Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
I got the tv rips off of kazaa back in the early days. The person who had recorded and encoded it had also added a 10 second intro with one of those "encoded by.." things, because obviously if you encoded stuff back then you were hot poo poo.
So thanks Phangue, where ever you are. Thanks for the episodes, but not so much thanks for exposing me to furries or your wolf man fursona you included in those intros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I also liked how the show would both maintain and mock its loose continuity, such as when Dib recalls how he and Zim turned into balogna, an episode that never had a resolution

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

These people are bad ultimately because Dib is the best.

I loved how the world was more indifferent and flat out unfair to Dib than it was to Zim.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Zim's water balloon that levels the entire city

skeletonotherkin posted:

I loved how the world was more indifferent and flat out unfair to Dib than it was to Zim.

The first episode dib calls out zim for having green skin and one of the other kids is like dude you can't call people aliens just because they're different, is old kid an alien too?

When zim is checking on the other invaders and they're wildly successful I wonder if it has less to do with them having functioning robot units and more that you don't choose a elementary school kid as your disguise

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Dib's only real talent is being constantly ignored or antagonized by the universe

The best example of this is when he saves a bus of kids by sitting near them, forcing everyone to one side and diverting its course away from a hell dimension

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think Dib's character is legit interesting because he does want to be the hero, but he also wants people to know he's the hero. Like he stops Zim from crushing the Earth with Mars, but what he really cares about is no one saw it on camera. Deep down, he just wants someone to give a poo poo about him. So sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro8CVmIoyt4

He's funnier towards the end of the show where he cares just so much less and is like "gently caress whatever" at every ending.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

I saw a squirrel!

Kashuno posted:

Invader Zim sucked OP

I rather feel sorry for you.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ChickenHeart posted:

Dib's only real talent is being constantly ignored or antagonized by the universe

The best example of this is when he saves a bus of kids by sitting near them, forcing everyone to one side and diverting its course away from a hell dimension

"You're just begging for the moose!"

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
if you cant appreciate the utter loathing and contempt for humanity present in every scene of invader zim what are you even doing on these forums?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

after the pilot when season 1 got bought by nickelodeon, the creator joe murray's wife killed herself a couple months before they began production, and said it was b/c the show got picked up

in case you were wondering why that show was so dark

drat

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Show was pretty drat good. There's never been another show like it. Every aspect of the show was so weird and grim that it became silly. I might have to watch it again sometime.

Pitdragon posted:

if you cant appreciate the utter loathing and contempt for humanity present in every scene of invader zim what are you even doing on these forums?

Also this.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 7, 2016

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Zim's water balloon that levels the entire city

The first episode dib calls out zim for having green skin and one of the other kids is like dude you can't call people aliens just because they're different, is old kid an alien too?

When zim is checking on the other invaders and they're wildly successful I wonder if it has less to do with them having functioning robot units and more that you don't choose a elementary school kid as your disguise

Invader Tak probably would have been successful were it not for Zim and Dib, and she probably would have done a better job fooling Dib if she were the Irken invader instead of Zim.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tak is one of the dopest episodes of the show.

DELICIOUS WEENIESSS!

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Invader Zim could have been called MEAT: The Cartoon and nothing would have to change

SpookyTurtle
Jun 13, 2003

Top of the food chain, Ma!

ChickenHeart posted:

I kinda wanna read them comics cause I'm 99% sure the cartoon was going to do some crazy poo poo with Dib's spaceship and the other invaders before it got cancelled, but I also desperately want to distance myself from anything remotely-related to the fandom. What should I do?

(feel free to chime in on this Vasquez I know you still browse this burning garbage-heap of a forum)

https://twitter.com/JhonenV/status/332618611757813760

JtHM was really good, and I hope that everyone who agrees also read the spin-offs: "Squee" and the Zim-like colorful "I Feel Sick"
(also Fillerbunny, Bad Art Collection, Everything Can Be Beaten)

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Pitdragon posted:

For real

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wamdoodle posted:

"You're just begging for the moose!"

