Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
DON'T SIT YOUR STUDS

Another year of football is upon us, and with that comes a whole new round of start/sit questions. There are lots of cool people ready to give you smart advice, as long as you follow these rules.

1) Don't Sit Your Studs. You drafted them high for a reason. Let the player's ADP be your guide for the first 4 weeks or so.
2) Note your scoring settings. Is it PPR? Non-PPR? How many teams? Are there any wacky settings like counting return yards? Be brief but just specific enough for us to get the gist.
3) Present the options as simply and succinctly as possible. Don't write a novella about how you are on the fence about so-and-so because the weather conditions are yappity-yap and the guy defending him has a fungal infection. Get to the loving point so we can give our thoughts and move on.

I'll get the ball started here.

Pick one person out of this list as my RB2 (0 PPR, 10 teams, no flex, I have Eddie Lacy set as my other starter)

Matt Forte vs. CIN
Jonathan Stewart @ DEN
Jeremy Langford @ HOU
Derrick Henry vs. MIN

DON'T SIT YOUR STUDS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'll start it up.

Marvin Jones or John Brown?

Non-ppr

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Langford and Jones imo

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Gobias Ind. posted:

Langford and Jones imo

Jones for sure. That chemistry should translate to at least the beginning of the season. John Brown is still iffy on health, and there are "a lot of mouths to feed"

As for the RB, that's tougher. I think I'd go with Forte, as much as I hate Forte. The Jets are going to want to showcase him, Cincy's D is probably the worst of the group of 4 you presented. I don't like Henry because he's still second RB and while we expect him to emerge as a top play, that will probably take at least a few weeks, and from what I've read the initial gameplan is to lean on Murray when the team is up (which they should be against Minnesota). I don't like Stewart because A. He's Stewart and B. Denver. Langford is a close runner up, but I am nervous because, and please correct me if I'm wrong because this is purely from memory, I think Langford is better when rushing around the Tackles, which is where Houston is its strongest.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Gobias Ind. posted:

Langford and Jones imo

Agree. Here are a few Im wrestling with:

Pick 1 RB2:
Spencer Ware v SD
Frank Gore v DET
Ameer Abdullah @ IND

Also,

Matt Jones v PIT
Ameer Abdullah @ IND

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
5 PATD, -2 INT, Tyrod Taylor vs. IND or Kirk Cousins vs. PIT

Benne posted:

Pick one person out of this list as my RB2 (0 PPR, 10 teams, no flex, I have Eddie Lacy set as my other starter)

Matt Forte vs. CIN
Jonathan Stewart @ DEN
Jeremy Langford @ HOU
Derrick Henry vs. MIN

Forte seems like the best option. I think game script there is probably the best of the lot. I don't expect the Panthers to have a huge amount of success on the ground at Denver and there's always the Cam vulture problem at the goalline. Chicago/Houston could be incredibly ugly. I don't think there's much chance of a good script for Langford. Finally Henry's usage is such a question mark that I don't think you can start him week one when you've got another option. Plus the Vikings D looks like it'll be tough this year.

RCarr posted:

I'll start it up.

Marvin Jones or John Brown?

Non-ppr

Jones. Colts defense is gonna be garbage and there's distinct lack of clarity about target share in Arizona.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Guess I'll go with Forte then.

Veritek83 posted:

5 PATD, -2 INT, Tyrod Taylor vs. IND or Kirk Cousins vs. PIT

I'd lean towards Cousins, that game has shootout potential and Pittsburgh's defense looks like it'll be a wet tissue again.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Mikey Purp posted:

Agree. Here are a few Im wrestling with:

Pick 1 RB2:
Spencer Ware v SD
Frank Gore v DET
Ameer Abdullah @ IND

Also,

Matt Jones v PIT
Ameer Abdullah @ IND

1. Ware.
Abdullah still needs to show he's gonna get more than 5-10 touches per game. Gore might literally be a better blocker on Indy than any of their front 5. Ware is going to get work, and SD's defense seems suspect

also:
Yikes, not fun... But still gotta 100% got with Jones because I'll take a starting RB over a RBBC from a team that might just throw it 70% of the time.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I think I know the answers on this but i want opinions.

FLEX full ppr: Marvin Jones (v Colts) or Rawls (v MIA)?

Full ppr w/ 1st down bonus points RB2 (no flex in this league): Duke v(Eagles), Gio (v Jets), or Arian (v Seattle).

