Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Sentient Data posted:

Like most things, the show was good but the fans are trash

Second post in the thread and you will not find a greater truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Wasnt the guy who did courage a big jerk

Show still owns tho

I don't know about him being a jerk but I've heard from various sources that he's a bit crazy. John Kricfalusi of Ren and Stimpy fame has a reputation of being sort of a noxious rear end in a top hat if you're thinking of him.

My favorite bit of trivia about courage is that the original short was nominated for an Oscar.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gaz straight up killed a kid in the game slave episode.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, remember the 2000s?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There were some episodes of Courage the Cowardly Dog that had more emotional impact on me than like any other cartoon I've seen. That show was drat good.

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AXseEnXtsc

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

khwarezm posted:

I don't know about him being a jerk but I've heard from various sources that he's a bit crazy. John Kricfalusi of Ren and Stimpy fame has a reputation of being sort of a noxious rear end in a top hat if you're thinking of him.

the dexter's lab guy got his last show cancelled for airing this on television:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U008nGT0eww

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Say Nothing posted:

At the end of the episode Iggins lives and is arrested during Walk for your Lives.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

skeletonotherkin posted:

What the hell happened to him anyway? I mean he directed that video for MSI then dropped off the face of the earth.
I think he's one of those dudes who is incredibly ashamed of his angsty teenage years and how they bled well into his mid 20s. I mean, that's how I feel about myself, at least.

Zim's still quality, though. Kevin MacDonald was an underrated Kid in the Hall and hearing his voice always makes me feel happy. TV's Frank from Mystery Science Theater 3000 wrote for it. I still have the dumb box set in the shape of the house.

EDIT: I just put in the DVD and I haven't watched these in, like, a decade and I just noticed EVERY available surface is literally dripping with grease stains. It's so dingy.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 7, 2016

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Former edgelord who liked this show checking in. I liked JTHM too. <3

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Crow_Rodeo posted:

I had a girlfriend who had borderline personality disorder who was waaaaay into this poo poo

You don't say

Vakal
May 11, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

4. Most Horrible X-Mas Ever

I remember nothing about this episode except for the part where one of the children points out a plot hole or something in the story and the snowman telling it just picks the kid up and tucks him under his chair.

I don't know why but that always stuck with me for some reason.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
Courage is a show about a dog owned by a pair of old folks and they live in the middle of nowhere, it really is a testament to the relentless creativity of the showmakers. It makes sense that Courage would show up in this thread because its environment is so garishly accentuated, but on the other sides of the spectrum. While Zim is in an endlessly immense city reminiscent of Judge Dredd, Courage takes place in a wasteland so desolate that if it werent for all the modern appliances you could be convinced it was during the dust bowl. They put together some fantastically impactful episodes.

Hey, remember Rocko's Modern Life?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Wasn't the creator of zim a goon or something

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded

Say Nothing posted:

Naw, "IGGINS!" gets better.
I got all seven of the "Johnny the Homicidal Maniac" comix. Love it.
Now that would make a great Adult Swim series...

Dark? hell yah.

Like when he murders everyone in the Taco Shop and then goes back in the kitchen and kills the roaches too.
Or when he gets the power of Head Asplodey.
Or when he manually tears the pedophile's head in half vertically for going after Squee.
Or when he goes to Hell and finds that Satan is an insufferable simpering WASP cheerleader.

Heh. Heheh.
Now that's entertainment.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

dookifex_maximus posted:

Courage is a show about a dog owned by a pair of old folks and they live in the middle of nowhere, it really is a testament to the relentless creativity of the showmakers. It makes sense that Courage would show up in this thread because its environment is so garishly accentuated, but on the other sides of the spectrum. While Zim is in an endlessly immense city reminiscent of Judge Dredd, Courage takes place in a wasteland so desolate that if it werent for all the modern appliances you could be convinced it was during the dust bowl. They put together some fantastically impactful episodes.

https://youtu.be/3Ml4dA8TZTU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

dookifex_maximus posted:

after the pilot when season 1 got bought by nickelodeon, the creator joe murray's wife killed herself a couple months before they began production, and said it was b/c the show got picked up

in case you were wondering why that show was so dark

Soylent Grun
Nov 13, 2008

I had some friend back in high school who wouldn't stop like screaming memorized quotes from this show in public, I had to ghost her but then she used to leave messages on my phone of her screaming more quotes? Anyway Zim people are loving awful.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Can't believe no one mentioned the episode where dib becomes increasingly more crippled as zim throws pigs at him through a time machine

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

This thing I love is awesome except for all the dogshit people who love this thing I love is awesome except for all the dogshit people who love this thing I love is awesome except for all the dogshit people who love this thing I love

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
I was prime age for this show. I think I stumbled onto Johnny the Homicidal Maniac and Squee in freshman year of High School and this came out in Junior or Senior year. I loved it with all my stupid little goth kid heart but had no-one around me who ever watched it and wasn't around anyone who got obsessed with it in the years after it got canceled because at that point I had a job and a life.

