Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I didn't like Morrison's, but the new Doom Patrol was decently fun even though I have no idea what's going on. The fast food people remind me of the multidimensional corporation from The Authority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Doom Patrol is shaping up to be everything I was hoping it would be.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Loved it. Main character being a paramedic was great.

Why can't I find a hip Doom Patrol shirt? All I can find on Amazon is a classic tee.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just slap the gyro sticker on a plain white T :)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The "Who hired you? "Nobody..." line has the potential to be a little ominous.

Also, laughing at the little details, like how the garbage truck that hits Robotman was full of stuffed animals.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Edge & Christian posted:

The POV character for the first year or so of Milligan's Shade the Changing Man was a teenage girl. Here's the first page of the first issue!

I do so hope they don't let stinky loving stupid girl poo poo infect this DARK MATURE AND INTELLECTUAL STORY of a Sphinx with JFK's head and wacky gender bending at a hotel and a giant baby and talking alligators, the one perfect true vision of a DARK MATURE AND INTELLECTUAL STORY.

Also seriously, are you the American Dracula that used to write for Wizard World? Your weird hatred of change and very strong feelings about woman and minorities make this seem like a reasonable question.

What the hell are you talking about?

She was 23 years old at the BEGINNING of the story and stuff like the kennedy sphinx had a deeper meaning it wasn't just for the sake of being wacky like you seem to think.

I'm not from wizard and actually hate that magazine. Funny coincidence though (except I don't have any "strong feelings" towards women)

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 18, 2016

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Alucard Nacirema posted:

(I don't have any "strong feelings" towards women)

I'm sure you just haven't met the right person.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I have strong feelings towards women. They're pretty great. Especially when they surprise me by telling me they're taking me on vacation.

Totally stealing that shirt idea. Until DC does the right thing, I'm going to wear a gyro shirt.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You try it yet, Toxx?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doom Patrol? Yeah, loved it. Carried over the dreamy quality of Morrison's run while actually feeling grounded and specific, and unlike a lot of Morrison's DP the humor didn't feel weirdly atonal or by accident.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye #1 preview http://www.newsarama.com/31181-preview-cave-carson-has-a-cybernetic-eye-1.html#s1

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Vertigo-60-Off-Sale/page/12447?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Anybody check out Frostbite? The first issue came out today, and based on that I think I'll keep up with it for at least a few issues.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Doom Patrol was hot loving garbage that missed everything about the themes of Morrison/Case run and tried to play it with random zany bullshit instead.
For all idiotic mission statements about "the new fringe of comics", it just reads stale compared even to random issues of 20+ years old vertigo titles.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Every run of Doom Patrol seems to be drastically different (Maybe less so Morrison-to-Pollack, but that was in the same series).
Known as Way is for worshiping GMo, I'm glad this isn't really an imitation of those comics.

e: Like, I'm starting with the Pollack run now. It's not bad, but the obvious attempt to carry on Morrison's storytelling style makes me wish it had more of it's own voice. Hopefully that eventually emerges.

How were John Arcudi and John Byrne's versions, by the way? They're missing from Comixology along with the original run.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 29, 2016

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I don't think not being an imitation should earn you anything when you still tie yourself to classic characters and ignore any emotional component. It mostly feels like any failed remake of a John Carpenter movie, just a coat of modern gloss on a hackwork exploiting a recognizable "IP".

John Arcudi run had two issues drawn by Seth Fisher which is always a plus.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Getting more Seth Fisher artwork might be a problem.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dave Barry books posted:

Getting more Seth Fisher artwork might be a problem.

Well Way commisioned Brian Chippendale for a variant cover, Doom Patrol drawn by him would've been ace even with Way as a writer

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

fatherboxx posted:

Doom Patrol was hot loving garbage that missed everything about the themes of Morrison/Case run and tried to play it with random zany bullshit instead.

