Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The best part about doom Patrol is it uses all but the lovely Byrne run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed the Arcudi Doom Patrol quite a bit, even though [because] it was basically like 22 issues of infighting, failure, and weirdness. Very little actual super-teaming, even when they were doing exactly that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Shovelmint posted:

I enjoyed the Arcudi Doom Patrol quite a bit, even though [because] it was basically like 22 issues of infighting, failure, and weirdness. Very little actual super-teaming, even when they were doing exactly that.

I honestly forgot all about this and haven't seen a reference to this series yet.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Young Animal's on my pull list for the first 6 of each series, then I'll wait for sales.
This plan has only led to more fun each Wednesday. DC made a series of good calls with this imprint.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone try Savage Things?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyone try Savage Things?

It was ok. Maybe I should give it a re-read because I already forgot what happened in that first issue.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Roth posted:

It was ok. Maybe I should give it a re-read because I already forgot what happened in that first issue.

Not really a spoiler but a gman goes around recruiting kids who complete the serial killer triad

It was a decent start anyways

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Space Fish posted:

This plan has only led to more fun each Wednesday. DC made a series of good calls with this imprint.
I am really enjoying all 4 series, and will be giving the new stuff a chance. I wasn't that big of a fan of Way as a musician, but as a comic imprint curator, he's done great things. On a related note, I picked up his Killjoys run in a bundle from the clearance of my LGS for $8, I'm hoping it ends up good.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So uh I just read Keith Giffen's run to prepare for this, because Morrison's Doom Patrol is still my favorite comic.
People actually liked this comic? People actually thought this was a good use of Morrison's stories? People actually thought mr. nobody smashing the toys face in was good comics and not just the usual dc trash? I really hate Dc comics at this point and this run was full of reminders why.

I like the new young animal comic alright but I kind of wish they'd just have started a new continuity with a similar ideas and themes instead of continuing to drag out a long and confused continuity with characters who don't really have anywhere to go now. Make some original new characters with super powered injuries. I just really don't like continuity and passing characters between writers at this point.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Hemingway To Go! posted:

So uh I just read Keith Giffen's run to prepare for this, because Morrison's Doom Patrol is still my favorite comic.
People actually liked this comic? People actually thought this was a good use of Morrison's stories? People actually thought mr. nobody smashing the toys face in was good comics and not just the usual dc trash? I really hate Dc comics at this point and this run was full of reminders why.

I like the new young animal comic alright but I kind of wish they'd just have started a new continuity with a similar ideas and themes instead of continuing to drag out a long and confused continuity with characters who don't really have anywhere to go now. Make some original new characters with super powered injuries. I just really don't like continuity and passing characters between writers at this point.

Yep I liked it.

Edit: I'm thinking about dropping Shade. 6 issues in and the art is gorgeous, but I'm not thrilled by the story.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 22, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm not sure Giffen's run carries much acclaim at all. All you'll ever hear about is the Morrison's and maybe the original.
e: Saying that, I'd really like to try Arcudi's series. That's the one they don't care enough to put on Comixology.

Mr Hootington posted:

Edit: I'm thinking about dropping Shade. 6 issues in and the art is gorgeous, but I'm not thrilled by the story.

I'm really looking forward to the storyline shifting to Gotham next act.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 22, 2017

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

As of today's Doom Patrol issue, yeah, still going strong here. Not 5/5 all-time greatest run or anything, but it's been funpredictable.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I think I've seen literally one person claim to love Giffen's run.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You should definitely read John Byrne's run next

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I think I've seen literally nobody claim to love Byrne's run.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Byrne's run is the only one Way DP doesn't acknowledge and I love that

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: Saying that, I'd really like to try Arcudi's series. That's the one they don't care enough to put on Comixology.

I picked up the whole run on ebay for like 20 bucks as a bundle

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

hup posted:

I didnt love it but it was pretty fine mos tof the way thru (though i wish they'd just avoided Mr. Somebody because it was pointless). I did love how they ended it, though. Having Ambush Bug tell the villains the book was cancelled and they just decide "Oh, never mind then. See ya!" and walking away from the teased fight was such a bizarre way to end the book.

fake edit: "Cancelled? How? No, I have no clue what a Didio is!"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Doom Patrol is on hold after issue 6 (the Mike Allred drawn one) until further notice.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/29/gerard-ways-doom-patrol-cancelled-6-now/

I'm guessing the art can't keep up and we'll get someone new. Shame.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

Doom Patrol is on hold after issue 6 (the Mike Allred drawn one) until further notice.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/29/gerard-ways-doom-patrol-cancelled-6-now/

How has it been selling? Is it at risk of cancellation?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I can't imagine it sells any worse than the rest of the YA line. If nothing's happening to them, I wouldn't worry about it.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

gently caress

YA is my most-bought stuff from DC, so I really hope it's not indicative of a trend

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
It's indicative of the trend that Doom Patrol can't hit its deadlines. They'll get someone more on the ball. At my shop, at least, Cave, Doom Patrol, and Shade all have a decent number of people with it on their pull list, Mother Panic is less so, but still higher than stuff like Blue Beetle, Birds of Prey, or Hellblazer.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

From the YA panel at Wondercon, Doom Patrol #7 will be released in July.

And Bug will kick off an event later in the year which will tie the comics together in some way.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/31/young-animal-crossover-coming-fall-young-animal-gerard-way-wondercon-panel/

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Catching up on Shade #7 and WTF TEACUP?

Poor Loma. Looking forward to seeing her complete her Earth To Do list though. And I wish Marguerite Sauvage could illustrate every issue, good grief. It was absurdly gorgeous.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DC's putting out a YA 'mixtape' for Record Store Day that consists of a picture disc record with Way's Cave Carson songs, and an exclusive Mike Allred drawn mini comic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSmZ7ESAMCn/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSnS4SQAPdH/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bug preview
http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2017/04/11/dc-preview-bug-the-adventures-of-forager-1/

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
oh man buddy blank

give me that young animal omac

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

This looks, sounds, and reads amazing.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

That is supremely my poo poo.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

hup posted:

Was it me, because I loved Giffen's Doom Patrol.

It was way more of a Keith Giffen comic than a Grant Morrison comic and it was sort of smashing up a bunch of Morrison detritus with Giffen detritus with general DC detritus so jumping from 1993 Grant Morrison to 2010 DC Universe is undoubtedly jarring but I'd take that over whatever sort of tone-deaf cover band thing going on in the current DP book any day of the week.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Crazy pumped for Bug. I was just gonna finish reading New Gods as prep, but I heard Cosmic Odyssey is referred to, so I'm finally getting on that too.
I'll be delayed for a few days, but Mike Mignola Fourth World isn't the worst homework!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Was horrified to pick up the new Shade and see that Loma's fled to the absolute worst place she could possibly choose: Gotham. Even Middlesbrough would be a better bet.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Is there any reason to believe Mother Panic will improve after its first arc farted out?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just popping in cause the best cover on earth just got revealed in solicits.

edit: This one's no slouch either.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 19, 2017

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Line-wide Vertigo sale on Comixology for 60% off, use coupon code "VERTIGO" at checkout.
Just used it and the discount applied to latest issues of series.

Velcro Crucifix
Oct 7, 2013
I LOVED the second issue of Bug. It's exactly the slapdash collection of DC history I was looking for in YA.

I really dug the look of the robots.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Mike Allred is swell.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I am loving Bug. Forager spoiling the ending of WWII was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Young-Animal-Sale/page/15492

Morrison and Pollack Doom Patrol, Milligan Shade and the first three issues of the YA comics (first issue for Bug)

• Locked thread