Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The weird portion of the nineties when dark stuff like beetlejuice and Tim Burton was high on the hog

This show was super weird even for Nick, every person zim interacts with is sick, coughing, or something. Everything is grotesque.

The sky is red.

They're walking around downtown and all the architecture is brutalist and the ambience of the city isn't traffic and people but artillery fire and bombs going off with screams occasionally

Then the tv ads are fitting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSPjNOcmiww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBbNUbknh6k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Like most things, the show was good but the fans are trash

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

never saw the show but JtHM was great

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i have incredibly vague memories of watching the show but because i was like 5 i don't remember anything beyond how dark it was

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i liked this show because i too am tall

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i liked the part where zim shoved alien tech up the hall monitor's rear end

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Sentient Data posted:

Like most things, the show was good but the fans are trash

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i respect invader zim for what it did that was idk transgressive or revolutionary or whatever but the whole 2 EDGY thing really hasn't aged very well. also it basically has the aesthetic of Hot Topic which has not only aged terribly but attracts the worst people

i dont really understand how gothic managed to transform into the weird raver/scene kid thing that exists today. like instead of BLACK its BLACK/NEON and candy colored bracelets n cloths n poo poo and i have no clue how it went from broody teens with a sludge metal garage band to broody teens listening to skrillex

Qadaffi Taffy
Oct 1, 2006

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510
It was a good show but I definitely remember eating dinner while watching the show and getting stuck to my stomach due to the imagery. There is some gross poo poo animated in that show.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

nigga crab pollock posted:

i dont really understand how gothic managed to transform into the weird raver/scene kid thing that exists today. like instead of BLACK its BLACK/NEON and candy colored bracelets n cloths n poo poo and i have no clue how it went from broody teens with a sludge metal garage band to broody teens listening to skrillex
i blame Blood on the Dance Floor, personally

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Cross-pollination of subcultures... a byproduct of the internet age.

Any subcultures that develop nowadays are to a certain degree still subject to the trends and influences of internet culture (or at least take inspiration from it), instead of developing and growing in their own little bubbles, separate from each other like it used to be. Kids who are still forming their self-image, fashion sense and musical tastes are able to peruse a smorgasbord of different things online, so they naturally pick and choose the parts that they like, and it takes things in odd directions as those kids get older and start making their own cultural waves.

symbolic posted:

i blame Blood on the Dance Floor, personally

Case in point, that poo poo is such an amalgamation of influences that it's hard to tell where one begins and another ends. And it suuuucks

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i have no clue how it went from broody teens with a sludge metal garage band to broody teens listening to skrillex

it didn't, electronic dance music has been popular in various parts of the goth scene since the 80's. theres nothing "sludge metal" about early skinny puppy or front242. also p much none of the bands popular in the goth scene have ever been sludge metal so im not sure what you are even talking about

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 6, 2016

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

is this post from 10 years ago

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

i dont really understand how gothic managed to transform into the weird raver/scene kid thing that exists today.

If by 'today' you mean 2004. I don't think anyone does goth at all anymore, even the lovely raver invader zim version. Goth continued to mutate and dilute until it went up in a cloud of vaporwave and kitschy satan hailing. For better or for worse, the internet basically melted every scene together.

Unless you are like 35, in which case you still dye whats left of your hair black whenever Skinny Puppy happens to go through your town.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Jhonen Vasquez was peak trenchcoat matrix edgelord.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Do goths under 30 even exist anymore?

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Tricky D posted:

There was a goth squad of teenagers that used to mope around my own up until a couple of years ago. This is Ireland so we don't really get trends until about 10 years later when the market is super saturated and you won't be beaten to death for looking like a weird queer. We're really only getting Hipsterism now, to be honest.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Invader Zim was mostly awesome, especially the Christmas episode.

But, yes, the fanbase was trash. C'est la vie.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I think maybe one of the darkest episodes was where Zim gorges himself on assimilated organs stolen from dozens of children. Hard to believe they got that on Nickelodeon.

Also a case of head pigeons

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Tricky D posted:

"VampireFreaks.com" still exists and looks like it's signing more new users than SA is.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Earwicker posted:

also p much none of the bands popular in the goth scene have ever been sludge metal so im not sure what you are even talking about
y'know, all those goths, sitting around, listening to Acid Bath and High on Fire...

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

lohli posted:

"VampireFreaks.com" still exists and looks like it's signing more new users than SA is.

I'm unfamiliar with VampireFreaks.com. Is it a dating site for people who pretend to be vampires?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
It was/is myspace for goths.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

MSPain posted:

Unless you are like 35, in which case you still dye whats left of your hair black whenever Skinny Puppy happens to go through your town.

As a 36 year old balding Skinny Puppy fan... yes.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I completely forgot about this show but now I remember watching some episodes.

I vaguely recall my sister and I cracking up about an episode centered on toys. Something about a grappling hook beak?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

lohli posted:

It was/is myspace for goths.

I must be way out of the loop then because I thought myspace was/is for goths.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

wuffles posted:

I think maybe one of the darkest episodes was where Zim gorges himself on assimilated organs stolen from dozens of children. Hard to believe they got that on Nickelodeon.

Also a case of head pigeons
At the very end, the school nurse takes his vitals and says something like "Such a healthy young boy! So full of organs."

