Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm downloading this right now. Very excited to play it. :)

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CuddlyZombie posted:

Whenever I enter the DLC menu, the preparing meter fills up, then it goes back to the View Cutscenes gallery. I think something's broken :(
I seem to be having the same issue. Very odd.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mmmmm, ramen.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Case 2: "What's crack-a-lackin', homie?" killed me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

*Turnabout Sisters starts playing*

I'm not gonna loving cry.
I really like the new rendition.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

I just realized it seems the prologue anime doesn't have poo poo to do with poo poo (General/I guess Case 1)
Yeah that occurred to me earlier today too. Kind of reminds me of that promotional OVA thing for Virtue's Last Reward that ended up being different from the final game.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kazy posted:

Case 2 spoilers kinda:

Did anyone find it weird that people were honoring a contract signed by a minor?
A bit, though Trucy should have had one of the many lawyers she lives with at least look it over.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Payne family is the true blight on the legal system that must be abolished...permanently.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Man y'all are way ahead of me, I'm still on Case 3. :(

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm just about to start Case 3 Trial Day 2. Enjoying it so far.

Some big twists here. A legit Guilt verdict was surprising, though I'm guessing it will be undone by the end of the trial today. Also holy poo poo Apollo's step-father.

Also Rayfa owns and is the most adorable thing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Case 4 Trial 1: I didn't realize how much I've missed Simon. :allears:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Just finished Case 4. I like it overall. I think I had the most trouble with this one so far, if only because I just didn't know the difference between soba and udon noodles. I can see why people were saying this would have been a difficult case to localize- frankly I'm impressed it works as well as it does.

Also Simon being on Athena's side was fun. It was nice to see someone just be a dick to Sad Monk after he's been so smarmy throughout the rest of the game.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm in the very beginning of 6-5 and I clicked on something on the wall in the Doctor's office, but I couldn't see it clearly. The characters started going on about gravy. "This sounds...vaguely familiar" I think to myself.

I click over to the next screen to see what they were talking about and got hit by nostalgia. God dammit I'm supposed to be immune to nostalgia...and poo poo, it's even next to a coffee machine. :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

6-5 Trial 1 Holy poo poo Apollo & Athena vs. Phoenix in a CIVIL SUIT

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Terper posted:

Apollo's really starting to make a name for himself

OBJECTION!

That cannot be Apollo Justice, as he does not have Apollo Justice's distinctive antennae spikes. Just compare it to this photo!

Notice the spikes on the head? Ergo, the person on the billboard cannot be Apollo!

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 19, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I want to to take a moment to praise the blog of the localization director for these games, Janet Hsu. She writes a lot of great stuff about the thinking behind the production and localization of these games, and has recently been posting some good stuff about AA6 (I really hope she writes about 6-4 at some point).

http://www.capcom-unity.com/zeroobjections/blog

Her backlog of entries is really worth digging into IMO.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Quest For Glory II posted:

They forced her so that the game designers had one more puzzle for players to figure out bleehhhh

I honestly wanna know how the mysteries get written in these games, if they start from the murder itself and work their way back, or if they hop back and forth to check and balance everything
They sort of talk about how they wrote AA5 here: http://www.capcom-unity.com/zeroobj...enario-director.

It sounds like they come up with the basic idea and setting for a case first (One starting idea they didn't use, for example, was a man who murdered a doll (????)), and then work out puzzles that would fit into it.

They had a lot of weird ideas for AA5, it seems. At one point there was an idea about the main prosecutor being a 200 year old man that does not age.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

We can rest assured that no matter what poo poo Ace Attorney pulls, it's not nearly as bad as a 31 year old man aiming to propose to a girl less than half his age.
Oh it gets worse. In the Japanese version, Hotti was straight up a pedophile that wanted Pearl to come "visit" him.