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

SpookyTurtle posted:

I hope that everyone who agrees also read the spin-offs: "Squee"

Do this, if only for the Meanwhiles, left out of the complete volume of JtHM for whatever reason. Also, Johnny is in the last bit of Squee, rendered in a different, sorta proto-Zim style.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Squee holds up real good. The one where Todd goes into the bathroom to pee and is confronted by a man who shits out dookie blood almost made me piss myself.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It really bothers me that there's no curved lines in this show.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Wobbly Headed Bob really spoke to me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

notZaar posted:

It really bothers me that there's no curved lines in this show.

that one nurse who checks and approves zim's organs in Dark Harvest has curves and she obviously doesn't belong in this world.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

I think Dib's character is legit interesting because he does want to be the hero, but he also wants people to know he's the hero. Like he stops Zim from crushing the Earth with Mars, but what he really cares about is no one saw it on camera. Deep down, he just wants someone to give a poo poo about him. So sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro8CVmIoyt4

He's funnier towards the end of the show where he cares just so much less and is like "gently caress whatever" at every ending.

Exactly, Zim despite being a complete idiot wisely only seeks the admiration of his direct superiors, while Dib, despite being less stupid, seeks validation from everyone. Dib really is a tragic character, hes definitely more intelligent than his peers, but is constantly beaten down by harsh reality and thus ends up a broken spirit. Zim on the other hand is all confidence and no competence and some how manages to survive every failure with ego intact. Its a great kids show because it prepares children for the horror that is the adult corporate world. Zim if born human would most likely end up middle management.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Alright I'm gonna read these terrible comics, some of which are apparently made by KC Green (another artist who will forever be haunted by his 1-2 popular works that fans fanatically latch onto and will never escape from)

Will report back on whether these are any good for reading/actually 60 pages of horrifying incest fanfiction

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

after the pilot when season 1 got bought by nickelodeon, the creator joe murray's wife killed herself a couple months before they began production, and said it was b/c the show got picked up

in case you were wondering why that show was so dark

Welp that's something I didn't know. Poor dude.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Naerasa posted:

Welp that's something I didn't know. Poor dude.

Quotes from the man himself:

quote:

"I often directly blamed my wife's suicide in 1992 on Rocko getting picked up ( it happened as we were preparing to start production of the series.)" and "I, at times do the same with Lazlo. Again, another positive in my life, and yet I went through a painful divorce in the middle of it."

quote:

Pain and suffering are always a part of life, but so is impermanence. The good times come and go, as well as the bad. Great inspired work weaves in and out. Victories and defeats.

None of it is worth taking your life over. And if someone could see the ripple of pain and grief that a suicide causes to everyone around them, anyone with a sane notion would not do it. Someone with a fatal disease in an enormous amount of pain is a different story.

At any rate. TV is not important. Money and fame is not important. Preserving your reputation is not important.

Life on life’s terms. The moment. Right now. That’s important. Feeling it with serenity.

Cherish your life.

:smith:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

CJacobs posted:

Quotes from the man himself:

:smith:

Fuckin brutal mate

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The people who annoyed you in high school quoting Invader Zim grew up to be the people who annoy you on Facebook because they keep posting Rick & Morty memes.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

skeletonotherkin posted:

Exactly, Zim despite being a complete idiot wisely only seeks the admiration of his direct superiors, while Dib, despite being less stupid, seeks validation from everyone. Dib really is a tragic character, hes definitely more intelligent than his peers, but is constantly beaten down by harsh reality and thus ends up a broken spirit. Zim on the other hand is all confidence and no competence and some how manages to survive every failure with ego intact. Its a great kids show because it prepares children for the horror that is the adult corporate world. Zim if born human would most likely end up middle management.

"You're the worst student I've ever had, Zim!"

"Then perhaps you've trained me too well!"

"...No, really. You're the worst."

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Guy Mann posted:

The people who annoyed you in high school quoting Invader Zim grew up to be the people who annoy you on Facebook because they keep posting Rick & Morty memes.

Just block them from your timeline one by one as they post memes.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Okay Dib literally turned into a disgusting fat goon waiting for Zim after the show ended; this comic is off to a pretty good start

Edit: "Odds of not exploding while in atmosphere...decent." Dib's ship really hates Dib

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 8, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bro Dad posted:

the dexter's lab guy got his last show cancelled for airing this on television:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U008nGT0eww

Was this confirmed as what did it? I always heard poo poo ratings. It could be both.

To this day I have no idea what the gently caress anyone was thinking letting that air on a kid's network. Not because I think it's like, morally repugnant and little johnny "has a broadband connection" is going to get destroyed by animated twerks, it's more in the same way you feel when you see a 350+ person who can't move on their own anymore-- "That was not an overnight issue. That happened slowly, with dozens of warning signs that people could have caught and didn't. What were those events? Who were the people that failed in this situation?" It's like a living autopsy you want to put Sherlock Holmes on.