It's only years later I stumbled across Gir fanatics and foamadventure.avi and poo poo like that, so my memory of this show is basically untainted by idiots.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like the episode where Zim and Dib turn into hams

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bolognious Maximus.

"Computer!? Has subject Dib absorbed the Bologna?"

"No. Subject Dib has been fused with subject Bologna."
One of the coolest things about the show was referencing movies that I loved as a kid. The Fly. Aliens. Predator. *Army of loving Darkness. It was made for weird kids like me and that was lovely.

Also, FBI Warning of DOOM, the one with Poop Dawg was a pretty interesting one as it was supposed to air after 9/11, but it contained scenes of burning buildings. So they had to go back and re-animate it which took weeks and when it finally aired it was the exact same scene they were told to take out.

*This is dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfNpbfK2EL4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXxCCHoZWLs

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Legit grateful in retrospect that when this show was on and I was the right age to be into it the older kids who controlled the TV kept it on MTV Base 24/7

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

dookifex_maximus posted:

Yeah it still holds up really well and I was bummed but not super surprised when I found out that the main guy who worked on it killed himself.

e: oh it was his wife who committed suicide, I remembered wrong. Still tho

Pretty good fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 7, 2016

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
oh poo poo Joe Murray killed himself?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Ein cooler Typ posted:

oh poo poo Joe Murray killed himself?
Nah I'm a dumdum

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I had hosed up dreams about the Bermuda Triangle episode for years goddamn.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I kinda wanna read them comics cause I'm 99% sure the cartoon was going to do some crazy poo poo with Dib's spaceship and the other invaders before it got cancelled, but I also desperately want to distance myself from anything remotely-related to the fandom. What should I do?

(feel free to chime in on this Vasquez I know you still browse this burning garbage-heap of a forum)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Read the comics.

However, they haven't done much with Dib's ship. The second issue they used it, and once more, but it's mostly been random adventures, like the show. Mostly good. It needs way more space poo poo and school issues though. I need more Ms. Bitters.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The only exposure I had to invader zim was my first roommate in college who had like 5 different gir plushies and would thrust them in your face and talk in that annoying gir voice. He tried making me watch it and I just couldn't take it when he'd fall on the floor laughing every time that thing came on the screen. I lasted I think 3 episodes before saying I had enough and going somewhere else for a while.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Zim was awesome although everyone seemed to think Gir was the best part of the show was he by far the least funny.

I WANT MY SLAW!

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
"Invader Zim is the best goddamn cartoon ever made except for the fist like four or five episodes (Which are pretty boring and unfunny)" is a thing I would never say because anyone I've met who likes the show is terrible people.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

after the pilot when season 1 got bought by nickelodeon, the creator joe murray's wife killed herself a couple months before they began production, and said it was b/c the show got picked up

in case you were wondering why that show was so dark

They finally put this show on DVD, I found it the other day at Walmart and picked it up without even thinking twice. I started from the pilot and I was wondering why this show was so tepid and not as funny as I remember, but as soon as the second episode it resumes that tone, so this makes sense.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Zeniel posted:

Zim was awesome although everyone seemed to think Gir was the best part of the show was he by far the least funny.

I WANT MY SLAW!

I once saw a fan site review episodes positively based on how much dumb poo poo Gir said, and negatively based on how Dib-centric the episode was.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ChickenHeart posted:

I kinda wanna read them comics cause I'm 99% sure the cartoon was going to do some crazy poo poo with Dib's spaceship and the other invaders before it got cancelled, but I also desperately want to distance myself from anything remotely-related to the fandom. What should I do?

how would reading the comics put you in any sort of contact with this fandom? just order them online jeez

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I remember liking hearing Kevin MacDonald in te show and being intrigued because I watched a bunch of kids in the hall around then. I also remember watching the episode where Zim gets lost in the city and burns the skin off his eyes blinding him because he looked at the sun to try and determine where he was. Good show but gir was overrated.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Leroy Dennui posted:

I once saw a fan site review episodes positively based on how much dumb poo poo Gir said, and negatively based on how Dib-centric the episode was.

These people are bad ultimately because Dib is the best.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Invader Zim sucked OP

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

CelticPredator posted:

These people are bad ultimately because Dib is the best.

An episode without Dib is like a bus without the constant, unending sound of air being slowly let out of a balloon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zim centric episodes own too, and there were sadly too little of them.

• Locked thread