Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm ready to object, Your Honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Also RIP Mia.

She's still alive you fool! There's still time!!!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mia Fey is dead

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

The game should be available around noon on Thursday? Or something, that's usually when the eshop updates.

Or can you preorder this one?

Yes the eshop updates at 12 EST/9 PST aside from special big releases of which Ace Attorney is decidedly not. I'm not at my 3DS atm so I'll check if it can be preordered later but I doubt it. Someone would've mentioned it by now right??

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The single most important question you should ask yourself to determine if you would like Professor Layton is this - do you like solving brainteaser puzzle type things purely for their own sake?

The gameplay in Layton games is almost entirely these kinds of standalone puzzles, completely disconnected from the context of the story and characters that surround them. They ALSO have insane stories and charming characters, but as much as I love those aspects, if I didn't also have a deep and pure love of puzzles I doubt I'd enjoy the games as much as I do.

This is in contrast to the Ace Attorney series where the gameplay is intrinsically tied into the story such that they are inseparable.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Smh if you don't keep track of which posters are European so you don't get confused in moments like these

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

For the rest of us, 2 more hours

We can make it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I want to finish Act 1 of Trails of Cold Steel 2 before I start this

It's torture having so many good games

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Early case 1: Holy poo poo Gaspen Payne wants Phoenix loving dead

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I didn't even read the spoiler tag before mine when I posted that, so I didn't realize I was saying the exact same thing.

Everyone please clearly case mark your spoiler tags with the case they're referring to!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 1: Playing a song with the dialogue box sounds.... I'm just in awe

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 2, Trial Day 1: Bonny and Betty are hilarious I love them. Bonny holding Betty up in the air and her arms shaking is one of my favorite animations ever.

I really hope neither of them are the killer, though I highly doubt they are at this point.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh also I forgot to comment on Case 1 as a whole: It felt like a weird start at first, and during the first part of Andi'stahndin's testimony I was kinda not feeling it. By the end though I came around. I loved nailing him and the moment of epiphany about the true way the orb was stolen was a really good one. One minor quibble that was bothering me for a while until it finally got used was the glowing treasure box - I kept expecting to use that to show Ahlbi couldn't have been holding it or Paht Rohl would've seen it glowing! But that never came up. I think it's a slight problem with the way the seance is presented - if you're going to show visuals of the crime it's a bit of a problem if they don't take into account all the details from later in the case that should be present at that point. The lack of any kind of glow when there really should've been threw me a bit.

Still the evidence eventually got used and I got over it so it's okay.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'M AT THE END OF CASE 2 AND I'M YELLING

THIS GAME OWNS

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

All of Case 2: Woww that was an incredible case. I don't think it was too much shorter than your usual 2 day cases because both the investigation and trial phases felt like they were double the length that they usually are, so they just sort of combined them rather than splitting them up. Made for an interesting change of pace.

But man I was straight up baffled for most of the case which is awesome because I love those moments when Apollo asks you to do something and you're like oh poo poo I don't know what he's getting at! The reveal about Retinz blew my mind of course, but weirdly the craziest moment for me was the final deduction because I'd been trying to figure out why the handprints were backwards for the whole drat case.

Retinz was an amazing villain. So absolutely twisted and hateful, and one of the coolest murder plots the games have had so far.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Case 2: Oh god there's a video I'm getting flashbacks.

haha Don't worry they've long since learned their lesson. It's not a repeat of 4-3

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

i'm about halfway through case 2 and I'm somewhat baffled at the order of the information being presented. After they show off the note signed by Trucy that says she knew about the "prank" (which is a pretty stupid twist btw, but I'll see how it goes after I'm done with the case) I expected that we would have to bring up the potential for the signature to be faked through that bogus clipboard. Instead, they all panic and the judge is about to decide a verdict, and suddenly we're talking about the murder weapon instead? It doesn't seem like a very natural transition at all. It makes no difference if we assert that Trucy actually used a rubber sword onstage then, as opposed to earlier. Why wasn't that one of the first things brought up? The argument Apollo gives is super flimsy too. "Well, maybe the blood was tampered with after the fact!" This case started off strong but this whole bit feels really bad to me.

It'll all make sense eventually, but yes it's another example of a piece of evidence being introduced that seems like it should be used for one thing, but is actually going to be used somewhere else later. It'd be nice if they'd address why it doesn't get used earlier but in the end the way it is used is pretty satisfying.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

How did it take ten games for Ace Attorney to do a twins twist? (Case 2)

I mean... they did a different one in the second game.

...And the third.

E: Well Ini and Mimi weren't twins just sisters. The Hawthorne sisters were though.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 10, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 3, Trial Day 1: I'm pretty sure that An'ohn Ihmus is the Khura'in version of John Doe

Lol these goddamn Khura'inese pun names

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I really was impressed how DD and SoJ basically turned me around on Apollo a lot. It really helps that he gets to like actually be his own character and Athena is a really good assistant for him.

To be honest he and Athena make a way better pair than him and Trucy. I do like Trucy but I think she's always been MORE wacky than helpful and works better as just another character than someone to help and bounce thoughts off of in trial.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 3, Early Trial Day 2: I just had one of those moments where I figured out so much about where the case was going down the line that I had trouble figuring out what contradiction the game wanted from me. We saw the Insight for R'heel Neh'mu and I very quickly figured out that he was actually murdered in the secret hideout pressed up against the magatama slab, and that the Plumed Punisher theme was coming from the clock. I was so focused on figuring out how I'd prove the wrong location that it took me way too long to figure out that the first thing I was supposed to prove was that the time of death was wrong based on the smell.

