Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I picked up Spirit of Justice for iOS yesterday, and it looks amazing—as good as DD did.

Except...something seems to be wrong with the music. Anytime there’s a track change, it just goes silent. There’s still the text noises, but otherwise no BGM.

Turns out a big part of my enjoyment of these games is the music. Anybody had this problem before and know how to fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Whatever issue was present with the music in SoJ resolved itself with a fresh install. Just beat case 2, which I thought was fantastic.

I'm eventually going to run out of games, though, which sucks. Is the Great Ace Attorney game that got released in Japan only worth playing? I don't really want to go through all the trouble of setting up a Google Play store account in Japan if it's not that good.

But if it's at least as good as, say...Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (which I thought was FINE, but not as good as the other 3 games I've played in the series) I'd be delighted to play it.

...and honestly I think I would've been FINE with AJ:AA if not for having to watch that stupid Guitar Serenade music video a billion times.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Ugh, I see the contradiction, but I can’t figure out what I’m supposed to do in the vision.

SoJ, case 3: The high priest clearly did a 180 while he had the scroll in front of his eyes. He is facing the broken lantern at the start of the vision, but the springside lantern at the end. Meaning Maya’s original position was where she was supposed to be, and the killer was standing in the fountain.

But I’ve tried selecting the broken lantern while the vision is saying anything about lanterns, and no luck.

What gives?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Nah, both of you thought I was earlier than I actually was. I'd already successfully pointed out that the footsteps didn't get any louder even while the incense got stronger, pointed out that we heard water (and thus assumed Maya was standing in the water), pointed out that the wind blew one of the flames which in turn made the lanterns clearer--which is how you prove the priest did a 180. Apparently I needed to point out the broken lantern while the statement was saying he fought his attacker near the intact lantern, even though there's no contradiction there. He did fight the murderer near the intact lantern. I'd been pointing out the broken lantern when the statement was saying he bowed to the 2 lanterns at the top, since THAT's the important part. Oh well.

It got worse later on when I pointed out that the witness couldn't have seen jack poo poo through the curtain, but did so using the "I saw Maya stab the dude" statement to contradict it instead of "I used binoculars to see" even though both "I saw" statements should've been contradicted by the curtain.

Anyway, on to day 2 of the case, even if I did technically lose the case earlier. I'm not going to feel bad about figuring things out but not doing it with the needlessly specific set of triggers that were demanded. I feel like in other games when there were multiple statements or pieces of evidence that'd work, it'd let you use any of them. Not so in this case.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

You're gonna have to remind me because I can't remember any instance of that.

OBJECTION! You'd only notice this when it wasn't working like that, since when it is working like that you sail through the case none the wiser that an alternate path was available.

PRESENT Apollo Justice's godawful the guitar's serenade case, where you can present the replica egg thingy to multiple witness statements in the same cross-examination saying something to the effect of "I had no motive to kill the victim."

Similarly, when talking to the same witness, you can present the newspaper saying that incuritis is an epidemic stateside to either witness statement saying something to the effect of "the previous way of dealing with the aforementioned object in my first spoiler doesn't work anymore.

It certainly doesn't seem to work that way in SoJ, though, since in Case 2 when Retinz/Reus was saying he didn't have ill will toward Trucy, I cited the contract, which was "wrong." Then I cited the trick clipboard, and Apollo immediately started talking about the bullshit contract that was signed on the clipboard, which was "right."

FairGame fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 17, 2019

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

It's even better because Von Karma fucks with Polly just on the off chance that you cross examine a loving bird

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

After all the trouble the 1st day of Case 3 gave me, I breezed through day 2 with only 2 mistakes. Great case, depressing as heck

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Just finished SoJ. Still have the bonus cases from DD and SoJ to play, along with the entirety of AA2 and AA3 (bought the trilogy a couple months back which was my entry into the series, but I burnt out entirely on the loving "rotate the blue badger jar" puzzle in a case that's just taking FOREVER anyway; I'll get around to finishing it eventually). Oh, and I still have both Edgeworth games so I guess I've still got plenty of #content.

But, as for SoJ...