ChickenHeart posted:

Okay Dib literally turned into a disgusting fat goon waiting for Zim after the show ended; this comic is off to a pretty good start

Yeah say what you will about Zim's fanbase but Zim as a franchise's greatest strength was that it is always very honest about its characters and world. That's why the seemingly scatalogical stuff resonates so hard, it's satire without any sort of form-- it's just one loud, utterly sincere airhorn sound of "THE WORLD IS FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK" that rings in your earbones for a long time afterwards.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Was this confirmed as what did it? I always heard poo poo ratings. It could be both.

To this day I have no idea what the gently caress anyone was thinking letting that air on a kid's network. Not because I think it's like, morally repugnant and little johnny "has a broadband connection" is going to get destroyed by animated twerks, it's more in the same way you feel when you see a 350+ person who can't move on their own anymore-- "That was not an overnight issue. That happened slowly, with dozens of warning signs that people could have caught and didn't. What were those events? Who were the people that failed in this situation?" It's like a living autopsy you want to put Sherlock Holmes on.

I watched couple of episodes(including the one that clip is from) after seeing that clip and it was a very strange looking show that had none of the charm of any of the things that it seems like it draws inspiration from, it seems like it doesn't succeed with the slice of life stuff, there's nothing funny in there, the superhero stuff they're doing looks like the blandest imitation of any "monster of the week" or mecha series.

Weird/controversial stuff ends up in cartoons somewhat often, and I don't actually remember any shows getting cancelled because of those things, I can only assume it was cancelled for being a bad show that nobody liked.

There's a great list of shows that have been cancelled with only one episode on wikipedia, shows tend to get cancelled for either being poo poo nobody likes or because random other issues.

The main exception to that being "Heil Honey I'm Home!" which apparently was a sitcom about Adolf and Eva living happily until a couple of Jews move in next door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf9jJx0NSjw&t=53s

Edit: I'm not sure if something counts as being cancelled for being offensive if it's just that the series is offensively bad.

lohli fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 8, 2016

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Symbionic was actually a really great show but it's a slow burn. It takes a few episodes to really establish the characters and world. The action was great from the start though, as you would expect from Tartakovsky.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ChickenHeart posted:

Edit: "Odds of not exploding while in atmosphere...decent." Dib's ship really hates Dib

Oh, you don't know how much. The second issue is the meanest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyvDQcBf-zc

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

notZaar posted:

Symbionic was actually a really great show but it's a slow burn. It takes a few episodes to really establish the characters and world. The action was great from the start though, as you would expect from Tartakovsky.

I recall watching some of it and it was a really slow burn. Tartakovsky's Samurai Jack influence really showed in quieter, character moments which made the left-field twerking seem even more bizarre than it already is. I remember one scene in a gym where the boy is practicing fighting and this girl he hasn't met shows up, and the two basically flirt through sparring only for him to walk away because he isn't going to prom or some dumb poo poo. It's a tired old concept, yet I recall the use of negative space, silence, and timing making the whole thing really memorable and affecting in a way you don't seen in most adult shows, much less kids ones.

I agree with lohi that the action was rather pedestrian though, especially for someone with Tartakovsky's pedigree. Plus much as I love Brian Poeshen his main character was ridiculously unlikable.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
My favourite episode was the one where Zim grows a huge zit, draws a face on it and hypnotizes the other kids.
Turns out it was written by TV's Frank of MST3K-fame and was the only thing he did on the show.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
...Aaand Gaz may-or-may-not have killed countless alternate versions of herself for the sake of having a montage with a Dark Souls parody in it.

Yeah, these comics are pretty much a continuation of the show, terrible Gir moments and all

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That comic is my favourite. I don't watch Zim for any kind of sweetness, but it was nice that for a moment, Dib and Gaz came to an understanding.

Also that game montage was loving hilariously mean.

And I'm glad they pretty much sidelined Gir for the most part. He's barely in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
So what has to be done to get Cartoon Network to do a JtHM series?

A petition? A Kickstarter?
Assaulting the offices of Adult Swim with grenade launchers and kitten mortars?
Blackmail? Bribery?

What? Name it.
I wanna see it. It would be beaucoup awesome. The world deserves this.

• Locked thread