Actually it was great. And you are putting on some heavily rose-tinted glasses if you don't think the Morrison run was full of random zany bullshit like, all the loving time. There are periods of the Morrison run where it's so very clearly Morrison making it up as he goes along it becomes nearly unreadable.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Actually it was great. And you are putting on some heavily rose-tinted glasses if you don't think the Morrison run was full of random zany bullshit like, all the loving time. There are periods of the Morrison run where it's so very clearly Morrison making it up as he goes along it becomes nearly unreadable.

It was always either funny, clever or had a thematic point.
You won't ever see anything like BEARD HUNTER from the aging emo band vocalist who doesn't have a sincere thought in his skull.

"lmao gyros lollllll"

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 2, 2016

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Gerard Way already did his take on a Morrison-like Doom Patrol, it's called Umbrella Academy and it's good. Doom Patrol 2016 is a self-conscious attempt to do something different without retreading the same ground. What exactly that is remains to be seen after all of 1 issue.

fatherboxx posted:

the aging emo band vocalist who doesn't have a sincere thought in his skull.

I don't even know what could inspire this kind of vitriol. Are you having a bad week?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm sorry he was in a band you don't like :(

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Equilibrium posted:

Gerard Way already did his take on a Morrison-like Doom Patrol, it's called Umbrella Academy and it's good. Doom Patrol 2016 is a self-conscious attempt to do something different without retreading the same ground. What exactly that is remains to be seen after all of 1 issue.

Umbrella Academy was good because it had actual emotional core around a broken family and a very competent artist to establish a unique visual style. Both things are missing from this title.

quote:

I don't even know what could inspire this kind of vitriol. Are you having a bad week?

looking forward to corey taylor discovering a passion for comic writing.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
It really was terrible, apart from what little we saw of the villains. The last page in particular could lead somewhere interesting, or it could collapse under a pile of incredible horseshit; too soon to tell but from what I've seen so far, probably the latter.

GM's Doom Patrol may have wacky dumb bullshit sometimes (the Sex Men are still deeply embarrassing) but from his very first issue, he established that there was going to be an emotional core. What we get from the protagonists this time around is a bunch of dumb stoner philosophy and a completely nonchalant treatment of the (apparent, and rather horrific) death of the woman's roommate. "Verrrrrry interesting! ... can I have his stuff?" Hahaha! Why, how wacky and free-spirited!

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

minimalist posted:

It really was terrible, apart from what little we saw of the villains. The last page in particular could lead somewhere interesting, or it could collapse under a pile of incredible horseshit; too soon to tell but from what I've seen so far, probably the latter.

GM's Doom Patrol may have wacky dumb bullshit sometimes (the Sex Men are still deeply embarrassing) but from his very first issue, he established that there was going to be an emotional core. What we get from the protagonists this time around is a bunch of dumb stoner philosophy and a completely nonchalant treatment of the (apparent, and rather horrific) death of the woman's roommate. "Verrrrrry interesting! ... can I have his stuff?" Hahaha! Why, how wacky and free-spirited!

Man, if only there was an explanation in the text as to why Casey might have a nonchalant attitude towards extremely weird and gruesome things happening to people in her vicinity. (There is. That whole thing about her mother flying into the sun, and her prom date turning into, and I'm gonna directly quote the book here, "a pool of lavender membrane". Pages 5 and 6.) Then there's the way the Casey pages put an extra emphasis on onomatopeia, which might clue you in to the fact Way, Derrington, Bonvillain and letterer Todd Klein are deliberately playing up the comic-book artificiality of what's happening, so as to highlight that something is off about this world.

If you're not gonna pay attention, if you're not gonna engage with the book, it might not be the thing for you. To dismiss what's there as "wacky dumb bullshit" is missing a lot of what makes that issue good.

PS: My Chemical Romance is about as sincere a band as there ever was. "I'm Not Okay (I Promise" is meant to be taken absolutely seriously. It's melodramatic, for sure, but, it's entirely earnest.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Oh poo poo, how did I never figure out that that world might not be real after the point was driven into the ground repeatedly! poo poo poo poo poo poo!!! Good catch!!!!

You're right, my bad, that totally makes the characters tolerable and interesting and still not out of place for someone who at least recognizes the reality of the world enough to have some instinct to help (ambulance driver, collecting Cliff's parts) and engage with people. It's not like one of the themes of the GM series was that, regardless of the absurdity surrounding the characters, they find things to care about and hold onto them, regardless of how unreal they may or may not be.

