Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The games are standalone but you should play the original trilogy because it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I really liked Case 2, it might be one of the best "filler" cases in the series. I think it had a great take on the "obvious culprit who's a huge rear end in a top hat" idea because he had a perfect alibi and was applying pressure to the investigation throughout. It also did a good job of wrapping up the Gramarye/Trucy plot-thread that was kindof abandoned in AJ which is the kind of thing filler cases should do.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Case 2: As good as the case was overall the trick felt kindof shaky because of how much cleanup the culprit had to do afterwards. I mean he had to move the murder weapon and the body from the catwalk to the stand on the stage, move the rubber sword down into the understage area, apply blood to the coffin and swap the holes of it. It seems like he should have at least aroused some suspicion from someone when doing that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like the MM because they contain images of the defendant doing the murder.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I remember Blackquill's matrix being good and climactic too.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Case 3: Day one felt like a bit of a waste of time. You painstakingly argue through a (kindof ambiguous and frustrating) Divination seance to change around positions and introduce the possibility of a third party. Then all that progress is just suddenly swept away by a true but unbacked theory from the prosecutor. Then you spend FOUR TESTIMONIES on a guy who turns out to have nothing to do with the case and has no relevant information about it.

I think day two was good though. The seance was more logical and made meaningful progress, and the confrontation with the culprit was good and emotionally satisfying. It's also probably the best "thought route" so far, the questions did a great job of guiding you towards the big twist while also making you feel like you figured it out yourself.

NRVNQSR posted:

(Case 2 spoilers) You could argue that we don't know what the age of majority is in Japanifornia.
Judging from how young lawyers tend to be and who has been tried for murder I would estimate it's around 10

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'd use the term "standalone" since it doesn't have negative connotations. Every main series Ace Attorney game has had two large standalone (IE not directly related to the finale) cases so it's not like it's anything new. Hey Maya remember that time I cross-examined a parrot?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

I've mostly just started Case 4 but Blackquill at least fights back with insults of his own. It's actually really refreshing and the most I've ever liked him. Nahyuta needs to cram it, because I'm sick of his crap.
Slightly later case 4: Blackquill also tells him that he doesn't care about his religious beliefs and just wants to save his favourite noodle joint. Blackquill is great

e: I like Athena's remixed theme.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 12, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Raxivace posted:

The Payne family is the true blight on the legal system that must be abolished...permanently.
Winston is just a lovely prosecutor who talks himself up too much. Poor guy just wants to protect his witnesses from badgering, it's not his fault they always turn out to be the true murderer :(

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

smenj posted:

Well, in most cases it's just really unlikely it was your client, and usually it takes a while to prove that. For a big chunk of the trial, your client is usually the most obvious culprit. It's only during the last half or third or so when it becomes a bit silly that they still think it could've been your client when you've already proved they weren't at the scene or something. In AJ case 3 though, it's patently obvious from the very beginning that it would've been near-impossible for your client to have done it, and that doesn't change once. It was absolutely infuriating.
I think the reboot has actually been way better about this. After each revelation the prosecutor repositions their case and is generally able to find some reason to continue suspecting your client.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Case 3 ending: That is actually what happened, though? I agree Nahyuta should've presented some evidence to back up the claim. I also felt like dismissing Datz as a suspect out of hand because he was a rebel was silly, there could easily be some kind of internal squabble between them.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Oldbag and Lotta were random one-off witnesses before they came back

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

AAI2 is very good and had a suprisingly high quality fan translation patch. The game set in the past, DGS is getting one but it's by a group that doesn't localize anything on principle so it will probably be worse.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Case 5 day one: Case 2 and just the first day of Case 5 with nothing else are both better finales for AA4 than the finale of AA4.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Okay, I need some help.

I'm on Case 5, Trial Day 1: Sarge's Mood Matrix segment. I have a vague idea of why Dr. Buff was burning the orb, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to progress here.
I assume you're being asked to present evidence on a statement? You're trying to demonstrate that a timing assumption Sarge is making is wrong, based on what you know about Archie's actions.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The game has felt pretty hard all around, partly because of the very long trial sections. That's mostly felt good outside of some ambiguous seances/testimonies and the loving fingerprinting