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 6, 2016

Goodtime Pancreas
May 31, 2007
Would like some opinions on most of my whole team, 12 team 0.5 ppr nfl
Rb L. Murray vs NO
RB Rawls vs mia
Wr B. Cooks vs oak
Wr Robinson vs GB
Flex D williams vs Was

On my bench for rbs have forsett vs buf, langford vs hou, and charmander vs Sd.

For wrs i have Diggs vs tenn and L Fitzgerald vs ne.

I'm happy with what I'm starting i think, maybe swapping Langford for Rawls?

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Need a flex, standard scoring.

C.J. Anderson vs CAR
Thomas Rawls vs MIA
Alshon Jeffrey @HOU
Donte Moncrief vs IND

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Goodtime Pancreas posted:

I'm happy with what I'm starting i think, maybe swapping Langford for Rawls?
I wouldn't. Miami sucked against the run last year, and Watt is most likely playing week 1.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Doppelganger posted:

Need a flex, standard scoring.

C.J. Anderson vs CAR
Thomas Rawls vs MIA
Alshon Jeffrey @HOU
Donte Moncrief vs IND

I would say Alshon qualifies under DSYS.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
In my dynasty league I'm going to have a headache figuring out who to put in my flex spots all year.

.5 PPR

I need to pick two from:

Matt Jones vs Pittsburgh
Kamar Aiken vs Buffalo
Devin Funchess vs Denver
Tajae Sharpe vs Minnesota
Jamison Crowder vs Pittsburgh
Bilil Powell vs Cincinnati

Leaning heavily toward starting Jones but no clue what to do for the second spot.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Rivers @ KC or Winston @ ATL?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I have that exact decision to make in a league and I'm going Rivers without really having to think about it too much.

ChuckBTY
Feb 14, 2012
Full PPR WR3:

Demetrius Thomas vs CAR
Donte Moncrief vs Detroit

Does DT count as DSYS? I'm not so sure with his QB situation.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
.5 PPR

Melvin Gordon vs KC or Ware vs SD?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Ware without a doubt. SD run Def is horrible.

Honkey Magoo
Jun 22, 2005
Preparing to not have Charles on week 1. Gio or Sims In full ppr?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I'd go Gio. He fills the same role as Sims but has a bit more upside since he could get the hot hand and take carries away from Hill in addition to his passing down work.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Need to pick a RB:

.5 ppr

Forte
Sims
Ware
Hill
Duke Jr
Riddick

Leaning Forte right now but Ware seems like a decent option.

ChuckBTY posted:

Full PPR WR3:

Demetrius Thomas vs CAR
Donte Moncrief vs Detroit

Does DT count as DSYS? I'm not so sure with his QB situation.

I'm leaning DThom here as a volume play. I'm somewhat biased against colts in ff though.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 6, 2016

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

12 team, 0 PPR.

We're in a 2 WR / 2 RB / 1 flex league. My WR options for flex are crap, so I'm trying to figure out which 3 RB from my 4 options to play for the 2 + flex.

Elliott (NYG), C.J. Anderson (Car), Spencer Ware (SD), DeAngelo Williams (@Wsh). I also have Bell, but he's not an option for obvious reasons.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards sitting Anderson because SD's run defense is so bad.

Zauper fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 6, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'd bench Zeke Elliott, but I wouldn't blame you benching CJ instead.

My thinking here is that Dallas is going to be down early and have to just give up on running for deep balls. As I type this out though I realize you could say the same thing about Denver v Carolina if Siemens poops himself on live tv.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
You didn't draft Zeke Elliott in the first round to sit him against the Giants' dogshit defense

Benne posted:

1) Don't Sit Your Studs. You drafted them high for a reason. Let the player's ADP be your guide for the first 4 weeks or so.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Benne posted:

You didn't draft Zeke Elliott in the first round to sit him against the Giants' dogshit defense

Seconding this. If you are even considering sitting your first round pick in week 1, you've made a terrible mistake.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Tanneyhill @SEA or
Prescott v NYG

6 pt /pass TD
1 pt / 25 yards

I'm thinking Tanneyhill because he should get more passing volume. Although I can see Dak running one in himself against a worse defense.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

Zauper posted:

12 team, 0 PPR.

We're in a 2 WR / 2 RB / 1 flex league. My WR options for flex are crap, so I'm trying to figure out which 3 RB from my 4 options to play for the 2 + flex.

Elliott (NYG), C.J. Anderson (Car), Spencer Ware (SD), DeAngelo Williams (@Wsh). I also have Bell, but he's not an option for obvious reasons.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards sitting Anderson because SD's run defense is so bad.

