Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

In Training posted:

in the abbey theres a book that lets you know how to get all the classes except Hero. But if hero is like DQVI, only the main character can get it and you get it by just mastering a lot of classes.

Everyone can get Hero in 6 but it's so much grinding (Gladiator/Sage/Ranger/Luminary) that it's not really worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, they're the only way to keep cool poo poo like Thin Air and Multiheal since they overcompensated for people just sticking to the same combos in the PSX version.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
How hard as they to kill, that's insane for like half a metal king if there's no gimmick.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tfw you spend 20000 on a sword for the hero and he gets his great grandpas pirate sword an hour later...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

In Training posted:

metal king slimes stopped showing up in my metal king slime tablet so im thinking im going to have to capture 3 metal king slimes to make the grinding tablet and that the thought of doing that is making nervous

Do you need anything special to capture more than one monster, ive used that monster masher skill a bunch on guys I have one of already and it doesn't seem to work.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Yinlock posted:

still enjoying DQ7 a lot though, the, it helps that it's long enough that you really will fight a couple thousand battles unlike DQ6 which was normal sized but still required hundreds of fights

I kind of like 6's because it forces you to commit to a class tree, you'll have one advanced vocation mastered by the endgame and most of those are good enough to carry you. Also you keep your skills so you don't feel like you're loving yourself over by reclassing if you really want Thin Air, Multiheal or Monster Mashers taming skills.

In Training posted:

You need to move the monster you want to duplicate to a monster barn and then you can capture multiples of the same kind. The barns are next to the monster meadow entrance

Oh I thought you needed the habitats, thanks.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Yinlock posted:

good point but that kinda leads into the question of "why bother with the class system instead of static progression" though, I think 8 hit a good balance where everyone has a clear specialty but there's room to mess around with different stuff

Yeah the vocation system is definitely imperfect, 8's system was pretty cool except for how you just had to just know to not spread yourself too thin. 9's was the best compromise though, but they should really do an FF5 system where endgame fodder trash gives more points than earlygame bosses.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

rediscover posted:

how does 8's 'system' work? also aren't they releasing that on 3ds some time in the near future too

Basically every character can equip weapons based on their archetype and put points into the weapon tree as they level, as well as their "unique" skill tree (courage, sex appeal, ect) that give them increased attack power with those weapons and skills. So if you put enough points into Courage (hero's unique) you get unique skills like Zap and Omniheal, swords gives you falcon slash and miracle slash, scythe gives stealing stuff and multitarget instant death, ect. There's not a lot of weapon overlap, so you can have one character change depending on what you focus on, but characters never stop learning spells normally so it's more like a supplement to their innate talents instead of 3 having characters be their vocations or 6/7 relying on vocations to teach skills.

Sorry for the effort post.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Platinum King doesn't drop its gem? I know it's supposed to be rare as poo poo but it still seems easier to spam Hatchet Man and the recruit skill than to go through all that skill tree grinding.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The dragon radar is new too and I'd have probably missed a lot of fragments without it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I really like 7 but at the same time I'll appreciate the other games not being as long or having harder enemies. I'd probably have been really annoyed with the constant fights without ways to clear them in one round after 80 hours.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

elf help book posted:

how am i supposed to help the kid everyone thinks is a liar in present day vogograd

Talk to some dude in a house that mentions a trash heap under the mayors house, then get the other kids to let you in. Then everything will be okay forever.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah I bought one or two if I had the money, but it turns out you don't need equipment if everything dies before it can do anything and half your guys have Multiheal for bosses because vocations are so busted.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If the game is telling you you found everything, have you tried putting in every fragment you have in all the pedestals? The next island is Gröndal, maybe someone else can check what color that is since I'm in the ending.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Yinlock posted:

the random encounters DO get harder(there's an especially big jump during the last dungeon) but the game isn't very hard overall due to the job system. It actually used to be MORE exploitable, the psx version let you keep any skills from intermediate/advanced jobs. Though DQ in general isn't that difficult a series, 8 was the real outlier there because the tension system added a ton of strategy.

Also 2 where the 2nd prince had like 3 hp and died to a stiff breeze.

I felt like 6 was really hard compared to other dragon quests since the enemies had no problems using all the busted skills you had and was generally balanced around having two healbots for out of battle healing. But it feels like vocations were given way better skills than they should have to make up for not keeping their skills, like how paladin gets Multiheal and gladiators can oomph themselves.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hero is basically some good poo poo from literally every advanced vocation, along with the Zap spells and Omniheal. Champion has better strength and their last skill works on metal enemies but I'm cool with hero as a reward for all that leveling, plus it might be better than Druid for Maribel since it gives HP regen and a lot of spells.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Pablo Gigante posted:

Lame, but I think the original Japanese PS2 release had the midi tracks too

Yeah but they advertised that the Japanese 3DS version had the orchestrated soundtrack, so even if the music is better than the old midi ones it sucks that the composer went crazier and decided no one after 2015 could have it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The weirdest part is that even the smartphone version of 7 that came out a week after the us release doesn't have it. Composer just decided that he hated his orchestrated soundtracks in games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Pee Shy posted:

How long is the final stretch of the game once you revive god? I cant feel assed to go after the last 3 spirits

Like five more hours if you're at the point where the killing God sequence came up.

• Locked thread