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Apollo's bracelet sucks because it's a tedious spot the difference exercise that plays out agonizingly slowly rather than a puzzle.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Athena's in a bit of a strange position because she hasn't had her own game/final case yet. I imagine she'll have an arc where she proves herself next game.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah turning the crowd against her is actually a very personal attack.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Los Angeles has a large community of Japanese immigrants who Blackquill spends all his time with.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Something that's cool in case 5 trial day 2: On one of the insights if you present the laughter as evidence that the crime didn't happen at 3PM you get shot down since laughter isn't an uncommon thing in the bazaar, but don't get a penalty. Are there any other reasonable but wrong answers that don't penalize you in the game?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The localization team backed themselves into a corner with their branding of the first four games is why.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Case 4 shows us Athena is still training as a lawyer I guess. And that in addition to learning from Wright she's also learning to do whatever it is Blackquill does

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Lana will have been released from prison by this time and is the special prosecutor at the end of AA7.
I want a flashback case with Lana and Gant on the prosecution side.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Finished the game. Thought it was really good overall, especially case 5 which managed to be almost nonstop twists and turns with emotional impact. The entire premise for the game was a bit of a risk and I assumed it was going to be dumb going in but it actually seemed to work.

Whole game: We've talked about them not doing 3 day trials anymore, but it looks like they mostly abandoned 2 day trials for AA6. The only trials that go to a second day are 3 after you're found guilty and 5 which is really a completely different case. I assume it's to keep the trial intensity up and I do think it works very well in case 5.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Oh my god

Case 5 big spoilers:

Amara channeling Inga and Dhurke should be a big plothole because of the hair colour, right?

Except when you go into Inga's room and check the table there's a bottle of hair dye sitting there. L' Belle brand black hair dye.

Haha wow. I guess Amara is used to messing around with her hair to stand in for Ga'ran.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

IceBorg posted:

The only thing I can say about DGS1's last case and ending is imagine if Spirit of Justice ended after case 5 day 1. Because that's basically what they did with DGS1.
I think that would still be better than AJ's final case.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm betting on three simultaneous cases (one in Khura'in with Apollo) that turn out to be linked.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think having a friendly prosecutor works when the actual culprit stands out as the villain and needs teamwork to be brought down (eg 1-5, 2-4). Aggressive prosecutors like Blackquill tend to overshadow the cast of the cases they're in, which isn't always what you want.

Having the prosecutor always be a bad person would also skew the message of the series towards "all prosecutors are evil" which is kindof dumb, it's more about the need for vigorous and determined debate to discover the truth.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean if the prosecutor just gave up and said "OK the defendant seems to be innocent" you'd probably never find evidence nailing the true culprit. All of the attorneys need to be challenged in order to find answers.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think there is any situation where anyone remotely competent or sympathetic would be legitimately supporting Attishon.
Phoenix always believes in his clients even when there's a mountain of evidence against them. I think he would represent someone even if they're sortof a dick.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Case 4 does basically tell you who did it and their motive in the character profiles lol

Kindof reminds me of this one anime episode I saw where someone casually mentions the massive life insurance policy her husband just took out on her and that he wants a new car.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

But her trauma is specifically related to people in court being mean to her. Obviously being an attorney will be hard for her but it's what she felt was right.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I cared because Blackquill would lose his precious noodle stand.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I'm nearing the end of case 5 (i think, anyway) and I think I can say this case is dumb. sorry folks, but the game is bad. Case 2 and especially case 3 were really good but a broken watch is only right twice a day. Ace Attorney is dead. Unless somehow the ending of the case redeems all the dumb stuff that's happened so far, but we will see.
Where are you?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Case 5: Re: Inga those aren't really problems for him. Amara knew the founder's name and he could easily get it out of her by just getting Rayfa to ask. He was also probably planning to give the power to Rayfa so she could take over as queen immediately - she'd likely do whatever he needed her to anyway.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What was insensitive about the Newmann twist other than the fact that we didn't get to out a transperson like some people seemed to want?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

13/f/cali posted:

Did they ever explain (spoilers for the whole game) how they were able to conduct a murder trial for the Queen without the obvious issue that it wouldn't have been possible to perform a Divination Seance for her? Datz mentions that those used to be "just another piece of evidence" so they definitely still existed back then. Did Ga'ran just play it off like she didn't need one or something?
I thought they mentioned that it couldn't be performed and that was part of the reason Dhurke originally walked.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The point was that Inga believed it would be able to grant power, it doesn't matter whether it could or couldn't in reality. He was probably planning to give it to Rayfa so she could ascend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They really need Presto tracks and Argument/Rebuttal in the main games already.