Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Starting this month, DC Comics are putting out a line curated by My Chemical Romance lead singer and writer of Umbrella Academy, Gerard Way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrgx-I-LTGc

The four comic initial line-up is headed up with Way's own 'Doom Patrol', a comic who's radical reinvention by Grant Morrison in the late 80's and early 90's paved the way for DC's much celebrated mature comics line, Vertigo (more on them in a sec.) A similar revival at the time was Peter Milligan's 'Shade, The Changing Man', which is also getting a new spin here, and Cave Carson is an ancient and forgotten DC hero getting dug up in that Vertigo tradition, so the influence is pretty obvious with this thing.

Here's Grant Morrison making a cameo in an old MCR video to shoot Gerard in the head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTgnDLWeeaM&t=203s
He's probably the dude for the job.

The comics!

DOOM PATROL

Written by Gerard Way, art by Nick Derington
Begins September 14 2016

quote:

A blenderized reimagining of the ultimate series of the strange, DOOM PATROL combines elements from classic runs, new directions, and things that could not be. Our entry point is Casey Brinke, a young EMT on the graveyard shift to abstract enlightenment, with a past so odd that she’s not entirely sure what is real and what is not. Along with her partner, Sam Reynolds, the pair blaze a path through the city and its denizens, finding the only quiet that exists at 3am is the chaos of the brain. When the pair answer a hit-and-run call, they find themselves face to face with a familiar figure: Cliff Steele, AKA Robotman.

SHADE, THE CHANGING GIRL

Written by Cecil Castellucci (The P.L.A.I.N. Janes), art by Marley Zarcone (Effigy, Forgetless)
Begins October 5 2016

quote:

Far away on the planet Meta, Loma's going nowhere fast. She's dropped out of school, dumped her boyfriend, and is bored out of her mind. She longs to feel things. That's where her idol, the lunatic poet Rac Shade, and his infamous madness coat come it. Loma steals the garment and makes a break across galaxies to take up residence in a new body: Earth girl Megan Boyer. Surely everything will be better on this passionate primitive planet with a dash of madness on her side and this human girl's easy life. Only now that she's here, Loma discovers being a teenaged Earth girl comes with its own challenges and Earth may not be everything she thought it'd be. Megan Boyer was a bully whom everyone was glad was almost dead, and now Loma has to survive High School and navigate the consequences of the life she didn't live with the ever-growing and uncontrollable madness at her side. Not to mention that there are people back on her homeworld who might just want Shade's coat back.

CAVE CARSON HAS A CYBERNETIC EYE

Written by Jon Rivera & Gerard Way, art by Michael Avon Oeming (Powers)
Begins October 19 2016

quote:

Cave Carson has done it all: survived countless adventures below the Earth's surface, met the love of his life, and gotten a cybernetic eye...somehow. After he and his wife, Eileen, sent their only daughter Chloe off to college, Cave was ready to become just another mundane member of the surface world. That is, until Eileen got sick. Newly widowed, Cave tries to piece his life back together when a knock on the door of his secret underground lab pulls him back into a past that he and Eileen thought they had left buried deep within the Earth.
Adding to his troubles, Cave must determine if his recent hallucinations and visions are the work of his mind or his mysterious cybernetic eye. (Spoiler: It's the eye.)
Including in a backup, the real star of the show…
SUPER POWERS
Written and drawn by Tom Scioli (American Barbarian, Transformers Vs. GI Joe)!!!

Details are slim on exactly what this is. Presumably just Scioli going nuts on DC.

MOTHER PANIC

Written by Jody Houser (Faith), art by Tommy Lee Edwards (Marvel 1985, Bullet Points, Turf)
Begins November 9 2016

quote:

Meet Violet Paige, a celebutante with a bad attitude and a temper to match, who no one suspects of having anything lying beneath the surface of her outrageous exploits. But Violet isn't just another bored heiress in the upper echelons of Gotham City's elite. Motivated by her traumatic youth, Violet seeks to exact vengeance on her privileged peers as the terrifying new vigilante known only as Mother Panic.

Now let's see about Vertigo it's self.

Last year Vertigo released a number of limited series including the wonderful 'Twilight Children' from Gilbert Hernandez and Darwyn Cooke (RIP), Tom King and Mitch Gerads' 'Sheriff of Babylon' and 'Unfollow' from Rob Williams and Michael Dowling, as well as Paul Dini's fantastic autobiographical Graphic Novel "Dark Night: A True Batman Story'

Despite some high acclaim for these comics in particular, interest and sales were reportedly much lower than expected, which resulted in long time editor Shelly Bond's controversial firing.
http://www.comicsbeat.com/vertigo-restructures-shelly-bond-let-go/ http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/21/waking-up-to-a-vertigo-without-shelly-bond/
The future is certainly uncertain for Vert. As the remaining 2015 series are winding down, there hasn't been news of a whole new slate to replace them, however there are at least one imminent original series, a sequel to a cult classic film, and a spin-off of good ol' Fables heading our way.

