Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L9Os_2nnEY

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice is the newest installment in Capcom's popular Ace Attorney series, which follows the legal adventures of Phoenix Wright and his law agency. It's the 6th main game and the 10th game overall and comes out on the 8th of September. This installment finds Phoenix traveling to the Kingdom of Khura'in, an Asian country which has tailored its law system in such a way as to make defense attorneys nonexistent also they killed them all, instead trying cases due to the interpretation of the victim's last memories. Phoenix must find a way to bring true justice to this country and revolutionize their legal system from within. Meanwhile, back in Los Angeles, Phoenix's proteges Apollo and Athena are left to their own devices at the agency, encountering a person who seems to know about Apollo's past.

Characters:

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix is the head of the Wright Anything Agency, and has been a lawyer for like 5 of the last 11 years, so it's totally fine. Ignore that 7 year gap. It's fiiiine. He finds himself in Khura'in after a worrisome conversation with an old friend. Has a knack for turning bad situations around. Can use his Magatama to find out when people are lying.

Apollo Justice

THIS IS APOLLO JUSTICE AND HE'S FINE! The second lawyer to join the Anything Agency, he's taking care of things at home while Phoenix is away. A very intense boy who usually acts as the straight man to his co-workers. Can use his bracelet to perceive people's poker faces.

Athena Cykes

A young attorney and analytical psychologist, she joined the Agency last year. She's very peppy and perky and generally pleasant to be around. Can use her Mood Matrix to analyze a person's emotions during testimony.

Rayfa Padma Khura'in

The princess of Khura'in, she performs the Divination Seance, a ritual that allows one to see a departed spirit's final thoughts and sensations. She's also 14. What is it with this series and teenage girls?

Maya Fey

Phoenix's assistant for his early career, she's finally back! As the heir to the Kurain Spirit Channeling Technique, she's currently in Khura'in studying to become the Master of her school. These names may or may not be related.

Nahyuta Sahdmadhi

An international prosecutor, he tries cases in both Khura'in and America. A respected monk, he believes that convicting criminals in court will bring them salvation. He seems to remember Apollo, but how???

Ema Skye

Obsessed with forensics all her life, Phoenix helped Ema with a case in the first year of his career. Later, she would serve an unsatisfying stint as a homicide detective before being put into her dream job of a forensic scientist. She'll assist Apollo with investigations back home.

Divination Seance:

One of the key gameplay elements of SoJ, the Divination Seance allows the courtroom to see what the victim saw and felt at their final moments. It's up to Phoenix to use this information, along with the evidence, to challenge Rayfa's interpretation of what happened and to find the truth.

Spirit of Justice will be available September 8th for digital download only from the Nintendo eShop. There's costume DLC which will be free for the first year of release and a DLC case plus some mini episodes which have not been announced for localization yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also RIP Mia.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

They're just ladders.

Pope Guilty, please. It's 2016. I think we've moved past such labels.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

i'm never going to skip Rayfa's cutesy dance animation

Ace Attorney has a stock transformation sequence, it is finally an anime.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Bogart posted:

Did that Ace Attorney meets Professor Layton game ever get an English release?

Yeah. It's half of an alright Layton game mixed with half of an alright AA game which is just about (or slightly less than, depending on how you view the ending) the sum of its parts.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

I really liked the Phoenix and Maya bits, but the Layton stuff was mostly boring IMO.

I could spend all day talking about why AA and Layton ended up not being the peanut butter and chocolate combination we were hoping, at least not in a game, but I kinda wanna get to my replay of it before going on about all that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh, I'm not sayin' it's a bad game at all. It just stumbles a bit at times in interesting ways. It's absolutely worth playing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, we knew it was getting localized from the day it was announced period, but yeah, the September 8th date crept up on us.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

do we get to play as athena or is she just support now

You get to play as Athena in the filler third case.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And I mean, if you like Ace Attorney, there's a good chance you'll be able to get into Layton. The fanbases do overlap quite a bit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/aceattorneygame/status/773204175123468292

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

First: You can download the Ace Attorney Trilogy (A collection of the first three games), Layton vs., Dual Destines, and Spirit of Justice from the 3DS eShop. Apollo Justice and Investigations 1 would have to be tracked down on DS and Investigations 2 and Dai Gyakuten Saiban have never been given US releases, though Investigations 2 has a perfectly good fan patch and DGS is getting what I refuse to acknowledge as an Ace Attorney translation from the guys that made the lovely FE:Fates patch.

It should also be noted that Layton vs., the Investigations games, and Dai Gyakuten are side games and are not necessary if you just wanna catch up on the main continuity.

Second: Most Ace Attorney games are standalone stories, and while it helps to have context for returning characters and how people got where they are, it's hardly required. As for mechanics, the games make a point of having every first case feature a tutorial on the game's basics, so you're good there.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 6, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sometimes. I wouldn't be surprised if Trilogy and DD went on sale when SoJ comes out.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oceania is getting it the 9th, which is the 8th in the US and Europe.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

We're almost 24 hours away from a new Ace Attorney game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

eShop typically updates at noon EST. Sometimes you get a midnight release, but this is not a midnight release.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

How are you getting it?! Europe?!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm flying to Germany right now to become a prosecutor prodigy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm starting it now, but I'm assuming the thread name change is a reference.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No, that part I did. The Ace of Attorney part is the change.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

Tehm'pul Temple, the localization team has done it again!

According to my sources, that's pretty much a direct translation of the Japanese pun, so.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Phoenix is totally the kind of dork who would wear his suit on vacation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/aceattorneygame/status/773973311139086337

I HATE THIS, GET IT AWAY FROM ME

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh god the Minister of Justice is Gumshoe in his first scene, before they had decided on "pal" and made him a 50's mobster, see?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Is there anything that's worth more
Than Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin on the planet Earth?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's telling that Gaspen Payne could only be respected in a country where being a defense attorney is illegal. I'm pretty sure he's actually the shittiest prosecutor in the series, and not really in a compelling or fun way. He's just an awful person and I want Winston back.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

My favorite low key reference in case 1 is when Pees references the Gyakuten Meets Orchestra and Jazz Soul albums.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I really liked Case 1, slow first half and all. I think part of it was also that they needed to set up the Khura'in plot, with the DC Act and everything. It seemed to go a bit faster once you got out of what the demo covered.

Who taught Rayfa these words. You sweet child.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Am I the only one who read Peeslub'n in Jack Black's voice?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Case 2: Oh god there's a video I'm getting flashbacks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm a big fan of how much Apollo just loving hates Klavier.

It's very relateable because I hate him too.

Edit: AAAAAA APOLLO READS MANGA THE loving WEEBLORD

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Trucy is my darling magical daughter and I will have no slander against her.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

How did it take ten games for Ace Attorney to do a twins twist? (Case 2)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

OH gently caress

THAT'S RIGHT

Shiiiiit.

Also Nahyuta is a good prosecutor. He's a cool dude, so you can kinda respect him, but he's also a real smarmy piece of poo poo and it's really awesome to see him squirm.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Revisualization was such a small thing for DD to add, but it really really does add SO MUCH to that final turnabout.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Apollo, I don't think you meant to word that the way you did, but you said it and now I'm already shipping Betty and Trucy. (Case 2 end)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like Apollo a lot. My shocking law boy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

*Turnabout Sisters starts playing*

I'm not gonna loving cry.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I just realized it seems the prologue anime doesn't have poo poo to do with poo poo (General/I guess Case 1)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Case 3 has the best joke in the entire series. "In my country, suspects are innocent until proven guilty."