Definitely Anderson.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

The Zack posted:

Tanneyhill @SEA or
Prescott v NYG

6 pt /pass TD
1 pt / 25 yards

I'm thinking Tanneyhill because he should get more passing volume. Although I can see Dak running one in himself against a worse defense.

Don't start average/below average QBs @ Seattle.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

12 team PPR, need an RB2

Blount @Ari
Woodhead @KC
Gio @NYJ
CMike vs MIA

Actually leaning Blount right now because with Brady out and him as the clear lead back I feel like he gets fed. Don't like the matchup though, and it's a PPR league, so maybe I'm outthinking myself. If so, is the preference Woodhead or Gio? CMike is not a real option unless Rawls is unexpectedly ruled out.

--------------------

And another league. 0.5 PPR, 12 team

Need an RB2

Ware vs SD
Jennings @DAL
Gio @NYJ
Abdullah @IND

And a flex

Any of the above, or Larry Fitzgerald vs NE.

Currently leaning Ware and Fitz, but I'm tempted to try to get Jennings into my lineup.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

RCarr posted:

Seconding this. If you are even considering sitting your first round pick in week 1, you've made a terrible mistake.

I'm not really thinking about sitting Zeke, I'm thinking about Anderson vs Ware/Williams, just being completionist.

Sounds like the general consensus is to sit Anderson, though, as I had been planning.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Stick with:

New England D/ST @ Arizona

Or pickup Philadelphia D/ST vs. Cleveland at the cost of dropping one of the following: Theo Riddick, Charles Sims, or Zach Miller (Dwayne Allen is primary TE).

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Need to pick a RB:

.5 ppr

Forte
Sims
Ware
Hill
Duke Jr
Riddick

Leaning Forte right now but Ware seems like a decent option.

I'm leaning DThom here as a volume play. I'm somewhat biased against colts in ff though.

Ware should eat the chargers D alive. Follow thy instincts.

Gobias Ind. posted:

12 team PPR, need an RB2

Blount @Ari
Woodhead @KC
Gio @NYJ
CMike vs MIA

Actually leaning Blount right now because with Brady out and him as the clear lead back I feel like he gets fed. Don't like the matchup though, and it's a PPR league, so maybe I'm outthinking myself. If so, is the preference Woodhead or Gio? CMike is not a real option unless Rawls is unexpectedly ruled out.

--------------------

And another league. 0.5 PPR, 12 team

Need an RB2

Ware vs SD
Jennings @DAL
Gio @NYJ
Abdullah @IND

And a flex

Any of the above, or Larry Fitzgerald vs NE.

Currently leaning Ware and Fitz, but I'm tempted to try to get Jennings into my lineup.

Gio x2. Cmike is ahead RIGHT NOW on an unofficial chart. We'll probably see a committee week 1. At least that's what I'm betting owning Rawls in a few leagues.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RCarr posted:

To be fair, I was the one suggesting a benching for Zeke, he was just listing RBs on his roster.

Please don't use my bad advice giving as a reason to skip my start/sit help request though.* :ohdear:

*I figured it just got skipped not actively ignored.

e; thanks ^^^^

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Gio x2. Cmike is ahead RIGHT NOW on an unofficial chart. We'll probably see a committee week 1. At least that's what I'm betting owning Rawls in a few leagues.

Gio over Fitz, I presume? I think Ware is a must start.

I was simultaneously happy to get Gio in these leagues and hate owning him, because I never feel good about starting him.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Gobias Ind. posted:

Gio over Fitz, I presume? I think Ware is a must start.

I was simultaneously happy to get Gio in these leagues and hate owning him, because I never feel good about starting him.

1st game Gio
2nd you're right Ware. Blount isn't that good even if he gets overfed.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Pick 3 Full PPR with return yards

Keenan Allen @KC
Jarvis Landry @SEA
Jordy Nelson @JAX
Golden Taint @IND
Marvin Jones @IND

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Top 3. Allen/Landry are PPR monsters and Jordy is gonna get force-fed even if he isn't back to being Jordy.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Spoeank posted:

Top 3. Allen/Landry are PPR monsters and Jordy is gonna get force-fed even if he isn't back to being Jordy.

Thanks, that's what i was figuring, but was also considering rolling with Golden over Landry due to matchup especially with Vontae injured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aellisr
Oct 11, 2007

Alveolar fibrosis don't give a damn.
T.Sharpe v Minnesota
-or-
C.Michael v Miami

Leaning C Mike, actually completely falling on him, but still wanted to see what the consensus is. 0.5 PPR league, Mariota is my QB2, so if Sharpe does something remarkable then I'll still have some exposure towards it.

• Locked thread