That was literally the first quote I thought of when I saw this thread title.

e:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I vaguely recall my sister and I cracking up about an episode centered on toys. Something about a grappling hook beak?
I don't know the episode title but I believe it's the one where some random kid lies about his name being Clarence Wong to buy the last Game Slave 2 despite Gaz ahead of him in line and then she stalks him and steals his batteries. She definitely uesd a grappling hook at some point.

...my childhood was absolutely wasted, why do you ask?

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party

wuffles posted:

Seems pretty tame compared to Ren and Stimpy.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
It's on Hulu

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TheWeepingHorse posted:

Invader Zim was mostly awesome, especially the Christmas episode.

But, yes, the fanbase was trash. C'est la vie.

The truth.

Honestly Zim's my favorite all time show. It was the first show I ever really watched as a kid. Everything else I'd catch on re-runs, but Zim was like, I gotta watch it when it airs, VHS tape that poo poo no matter what. My 10 year old self was super sad when it ended. My 21 year old self was tempted to go to the convention just to meet the voice cast, but I decided not to. Glad I did after seeing videos. Making Richard Horvitz sign panties, asking Jhonen what he thinks about the idea that teen girls fantasize about raping him...yeah. Also the place was filled with kids, which was awesome, but uh, yeah probably best I didn't go. I did meet Jhonen though. He was nice. I asked him how his day was, and thats it. It was a fine exchange.

I still love this show's dumb social commentary. It's like the most basic poo poo, but it cracks me up every time. Just putting balloon noises and pigs while people do people poo poo will never not be funny to me.

The comic is pretty good too. I'm diggin it a lot. The one thing I was wondering about when it was announced was, considering they don't have Nick breathing down their back, would they make it all violent and super gross? Thankfully they didn't and the only thing they really do differently is threaten death rather than saying destroyed.

Also vagina ships.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The Sad Sad Tale of Chicken Foot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr3SsBQI5Xo&t=172s

which also has this poo poo which cracks me up every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7S1Pm_2N2k

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party

CelticPredator posted:

Also the place was filled with kids, which was awesome, but uh, yeah probably best I didn't go.

Why don't you go ahead and have a seat?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

The truth.

Honestly Zim's my favorite all time show. It was the first show I ever really watched as a kid. Everything else I'd catch on re-runs, but Zim was like, I gotta watch it when it airs, VHS tape that poo poo no matter what. My 10 year old self was super sad when it ended. My 21 year old self was tempted to go to the convention just to meet the voice cast, but I decided not to. Glad I did after seeing videos. Making Richard Horvitz sign panties, asking Jhonen what he thinks about the idea that teen girls fantasize about raping him...yeah. Also the place was filled with kids, which was awesome, but uh, yeah probably best I didn't go. I did meet Jhonen though. He was nice. I asked him how his day was, and thats it. It was a fine exchange.

I still love this show's dumb social commentary. It's like the most basic poo poo, but it cracks me up every time. Just putting balloon noises and pigs while people do people poo poo will never not be funny to me.

The comic is pretty good too. I'm diggin it a lot. The one thing I was wondering about when it was announced was, considering they don't have Nick breathing down their back, would they make it all violent and super gross? Thankfully they didn't and the only thing they really do differently is threaten death rather than saying destroyed.

Also vagina ships.

You'd think being a comic book rather than animation that he would put more effort into his drawings...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVMIc0D8G-Y&t=288s

notZaar posted:

You'd think being a comic book rather than animation that he would put more effort into his drawings...

He hasn't drawn any of them. He just writes a few odd ones here and there.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 6, 2016

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Pls don't doxx me

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Earwicker posted:

it didn't, electronic dance music has been popular in various parts of the goth scene since the 80's. theres nothing "sludge metal" about early skinny puppy or front242. also p much none of the bands popular in the goth scene have ever been sludge metal so im not sure what you are even talking about

:goonsay:

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Ape Fist posted:

Jhonen Vasquez was peak trenchcoat matrix edgelord.

What the hell happened to him anyway? I mean he directed that video for MSI then dropped off the face of the earth.

I recently rewatched zim for the first time in a decade and I'm happy to say I'm still retarded enough to enjoy it. Gonna go off on a tangent here and state that subcultures and scenes suck, but that doesn't mean the music and media associated with them are bad. I've never dressed as a goth/rivethead, but I've been gorging myself on old industrial and ebm for a decade now and don't plan on stopping. At age 31 I'm getting into Christian Death and Bauhaus. The world is a loving sewer, I don't care if its considered immature to mope in private while listening to a bunch of dreary racket.

skeletonotherkin fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 6, 2016

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Tbh I don't think I would've noticed the artillery fire and bombing explosions when zim and gir were downtown except I was wearing headphones.

Some They Live poo poo.

The bizarre social commentary is great, but yeah, that convention sounds like a nightmare.

The colour palette reminds me of an old computer game nightmare ned

Which also brings the darker weirder episodes of courage the cowardly dog to mind.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

skeletonotherkin posted:

What the hell happened to him anyway?

he's working on a randumb new TMNT for the hologram pokemon that are growing up in tyool 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Which also brings the darker weirder episodes of courage the cowardly dog to mind.

oh, you mean every episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog

• Locked thread