FROSTBITE

Written by Joshua Williamson (Birthright, The Flash), art by Jason Shawn Alexander (Abe Sapien: The Drowning)
Begins September 28 2016

quote:

Long after Earth has entered its second ice age, humanity has learned to cope with the frozen elements. In this cold and bleak future, heat is power, and brutal gangs roam the icy wasteland looking for it. If that wasn’t enough, a terrible disease nicknamed “frostbite” is literally freezing people from the inside out. Once you catch it, the effect is instantaneous. There is no immunity, there is no cure.

Until now. Doctor Henry Bonham and his daughter Victoria have found the key to ending frostbite. If they can get from Mexico City to a secret government outpost in Alcatraz, they could stabilize life across the globe. But to do that they’ll need to stay alive. That’s where Keaton comes in. She and her crew have faced worse journeys before, but never with the potential consequences this one poses if they fail.

THE LOST BOYS

Written by Tim Seeley (Grayson, Hack/Slash) art by Scott Godlewski (Copperhead)
Begins October 12 2016

quote:

Santa Carla, California is on edge. The eccentric coastal town and haven for the undead was finally returning to "normal" after its last supernatural scuffle left the local coven's head vampire dead and gave newcomers Michael and Sam Emerson a housewarming both violent and bizarre. Now the brothers must once again team up with militant vampire hunters Edgar and Allan Frog when a new gang of ruthless, stunning, life-sucking nightcrawlers known as the Blood Belles emerges from the aftermath to collect Michael's love interest and their lost sister, Star.

EVERAFTER

Written by Matthew Sturges & Dave Justus, art by Travis Moore
Begins September 7 2016

quote:

From the team that brought you FABLES: THE WOLF AMONG US comes a new chapter of the FABLES legacy! In a post-Fables world where magic abounds, it can be wielded for the greater good or used to plant the seeds of anarchy and terrorism. The Shadow Players are a global network of agents-both Fable and mundane-tasked with policing a newly enchanted world and protecting humanity from itself. EVERAFTER features the return of series favorites Bo Peep, Peter Piper, Hansel, and Connor Wolf, as well as exciting new characters and a terrifying new villain! Written by FABLES: THE WOLF AMONG US veterans Matthew Sturges and Dave Justus with gorgeous art by Travis Moore (Fables: The Wolf Among Us, JLA All Stars), you won’t want to miss this series that FABLES creator Bill Willingham himself told us we had to get into your hands as quickly as possible!

Meantime, read Sheriff and Unfollow, ya dummies!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

While we wait, Comixology just posted a handy digital sale on Morrison's Doom Patrol, Milligan's Shade, and some minor appearances with Cave Carson

https://www.comixology.com/Intro-to-Young-Animals-Sale/page/11917?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw&list12883_pg=1

Doom Patrol reading club? I just finished the Morrison omnibus today and think I'll go right back to the My Greatest Adventure start. Then maybe give the post Morrison Vertigo issues a fair shot.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 6, 2016

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'll dip back into Morrison Doom Patrol for a quick refresher sometime. Let's have some fun.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Is Clean Room still going on? Heard that was a solid new Vertigo title.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

Is Clean Room still going on? Heard that was a solid new Vertigo title.

It's got three more issues solicited. That and Unfollow are still going past November. I thought it was pretty interesting, but dropped off.
There are more of last year's books worth looking at, but I wanted to keep it brief.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
EverAfter sounds kinda neat, and I'm playing TWAU, and it reminds me how much I liked the Fables world at least at the beginning. Likelihood it'll be worth checking out because it's not Willingham?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Doom Patrol and Mother Panic are the YA books Icm interested the most. I'll probably pick up Cave Carson just for Super Powers.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Is Survivor's Club officially shot?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Is Survivor's Club officially shot?

It ended with #9.

Anyone pick up Everafter? Looking here it seems to be getting good reviews http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/vertigo/everafter/1

Some great new Young Animal variants just got revealed http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/08/31/exclusive-first-look-dc-comics-october-young-animal-variant-cove/

Mike/Laura Allred for Doom Patrol #2 with the original, team featuring Beast Boy.

Tula Lotay for Shade #1

Bill Sienkiewicz for Cave Carson #1

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 8, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I won't lie, I'm probably gonna pick up new Doom Patrol entirely because the band I really liked as a moody teen's lead singer is writing it. The rest of the Young Animal imprint actually looks really good, though (especially Mother Panic); what should I read to get ready for Way's DP?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Morrison's Doom Patrol and Way's Umbrella Academy.