Cool case so far, even though it does seem like there's literally only one possible suspect.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oof I'm stumped on Case 3, Day 2: So I proved all the stuff I figured out before about the murder taking place in the hideout and the clock playing the punisher theme, but there's still apparently one more inconsistency in the insight and I have no idea what it is. Ideas I had were that it has something to do with the "Heavy" sensation but I can't figure out what.

Any little hints?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Terper posted:

If he was standing upright, then where could the sensation of Heavy possibly come from, since the culprit could no longer bear down on their back?

Ahhhhh I was presenting Heavy on the two statements involving the murder, not the one about him standing upright. I had the right idea but that didn't occur to me. Thank you!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 3, Trial Day 2 (pretty big spoilers!): OH MY GOD MAYA'S FINALLY CHANELLING IN A TRIAL THIS IS AMAZING

E: VVV Hey those are case 3 spoilers not 2, be careful readers

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 10, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VibrantPareidolia, you've mismarked those spoilers as Case 2 btw, when they're really referring to case 3.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 3, Trial Day 2: Ahhh Tahrust Inmee please put your shirt back on before Maya stops channeling you :gonk:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I finished Case 3. Good lord that was depressing. :smith: There's a very small handful of situations where Ace Attorney cases end on such a low note and they really pulled it off well this time. I didn't figure everything out ahead of time because my base assumption of going up against an unrepentant criminal was so strong, that it took until the thought route itself for me to realize that I was already at the end. Geez.

The worst thing someone did in this case was Tahrust framing Maya... but man I can't even hold it against him when he did so by loving murdering himself to protect his wife. They made a really effective case for the hosed up legal system being to blame for this whole thing.

I really like the weird grim tone of this game. It's extremely different from the usual, but I think they're doing it well and I'm eager to see how we're going to force this country to change.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 4, very early: I read up on soba, rakugo, and Jugemu as soon as they were mentioned and thus got the joke about the latter, what now localizers :smug:

E: I just looked up Tokisoba too

This is fun though it will probably make the case last a bit long :v:

E2: Aw I can't find anything on "Soba Sei/Glutton" if it's also a real one

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 10, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lmao case 4 is ridiculous. Spoilers are up to the first save point: What a convoluted mess of a case. I have no idea where this fourth personality is going to lead us but I have a strong feeling that he's not the real killer. We've barely even spoken to Geiru and something has to be going on with her and that dog.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

I'm kind of annoyed with the way they use "lawyer" in this game to refer only to the defense. Are prosecutors not considered lawyers?

I'm pretty sure the series has always used the word that way

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 4, full: It seems like some people weren't too hot on this case, but I really liked it! Possibly better than the first one even, though Pees'lubin was a better villain. The mystery was extremely convoluted but I had fun teasing it out step by step and the final realization was pretty cool.

I also really enjoyed educating myself about all the various Japanese cultural things that were involved.

The ending was pretty sad despite catching Geiru being satisfying. Her reason for murdering him was so tragically dumb.

Onwards to the final case!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I absolutely hate the Insight system for this reason right now. I started to read your spoiler line-by-line just to confirm what I figured it was about and yep, I had the same issue (and worked out the same thing of what's spoiled above). Insights end up really stalling out the story part of the game for me. I don't know if it's the lack of being able to present evidence in the way I'm used to, or because it's far more abstract than any previous system in previous games, but it's the biggest wall I've ever hit in these games.

Eh, I like it and I like that it does something different. It's not as though the issue I outlined in that spoiler is exclusive to the Insight mechanic, it's happened plenty of times before throughout the series.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Terper posted:

Man the puzzle in case 5 was a bitch and a half. If someone gets stuck on it:

The one you're not getting right is the third row. Remember that the sections can be set to show two halves of a picture.

I'm glad I remembered this post and went back to check it

That's hosed up!!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 5, End of Investigation Day 1: G-going up against Phoenix Wright in court!?

No.... I can't do it....

WHAT IS HAPPENING

E: THROW IN THE TOWEL

There's no hope let's just give up

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 11, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

"Filler" cases are good

They should make a game with all "filler" cases

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 5, Trial Day 1: Man Atishon is so wonderfully terrible. I loved his little thing where he'd not know how to answer a question so he'd just grab his stupid placard and walk calmly away. What a piece of poo poo.

Sergeant Buff is also great. His drone rampage in response to Athena's therapy session (complete with stealing Widget and the gavel) is one of the best insane witness things the series has ever done.

I can't wait to see how huge this case gets since it eventually has to tie back into Khura'in as well!

E: Oh my god Armie Buff :cry:

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 11, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 5, still trial day 1 I HATE YOU PHOENIX WRIGHT YOU SLIMY LAWYER

Finally I know what it feels like to be on the opposite side of him... he's the worst. That desperate line about the Founder's Orb not having fulfilled the legend just to buy him time to pull a brand new witness testimony out of his rear end!! Wright!!!!!!!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 5, Trial Day 1 ending: Well Atishon just won the prize for funniest breakdown ever holy poo poo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Case 5, Investigation Day 2: Wow we're going to have to defend against two murders at once... I confess I'm basically drooling at the prospect. Bring it ON!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Man, when I finally got the pun for Roger Retinz.. :allears:

Tell me I never figured it out