Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

WickedHate posted:

The original Shade run(well, most of it) was one of my favorite comics ever and despite any previous hesitance I was really satisfied with The Changing Girl. I noticed that in a hypothetical alternate world where Doctor Who never came back in 2005 you could change a few things and have Loma be a teenage Time Lord who stole the TARDIS after growing up idolizing the Doctor. I like that.

If you are referring to the Milligan series thats actually the second run. The first is by Steve Ditko. Then the character had a stint in John Ostrander's Suicide Squad for awhile before merging with the prisoner that kickstarted Milligans run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I wish they'd do a proper trade run of Shade, TCM, I've not read it but it sounds really cool, and I've liked every Vertigo book I've ever read.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I wish they'd do a proper trade run of Shade, TCM, I've not read it but it sounds really cool, and I've liked every Vertigo book I've ever read.

Honestly if you read the three existing trades and stop you'll have read the best of it. The middle third dawdles in that 90s Vertigo navel-gazing way, although is at times interesting, and the final third feels like Milligan was told to come up with 20 more issues. I don't mind books about unlikable characters but the last 3rd was largely about unlikable, uninteresting characters.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone get the new American Vampire anthology?

edit: Or Lost Boys?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 13, 2016

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Nobody seems to be thinking in terms of brand name awareness around this project.
DC just solicited a family friendly comic called "Super Powers," the same title as Tom Scioli's backups, and the name "Young Animal" itself should have been nixed after a routine Google image search :nws:https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=%...iw=1069&bih=942 :nws:

Yeah it is the magazine with the new Berserk chapters

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Can we take a moment of appreciation for the little Caulder intermissions in Doom Patrol? I love them and I'm so glad they're a running thing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mother Panic #1 preview
http://www.newsarama.com/31560-early-preview-gotham-s-newest-vigilante-mother-panic-complicates-batman-s-life.html

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Things that I'm declaring a permanent moratorium on in DC comics:

1) Reduxes of the first couple of pages of Year One
2) Reduxes of the first page of rear end
3) Reduxes of the suicidal girl page of rear end
4) Reduxes of literally any segment of Watchmen
5) Reduxes of "the" fight sequence in TDKR

That being said, Mother Panic looks good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Cave Carson was just okay. I'm not yet a fan of this Powers artist guy and the story wasn't too interesting yet, but the last page reveal could certainly promise something more.

The Super Powers backup was the biggest let down for me. I was expecting amusing, weird, self contained vignettes, but we get two stories across three pages that just end terribly abruptly without any punchline, so I guess it's not exactly going to be that.
I suppose he's just building the world bit by bit and it'll pay off, and his takes on the characters are visually quite interesting (dandy Wonder Twins, Joker's face is in a mallet), but so far it was sadly flat.
If it was a bit longer than three pages, that might have helped.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My friend got the Gerard Way cassette today, and my shop found a way to get me one for $10. Thought we'd have to have a death match over the one.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

We'll see about the story, but Mother Panic looked amazing.
Now that Doom Patrol is settling into it's plot threads, I dunno if it's as exciting for me as it seemed in the first issue with concepts flying all over the place with little explanation, but the Danny Comics portion in today's issue was great.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I really enjoyed Mother Panic and Doom Patrol.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
It could get neat. Not fully drawn in yet.
Violet's gauntlets look goofily huge though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2016/11/10/season-2-the-sheriff-of?sf41971950=1

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Really liked Cave Carson this issue, as well as the backup. I can't hate on Flippa Dippa investigating the Rock of Eternity.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Do we get to see more Metal Men? I think that's going to be the dealmaker for me

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DC's digital BOGO sale covers Vertigo and Young Animal. Pile up.
https://www.comixology.com/DC-Buy-One-Get-One-Sale/page/13251?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Unless my eyes deceive me, that's going to say Khorasan.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Really enjoying Young Animal's lack of a continuity wall as opposed to the weird Vertigo split

Like Doom Patrol drawing from Morrison was no duh but directly mentioning Keith Giffen's run was unexpected

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think Shade might end up edging out above Doom Patrol for me. It keeps going back and forth with each new issue, but I think I'll know for sure by the end of the first arcs.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New Vertigo series from Justin Jordan.
http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/1181371-exclusive-jordan-moustafas-savage-things-comes-vertigo

quote:

2016 may be winding down, but Vertigo Comics is getting ready to kick off the new year with a bang! CraveOnline is proud to exclusively announce that writer Justin Jordan (The Legacy of Luther Strode) and artist Ibrahim Moustafa (High Crimes) are teaming up for Savage Things, a new eight-issue miniseries from Vertigo!

But who or what are the Savage Things? Within the world of this series, a secret organization within the U.S. government identifed children who displayed the potential to be remorseless killers over 25 years ago. The decision was made to kidnap these children and turn them into the ultimate agents of chaos who could destablize countries around the world while remaining hidden in plain sight. And in our first look at Moustafa’s pages from Savage Things # 1, we see one of the kids as he is recruited into something that will change his life forever
When the story picks up in the present, the surviving children of the program are still very much active and against the government that turned against them and attempted to eliminate them as well. Now, the only hope for the U.S. is to recall “Abel,” the only man to ever successfully get away from the program. Of course, that’s assuming that he’s willing to save us.

