge of mental breakdown Adrian Andrews levels of bad times

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well, finished my 1st day with this game and it kinda got off on the wrong foot but all in all I felt it was pretty good.

Case 1 had a really rough 1st half.Not only did I think the intro was too long, but until Ahnderstand'in shows up the trial is honestly kinda depressing. Like everyone hates Phoenix and wants him dead, and there's not that many jokes or anything. It's just not a great atmosphere. You'd expect Payne to provide some by being pathetic and everything, but Gaspen is just a goddamn scumbag who is not funny at all. The most you've got for some fun is Rayfa because of how easily she reverts to being an embarrassing 13 year old brat, but even then half her lines are "kill the lawyer" or "the lawyer will burn in hell for his insolence". And the case suffers from Phoenix not having a co-council to bounce off of, I didn't realise how essential it ended up seeming to the formula. Rocker Jesus was great though.

Case 2 on the other hand I really enjoyed. Some weird solutions in the trial aside I thought it was pretty great. I kinda wished they extended it to 2 days, I think there was enough there if they split the investigation and trial up a bit. Good characters all round, nice to have happy Ema back but it's still good to see some bitterness and curmudgeonyness in some of her trial scenes. Most importantly though Retinz was a fantastic villain for what was a 1 day case with no plot importance (I think). His animations were great, the confrontation with him was great, his motives were good and he made the case really personal not just for Trucy but for the whole Wright Agency. Nahyuta kinda got overshadowed though, and while I like his animations he doesn't seem too interesting. And his thing of not getting all that angry with the defence, but instead just acting super disappointed with them goes a long way into making him hateable.

Really though the whole case kinda felt to me like it'd be a much better final case to AJ than what we got for that game. The whole Gramayre thing and how during Retinz breakdown he rants about how he only lost because of Apollo and he still totally beat the Gramayres, is just a really nice moment since the game doesn't point it out but considering Apollo's mom he still lost to a Gramayre anyway. It was a fun case.

Anyway, it's been a good game so far. I hope it keeps it up.

Why is every Gramarye outside of Trucy such an unrepentant piece of poo poo. Max Galactica was kind of a dick in a Job Bluth-ish way too but he wasn't a psychotic motherfucker like everyone in that troupe seems to be

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Case 5, Trial Day 2: Haha who'd have thought that playing 999 would prepare me for a major plot point in an AA game 6 years later. I guessed that Inga had prosopagnosia as soon as I saw his notes, and now here's the insight with a faceless Dhurke.

The first tell is that he actually doesn't recognize Phoenix in Case 3 until Phoenix announces himself as the lawyer from Case 1.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Kazy posted:

Same full game spiolers. I was expecting his coup plot to be planted evidence by the queen, but I guess he really was a bad guy after all.

That almost felt like a dropped thread. I spent the whole trial waiting for the he was really doing it for his wife/Rayfa!!! twist but nope what you see is what you get.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
*Case 5 spoilers*

Burning on in my heart. Fire.

Burn my love away. All away.

Like a bullet of love. Fire.

Take my life away. All away.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I haven't even gotten to the meat of Case 4 and this already feels really out of place. Case 4s are usually tragic backstories that we triumphantly rebound from at the end.

This cannot be that.

Blackquill gotta have his noodles

Just think of Case 4 as a breather that acts as a heavy bludgeon for the games overarching theme of Inheritance and passing things on to the next generation with a mix of love and family

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
*Case 2*

Mistree is probably one of the most sympathetic minor victims in the series. Dude literally did nothing wrong and his murder wasn't even the point, loving with Trucy and the Gramarye's was.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Yeah they're not long. The Apollo one is maybe 10 minutes longer but each one is around half an hour give or take 10 minutes (Phoenix closer to 20, Apollo probably a little more than 30), not anything you have to rush out and get. Phoenix one is pretty absurd and funny though

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

orenronen posted:

DGS1 wasn't a bad game,

Immensely underwhelming is an apt way to describe it

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

orenronen posted:

I really enjoyed what we got, but it's true that it doesn't have a big climax full of twists like we're used to.

But I dunno, I think the more down-to-earth storytelling has its merits, and Takumi's actual prose and dialogue are still better than what we currently get in the main series.

I don't care about how nice the dialogue sounds, I play these games to watch mysteries unfold and have fun solving them with the cast of the characters and the game does a real shitshow of a job in that regard

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

IceBorg posted:

The only thing I can say about DGS1's last case and ending is imagine if Spirit of Justice ended after case 5 day 1. Because that's basically what they did with DGS1.

Banjeeks literally (figuratively) spits in the player's face at the end and tells them to buy the next game if they want to know what his deal actually is. What a weaver of tales Takumi-sama is

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

RIP Samurai Warrior, may there be no bedposts where you now lay

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Case 2 is good and case 4 is like three quarters good stuff. Even case 3 at least has good investigation segments.

Klavier is poo poo, but hobo Nick and Kristoph are cool.

Almost the entirety of the first case 2 trial is Wesley the Panty Snatcher, case 2 is not Good