This was changed for the localization, obviously. And for the better I might add.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Geiru Toneido has awaken something in me that should have remained asleep forever. :negative: other than that I'm loving this game. Case 3 was pretty great.
She's here to to represent the Toneido School with a twisty, twist, twiist! And BLOOOON!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gumshoe will be a victim in AA7. The killer? Poverty. His pay was deducted so much that he was forced into homelessness, unable to afford food any longer. Can Phoenix and Edgeworth team up to "turnabout" income inequality to prevent something like this from ever happening again? Find out in Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Crime Doesn't Pay (Because the 1% Has 90% Of The Wealth)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

:siren:

quote:

Speaking of Mr. Eguchi, he will be here next week to talk about the full-length Special Episode that will be available starting next Thursday, “Turnabout Time Traveler,” and what you can expect from it. In addition, I’ll be holding him accountable for the insane premise of Episode 4, “Turnabout Storyteller.” If you haven’t finished Episode 4 yet by next week, consider this an incentive to do so. That way, you can read all of the supplementary info I’ve wrung out of him in a special one-on-one exclusive interview! We’ll also have a closing from Mr. Yamazaki about the secret “secondary theme” of Spirit of Justice. So be sure to stop by one last time next week!
:siren:
Source: http://www.capcom-unity.com/zeroobjections/blog/2016/09/24/cloaks-and-scarves-gorgeous-3d-models-in-fluid-motion

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Finished 6-5 today...

It was a good conclusion to a good game. Really curious to see where the series goes from here, if the main story continues. Presumably Athena will get more focus, with maybe Apollo occasionally coming in a la Edgeworth in 2-4, 3-5 etc.

Back in 2008 I would have never believed anyone that told me that Apollo loving Justice would be one of the better characters in a game full of good characters, but they pulled it off! I like how Apollo's arc ultimately ended mirroring Nick's trilogy without completely repeating it, as many of us feared might happen back when AA4 was the newest game in the series.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

Also re: Nahyuta, his theme song is cool but it's way too heroic-sounding considering he's such a prick. The evil prosecutor turning the tide against you shouldn't sound like Kamen Rider just showed up to save the day.
All defense attorneys are scum that want to protect criminals (Some even forge evidence) so that's exactly what Nahyuta's theme should sound like.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm playing the first Asinine Attorney DLC and I forgot how loving terrible Edgeworth's Objection sounds now.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hey is this going to function as the general Ace Attorney thread now? I'm going to be playing some AAI2 now before the AA6 DLC drops, but I don't want to poo poo up the thread with irrelevant conversation.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 26, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm pretty sure Godot is just Kamiya after getting sucked into the Ace Attorney world.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think there's a Capcom Blog due this week (today or tomorrow??) where the localization director interviews one of the game directors specifically about this case alone.
I'm very excited for this blog entry and have been looking forward to it all week! It's going to own.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Finished AAI2-1. I thought it started out a bit slow, though once De Killer came onto the scene, things seemed to pick up.

Also, it's weird going back to sprites when the last three AA games I played were AA5, PLvs.PW, and AA6.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if DGS1 and DGS2 aren't released together as some kind of single game in the the West.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

People probably already know this but the DLC case is available for purchase/download in NA now.
It seems going to sleep isn't a thing I need to do tonight now so I'm going to go grab this.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Early spoilers: Upon seeing Edgeworth's car driving by, Maya immediately jumped in front of it. :stare:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

His fingerwag was really good too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Did you guys know that Apollo moderated the last Presidential debate?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Calico Heart posted:

I actually really like Apollo's response when you pick this: I should never judge anyone like that, and I'm sure she's a good magician. Good luck Bonny!

What a sweetheart!
Apollo is a nice guy.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So AA4/GS4 is now ten years old in Japan. It's weird to think that- it still feels like a new entry in the series to me.

It's certainly remained a controversial entry among fans of the series, though personally I'm in the camp that AA5 and AA6 makes at least Apollo a more interesting character in retrospect. Y'all have any thoughts on the game, now that its about decade old?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The big problem with AA4's final case to me is that we're working to defeat a guy we've already defeated in the intro case. It just all feels a little too bathetic.

The flashback stuff with Phoenix is at least interesting in concept.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Apollo Justice is the Raiden of Ace Attorney; his first game is uneven as hell but every other time he shows up he's awesome.
Apollo and Raiden were opposites for me.

I didn't care much about Apollo in AA4 but liked him 5 and 6. With Raiden, MGS2 was the only time I cared about him and I didn't care for any of his subsequent appearances at all.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I will say that 2-3 was where I started noticing "The killer is the last person you meet in the case!" pattern that these games seem to pull most of the time.

Ironically I can't remember if that actually holds for 4-3, but man gently caress 4-3 anyways.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Who actually likes Klavier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

When I came into the series in early 2008 (Jesus christ), there were already a million memes about it, the Objection generator was already a thing etc. It's hard for me to imagine like, playing 1-1 in a context before all of that stuff existed- makes me wish I knew more about the early history of the franchise's introduction into the US and such.

I'm still a little surprised the first game even was localized at all tbh.