You'll get a sense of the silver age DP in some flashback at the end of the run (and that stuff isn't on Comixology anyway.)

Way's said his comic is a mish-mash of the whole history, but I kinda doubt any of the more recent stuff will factor in.

e: In fact, with a gray haired Crazy Jane in the ads in this month's comics, I'd say reading Morrison's is highly recommended.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 9, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I expect it to be mostly just Morrison and some silver age references.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Shade #1 preview http://www.cbr.com/shade-the-changing-girl-1/

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Interesting that Shelly Bond is the editor. Wonder how long that will go for

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Ugh the Vertigo Shade was a very dark, mature and intellectual story. I hope they aren't now turning it into some "Batgirl of Burnside" teeny bopper bullshit

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Considering I, at best, extremely disliked Batgirl of Burnside I think the pages of Shade look a whole lot better than BoB and doesn't tonally at all feel anything like BoB.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Those pages look more surreal than anything else to me.

I mean, a comic that starts off with a young, teenage girl being killed and having her body taken over just screams lighthearted fun for young teenage girls.

Roth fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 10, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Have you tired Snotgirl? It has a completely saccharine girly appearance which hides a really dark story. No reason this couldn't be similar.
Though I could dig it just being light and colourful too.

Doom Patrol preview http://uproxx.com/entertainment/gerard-way-doom-patrol-exclusive-preview/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 11, 2016

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Ugh the Vertigo Shade was a very dark, mature and intellectual story. I hope they aren't now turning it into some "Batgirl of Burnside" teeny bopper bullshit
The POV character for the first year or so of Milligan's Shade the Changing Man was a teenage girl. Here's the first page of the first issue!

I do so hope they don't let stinky loving stupid girl poo poo infect this DARK MATURE AND INTELLECTUAL STORY of a Sphinx with JFK's head and wacky gender bending at a hotel and a giant baby and talking alligators, the one perfect true vision of a DARK MATURE AND INTELLECTUAL STORY.

Also seriously, are you the American Dracula that used to write for Wizard World? Your weird hatred of change and very strong feelings about woman and minorities make this seem like a reasonable question.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Well, I'm off to go read 45 issues of Doom Patrol.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Speaking of which, here's a preview for Doom Patrol #1: http://www.cbr.com/preview-doom-patrols-return-with-eight-pages-from-issue-1/

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I'm at the beginning of Doom Patrol and I'm already worrying that this is Bad Morrison (or rather, Morrison Toxxupation Doesn't Like), where it's a bunch of super complicated concepts that felt written less to make an impact over "a thing Grant Morrison thinks is cool or super clever".

ed: If Cliff wasn't the main character I probably woulda quit this comic by now. As it stands his "Wow this sure is dumb crazy bullshit, I'm just gonna punch my way through it" attitude is the only thing keeping me going.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 11, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If the opening arc is too much nonsense for you, oh boy.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh no. You know, after hearing that Doom Patrol is "X-Men but super dark" (yes, yes I know that the latter was actually based off the former) I was hoping it'd center more on character relationship stuff and not double down on all the stuff I don't like about X-Men, namely all the crazily overcomplicated canon that feels just there for its own sake.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The canon, like the history of the team? That's barely there. It just starts off picking up from the previous volume killing everyone off (or something. I haven't actually read the previous 18 issues.)
The bandage guy was a pilot merged with some negative energy spirit, one girl is in a coma, I think and the black dude used to be a superhero and now refuses to use powers. It definitely doesn't bog the thing down going forward. I'm sure 99% of people hadn't read any Doom Patrol before this run.

I thought you were being put off by cut-up technique scissorman dialogue and such, which would be a worrying prospect.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I thought you were being put off by cut-up technique scissorman dialogue, and such, which would be a worrying prospect.

Actually that's what I meant, like I'm strongly resisting rolling my eyes whenever the word "Orqwith" is mentioned. Canon was the wrong word, I meant more "plotting". I like Jane but I'm already getting the sense that she's the "as plot needs must" superhero - and that's one of the tropes of superhero comics I least like - Rebis is actually pretty cool, but it feels like all the character moments get crowded out by overwrought text boxes with Capitalized Nouns.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
If your first reaction to Doom Patrol is to engage in literal plot analysis and try to break things down into "canon", you just might be fundamentally broken as a human being. This is a noted side effect of having read too many crossovers and lovely event comics. You will find that it's actually a very linear and straightforward book when you stop trying to decode every scissorman dialogue balloon and just roll with the energy of the thing.