I was a little disappointed in that last case. Wright vs. Justice on part 1 was great even if Paul Atishon was a stupid villain and obviously the appetizer before the Khurain finale. And the Dhurke twist was gutting and really well done. But so much of the motivations of the actual badguys didn't make sense. Such as...

Ga'ran: Why was she so desperate for the orb? Her being unable to channel clearly hadn't mattered to date, because her sister was a goddamned moron. She was already in power. She didn't need the orb. Also, given that the case Stateside was apparently televised, she should've known that using the orb required channeling so it was useless to her. Also, she kinda just stood there and never made good on her threat to execute the people who were legitimate threats to her power. Which, I mean...that's good since I love all the heroes, but it was just very stupid.

Inga: How did he even manage to get killed? His dumbass wife killed him NOT while channeling Dhurke, so how did she even manage to sneak up on him? Also, see the previous comments re: the orb; he should've known that he both couldn't channel AND couldn't recall the founder's face anyway thanks to his condition.

Amara: Why was she so easily convinced by her sister? What a loving idiot. She was running around as the old lady (I'm still not clear on if that was a disguise, or if she was just channeling an old woman in perpetuity) long enough to realize that both Inga and Ga'ran were evil as hell.

Prosecutor Sadmadhi: You were very boring and kind of a loser, and it took FOREVER to get you to grow a spine. Edgeworth and Blackquill (and Klavier, though he was kinda fine the whole time) came around a lot earlier, and they were also a lot more interesting.)

Basically, Apollo should just run the whole country because every member of the ruling family is either evil, an absolute idiot, or both. Or Rayfa, I guess, but she's like 14 so who cares.

In any event, the revelations in the final case just didn't make a whole lot of sense after the big reveal.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I just did DD’s extra case—the orca one.

Might be my favorite case in the series after von Karma/Edgeworth.

So many adorable characters, Blackquill is my favorite prosecutor, and a really good ending.

Only complaint was the final cross examination was REALLY weird about when to present the evidence.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I have played these out of order and now only have 2 and 3 of the main series.

And I’m on a circus case.

With a loving clown.

Who penalizes me if I press him during cross examination.

I hate this.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I hate 1-5. It's way too long, I have to watch the Blue Badger like 2390230932 times, Meekins is annoying, you have Ema who is strictly inferior to Maya, and the goddamned urn/Blue Badger puzzle is so goddamned touchy.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

What has Ema ever done that was good?

She's annoying and Not Maya in the one case where she's your assistant. In all subsequent cases that she appears you have to break her on the stand where it turns out she's actually really lovely at her job. And is also kinda mean to Apollo.

Bad assistant relative to Maya.
Bad investigator relative to Gumshoe who put his job on the line in 1-5 to help you. Maya doesn't do that in 6; she just kinda feels sad while still working with Nahyuta.

e: I mean, she's not "any Gramarye that's not Trucy" bad. But I don't understand why people like her when there are other characters who've been in her role and are absolutely better imo

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Simon is wonderful and I noticed in the DLC case that his bird laughs when he does.

Rescued case 4 of AA6 singlehandedly (though I liked the disassociative person too).

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

It’s a Souls game and you have to murder every male magician in the world.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

drat this thread coming back and my hoping it meant there was a new game announced. :(

Anyway still have AA2 and AA3 left to play but that stupid circus case has me not wanting to continue.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I'm still stuck on the farting clown who you get MASSIVELY penalized for pressing

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I also haven't played the 2 Japan-only things because I lack the relevant hardware.

And I don't think I'll like AAI though I bought the first one and it's sitting on my tablet for my next long flight.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Man, every now and then I see this thread pop up with like 40 new posts and I'm like "holy poo poo is there finally a new game?"

And it never is.

I could really use a new Ace Attorney right now, world.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

AJ:AA was fine except for that loving song

Dual Destinies remains my favorite, though. Even if it doesn't have a single case in my top 3; it also doesn't really have the clunker a lot of the others have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Every now and then I see this thread get a bunch of posts and I get hopeful, only to have my hopes dashed.

And now there are a bunch of posts and there's a couple of new(ish) games! I'm so excited.