Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
This is going to be incredibly silly, and that's fine. I'm fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

Around halfway through case 4. Some thoughts so far.

Case 1: Ramped up the odds real fast, didn't we? I like the magistrate - he's surprisingly committed to seeing justice done given the climate of the time and a pretty cool dude overall. Death Metal Pees'lubn was insane and amazing as all get out. "Death truth is what you dread! Hear my shred!!"

Case 2: Every single older Gramayre is a diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick. Roger Retinz was great and his breakdown amazing, though the bit with making the camera disappear pre-day 2 gave up too much info at once. Bonny and Betty were amazing as well. Poor Manov Mistree though, dude's entire purpose was to die just to gently caress with Trucy - he wasn't innocent by any means but Retinz had him from day 1. He's up there with von Karma for holding grudges. I also questioned Bonny's life choices during the thought route and it was hilarious. A very good case.

Case 3: MAYA :swoon: and she's immediately accused of murder, good to see things don't change. Having Rayfa as your investigation partner was absolutely wonderful and made the case extremely enjoyable by that count alone. Rayfa is cute and her theme is good.

The Steel Motherfucking Samurai strikes again.

Datz's facial expressions are amazing, especially after you realize he was making those exact faces under the bushy hair and beard during the trial. He's a fun character. I actually was expecting the wife to be guilty early on, but not at all in the way that it came out - a suicide to protect a murder was some sad poo poo. Also nice job kicking the revolution into overdrive, Jimmy Phoenix.

So far on Case 4, holy poo poo Simon loving with Athena is the best, he is goddamn on point.

This game is Good.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Also, Ema is cute and wonderful and her new theme is great and she is great.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Athena's double desk slam is such a tiny little thing for how widely it makes me grin.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Some of the way into Case 5 Trial Day 2. I saw some people mentioning 999 out of spoiler tags and I wondered what they could possibly be talking about...and I just did the Divination Seance. Well, poo poo, Inga had prosopagnosia, didn't he? Is Apollo going to stand up and say "Actually...I'm Phoenix" next?

Also who is alive and who is dead and who is channeling who at any given moment aaaaaaaa

I expect I still have a way to go.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I suspect I'm getting pretty close to the end of case 5...some more thoughts.

From the very beginning I was thinking "okay, who is actually channeling who, and who has been dead this whole time?" so the fact that Dhurke was dead from the word go wasn't as much of a HOLY gently caress moment as I bet it was for some other people. Same with Amara being alive the whole time, and being Nayna.

Slightly a shame that we didn't get more Nayna-as-Nayna, I liked her animations.

I'm very nearly convinced the whole reason for the scarring was just so they had an excuse for a closeup on Ga'ran's chest.

Apollo did a whole process-of-elimination to pin down who could channel, and one kiiiinda crazy thought occurs to me...there's one person with royal blood walking around all this time that no one has ever said anything about. Rayfa can't channel, and the assumption is only the queens and Maya can, but... :tinfoil: what about Nahyuta? :tinfoil:

Oh, and I guess prosopagnosia was only half the 999 people were talking about, after Dhurke went full Snake :black101: Shame Morphogenetic Sorrow wasn't playing there :v:

Amara just got shot, okay, that I did not loving expect...but that said, isn't that a pretty stupid idea? If she lives she can still talk, and if she dies they can just loving channel her right then and right there! Unless they also shoot Maya! What the craaaarjhghjgjhh. That's as far as I am right now.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's been established since the first game that only women can channel spirits.
I kinda figured as much, though no one has specifically mentioned it in AA6 as far as I can remember, just that they have to have the royal bloodline and training. It is also super unlikely that Nahyuta would have had such training.

Unless... :tinfoil: Nahyuta is also a ghost??? :iit:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Beat it. That was a Good Game. Playtime was 21:34.

I was less wowed by Case 5 as a whole, maybe since I guessed a number of the twists ahead of time. It was a very good case, but it doesn't beat 2-4 or 3-5 for me. Did not call the twist about Ga'ran being unable to channel from the start. Some of them you simply didn't have the information to call, though, like the photo actually being 15 years old instead of 23, but I strongly suspected Rayfa wasn't Ga'ran's for quite a while. Also disappointed with the final breakdown - they're usually just more incredible than that. Roger Retinz/Mr. Reus had the best breakdown of the game, honestly. Nahyuta was...kinda there, all game? There's really not too much to say about him, he wasn't terribly interesting. Dhurke is a humorously bad dad but a super cool guy overall and his last bit was kickass. Datz was awesome all game. Ema is cute and good and her theme is wonderful and I hope there is more Ema in the future, although Gumshoe really needs to show up again already :(. The music was overall some of the best in the series, especially investigation themes. The pun game was insanely On Point and Inga's full name was just absolutely ridiculous and wonderful. :allears:

Now I can reread the thread and enjoy people's reactions and any things I missed out on. I'll probably have more thoughts on it as I do.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Good partners for investigating are what make them fun or boring. 6-3 was a ton of fun to investigate for that very reason.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Clarste posted:

Honestly, I think investigations have always been the low points of the game and have always been annoyed when trials moved on to the second day. I'm glad that they've been downplaying that, or at least making the second day wildly different instead of a continuation of the same investigation.
In general, I strongly agree that investigation segments are substantially weaker, but a good partner goes a long way towards making them more tolerable.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I think I got stuck at that point too - you need to connect the explosion to the 3pm statement or something like that.

theshim
May 1, 2012

AA3 had the best Court, Moderato, and Pursuit themes. AJ got the best Allegro and Lobby. I think AA6 actually has some of the best investigation themes, though.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Amppelix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz4ziiQoErw

for a proper AJ experience watch this 15 times
the only thing that softens the blow here is getting to watch klavier on fire repeatedly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

yesssss

god it's been too long