The world of the Doom Patrol is not rational, nothing fits together quite right. It's a beautiful, strange roller coaster ride into the subconscious where the only logic is dream logic. Doom Patrol is not a melodramatic soap opera like the X-Men, but it is entirely about the characters.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah after reading issue 25 - which was the first issue that worked on its own merits and I greatly enjoyed - I'm getting what sort of angle Morrison's demanding this comic be engaged on and can appreciate it on its own merits of being a surreal mess of ideas over a straight-line linear narrative like I've seen of all his other DC work.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Okay I got to The Painting That Ate Paris (which was an arc I greatly, greatly enjoyed) and I thought I sorta got the specific wavelength that Morrison's DP is operating on and it finally felt like it was clicking, where you just sort of let it wash over you and ignore all the nonsense words and phrases and explanations as the surreal nonsense it's trying to be, but then I got to that arc where it's that war and that was some of the toughest issues of comics I've ever read. Like, that arc of comics felt barely intelligible and like Morrison just stringing a bunch of words together in a rough version of a sequential order.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
The war in space arc? I think it's pretty commonly regarded as the low point of the book. It takes awhile to get going and is a little heavy on the ratio of exposition to humor which probably leaves it feeling out of balance with the rest of the book. That said I think it reads a lot better the second time around when the allegory is made clear. You can see that it's a kind of prototype for later meditations on transcending Manichaean dualities that he'd revisit in Invisibles, JLA, Superman Beyond, etc. Part commentary on comics obsession with interpreting text as scripture, part externalization of Morrison's first experience with shrooms. It's got one of those great fourth wall moments where the cardinal of the Insect Mesh says a prayer of communion to try and summon the Divine into their world and ends with a close-up of the cardinal staring out at the reader to "gaze upon thy majesty!" (Heaven revealed to be our world, of course) It's cool.

Anyways he writes the rest of the book "mostly straight" and it should pick up for from there. The improvisational style of the book means it's kind of uneven by nature but its all worth reading and the ending is fantastic.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I meant the war where Cliff temporarily turns into a spider and it's resolved by both sides in a frantic race to destroy more elements of their culture.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Yeah that's the one.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Picture of Robotman as he tries to figure out what's happening in the current issue.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's his Tim Allen impression.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I finished Morrison's Doom Patrol. The final two issues are loving great, the final arc is loving wondrous to the point where it validates reading the whole run, but man alive is that a long and difficult road to travel to get there. I guess I end up feeling about Morrison's DP the same way I feel about his Batman run - where I'm split at best about it with some real frustrations with specific arcs within the run, although I enjoy and think the end to his DP run is a whole hell of a lot better than Batman, Incorporated volume 2.

It's weird though that I've found his failures in DP to not be like his failures when writing Batman or rear end or FC, where they're overly convoluted or complicated-for-complicated's-sake messes of story and internal theming, but when DP is unreadable - and it very, very often is - it's because it's an incomprehensible Dadaist nightmare where it literally feels like Morrison just randomly threw a bunch of barely-related words onto a page in something resembling sentences. It's just weird. Again, though, the ending being as strong as it was and his ability to essentially pull off two of them, one for the story and Cliff and another for Crazy Jane is some really impressive stuff. So yeah, guess I'm glad I read it, although this continues to be yet another Grant Morrison work I have mixed feelings about.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Now it's time to barge Flex Mentallo before the new comic's out :)
https://www.comixology.com/Flex-Mentallo/comics-series/20769?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI

edit: Doom Patrol #1 verdict: great fun

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 14, 2016

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Yeah... Doom Patrol was just the sort of thing I wanted. Looking forward to Shade too, based on the preview.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Loved it.

Niles Caulder is being loving weird, Cliff has had enough of your pocket universe poo poo, and I really like these new characters. The backwards ambulance text suggests that Casey is in some kind of dream world. When Cliff triggers the nuclear apocalypse he flings himself into her reality, and Danny through the window of the celestial superhero. Are the Brotherhood of Fast Food a part of Casey's world, or some other dimension? Is it all just a song on Niles Caulder's piano? I don't know. There are layers to this thing. Like a burrito.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Equilibrium posted:

Loved it.

Niles Caulder is being loving weird, Cliff has had enough of your pocket universe poo poo, and I really like these new characters. The backwards ambulance text suggests that Casey is in some kind of dream world. When Cliff triggers the nuclear apocalypse he flings himself into her reality, and Danny through the window of the celestial superhero. Are the Brotherhood of Fast Food a part of Casey's world, or some other dimension? Is it all just a song on Niles Caulder's piano? I don't know. There are layers to this thing. Like a burrito.

Are you basing your dream world theory on the fact that the word "ambulance" is mirrored on the vehicle in the opening pages, or was there other backwards text that I missed? Because the former is a common feature on ambulances, at least in the US, to allow the word to be read legibly through a rear-view mirror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Huh, TIL. That makes sense.

• Locked thread