“I’ve always loved spy thrillers and horror, but I haven’t seen a lot that melds the two genres,” shared Jordan in a statement. “We’ve seen in the real world how easy it is for a handful of people to bring the gears of civilization grinding to a halt by spreading shock and fear. Those are amateurs. Imagine what we’d get if there were a group of people—brilliant, gifted people—whose entire lives had been training them to spread fear to destabilize a society. That was horrifying to me. Terrifying to me. And that’s what Savage Things is about. It’s about the weapons we create being turned on us.”

“Justin and I are aiming to deliver a high level of intrigue and excitement, with a flavor that is unique to Vertigo and the comics medium,” added Moustafa. “As a visual storyteller, I have drawn a lot of inspiration from comics like Scalped, The Losers, and Sleeper. Additionally, my love of movies like the James Bond films, The Bourne Identity, John Wick, and Hanna will be evident as well. On top of that, we are honored to have John Paul Leon doing covers for the series.”

Savage Things # 1 will be released in comic shops and through digital outlets on Wednesday, March 1, 2017.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
From the Green Arrow origin page: "Use trick arrows." :allears:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

This week's cave Carson was great again. Wild dog being a just a bland crazy guy is fantastic.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Anybody know what's up with Doom Patrol? There wasn't an issue last month, and it''s not coming out this month either apparently.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

January 25th (slipping from the original Dec 14th date) at last report
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/12/28/doom-patrols-gerard-way-thanks-understanding-things-take-little-extra-time/
http://www.dccomics.com/comics/doom-patrol-2016/doom-patrol-4

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Well, that's 17 books I'm going to be getting on the 25th. My poor wallet.

Roth fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 6, 2017

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Decided to catch up on Shade. Book's really good. Despite the very whimsical art style, there's some pretty dark stuff at play. I'm looking forward to the rest of it. I also got the two most recent Cave Carsons, but the first issue wasn't available at my LGS, so I'm waiting on it arriving from ebay before I actually read the whole series in depth. From what browsing I'd done though, it looks pretty fun and weird, so I'm hoping it can live up to my expectations. Not sure how I feel about the look of Mother Panic, and taking place in Gotham is not really a plus for me. Not sure if Doom Patrol is even at my store, but I guess if they're only publishing quarterly anymore, it's easy to keep up with that title.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Shovelmint posted:

Not sure if Doom Patrol is even at my store, but I guess if they're only publishing quarterly anymore, it's easy to keep up with that title.

It's not. Just delayed.

In April, we get guest artists for everything except Cave Carson, which gets Superman instead.
http://www.newsarama.com/32735-allred-sauvage-superman-what-join-gerard-way-s-young-animal-in-april-2017-solicitations.html

Mike Allred Doom Patrol!

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I know it's not supposed to be quarterly, but I don't know how reliable Gerard Way is. Either way, I ended up buying every issue of all the Young Animal series, and enjoyed them all thoroughly. I'll keep up with all 4 series if they continue to entertain me. $15ish is a bargain for a month's worth of these.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Did anyone end up finishing Fables? I decided one day I should actually check it out and finished it up just today.

My major thought is that Bill Willingham has some nutso politics and it was really annoying every time he brought it up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You'll never get those moments of your life back. You should have asked before resuming though, not a lot of people here have anything good to say about the back half of fables.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Most folks I know recommend stopping after the Great Fables Crossover at the latest, I think.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

AHHHHH!!!
http://www.avclub.com/article/allred-family-pays-tribute-jack-kirby-young-animal-250254
The Bug: The Adventures Of Forager. From Lee, Laura and Mike Allred!

a miniseries bringing back this dope from Kirby's New Gods.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Forager, last seen as a sexy bug lady that Jimmy Olsen banged in Countdown to Final Crisis

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I liked Mother Panic this week quite a bit. The art's still the strongest part about the book, but I feel like I'm getting more interested in learning more about the title character.

Cave Carson was ok. I really can't say anything one way or the other about it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Teenage Fansub posted:

AHHHHH!!!
http://www.avclub.com/article/allred-family-pays-tribute-jack-kirby-young-animal-250254
The Bug: The Adventures Of Forager. From Lee, Laura and Mike Allred!

a miniseries bringing back this dope from Kirby's New Gods.

I uh, wouldn't have guessed they'd do any of that, with that lineup, if you'd held me at gunpoint demanding reimagine Kirby ideas.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno. Fits to me. Allred's all about oddballs.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It's odd, out of all the books I'm getting at the moment, the only ones that I'm really jazzed about are Paper Girls and Shade. Speaking of, really dug the wrap up to this arc, as hokey as it is as an idea, the weird alien girl triumphing through the power of friendship just works. Although is she pregnant with her host bodies evil self now? WTF, etc.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I realize this isn’t an unusual opinion to have, but wow is Sandman is a really good comic.

It’s like watching Godfather, or Cowboy Bebop, or playing MGS3 and fully getting why they get so much praise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
I enjoyed Grant Morrison's run of Doom Patrol. I loved Umbrella Academy. I like that the new run is something different from the two, yet still captivating.

Roth, the interesting thing about Sandman, is that in spite of everything said about how good it is, it really is quite good.

• Locked thread