Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mysterious loyall X posted:

the pop in is really bad and theres some anyone slowdown during the camera moves during fights . not a huge deal because it's dragon quest and not devil may cry 3 or whatever but still a little annoying. hopefully not so bad in dq8. the music is really good tho and the actual enemies look cute. AND the translation is really good so far iirc the orginial dq7 [i didn't play very far] had kind of a slipshod translation that didn't have much charm or personality like ff7's :twisted:

The original didn't have the fun translation that modern DQ portrays. This one so far is really nice and I love this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Black Baby Goku posted:

Not to mention final fantasy 15, SMT 4 apocalypse, and everything else. It's a great fall to be a gamer

i haven't even finished smt4

i've been slacking

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

oh what the gently caress

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I played an hour of this last night and got some odd wall glitches where it would fade into blue like the sky

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I can't wait to get this after work!!!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Oh poo poo, i remember renting this poo poo from blockbuster back in the day

The translation in this version is way better though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the pop in is really bad and theres some anyone slowdown during the camera moves during fights . not a huge deal because it's dragon quest and not devil may cry 3 or whatever but still a little annoying. hopefully not so bad in dq8. the music is really good tho and the actual enemies look cute. AND the translation is really good so far iirc the orginial dq7 [i didn't play very far] had kind of a slipshod translation that didn't have much charm or personality like ff7's :twisted:

the slowdown is apparently only in the English version, something with how the text is rendered. Possible the 3ds has the wrong kind of RAM for the font kerning they used LMFAO!!!!!!!! it may get patched

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

the slowdown is apparently only in the English version, something with how the text is rendered. Possible the 3ds has the wrong kind of RAM for the font kerning they used LMFAO!!!!!!!! it may get patched

wtf

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

squeenix got yospOWNED

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Time to first slime kill: about 90 minutes. Not bad compared to the original apparently

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

mine just came in the mail, i am unironically excited to grind 2 hours for a lovely sword :toot:

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Iwhat're your guys first thoughts so far. im thinking about buying this after work. choose your words carefully, 40 smackers hang in the balance

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Anyone feel like the volume balance in combat is weird? Messing with the settings seems to help but sound effects feel muted.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

rediscover posted:

Iwhat're your guys first thoughts so far. im thinking about buying this after work. choose your words carefully, 40 smackers hang in the balance

It's the scope of DQVII which might be one of the most JRPGs ever made melded with the aesthetic of DQVIII + a job system. The only thing I wish it had was tension system because I really liked that in 8 but I bet it probably wouldn't work with a job system.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Actually tension + a job system is Bravely Defaut, which also pwns.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

It's the scope of DQVII which might be one of the most JRPGs ever made melded with the aesthetic of DQVIII + a job system. The only thing I wish it had was tension system because I really liked that in 8 but I bet it probably wouldn't work with a job system.

the most what JRPGs ever made. anyways you've sold me. i hope Walmart carries it cause GameStop is closed

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Most massive* sorry. DQVII on PS1 was a 100 hour game to see credits and then twice that if you did all the post game stuff

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

A buddy of mine is on the fourth island and says there's still no jobs and he still hasn't seen a metal slime. Sounds like the slow burn of the original is still there in some ways. I don't mind it personally but just letting the ppl know.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Nintendo released a quick start guide to help get you through the beginning of the game to where class changes become available and it apparently covers the first 20 hours or so

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
This game sounds really cool and I kinda might buy a 3ds tomorrow

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah the slow burn tweak was basically just the opening chapter. It used to be like 2.5+ hours before battling something

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
If not for this then for the library of apparently amazing games I've missed out on

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Or at least that's what people said. DQVI similarly took like 15 hours before the job system unlocked and it was like "O_O the game has just started...." Awesome feeling

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

euum the original dq7 had a job system

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I tried to redeem that DQ7 theme in the eShop and it says I need to do it in the appropriate application... But there's no code redemption in DQ7 anywhere? Wtf

e: oh duh nevermind, it means the 3DS theme shop, which is separate. My bad

e2: oh cool there's a free SMT4: Apocalypse theme now

Lumpy the Cook fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 17, 2016

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i finished the first island

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

euum the original dq7 had a job system

Yeah I know. I never got far enough to unlock it though

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Just got home. Had to go to two fwiggin Walmarts to find a copy.. Time to get comfy.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I've always had some kind of OCD with RPGs like this where I like to talk to every possible town person and see what they have to say, and whether or not their dialogue changes throughout different parts of the game... Between almost every persons dialogue changing several times, and the party chatter, and the unique party chatter triggered after talking to certain people, I feel like trying to read all the dialogue in this would sincerely drive me insane.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I've always had some kind of OCD with RPGs like this where I like to talk to every possible town person and see what they have to say, and whether or not their dialogue changes throughout different parts of the game... Between almost every persons dialogue changing several times, and the party chatter, and the unique party chatter triggered after talking to certain people, I feel like trying to read all the dialogue in this would sincerely drive me insane.

Imagine translating it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Idk if anybody else does this but everytime I go to a town, even if it's just to talk to one person or buy a piece of gear, I stay at the inn if I can afford it. To stay in character

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Imagine translating it.

i only imagine the goon who almost killed himself because of translating trails in the sky

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ive got 0 plans for tomorrow so I may play DQVII for like 10 hours.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

This game is awesome

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Just finished up the first island. Judging from the amount of pillars in the Assembly Room, I think this game is going to be long.. Can't be quite sure though

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

got a crit against a slime, the dragon quest has truly begun

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm getting anxious to unlock job system because combat hasn't really changed in about 10 hours

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Ive got 0 plans for tomorrow so I may play DQVII for like 10 hours.

In Training posted:

combat hasn't really changed in about 10 hours
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

mycophobia posted:

If not for this then for the library of apparently amazing games I've missed out on

The 3DS is the best investment you'll ever make

• Locked thread