It's entirely possible that the series arc may plan to draw her out of herself and motivate her to care, but the Manic Pixie Dream Girl encounter doesn't exactly help.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Doom Patrol #1 is the best comic i've ever read in my 25 years of reading comics. #Comicofthedecadeconfirmed

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

LOVED Shade Girl. Maybe more than DP, but that's still getting it's self together.
The contrast between the super goofy Alien teens and the serious, troubled Earth kids story is really good.
Also, there's a little Gilbert/Natalia Hernandez and Laura Allred backup comic.

Aces.

edit: New Vertigo miniseries announced. 'The American Way: Those Above and Those Below', a sequel to '12 Years a Slave' writer John Ridley's original 'The American Way.'
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/05/john-ridley-american-way-sequel

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 5, 2016

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Is this the thread to talk about the new run of Lucifer comics that's come out recently? Because I've been enjoying the hell out of those.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yup. This is the Vertigo thread.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Really enjoyed Shade, but ( and this is probably due in at least some part to the fact that I've never read a shade comic in my life) it felt at time pretty goddamned incomprehensible to the point where I was rereading entire pages. Gotta stress that I really enjoyed it though.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Yeah, I'm coming into all the Young Animal books with no prior knowledge too and I'm at least going to give them the three issue test, I do think they'll need to be read a few times to really stick though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm just imagining a new reader experience, but I don't think it's unapproachable, or gives you too little.

There's a planet where the creatures have a basic romanticized/50's sitcom view of Earth. There was a guy/hero/poet who'd previously used this technicolor dream coat to interface with the planet, but he's viewed as an old irrelevant folk tale/museum piece except to this one teen who's way into it.
She jacks the costume and takes on the life of a comatose Earth girl, but a force of 'madness' comes with the process that effects the world around her.
Back on the planet, some lady in authority who you don't need to know was Shade's original love interest yet is concerned.

\/ Oh, I'm sure the madness/reality shaping is influenced by the user/host's own mindstate. Like, that lady in charge is probably gonna be able to chase after her without making stuff wacky.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 6, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh madness is that reality bending stuff? I thought it was literal insanity expressed via reality bending, like the idea was you could throw on the trenchcoat and be anyone you wanted but the monkey's paw of it all was that its make you go nuts, which is made worse via the reality bending.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Shade was crazy but I really enjoyed it, can't wait to see where this goes

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Shade was really good. I like the fresh angle it's taking on the protagonist's character; instead of being a wounded romantic like Shade, she's a bit shallow, selfish, not particularly creative or poetic (that we've seen so far), but wanting to understand the world through other people's art and at least capable of some desire for connection. A lot of interesting potential for character development there; the high school backdrop makes perfect sense as a setting for a search for identity. And the book's depiction of the Madness is fabulous.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The original Shade run(well, most of it) was one of my favorite comics ever and despite any previous hesitance I was really satisfied with The Changing Girl. I noticed that in a hypothetical alternate world where Doctor Who never came back in 2005 you could change a few things and have Loma be a teenage Time Lord who stole the TARDIS after growing up idolizing the Doctor. I like that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

From the YA Comic Con panel
http://www.newsarama.com/31408-nycc-16-dcs-young-animal-panel.html

quote:

Doom Patrol #2 has a variant cover by Mike Allred. "Mike and Laura are amazing," Way said. "Mike is also going to be doing a fill-in issue of Doom Patrol, that is going to kick off the second arc... that's going to be a lot of fun."

:toot:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh god I just realized that Marvel basically can't put out a new Young Avengers comic ever again or the confusion will be enormous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

the confusion will be enormous.

Nobody seems to be thinking in terms of brand name awareness around this project.
DC just solicited a family friendly comic called "Super Powers," the same title as Tom Scioli's backups, and the name "Young Animal" itself should have been nixed after a routine Google image search :nws:https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=%...iw=1069&bih=942 :nws:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 8, 2016

• Locked thread